Fourth Vector Ch. 27

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I guess some lessons don't take the first time," said Trevor, once more beginning to feel the tension in the room.

"Or the second or the third," said Smart. "Or the tenth in this case. You see, Downing, it's hard for me to sympathize with you Tyroleans. You have everything you could possibly want. You have your freedoms and your security, thanks to Javan armed forces. Your people certainly aren't slaves as you're free to come and go as you please, work the jobs you want to work, and raise your families as you see fit. So I'm at a loss, Downing. What makes Javan leadership so hard for you Tyroleans to accept?"

Trevor recognized the bait before Smart was finishing speaking. Instead of giving a real answer, he sidestepped it carefully. "I never did understand myself. I can't fathom what makes some people continue to fight."

"I think it's a question of intelligence," continued Smart as he gave Trevor an odd look. "I think you Tyroleans are missing brain cells. It's the only explanation that makes any sense. Why else would you rebel? Unless you're too goddamned stupid to see the benefit of being part of the empire? What do you think, Downing? Do you think your countrymen are the brain-dead parasites like I do?" Smart smirked at the end of his sentence, no doubt hoping that Trevor would get upset.

Trevor took a deep breath to steady himself. "I can't say why we act this way. Perhaps you're right. Maybe it's above my mental fortitude to answer such questions."

The smile disappeared from Smart's face, no doubt from realizing that he wasn't going to set Trevor off in this way. At that moment, Trevor understood that this man was far more duplicitous than he let on. He wasn't going to simply roll over and die. Smart knew that Trevor was involved, and he was going to stalk him until he could get Trevor to admit it.

"I can tell you one thing though, Downing," said Smart as he reclined back in his chair. He took another long puff of his cigarette. "When we catch these rebels, they are going to wish they were nothing more than brain-dead parasites. Every single one of them that ends up in our hands is going to curse the day their mother so much as looked at their father. I can promise you that. I don't care what it takes to root out this little rebellion. Flaying, crucifixion, garroting—all of it is fair game. I won't rest until all of Tyrol goes up in flames if that's what it takes."

Trevor raised an eyebrow as he glared back at the seemingly deranged Javan captain. "I thought this was a peacekeeping mission? You make this sound like an all-out war already, Captain."

Smart started to laugh and then said something that sounded very similar to words Trevor had heard the other day. "It's going to be an all-out war, Downing. You Tyroleans will do what you do best—that is make a big enough ruckus here in the mountains until an army is created to destroy you. We'll do what we do best—leading that same army as it razes every village in Tyrol to the ground. This time will be different though. This time, the devastation will be so bad that Tyrol will simply cease to exist. There will be no mention of her any longer. No words about her people, no stories about her customs. We're tired of playing this game with you. So when this war does kick off in earnest, you better hold close to you all the things you hold dear. You won't see them on the other side of it."

Trevor's hands balled into fists under his desk. He saw himself already beating Smart's head against the tiled floor and watching as his brains spilled out and discolored the off-white texture. He saw the marine presence for what it was—the beginning of the end.

He wondered if he could leap over the table and take out Smart before he thought to grab his sidearm. It was just a tempting enough idea to consider before Smart started to speak again.

"There is another thing to think about, Downing," said Smart finally as he finished his cigarette. He snuffed it out against Trevor's desk, leaving the smoking remnant right there in front of him. "We will consider leniency against any member of the Movement that comes forward with more information about the group or more specifically, the members inside the Movement."

"So you're looking for rats, is that right?" asked Trevor.

Smart smirked. "Call it what you will but if you're the only one left standing after the war, is it not better to be a rat than to be dead? That's for you to decide. If you change your mind or suddenly find yourself with a wealth of knowledge about these Movement members, you know where to find me."

Before Smart could exit, he turned around to look at Trevor one more time. "Very nice store you have here by the way. I'd hate to see anything happen to it." He grinned. "Happy shopkeeping, Downing."

