Fourth Vector Ch. 32

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CJMcCormick
CJMcCormick
2,494 Followers

Santino was the first to speak up. "What plans were those? Where would they go next?"

"Samara," answered Jack. "It's only natural given the close geography. It would also allow them to control the vital shipping lane of the Slot, giving them access to both sides. From there, they can choke off any additional contact between Galicia and the rest of the West. It will then allow them to dominate the smaller countries of the north, eventually bringing the entire hemisphere under their control."

"And then we're all in trouble," added Russell Taylor quietly. "We can't hope to stand alone without any allies."

"No, we can't," said Jack. "We need more men. We need trained forces to help us win in Arezzo, but also to stop the Swabian campaign here in Apulia."

Santino leaned back in his chair. "What are you suggesting, Jack?"

"We have the ability to kill two birds with one stone right now," said Jack as he held out each hand. "Get more men for the army and sign up an unlikely ally to help us fight together now rather than fight alone tomorrow."

Santino pursed his lips. "You're referring to the Samarans. You'd like to bring them to our side." It was more a statement than a question.

"Correct," answered Jack. "It makes strategic sense to appeal to them. Especially if they are next on the chopping block."

The Director began to shake his head. "That won't ever happen. The Samarans don't get involved in affairs outside their own borders. It's been like that for a very long time. Even if you could show them this order about an attack, they still would not be moved. It's not how the Samaran mind works."

"They might need some help in changing their minds," said Jack. "We both have the same enemies whether the Samarans know that today or not. Sooner or later, the Swabians will come for them. If it comes down to an option of fighting that war on their soil or not, it's something they'll have to decide for themselves. But we could surely use their army in Arezzo. A well-trained and significantly large force would go a long way to helping us not only hold the city, but eventually break out of it."

"I'd have to agree with Jack on that one," chimed in Chapman. "Our current numbers are enough to keep the Swabians at bay for now but not forever. We'll need more men to hold the city. It's not a matter of if, but when. When the Swabians get more reinforcements, we won't be able to hold them back."

"What about the fleet?" asked Santino. "The first attack was defeated because of the Galician fleet. Can they not keep them at bay indefinitely?"

All of them looked at Russell who started to shake his head from the start. "Our task force is powerful but the longer we stay in Arezzo, the more chances we have of the Swabians figuring out where we are and sending a larger force to intercept us. We can offer fire support while we're here, but if a large enough Swabian task force comes this way, we won't be able to stay. We're almost to the point now where we've stayed in Arezzotoo long. In good faith, I can't advise relying on the fleet for much longer."

Santino opened his mouth to argue but closed it right away. He looked back over at Jack. "So what would you have us do then? You want the Samarans, right? How would you get them? That little evidence you have in front of you won't be enough to sway their leaders to our side."

"We still have to try," said Jack. "Neutrality will go out the window when they feel this dispatch in their own hands and read it for themselves. It's hard evidence that they won't be able to discount."

"I'll give you this--their army would be much welcomed," said Santino. "They are as formidable as they sound despite their small size. Well-drilled and everything but they are a peculiar people, Jack. They are not always the most sensible."

"What makes you say that?" asked Jack before asking another follow-up. "I don't pretend to be an expert on the peoples of the West, and the Samarans are one of those people that I understand the least. Why are you so sure they'll remain neutral with this news?"

Santino let out a sigh. "It's just how they are. If I could define the entire country with one word, it would be indecisive. It's the reason why they have three rulers instead of just one."

"Tell me a little about them," said Jack. "What is there to know about the country?"

Santino blew a raspberry with his lips. "More than I could hope to tell you but I'll give you the short version. The Samarans are unique in the fact that they never started out with their own king. We got rid of our kings a long time ago, and they left Apulia for Naxos as you might be aware. The tribes of the islands of Samara never coalesced into a single ruler. Instead, they were content to fight each other until one day the three strongest tribes decided to form their own government to speak for the whole country. But they couldn't figure out a way to decide which of the tribal leaders should be the ruler, so they came up with a system of elected rulers between the three of them."

