Fourth Vector Ch. 30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What about the marine force, Greg?" asked Kat. "Can they all be trusted to fight? Or are they likely to retain their loyalty?"

Dustin stepped forward to answer. "I can take that one, Kat. I've managed to talk with a good deal of the men. Many of them know about Jack and his heritage after leaks from the navy, which I was told ultimately came from Abigail."

Abigail actually looked embarrassed for a moment. "I had to tell them something when Jack went missing. Although, I didn't expect the news to go all the way through the marines as well."

"Word travels fast when it's good gossip," said Dustin with an amused expression. "Anyway, all this fighting in the Vector over the past year has caused many of our veteran marines to reexamine their relationship with Jack and with the land that they're fighting for. While the majority of the men respect Jack and Greg to a large degree, asking someone to turn their back on their homeland is a big ask, although many of them would fight for whomever pays them. The short answer is that I'd expect most of them to stay with the force. Those that will not continue to fight for us can be detained and sent on the next ship back to Java but I think it won't be that many."

"Keeping that force intact is one of the only reasons we haven't lost Daban," said Aedan. "So anything you can do to keep those men fighting together under our banner would be most appreciated."

"Dustin and I will take care of the marines," said Greg. "But we do have one more problem on our hands at the moment. That's Captain Barnabas and theCenturion. He's not likely to react well when news of the viceroy reaches him."

"Do you think he would do anything drastic?" asked Aedan. "He wouldn't open fire in an effort to intervene, would he?"

"Barnabas is obstinate and has a low opinion of those in the West," said Abigail. "So I don't believe he would have any qualms doing so in an effort to get to safer waters. He'll have to be neutralized right away in an effort to secure theCenturion for our use as well."

Greg shared a commiserating smile with Abigail. Only this morning, they were loyal officers of the Javan Empire. Now they were both rebels contemplating the seizure of Javan personnel and equipment. It was quite the change in pace for a single twenty-four hour period.

"How do we want to handle this Captain Barnabas then?" asked Aedan. "The last thing we need is a naval shelling of Daban."

Abigail took a deep breath. "I will figure something out on this. I'll find a way to apprehend him."

*****

News managed to travel quickly.

In this case, it could be blamed on the marines for being the ones to spread the word amongst each other of the viceroy's fate. It didn't need to have gone any further than that to hit the ears of one of the newer marines, who was acting as Barnabas' eyes and ears within the palace. With so much deceit going on with the officers who'd served under Jack Easterbrook, Barnabas had taken steps to hire his own spies to keep a lock on the pulse at the palace.

And money well spent it was.

It was scarcely more than twenty-five minutes after Viceroy Ferris had been apprehended by that rogue officer, Greg Vaughn, that Captain Barnabas heard about it onboard theCenturion. The news was shocking but only to a certain degree. All of these Javans had been tainted by association with Jack Easterbrook and now they were willing to commit treason against a Javan government official in order to appease him. The fact that this second-rate admiral commanded such loyalty with these people was pure madness, something that passed beyond Barnabas' comprehension skills.

Despite the fact that it was Viceroy Ferris that was apprehended, Barnabas felt he was in danger. There was no love lost between him and Abigail, and he'd done his best to make his position known on how he felt on certain subjects. That had earned him the enmity of the rest of the officers (but really, who needed those bunch of hacks anyway), and now Barnabas found himself operating a single battleship alone in enemy waters.

His first instinct was to escape but that would mean leaving the viceroy to certain death. If anything happened to the man, it would be a stain on his record. The viceroy would have to be rescued and the rogue leaders like Vaughn and Wainwright would have to answer for their crimes.

"Put together a few squads of the new regiment that had embarked on theCenturion," barked Barnabas to the marine spy. "We're going to need to put together a rescue mission. Only pick men that you trust and make sure they're ready to move out by nightfall."

As the marine set about the task, Barnabas took a moment to look out on the city. He signaled his deputy to get word to the bridge to put the crew on high alert.

We'll see who gets the last laugh today, he thought with grim satisfaction.

