Fourth Vector Ch. 36

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jack raised an eyebrow, which caused Vera to start to giggle.

"I only know because Kat told me this morning," explained his sister. "She seems to really be enjoying the planning of this coronation."

"At least someone is," grumbled Jack. "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to do it because I think it's necessary but I had no idea how much went into it. Sometimes I feel less like the actual king and more like a trained monkey that's having to listen to everything Bill and Kat tell me."

Vera let out a small laugh. "It's only temporary, Jack. Soon enough, we'll have to leave Kalmar to keep the war going and this will be a distant memory. That is, until the war's over and we have to come home."

"That seems too far away to even contemplate right now," said Jack with a knowing look. "But it does have me thinking about getting away already. We still need to decide where we're going next."

"In due time, in due time," said Vera. "For now though, just enjoy what you can from this whole process. I'm sure you feel the same, but it's been enjoyable to see the link our family has with Galicia now that we're finally here. For so long, I was just Vera, a woman without a home or a family, alone in the wider world. Now at least I feel like I have a home and a family."

"You'll always have a family as long as I'm around," said Jack fondly. "It's been a long road to this point. There were many times when I thought we would never get here."

"And to see how much has changed," said Vera as she gestured to John. "Everything seems to be coming together now. I know we didn't have much time with our actual parents but I have to believe they would be very proud of you right now, Jack."

"I think they'd be proud ofus, Vera," he corrected. "I think about that from time to time, you know? No one in the recent generations of our family actually knew what it was like to rule. Their biggest concern was just staying alive. Now that we're actually here, I often wonder what they would think. If only to know that they've succeeded in keeping our family alive, I have to imagine they'd be awfully proud."

Vera nodded. "Now just from that, Jack, but to see everything you've accomplished. You've united an alliance that hasn't been together in five hundred years. Not since the Fourth Swabian War has this partnership last come to fruition, and you're doing it all to protect innocent people throughout the West that you've never met before. It's all because it's the right thing to do. I think they'd be even more proud of you for that."

"I just hope it was the right thing to do," said Jack quietly. "And that we aren't just fooling ourselves that we can actually beat the Swabians."

"You don't actually think you can't, do you?" asked Vera. "If there's anyone in the world that can do it, it's you. Now, if Kat was here, I'm sure she would go into the prophecy and how long it's been predicted that you would defeat the Swabians but I'm not going to go into that."

"Thanks," muttered Jack quickly, his lips forming into a half smile.

"But even still," continued Vera. "I believe in you. Not because you're some prophesied defender or just because you're the Galician King. I believe in you because you're a good person with a good heart. You'll find a way to do what needs to be done. I have every faith in you."

Jack didn't answer that right away. Feeling the utter confidence from Vera at that moment was a little overwhelming, and it added to the feelings from earlier that day. Ultimately though, Jack was able to push it aside and offer his sister a small smile.

"I think you're just saying that because you're my sister," he teased.

Vera giggled. "I guess you'll never know now!"

They laughed together for a moment until Vera turned serious once more. "For real though, Jack. I am proud of you. I know our parents would be too, and if given the chance, they would love to see this coronation after all you've achieved. You've finally brought our family home, and that's something to be extraordinarily proud about."

Her words humbled him, and Jack found himself instantly glad that he stopped to see his sister of all people. Vera always knew the right thing to say, and their connection went beyond words and good feelings. If there was one person who could always put things into perspective, it was usually Vera.

They continued to chat for another fifteen minutes before she professed a desire to get something to eat. Seeing as Jack didn't have much of an appetite, he declined to join her for food and left her chambers on the way back to his own while carrying John.

Before he could arrive, he ran into another familiar face.

"There you are, Jack," said Art with a broad smile before his eyes flickered to John. "How's the little one today?"

"About to be sleeping," joked Jack as he gestured to the infant's eyes, which were barely staying open. "I figured I would sit with him while he slept. I don't get to do that as often as I would like."

Art nodded. "Feel like some company? I told Lindy I'd stop by in a few hours but I have nothing else to do before then."

