Friends and Partners Forever

Story Info
Divorce, friendship, love, partnership.
5k words
4.4
6.5k
6
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My wife Camille had dinner ready when I got home so I sat down, poured us some wine and told her about my afternoon meeting with my friend Ann. I concluded by saying, "Ann told me she has heard that you think she and I are having an affair. If you think it then all our friends think it. Let me be clear, I am not having an affair with Ann Donovan who's been nothing more than a good friend. Great job of poisoning friendships." We finished dinner in silence. Our conversation resumed afterwards as we stood on opposite sides of the table.

"Camille, all of my friends have been women as you know. It's a number greatly reduced because you are so jealous of them."

"It's not normal, Stephen. You're supposed to hang out with other men, bullshit all the time, play golf and buy things."

"Well, that's a flattering picture. I didn't know you thought so little of me."

"I feel threatened by your friends. A strong, confident women with brains is someone that wives dread. Which one of your friends will be the second Mrs. Bart after I'm divorced and gone?"

We were on the opposite sides of the table, each holding onto a chair back. The table between us was a good stand-in for the gulf there was between us at that moment. How long had she been thinking this? What else did she tell her women friends that she wasn't telling me? I felt sad, feeling the shape of that gulf, that yawning crevasse that separates men and women as well as husband and wife. I turned and went to the bedroom to change my clothes.

Afterwards I said to her, "we need to clear the air." We sat opposite each other in the family room. I could just feel this gulf between us. How do we bridge it? Could we bridge it? "Why Camille? Why do you trust so little?"

"It's my insecurities, I guess. You've had great friends, strong, intelligent friends with accomplishments. They make my friends look pale beside them. I wanted you to push them away, to spend more time with me, bond with me more."

"I've tried to do that. I reluctantly stopped seeing Barbara or Christina. That only left Ann and, to some extent, Paula. And you still thought I was having an affair with Ann."

"You just spend so much time with her!" Camille exclaimed.

"I'm home every night other than the one evening with her a month. That's not a lot of time."

"But you're on the phone with her as well."

"That's what friends do, spend time together." I could tell she was upset and angry. "I don't know what else to say." With that, I grabbed keys and wallet and left. My friendship with Ann was damaged beyond repair, all over a rumor. My time with her came to an end.

The gulf between Camille and me wasn't going away. In light of my friendship with Ann being poisoned beyond my ability to heal it, I added to that gulf by resuming my friendship with Barbara and Christina. I had lost one friend but resumed two more, Camille's insecurities be damned. She glared at me when I told her. She glared even more when I told her why I had resumed their friendships and told her it was her problem, deal with it. The gulf between us was now the Grand Canyon in width. I was gone more to spend time with friends and catch up on our lives as my friends were my life now. My married life disappeared. My former social circle excluded me. They had chosen Camille for their group, not me.

I filed for divorce and moved out. We would split everything fifty fifty. She was outraged because we would sell the house. She had the option to keep it as her half of the proceeds but she couldn't afford it on her own. The house was part of her social being, her image. Now it was no more. I was ready for a new beginning. I rented a small house and moved everything to it. We had each gone through the house and tagged things we wanted. Items with two tags were put on a list that we negotiated. Un-tagged items would be donated. It was almost painless though there were fights about paintings and photographs, for goodness sake. Who cares about who gets what? She fought just to piss me off. Eventually I smiled and said take them all, I'll start over. That REALLY pissed her off. But we were done, the house sold, the proceeds of our life together divided..

I gained a new friend as well. Sarah was from work, though in a different division that was also headquartered in the same building. I met her by chance, colliding with her in a hallway and our papers ended up intermixed. I found where she worked and took to her pages that had been included in what I had. She thanked me and invited me to sit and talk for a minute. The minute became an hour and we agreed on a further conversation when we met outside of work.

With Paula, Barbara, Christina and now Sarah my life was full. In my dinners with each of them I now invited another so they could meet. In time they all met each other through dinner or outings. It was just a good time. I was glad to be freed of what had become a loveless marriage. I can't think of a reason my ex-wife and I will ever talk again.