*****

The first hints of light were already starting to reach Jack's cell. As luck would have it, a single solitary strand managed to find the spot where his eye was, a magnificent feat in itself considering his position lying on the floor of the cell. Jack inched away from the spot but it did him no good. He was already awake.

Stretching his back, he sat straight up and wiped the sleep from his eyes. The night had been a restless one, only because it promised to be the last night he would ever experience.

In a few short hours, he would be executed by Eric Rosdahl for the simple crime of being born into the wrong family. It was a fate that seemed entirely wrong, especially given the events of the past year. He would have had a hard time accepting it if not for the fact that the entire prophecy that revolved around him had already predicted his death. He remembered the passage well, one that stated he had to have sired a child before his final battle. Well, he'd already done that. Even now, his child was growing in Kat's stomach so he'd upheld that portion of the bargain.

Was this truly his final battle? Would his death here today in Kalmar give his side the edge they needed over the ultimate evil of the Swabians? He didn't have answers for those questions, but if it came to pass that today would be his last day, at least he could go to his grave knowing that the line of Galicia would live on. As long as Kat lived and stayed far away from her cousin, the line would remain unbroken.

It was with that heavy heart that Jack prepared for his death. He spent the next half hour in his own form of meditation, the many names and faces drifting through his mind to which he would never get a chance to say goodbye. He thought of Jocelyn and her family and hoped they would remain safe during the coming turmoil in Java. He thought about Greg, Dustin, and the marines and hoped they would be able to see their way through the Swabian war safely. He thought about all his commanders in the task force and hoped they would be able to return home safely. He thought about Vera and wished her strength for the days to come.

Mostly, he thought about Abigail, Kat, and his child. It had been so long since he last gazed into the faces of both women. He wondered how Kat was faring with the pregnancy. He hoped they weren't too despondent about his capture, and in time, they would be able to move on after he was gone.

Once he was satisfied with his own goodbyes, Jack placed himself next to the iron bars to await his executioner. He could see the sun was now up, and at any moment, he expected the sound of footsteps on their way to escort him to the gallows.

Jack swallowed heavily when he heard them. He closed his eyes rather than watch them approach, vowing to keep his chin raised and die with dignity.

What he found instead when he opened his eyes was an older man in front of him. His hair was silver in color, extending from the top of his head all the way down to his heavy beard. His eyes were weary and his body had seen better days, but he appeared to be unbroken in spirit.

"Who are you?" asked Jack. "You don't look like any executioner that I've ever seen."

The old man stared back at him. "A friend, Your Majesty. My name is Bill Calland. It was my servant, Peter, who came to find you."

"So you're the famous Bill Calland that I've heard so much about?" asked Jack before he looked behind the other man. "I thought you were on house arrest. What are you doing here?"

"I'm doing something that needs to happen. I'm stopping an event that can't proceed for the good of all Galicia," replied Bill cryptically. He finally settled his eyes back on Jack. "In other words, I'm getting you out of here, Your Majesty."

"How did you get out of your house arrest?" asked Jack.

"By using my servants to distract the guards at the door long enough for me to get off a shot in their backs," said Bill without emotion. "It wasn't the cleanest way to do it, but our time is very limited."

Jack actually smiled. "It sounds like you're committed to this."

Bill nodded. "I can't let the Galician king die like this. I'd never be able to live down the shame. Now, let's get working on getting you out."

"Bill, I don't doubt your heart, but I hope you brought more of you," said Jack as he appraised the older man. "I doubt you'll be able to even pull these iron bars open even with the counterweight disengaged."

Bill actually smiled. "Don't worry, I brought some help."

It was then that the old lord gave a short, low whistle. In a matter of seconds, three more men appeared, all with the appearance of soldiers in their prime. They wore berets for headgear, as well as a basic drab colored uniform that was in such good condition that it didn't even sport a wrinkle. All three sported rifles over their shoulders.

Jack looked back to Bill. "Now I see how you got past the guards."