"I'll never say no to that request," replied Jack.

The two men moved to an enclosed balcony of the Castle that looked out on the city. The weather was still nippy for the time of year and Jack could hear the wind howling against the building.

"So, Jack, how are you finding fatherhood?" asked Art as soon as they were comfortable.

"In a word? Interesting," joked Jack as John's eyes finally closed. "My only other experience with babies was when my adopted sister was born and back then, I was too young to understand all the work that came with a newborn. It's been a learning experience for me, but I feel like I've come a long way."

Art started to chuckle. "I'll say. I remember a time a few weeks ago when that boy wouldn't even let you touch him without screaming. I'd say you've mastered the formula, no doubt."

"That wasn't without some trial and error," joked Jack. "But it is interesting being a father. I'm learning now that much of what I knew about the world, and babies in general, was flat out wrong."

Art nodded his head and he assumed a faraway look that immediately told Jack that something was on his mind. It wasn't hard to figure out what, especially as Art looked down at the now sleeping John. Jack was reminded of the story of Art's life, especially the early years when his wife was still around and they were expecting a child.

It was a child that was never meant to be, and one that unfortunately perished in the hours after the birth. The tragedy in the story was that the child took its mother too, leaving Art entirely alone. What should have been the happiest day of his life soon became the worst, and Jack doubted whether the man had ever truly recovered from the loss.

"Are you doing okay, Art?" asked Jack quietly a few moments later.

To his surprise, Art just nodded gently. "Just thinking about the life that could have been, Jack. My daughter would have been twenty-four years old this year. Not a moment goes by that I don't think about what my life could have looked like with her in it."

Art then hung his head in shame. It was as if he was directly responsible for what happened to his budding family, and he felt the weight of the loss personally. Jack reached out to touch the other man's shoulder.

"It wasn't your fault, Art. Those circumstances were not of your doing."

The older general sniffled and then wiped his cheek. "I understand that now, Jack, but it was a good ten years before I stopped punishing myself for that. I thought it was because of me, something that I did wrong, to lead the gods to torture me like that. It took me a long time to realize that it was just a cruel twist of fate. But there are days when I wonder what it would have been like to hold my daughter in my arms just like you are right now."

Jack felt for the man. There was nothing he could do to bring Art's family back but at that moment, he thought of a small gesture that might help the old general.

"Art, do you want to hold John for a bit?" asked Jack, offering the sleeping child. "Why don't you? He's sound asleep and you can see what it's truly like?"

Art's face looked hopeful. His eyes flickered back and forth to Jack and then to John. "Could I, Jack? I don't want to wake him but I'd sure like a chance if you're willing."

Jack didn't even have to answer. He raised himself from his chair without too much movement and walked slowly over to the old general. With a degree of care, he deposited the sleeping John into Art's arms.

Jack worried for a brief moment as Art squirmed and moved too much in an effort to adjust to holding the baby. Jack thought that he might actually wake John, but some quick instruction on his part had Art holding the infant correctly. Jack actually smiled once the two of them were settled and returned to his seat.

It looked like Art's whole day had been made. The old general actually grinned as he beamed down at the sleeping baby, and it was only after a few minutes that he turned to look at Jack. "So this is what it's like then? To have your own child in your arms?"

"Unreal, isn't it?" replied Jack.

"It most certainly is," answered Art. "You know, I only got to hold my child for less than ten minutes before they whisked her away. That was all the time that I got."

"You can hold him for as long as you like," promised Jack. "But if he poops, then you're going to be on clean-up duty," he added after teasing the general.

Art chuckled briefly and then continued to sit with John. What felt like an hour passed by, and it was midafternoon by the time that John finally stirred. He awoke with his usual fury, instantly searching around for a breast to latch onto.

"If you don't want to listen to him scream, we should probably find Kat," said Jack with a chuckle. "No doubt the little man is hungry."

Art only relinquished the child with reluctance. As Jack took the infant from the general's arms, Art looked at him with open eyes. "Jack, will you come back after you see Kat?"