"So like a republican council?" asked Jack. "That's how they're ruled?"

"In a manner of speaking," replied Santino. "There are always three of these men, called Tribunes, and they are entirely equal to each other in that they can override another's decisions if they so please. Realistically speaking, the Tribune of that oldest and largest tribe is generally the head of government and the other two will usually respect that. In terms of longevity though, they only rule for a year before being replaced, meaning there's never one group of Tribunes for very long."

"So what happens after that first year? What happens to the Tribunes?" asked Jack.

"They retire to an elderly body of former Tribunes that makes up their state body, like an advisory council but on a larger scale," said Santino. "They can eventually run for Tribune again, but only after several years have gone by. New blood is then put into the tribuneship for the coming year and the cycle repeats itself. It's a form of government that they've had for over eighteen hundred years without any changes to it, which shows you just how stubborn the Samarans are."

"And in all of that time, they've never been in a war?" asked Jack incredulously. "They never faced off against the Swabians or another power?"

"Not against the Swabians," replied Santino. "They were always a little too far north for the Swabians to reach. Apulia always stood in the way, and until recently, she was powerful enough to stop the Swabians within the means of the Galician alliance. So with no Swabian threat, the Samarans never found a need to enter into the Galician alliance so they remained outside those affairs. All those years of isolation bred itself into neutrality, one that won't go away easily."

"Why do they have such a formidable army then?" interrupted Russell. "For one that is dedicated to isolation, I'd be surprised they even had an army in the first place if they don't rely on it."

"That goes back to ancient times, another holdover that made it to the present," said Santino. "The tribal warfare between the Samarans in the old days used to be fierce. It was dirty business and many of them lost their lives due to that frequent warfare. But it inspired a soldier that was well-trained, self-sufficient, and totally disciplined. For a long time, Samarans were the best trained soldiers in the entire world. Despite their neutrality, other powers would hire Samaran mercenaries to come in to not only train their armies but to fight alongside them. That always gave Samara an output for their most aggressive warriors--they could go abroad to win glory and Samara could always claim her beloved neutrality. It was a win-win situation."

Lindy blinked several times before he spoke up. "I didn't know that Samarans were such good fighters."

"You wouldn't know it because that practice fell out several hundred years ago," said Santino. "Even before the last Swabian War, they were barely used anymore. It's not hard to see why. Their tactics were old. They were good soldiers when they fought with swords and shields but the world has changed, and their old prestige has suffered for it."

"But they are still disciplined soldiers now, right?" asked Jack. "We wouldn't be getting a poor army if we were to bring them on our side?"

Santino shook his head. "Not in the slightest. Despite not being used as mercenaries in recent centuries, the Samarans still have one of the best trained small armies anywhere. They are total professionals. I have no doubt about that."

It made every bit of sense to Jack to try to get them on their side. A professional army combined with the Galician regiments could be enough to push the Swabians out of Apulia. If that worked out, they could choose any number of islands to go to next, freeing them as they went. It all started with Samara though.

"I think we should give it a shot," said Jack. "I think we should attempt to get the Samarans on our side. I believe I can make them see the broader strategic picture outside of their own country."

Santino gave him a disappointed look. "Jack, answer me one question. Is this about getting the Samarans on our side or is this about having a soft place to land if the Swabians push us out of Arezzo? I don't want to abandon my country so easily, and I want to know this isn't some ploy to eventually move the army out of Apulia. I won't allow it. Apulia, our army, and myself will live and die on our own soil."

"Santino, you have my word that I won't allow the army to be pulled out of the country," said Jack. "In fact, I won't be taking any major forces with me. Perhaps part of the task force to get us across the Slot, but we'll leave the military units here to guard the city."

Chapman was the first to speak out about that. "Jack, I don't mean to question your judgment, but is that wise? The Swabians are everywhere, and while I don't think you'd come to any harm in Samara, I'm not one to take chances."

"I'll be perfectly safe," said Jack. "After all, we're going as diplomats, not warriors. Diplomats have no need for armies. I'd rather they stayed here to keep Arezzo secure anyway."