Bill grinned. "I figured it would give us more than enough time to do the work that we needed." He then gestured to the men. "Come on, boys, let's get the king out of here."

The three burly soldiers had no issue with pulling the iron bars open after they'd disengaged the counterweight. For the first time in two months, Jack was able to step forward without restraint in some form. It was a similar experience to being put in command of a ship for the first time. His only thought was of freedom.

"Bill, I thank you for getting me the hell out of here," said Jack once he was free. "But I hope there was more to your plan than just this. What's next?"

The older man smirked. "Well, I can't exactly hide you in my own home, now can I? If you and I don't get out of here shortly, we'll both suffer the same fate. We need to leave Kalmar, and we need to do it now."

"Where can we go?" asked Jack. "I'm not familiar with this part of the world."

"We can worry about that later," said Bill. "The first thing we'll need to do is to get passage out of the city. Everyone in Kalmar is able to feel the bond with you right now. They won't be able to tell when you're moving through the city because you're already close enough but Eric Rosdahl is going to know anytime now when his guards don't check in at the end of their shift. He'll send the entire army after us."

"I'm not doubting the ability of these three fine men," said Jack as he gestured to the soldiers. "But we can't hold off an entire army."

"We won't have to," said Bill. "I've made arrangements to get to the location of a regiment that used to be loyal to me."

"Used to be?"

"Before Rosdahl stripped me of everything," said Bill bitterly. "That included taking the regiments under my personal command. If we can get you out of the city, I'll consider that debt he owes me to be repaid in full."

"Lead the way then," said Jack. "You know this city much better than I do."

Bill nodded and gestured to the soldiers. They formed the scouting force to lead the way, but not before offering a weapon to Jack.

"I'm sure it's not what you're used to, Your Majesty," said the burly soldier. "But this rifle is going to have to do."

Jack took a second to look at it, recognizing it as a basic bolt-action rifle. He inserted a magazine into the rifle and pulled back the bolt to load a round into the chamber. Once it was inside, he gripped it with both hands.

"You have no idea how good it is to have a weapon again," said Jack. "I just hope we won't have to use it too much today."

"That depends on how quickly we move. With speed and stealth, we might be able to keep casualties low today" said Bill. "Let's move out!"

*****

Nearly six stories ahead of the scene playing out in the prison, Eric Rosdahl was impatiently waiting for his breakfast. The vein on the side of his head was bulging once again, and his fingers strummed the table with increasing alacrity.

"How hard is it to get food," he muttered under his breath. Apparently, it was too hard for the servant staff, and he would have to see to it that they were whipped again. It was a frequent occurrence during his regency, but he believed that staff grew too lazy and insolent if they weren't regularly beaten in some fashion or another.

After all, he had an important day ahead of him. In just two short hours, he would preside over the execution of Jack Easterbrook, and the final death of the heir to the Galician throne after all these years. His uncle's work would finally be complete. After that, he could rededicate himself to locating that cousin of his and finally put her in the ground where she belonged.

His rulership would be secured one way or another, and he expected to look forward to a long life of peace while feasting on the dividends of the Swabian conquests.

Eric still had the smile on his face at that thought when his breakfast was finally brought forward. He didn't scowl at the servant, figuring that he would do the damage to his back later on by his own hand. His plate was typical for a Galician, with three kinds of protein filling his plate—eggs, bacon, and sausage, as well as a heavy helping of fresh fruit. He had just grabbed the bacon, rolling it into a small ball, when the door to his chamber slammed open suddenly.

He didn't even have time to choke when the head of his guard came bolting into the room. Eric relaxed when he saw who it was.

"Really, Daniel, do you need a lesson on how to approach your regent with civility?" asked Eric calmly as he downed that piece of bacon. "If I have to replace that door, I'm going to take it out of your pay."

Daniel didn't waste any time on pleasantries. "Your Highness, I've just been alerted about a situation we have in the prison. The evening guards were found this morning by their replacements. They were all knocked out cold. Someone actually managed to get around them and knock them unconscious!"

Eric stood up at once. "What about the prisoner at the end of the prison? Is he still there?"