Trevor sat in stunned silence for too long. For once, he was barely able to control his anger. The interaction with Captain Smart had been eye-opening to say the least. The man really did seem like he wanted to bring total devastation to Tyrol.

At first, Trevor tried to rationalize whether it was just the thoughts and feelings of one captain, and whether this coming tension would indeed evolve into a war. It was the second time that week that he'd heard such a sentiment, and now it was from the other side. Would the Javans really leave a trail of devastation in Tyrol that was impossible to recover from?

Just like that, Trevor had his answer. There was no way that war would escape them now. He'd been entirely wrong when he counseled caution to Reese Bach the other day.

The decision had already been made, just not by Trevor. He could only abide with the consequences.

Trevor waited a couple hours until his anger had sated before he left the store around lunchtime. His destination was the convenience store owned by the Bach brothers, where he knew he could get a hot meal at this time of day. It wasn't the meal he was going for, although it was a convenient excuse in case he was stopped by any marines.

He found Reese inside the store manning the only register. Despite a small crowd inside the building, there was no one else around Reese, and Trevor rushed over to him. Reese's eyes went wide at seeing Trevor's face.

"I've never seen you looking so pissed before," said Reese in a low whisper. "What's up?"

Trevor's words were firm. "Alert the men. We're going to rescue your brother and free Amboy tomorrow night."

*****

Darcy the whore was in a foul mood.

It had been the second night in a row that she hadn't been able to find any customers, making the entire evening a waste. The gods knew she had enough competition as it was, but some of these were new girls, many of whom were whoring for the first time since their men had lost their jobs after the Swabian occupation of half the city. With most of them having burned through their meager savings in the last few months, the prettier ones found themselves on the street corner with Darcy, all trying to keep food on the already bare table.

Darcy understood that sentiment better than most. She'd been a whore for nearly five years, and had seen enough lean times to know what real hunger looked like. When the plague ravished the city the previous summer, all the whores nearly starved due to the desire to keep away from other people. When the plague disappeared, her old regulars started coming back (those that were still alive that is) but it wasn't much of a living until Adalbert came along.

Darcy started shaking her head. She didn't know what to make of the man or why he stayed in the city when his countrymen were only a few hundred yards away from her house. She didn't care though, as long as he kept paying her. He wasn't that bad for company, at least until recently.

She was struggling to figure out what had caused the change in him last week because it was indeed a change. He seemed so much more distant than usual. Even their regular sex was put on hold, and he scarcely seemed interested in her anymore. Part of her questioned if she was losing her skill in the sack but that had never been the case before.

He just wasn't interested.

What he was interested in was work. He locked himself in his spare room, rarely coming out for food or for sleep. When he wasn't in the room, he was out in the city, something that he used to tell her he would only do for necessities since any one trip could spell his doom if the Picards caught him. Darcy had to wonder if he was fucking another woman. Surely there couldn't be any other explanation, right?

She arrived home shortly after two in the morning only to see a light still on in his room. Once again he was working diligently when he would normally be sleeping, so Darcy crept over and knocked on his door several times until he finally opened.

His eyes were bloodshot and the bags under them were heavy but there was a seriousness in his gaze once his eyes were fixed on her.

"I'm back for the night," she said, all the while putting on a sympathetic smile. "Another dud of a night. No customers."

"You'll do better tomorrow," he said briskly, moving to close the door.

Darcy slipped her foot in between the door and the frame. "Wait just a second, okay? It's really late and you're usually sleeping. What gives?"

"I'm busy," he replied. "Too much to do."

"Put it down and do me instead," she said, putting on an inviting smile. "Spending the whole night without any johns doesn't do me any good. I actuallylike sex and I'm horny. Come fuck me."

She paused for a moment, hoping to see that look in his eyes when he was in the mood for sex. He would usually check out her body, his eyes moving from her neck down to her breasts before settling on her hips. He'd then bring his gaze back up to her eyes and that was usually all it took. He'd be hard in no time and ready for action.

It wasn't meant to be tonight.

"Some other night," he replied, pushing her foot out of the door.