Santino didn't look convinced. "I'm still not a fan of this arrangement. I think it's a waste of time. I'm relieved you're not looking to take any army forces but I've been down this road before. I don't think there will be a good outcome."

"What if we put it to a vote between us?" said Jack. "You all know my feelings about the subject so I'll abstain from it. I want the five of you to give me your opinion and we'll go with the majority. That's about as fair as we can make it, right?"

Santino's eyes narrowed. "You would really leave it to a simple vote?"

Jack nodded. "I would. Would you?"

The Director considered it for a moment before ultimately nodding. "Fine. You know my feelings on the matter. I vote no."

"Very well, we have one no," said Jack before looking at the next man, which happened to be Lindy. "What do say you, Lindy?'

Lindy shot a nervous look at Santino. "He makes a few good points, Jack. Especially about the Samarans and their neutrality. I'd rather not waste our time if we don't need to do it. I'll go with him. I vote no as well."

Jack nodded. "Russell?"

"I vote yes," answered the admiral. "We should at least try. If not, we'll never know what might have been, and we don't have the luxury of ignoring available options right now."

"I agree with Russ," said Chapman. "Otherwise, Arezzo doesn't have a chance of standing long-term."

"We're all tied up then," said Jack as his eyes descended on Bill. "That leaves it to you, my friend. Which way are you going to lean?"

Bill looked back and forth between Jack and Santino as if he hadn't made up his mind yet. Seconds ticked by as they waited for his answer. By the look on his face, Jack almost feared that Bill was going to vote against him.

"There's really only one course that makes sense to me," said Bill finally as the attention of the whole room settled on him. "There's no way we can move forward without exploring every option. We need to make a play to get the Samarans on our side. Their army would be very useful right now."

The room was quiet all except for a sigh of relief let out by Jack. With the vote going three to two, the decision was made.

Everyone seemed to be at peace with the plan--that is except for Santino. As the council winded down, he stuck around to speak with Jack at the end.

"I'm a man of my word, Jack," said the Director finally when it was just the two of them. "And I know when I've been outvoted. I'm not pleased about it but that's life. Before you go though, I'd like to discuss that trip in more detail. Perhaps tonight, you and Bill would like to join me at dinner?"

Jack nodded. "We can make that happen. I wouldn't want to go without getting more input from you anyway."

*****

Trevor's eyes popped open in the middle of the night. He hadn't been sleeping deeply but the sudden rush of consciousness was a little jarring to him. Like the trained warrior he was, he immediately looked around the tent, trying to figure out if a threat was lurking and caused him to wake up out of instinct.

He took a clear glance around. His tent was tiny but functional and he spotted nothing out of place nor anything that shouldn't be there. He listened outside for the signs of camp, hearing the sounds of the night including the rhythmic sound of crickets interspersed by the occasional cough from one of the men.

Nothing appeared to be wrong so why did he wake up so suddenly?

"Trevor?"

The voice was barely above a whisper but it reminded him who shared his bed. He rested his head against the pillow and looked into Nina's searching eyes. He didn't mean to wake her and once he figured out there wasn't a threat, he pulled her closer.

"Sorry, thought I heard something," he whispered in return.

Nina let out a small moan of approval and put her head back on his chest. She was back asleep in a matter of minutes, allowing him the chance to listen to her soft breathing as he tried to get back to sleep as well.

That sleep didn't come easily. When the sun rose in the morning, he was only too eager to get out of bed, knowing he wouldn't have to fight a losing battle any longer. He dressed quickly but as he laced his boots, he saw Nina stir again. She leaned on one elbow as she pushed up on their small cot. There wasn't much room for one person let alone two, but they made it work without much complaining.

"You're awake already?"

Trevor nodded. "Hard time sleeping last night."

Nina looked concerned as her feet hit the ground. "Bad dreams?"

"No dreams actually," replied Trevor. "At least none that I remember. I just couldn't get to a deep sleep. Every time that I got close, I just woke up again."