My friends moved forward. Christina had a new beau and I saw and heard less from her. Paula and Barbara were old friends. We've been together for years now. Sarah was new. She was as smart as they come and I heard she had been ticketed for great things. A minority woman checked two diversity promotions at once. I could understand the desire to bump her up the hierarchy. We had great times though we both lacked the time to see each other often. I was promoted within my group. I received congratulations from all.

She was congratulating me on my promotion the next time we met.

"Yours is coming soon," I told her with a smile.

"But today we celebrate yours," she replied. "I'm buying dinner tonight, you can buy at my celebration."

"Isn't it nice to have your promotion foreordained?"

"Oh stop. I'll earn mine the old fashioned way, work, work, work."

"Your division management is 91% male, 87% white male. You don't think your ticket has been punched already? I do. So sit back and enjoy the ride to the executive suite."

She was promoted all right, just not within her division. She was my new boss. That upset things. She was almost beside herself telling me she hated this and hoped it wouldn't affect our friendship.

"Nah, you'll figure out pretty soon I've been loafing for the last year," I said with a smile. "How else do I have time for my women friends?"

"You're awful. I may have to put you on paid leave for insubordination. Friends in here, professional associates out there, agreed?

"Sure thing, boss lady"

"So tell me how it's been going here."

"You're here because Charles was in over his head. He had difficulty delegating and micromanaged everyone and everything. He was absolutely sure he was right and knew the way forward. Productivity is low and morale is worse. You've got three main reports besides me and they could be good in the right environment. Take my admin assistant, Georgia, she's smart and a whiz at keeping priorities straight. She keeps my calendar, prepares me well for meetings and in general has made life so much more bearable. I'll find another one."

"I can't do that! That's so unfair!"

"No it's not. It's about getting you going in the right direction quickly. I've prepped her for bigger and better things by quizzing her on the group priorities and how do we get there. Obviously there was only so much we could do but she networked well with others and passed the word on what's really important, not what Charles wanted. We pitch it to the group as a partnership of getting you up to speed as quickly as possible. I'll send you our file on meetings and the wish list collected from everyone on what we could do if only we had competent management."

And so it went. Georgia soon had Sarah up to date on everything. Sarah called an all-hands meeting to introduce herself and talk about what everyone could expect. "It's a partnership, one where my job is to get you what you need to be effective and then get out of your way." I thought of that line and was glad to see it so well received by our staff. Morale began to rise. I seemingly lived in her office as she picked my brain on what's going on, should be going on, corporate intrigue in our division and how things in general worked. Georgia sat in and moved everything we said to an electronic file we shared. My search for an admin led me to Tiffany, who will be good in time. Georgia is force-feeding her information to get her up to speed. Months passed as things settled down and more got done. Our personal dynamic settled down as well. It had been a shock to suddenly work for my friend but I realized I was working with her, not for her.

"You've made this a seamless transition and imparted so much knowledge. During my first meetings with Hank he asked me how it was going and I told him you should be in my position. He said I was being too modest and then he said that made sense of something he had wondered about. He said Charles told him the problems were due to inefficient and incompetent staff. Now he saw the problem was Charles all along. I told him that all they needed was someone to help them accomplish our goals, not micromanage them."

"Sounds like a modest manager deflecting praise to others."

"What's your next suggestion to make my life easier?"

"Meet me for dinner."

"Offer accepted. Meet me at Renaldo's at seven. I'm paying. My expense account can stand it. It's business casual."

I was at our table when she came in. Her first surprise was her that idea of business casual and mine were decidedly different. I was in nice slacks and an open collar long sleeve shirt. She was in a short skirt with heels. I'd not seen this side of her. Our meetings outside of work had been jeans and a casual top. Her office attire ran to slacks and a shirt. She smiled as she watched my eyes roam her body, I got up and hugged her and she surprised me again by kissing me on the lips. It was a lot more than a peck on the lips, a whole lot more.

"I've missed these meetings. Work has been all-consuming. You've been fantastic to work with but I miss our friendship away from the office."

"Well at least we don't have to moan and groan about our bosses anymore, or at least I don't. How's Hank?"