Daniel shook his head. "His cell was empty. There was nothing in there. He must have gotten out with the help of some friends. They had to have knocked out the guards and then released him. It's the only way to get out."

"That man is due to be executed in two hours' time," growled Eric. "I want the entire city involved in the search for him. Alert every garrison, every regiment, from the colonel down to the private. You will find that man immediately and bring him back or I will personally see to it that your entire family is executed in his place!"

The guard snapped forward in a salute and left the room quickly, no doubt spurred by Eric's threats.

After he was gone, Eric slammed his fist down on the table, making his plate rattle.

"That son of a bitch," he muttered under his breath. "I'm going to find you Easterbrook, and those friends of yours that tried to set you free. We'll see how you like trying to escape with the entire city on the lookout for you!"

*****

The streets of Kalmar were already starting to teem with people. At this early hour, workers could be seen heading to their place of business while young mothers went to the market with their even younger children. The tranquility of the morning was about to be disrupted as Jack, Bill, and their three soldiers moved out from the castle into the broader city.

For Jack, it was like a novel experience to see the city from this side. The first time he'd been brought into Kalmar, he'd been under guard and treated like a prisoner. He could only see the surroundings from the convoy as it navigated the narrow and windy roads of the ancient city.

"Has everything always been so narrow?" asked Jack as they darted from one street to another. "It seems like every building was built right on top of the next."

"At first, there wasn't much here," said Bill. "Just the castle, which was built on the highest point where there was a naturally-forming rocky outcropping. If you stripped all the buildings away, you'd just see that rock in the middle with the rest of the plane and waters surrounding it. The first kings built the castle on the rock, and a settlement started to develop around it. But since there was more water than land, many of the houses built on top of each other in layered rings that emanated out from the castle. It gave Kalmar its distinctive shape but to answer your question, yes, it's always been full of these tiny, circular streets."

As if to emphasize Bill's point, the group stopped short as the street they were on turned. The soldiers signaled to each other and promptly ducked behind an alleyway, gesturing for Bill and Jack to follow. They followed behind the soldiers while Bill moved to the lead man and asked what the trouble was.

"Guardsmen up ahead," said the soldier. "Three of them moving in this direction. Best to take this alley down to the next level and keep moving."

Bill nodded. "All right, let's keep going. I'd prefer not to shed any blood today if we don't have to."

"Where's our destination?" asked Jack. "How far away is this regiment of yours, Bill?"

"Not too far away. The bigger gamble is whether I'll be able to lure them back to our side again when we get there. I'm hoping they remember all I've done for them."

Jack raised an eyebrow. "That's a lot to bet on."

Bill grinned. "Some gold might pave the way just as easily too. Come on, we can reach their barracks by going down another two levels."

The five of them continued to hurry. The alleyway they used descended down a steep embankment until they reached another lower level. Jack saw this level seemed to be dominated by marketplaces and shops. Most of the merchants were just starting to open their doors for the day when they came whistling by at full speed. They earned the stares from quite a few people along the way, and more than one woman's blonde hair went spinning as she whipped her head around in amazement at their speedy pace.

After getting down one more level and avoiding more guardsmen (a sign that Rosdahl might be aware of Jack's escape), Bill located the building he was looking for. It was a large one that dominated one side of the street. It's entrance was marked by crossing swords over the door and a title that marked out the following:

7th Regiment: Hemswell's Faithful

The only sign of change was that someone had crossed out Hemswell's from the title and wrote in Regent's, a sure signal of truth to Bill's story.

"Right here," said Bill as he knocked on the door. "Let's all pray on my ability to sway them to our side."

"For the sake of all of us, I hope your luck continues to hold this morning," said Jack right before the door opened.

A stony-faced Galician soldier answered the door. He looked first at Jack, then the three soldiers, and finally his gaze landed on Bill. That gaze looked confused at first and then it looked anxious once he realized who it was.

"Lord Calland, what is this?" asked the soldier as his mouth hung open at the sight of Bill. "You're free? How did you get out?"