"Wait!" yelled Darcy. He halted the door and looked at her tenuously. Darcy yanked up her skirt and grabbed his hand. She swiped it against her sex, letting her wetness coat his fingers. "I need a good fucking. Look how wet I am. You can have me any way you like. All three holes are on the table."

That ought to do it, she thought.He can't resist fucking my ass.

Her smile turned to shit when he shook his head. "I told you, I'm busy. Talk to me tomorrow," said Adalbert before finally shutting the door in her face.

Darcy sighed as her anger got the better of her. She pounded on his door several times. "Asshole! Fuck you, your dick couldn't make me happy if you tried!"

When he didn't respond, she stomped her way to her bedroom, slamming the door behind her. He had some nerve! She let him live in this house with only the simple requirement that he contribute to the cost of living there and not be an asshole. All of that had worked out well in the previous few months but he'd gone off the deep end!

She'd even done some snooping of her own, trying to find out what he kept locked in his room during those many times when he was out prowling the city. All he had were maps—maps of Daban overlaid on top of each other. Maps that showed the front lines of the entire city.

None of it made any sense. He cared more about maps than he did about fucking her!

Darcy began to wonder if he'd truly lost his mind in the last week. No other explanation made sense.

What was she going to do about him?

*****

After about a week in Daban, Jack felt like he was truly back where he belonged. It wasn't a feeling that centered so much on Picardy but on the West in general. After the climactic Battle of Aberdeen, his feeling about Java had steadily declined in significance, taking a backseat to the more pressing business of stopping the Swabians from overrunning all of Picardy.

To that end, he'd been busy. The last week had seen not only the positioning of the arriving marines, but it also saw regular Javan patrols of the bay, hoping in part to keep the Swabian fleet that was still out there from sneaking up on them. It was also a moment for Jack to reacquaint himself with the marines that had stayed on Picardy, making several runs per day to their lines while seeing the tactical situation for himself. He wasn't surprised to see that many of those men were haggard, and in some cases, they questioned why they were still in Picardy in the first place.

For that reason, Jack considered his presence crucial to explaining the bigger picture as to why Picardy couldn't be abandoned and why the Javan marines mattered so much to that. After making regular visits to the marines, he could definitely feel the weight of their morale shifting, but it was also the knowledge that with the warmer temperatures, it was finally becoming time for them to strike back at the besiegers.

That particular evening, Jack was in good spirits. He'd just received news that Queen Reina of Carinthia was sending two more full strength regiments to Picardy. The news electrified the allies and once more thought was given to the strategy at finally liberating the city. With Jack due to sit in a united war council the next day, he wanted to share the news tonight with someone he could talk to.

That someone was his sister, Vera, whose door he knocked on not long after dinner, and who was just as excited as he was to hear about the Carinthian reinforcements.

"That is wonderful to hear, Jack," said Vera as they sat down near the hearth of her room. "First you're back and now the Carinthians. Maybe we can have a hope of getting Picardy freed entirely before this is done."

"We all need it, don't we?" replied Jack. "This war in this country has been going on long enough. I'm just glad the timing works out. If we'd been anymore delayed, the Swabians might have started a spring offensive."

Vera shuddered visibly. "I can tell you that was one thing that Greg was most worried about. Probably still is most worried about if we're being honest."

"It's probably crossed everyone's mind," said Jack. "But one step at a time. By the time the Carinthians are here, then we can seriously begin to turn this around."

She smiled genuinely. "I missed you so much, do you know that?"

Vera pushed up from her seat and wrapped her arms around him. "I didn't realize how much I would miss you until you were gone. It's funny, Jack. I spent most of my life without you but now that you're here, I don't like you not being in it."

Jack chuckled as he held her. "I know the feeling. I missed you plenty when we were in Java. I wish I could have shown it to you. Not because I loved the place but more so you could've seen what my early life was like. How I grew up, where, when, etc."

Vera gave him a sad smile. "Kat told me that she got to meet your sister. I really wished I could have been there for that."