The concern didn't leave her face. It was a touching change of pace considering the deepening of their relationship lately. The Nina from a few weeks ago might have teased him about his lack of sleep. This Nina--the intimate Nina--was more concerned about the well-being of her lover.

"Is something weighing on your mind?" she asked before quickly adding, "I mean, beyond all of this."

"All of this" was putting it lightly. On all of their minds was the war but it became more of a way of life than anything else. They all knew that death could find them at any moment. Most of them had embraced the fact that they were little more than walking corpses, just waiting for the final fight before they were no more. The recent escalation by the Javans had them all feeling the heat.

Not many of them felt they would survive the war in its entirety.

"I can't decide if it's related to that or not," said Trevor honestly. "The war always weighs on me but something feels a bit different lately. I can't put my finger on it. I get the impression that something is stalking me."

"Stalking you?" she repeated. "In what way?"

Trevor shrugged. "I wish I could describe it in a better way than that. Maybe stalking isn't even the correct word to use. It just feels like something is on my back but what that something is, I can't explain it."

He laced up his boot and moved to sit on the cot next to her. Nina rested her face against his shoulder and continued to look into his eyes. It was a sight that he could get lost in. Despite her deadly reputation in this war, she was one of the most beautiful women he'd ever laid eyes on. Her long and lustrous brown hair and her dark brown eyes could drive any man mad with lust. The fact that she was here with him was unexplainable to Trevor but he was thankful for it nonetheless.

"Does it have anything to do with the note we saw the other day?" asked Nina. "The one addressed to you?"

The note was actually a threat that had been pinned to the pole in a devastated Tyrolean town. It was addressed to the people of Tyrol personally by one of the Javan leaders, Roland Smart, and it warned them that the war would continue to escalate unless they handed over Trevor immediately.

Trevor swallowed heavily and nodded. "To a degree. It's not that I think anyone here would do that but I hate thinking that any more death will come to these people because of me. Everyone that dies from this point forward could be pinned on me. It's a heavy price to pay."

Nina shook her head. "That's not on you. This is how the Javans are trying to get to you. They may know your name and may know that you lead this army, but they know they can't touch you themselves. So they are trying to get anyone to take you out that they can. But it's not going to work, Trevor. Do you know how I know that?"

He shook his head in response.

Nina smiled softly. "Because Tyrol respects you too much. There isn't a person in this whole country who doesn't know who you are by now. Look at how the recruits keep pouring into our campsite. We're getting close to two thousand men now and more arrive everyday. They arrive because of what you're doing here. They arrive because they know that you fight for all of Tyrol and for this Movement that we all hold dear. And do you want to know the distinction between us and them?"

"That our people fight because they have no other choice?" he asked.

Nina smiled and shook her head. "They fight because it is their choice. They are here of their own free will. The Javans can leave at any time but we can't because it's our home. That's how I know we're going to be successful this time. We have men leading us like you."

She leaned in closer and kissed him soundly.

"Now get this burden off your mind and let's focus on the day," she said brightly as she stood up and stretched. In doing so, the blanket that they used completely slipped away from her body. Nina didn't sleep in the nude but what she was wearing left little to the imagination. Trevor's gaze focused on her soft skin and the way her body curved. Just as he was beginning to put it all behind him and refocus his blood flow elsewhere, Nina caught him staring.

She let out a soft laugh as she approached him and put her arms around his shoulders. Since he was still sitting, it also put his face almost directly between her bosom.

"I see your eyes," she said with a twinkle of mischief in hers. "Perhaps tonight we can act out everything going on in your mind right now."

That made Trevor smile. "Was it that easy to read?"

She nodded while keeping the grin on her face. "With you? You're always easy to read. Come on, let's get ready for the day."

*****

The day turned out to be eventful. After taking part in the training of the new recruits that morning, Trevor got word that a small party of Javans were seen in a nearby town. What was surprising was that the body was so small--nearly two squads of men, no more than fifteen of them, had been spotted trying to make their way through the mountains.

CJMcCormick
CJMcCormick
2,494 Followers
123456...8