Jack nodded. "Of course, Art."

It took him only five minutes to find Kat, finding her unoccupied in their temporary quarters. She gratefully took the infant to give him his midafternoon snack, and Jack left her to it while he returned to Art.

The general was still sitting in the same spot looking out at the city, but he didn't let Jack sit down for long after he reappeared.

"You know, Jack, I told you when we met that my family is buried right outside the city, in a small plot not far from here," began Art before taking a deep breath. "Would you like to come with me to visit that plot?"

Jack couldn't nod his head quickly enough. "I'd be honored if you'd take me there, Art."

It didn't take very long for them to get there. Art wasn't kidding about the closeness to the city, being just outside the old wall and overlooking a small hill next to the bay. It was an old cemetery judging by the condition of some of the headstones but it seemed maintained and peaceful, which was all that most could ask for in the same situation.

Jack followed behind the general as they came to a small plot where Jack could clearly see the name Chapman written across the very top. Below the last name were the names of two individuals--Leah and Briana.

"My wife named her as soon as she came out," said Art with a heavy sniffle. "She'd always liked the name, going back a long time. I had no opinion on the matter. I just wanted her to be happy so I readily agreed. Leah was ecstatic about the pregnancy--we both were. She was even cool and collected during her birth, which is a lot to say for that kind of activity."

"Cool and collected is the best you can hope for," agreed Jack.

Art nodded and sniffled again. "We didn't know there was a problem until she was out. The doctors were all talking and you could just feel an added tension in the air. I couldn't even look at Leah at that point. I could tell something was wrong with her too. They whisked both of them away at the same time. It was the last time I ever held Briana."

With those words, Art crumbled to his knees, a broken wreck of sobs. His hand reached out to grab the headstone and the old general held onto it for dear life.

Jack soon sank to his knees behind the man, putting a comforting arm on his shoulder while he sobbed. He wasn't sure how long they were like this but Art only found his voice again sometime later.

"I could have lived with Briana's death," he said quietly. "I know that's a terrible thing to say but I just didn't know her. I only had those precious few minutes. It was Leah's passing that destroyed me. She was my other half, my everything. I'd never felt more alone once she was gone. I've never recovered since."

Jack let him get it all out without talking, only offering a sympathetic pat on the back to show that he was still listening. He could tell this was something Art needed to do on his own. He needed to talk through his feelings on the matter and get it all truly out.

"I've sacrificed everything I had in penance for that day, Jack. I threw myself into my career because it was the only thing that I had left. All I had was this single tombstone to remind me of what I lost. That and my memories."

"They'll never be truly gone from you, Art," said Jack quietly while touching his chest. "You'll always carry them in here. Nothing can take them from you in here."

Art let out a long sigh and wiped his eyes. "You're right, Jack. But I'd like to ask a favor from you if I could."

"Name it, Art. If it's in my power, I'll do it for you."

Art took a deep breath. "I know my day is coming soon. Don't ask me how I know that but I do. I know death isn't too far off for me."

Jack didn't know what to say to that statement. Despite being of an older age, Art wasn'tthat old. He was in relatively good shape too so how he had this idea that death wasn't too far away was beyond Jack.

"You probably think I'm crazy," said Art with a smirk. "But sometimes you just know. And I can feel it in my bones and in my heart just as sure as I know the sun will rise tomorrow. It is coming, and my only request is that when it does happen, that you put my body here with my family."

With those words, Art gestured to the open part of the gravestone next to his wife's. It was kept open on purpose, no doubt for the day when Art could join her after all this time.

"This is where I belong, Jack. This is where I can finally hold my wife and my daughter once again," said Art with a determined stare. "When that time comes, will you promise to bury me with my family? Will you make sure that I'm never parted from them again?"

It was one promise that Jack could make. With an easy nod, he touched Art's back once again.

"You have my word, Art. I'll make sure you get to rest with your family when that day comes."

To his surprise, the older general hugged him without warning. At that moment, Jack realized how much his promise meant to Art.