"You would like Jocelyn," said Jack. "She's got her hands full with all of those little boys but she has a heart of gold, just like you do."

"How did she take all the events of the past year? Was she surprised? Shocked? Aghast?"

Jack nodded. "Maybe a little of all three? I'm definitely surprised at how easy it was for her to accept it. It's a big change finding out your only brother is not really your brother, not to mention all the implications of that. Jocelyn took it in stride though. I think what she was most upset about was the idea that I might not come back to Java anymore."

"Do you think it would come to that, Jack? It was hard to pry the information out of Kat but she mentioned something about the trouble with your leadership there." Vera took a deep breath. "What do you think that means for your future?"

Jack considered the question for a moment, wondering if he should be fully upfront with her or whether he should sugarcoat the response. He didn't want Vera to worry but then again, nothing was set in stone. He chose a middle path instead.

"Things aren't the greatest there now," said Jack candidly. "Sometimes, it surprises me that they allowed me to come back with all that happened. I get the impression my leash doesn't have as much slack as it did before."

"Does that worry you?"

Jack shrugged. "To a degree. I try not to think about it. Anything can change, you know? Even though leadership may not be too fond of me right now, the general populace of Java associate me with the Battle of Aberdeen. It's not like they can easily get rid of me if they wanted to. At least not right now."

"From what I heard, it sounds like they think you're insane for wanting to come back over here," said Vera. "Kat said they don't really believe the story about your true background."

Jack smiled. "Those are Javans for you. Javans are a sensible people that don't give much thought to things they can't see or prove. If I remember right, I had a hard time accepting the truth at first too."

"And now?" pressed Vera. "What are your thoughts now?"

Jack went quiet for a minute. Even though he was still part of the Javan military and the senior officer in the West for Java, his loyalties had started to shift. More and more, Galicia was beginning to take over a place in his heart, a bizarre feeling for a place that he'd never even been to before. That same sense of purpose that he'd felt was so missing when he was back in Java came back full force once he'd spotted Sorella, and it hadn't left since.

"My thoughts are that I'm exactly where I need to be," said Jack firmly. "I'm here between the free people of the West and the Swabians who would hope to conquer them. That's where I'm needed most and that's where I'll stay."

Vera beamed with a smile. "You really are a king, Jack. You may not have a throne or a crown right now, but that royal blood within you is shining so bright right now."

"Don't forget yourself, sister," he joked. "You have the same blood as me."

Vera shrugged and then smiled again. "True but you're the one that everyone has been waiting for, not me. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't upset me. I'm fine being the sister to a hero. But it should go without saying that you were the one that was born for this, Jack."

"Just luck of the draw more than anything," he said quietly. "I can't help what I was born into."

"No, you can't," said Vera. "But you could have turned your back on everyone. You could have ditched Kat and I back on Sorella and continued on your mission for Java. You were the one that chose to fight in Picardy and Andalucia for that matter. You went to Carinthia looking for reinforcements, and you saved Heron's throne because it was the right thing to do. And you've had your share of loss too."

Jack hung his head at those words, remembering all of those who had died in the past year. Anna, Bill, Vicky, not to mention countless marines that had given their lives for their cause. A cause that was increasingly not even Javan anymore.

"Everyone recognizes how much you've sacrificed, Jack," continued Vera quietly. "We know that it's just the beginning of all of this still, but I am thankful for all that you've done. I'm not only thankful that I know you, but I'm thankful that you're my brother."

Vera reached up to wipe a tear from her eye. There wasn't much else that Jack could do besides embrace her again. Of all the things that had happened in the past year, finding Vera was amongst his proudest.

"You always know exactly what to say to me. Especially when I need it most," he whispered against her ear.

Vera giggled. "It comes with the territory, didn't you know?"

When the hug ended, Vera reached up to touch a spot just below her chest. "Ever since you've been back in Picardy, I can feel the bond so much clearer now. I felt it leave when you went back to Java but ever since you were a few days out from Daban, I could start to feel it get stronger again."

1...56789...12