The promise of a familial reunification was one that Jack understood innately, and he would do everything in his power to give Art the same thing.

*****

The day of the coronation arrived with a frenzy not seen in some time. For once, Jack was able to put down all thoughts of the war and just give into the country's celebration, which seemed to take all the attention. All work on rebuilding the city was halted and by midmorning, guests were starting to arrive at the Castle for the celebration.

The only person who didn't feel like celebrating was Jack. He was a bundle of nerves this morning, especially as Kat helped him put on his ceremonial robes in their shared room. Kat, on the other hand, was positively infectious with her excitement.

"These robes fit you just perfectly," she said as she did a last-minute adjustment. She then looked over his entire outfit and clapped her hands together. "You truly look like a king now, Jack! It's absolutely incredible!"

"I feel like I'm about to audition for the circus," said Jack as he held his hands aloft.

Kat scowled at him, but it didn't change his feelings on the matter. There hadn't been any time to adjust the official clothing of the monarch and he still thought the dress was too conspicuous.

"You may feel that way but the people are going to love seeing you like this," she said finally. "And it'll be a good thing for all the lords to see you like this too. Many of them have forgotten their proper place under the kings, and it'll be good for them to be reminded of it when they get the first sight of you."

"I'm imagining they'll be looking at me and thinking 'look at this sucker,'" said Jack sullenly. Kat elbowed him in the stomach. "It's important that you show strength in front of the lords. If you don't, they'll run rampant over you like they did many regents before you. Even a few kings."

"Strength to the lords, got it," said Jack as he adjusted the crown on his head.

At least the crown was simplistic. It was a simple piece of iron that had been unchanged for over a thousand years. There was one glistening jewel that stuck out above all the rest, a dark blue gemstone that matched the color of the background of the Galician flag. In all, Jack found that he liked the crown more than the rest of the outfit combined but he still wasn't used to wearing it on his head.

Kat stopped in front of him and embraced him fondly. "You're going to do just fine today. You'll be great, Jack. I'll be here the entire time too in case you need me."

"Even if I decide to back out?" he teased.

Kat swatted him again. "Have some faith in yourself."

With those words, she pressed up on her toes to give him a long, smoldering kiss. It was deep enough to let Jack forget all that was going on around them, and it even contained a hint of a promise of something more passionate later on.

Her eyes twinkled with mischief as the kiss broke. "I love you, Jack."

Before he could reply, there was a new occupant to the room, and Bill Calland quickly took a look at Jack in his robes.

"Well, Jack, you certainly look regal," said Bill as he stopped near Kat. "You'd never guess he was just an admiral before this!"

Kat smiled fondly. "He looks like a real king now. He's the king that the Galician people deserve."

"And this has been a long day in the making," added Bill. "Some two hundred years in the making, I'd say. Until only months ago, many thought they'd never see this day in their lifetimes. I'm not ashamed to say that I was one of them."

To Jack's surprise, Kat actually reached out to touch Bill's arm. "We've all made mistakes before. Thankfully, most of them can be forgiven with time."

She didn't go into more detail but Jack was grateful for her words. Whatever animosity was once between them seemed to be fully buried.

"It looks like something is missing from the final presentation though," noted Bill as he gestured to Jack's waist. "Where's your sword?"

"Just in the other room," said Jack with a careless gesture. "Do you think I should have it on today?"

Bill nodded emphatically. "You have to have it on, Jack. The sword is going to play a large role in the ceremony. You'll be asked to put the sword back in its proper place above the throne, a spot it hasn't been in two hundred years. That's going to be the defining act to let everyone know you're truly back."

"And being as you're the only one that can actuallylift the sword, it becomes all the more symbolic," added Kat as an afterthought.

"But I can wield it for them just fine now, showing them that I'm truly the heir," said Jack. "Why does it need to be put above the throne?"

Bill and Kat shared an amused look before the older lord looked back at Jack. "Just trust me on this one, Jack. I think you'll be surprised at the reaction when you do it."

1...67891011