"It's been good so far. He's been supportive when I've mentioned the need to increase the equipment budget and IT support. I told him I had all the staff I needed, I just needed to support them better."

"Well said, o wise one."

"Stop it. It's your idea in the first place."

"Enough business. How's your love life? Christina is just gaga right now over her new guy. I shouldn't assume in this day and age, should I? For all I know it could be a woman. Barbara is good but between lovers, Paula is just edging toward something, not committing to it yet and also not talking about it other than in generalities."

"Who's got time? You've got these great friends to be with. I feel I've no time."

"My friends are your friends. Call them, invite them to dinner, tell me what they say behind my back."

Sarah laughed. I realized I had missed her laugh. The office had been pretty intense.

"How's your love life?" she asked.

"About the same as yours. I've got this hard charging, slave driver of a boss that just wrings me dry."

I got the laugh again. I had missed this so much.

"Don't hate me. You have to promise."

"Now you're scaring me. OK, I promise. Why would I ever hate you?"

"I can think of one reason. I've recommended you for a promotion to my old division."

I was dumbstruck. "We've worked so well together. Why would you exile me?"

"Because, silly, then we can date without being afoul of company directives."

Oh. I was stunned, shocked even. My friend wanted more, that much was clear. I was quiet as I tried to wrap my head around it.

"Say something," she said. "Tell me I'm not crazy. If I've gone too far I apologize. I don't want anything to wreck our friendship."

"You're not crazy. I'm just stunned. I already love you as a friend. You're smart, sexy, accomplished and flat out desirable."

"So are you: handsome, smart as hell, unflappable and with a great butt."

"You noticed, did you? Well I can certainly say the same for you. When you came in tonight with that skirt and heels I saw a side of you I've not seen. You've got great legs and an ass to die for."

We had finished dinner and were drinking coffee afterwards. Sarah put down her cup and said, "take me home, your home."

I ordered a ride and told her it would be ten minutes. She smiled at me, "I'm looking forward to this. I've wanted to do this for a while but was scared to say so."

Our ride came and we went home. There we faced each other and really kissed for the first time. It was heavenly. Her lips are soft and full, we kissed lightly, just enjoying the moment. I led her into the bedroom and slowly undressed her, revealing each portion of her body. First was the skirt, revealing her long legs and sexy red thong. Next her top - I unbuttoned each button slowlyj, enjoying the view as each new amount of skin was revealed. Finally I gazed at her lacy, sexy bra. I reached around her and removed it. Her skin was a light golden brown hue. She was beautiful, striking. I gazed at her breasts for the first time, then stepped back to look at her fully. She was so attractive. She was still wearing her heels and they added to the curve of her legs. I kissed her again, lost in the wonder of it all. I stepped around her to pull back the covers, then invited her to recline. After she did so I removed the heels, leaving her in her thong only. She took my breath away. I stripped off my clothes and lay beside her, using my hand to graze her lightly.

"That's nice, I've looked forward to this happening."

I bent over her and kissed her again, then kissed her neck and grazed her ear with my tongue, then kissing down to her breasts. I took my time, kissing all around her breasts, first one and then the other. She groaned as I licked her nipples for the first time. They were erect and long. I lightly bit her nipple, eliciting another groan and a 'yes' from her, then licked her nipples and breasts before sucking on each one. This was heaven. I reveled in it. Kissing my way down her body, I came to her mound. I stroked it with my fingertips as I touched all around. She was bare and sleek. I removed her thong, then I moved between her legs and kissed my way from foot to thigh on each leg then slowly kissed up her inner thighs to her beautiful pussy.

"Oh God, don't stop," came from her.

I used the flat of my tongue to slowly lick her pussy from the bottom to her clit, using the tip of my tongue to stimulate it, eliciting more cries. I felt so lucky to be here as I kissed and licked, sucked and used my tongue to penetrate her. I could feel her arousal growing, her orgasm close. I returned to her clit and a few more licks sent her over the edge.

"Oh my God, I..."

She came gloriously, her muscles contracting as it rippled through her. It was beautiful to watch, to see a woman give herself to the moment. I slid up beside her on my side. I put an arm around her and pulled her to me.

"I'm yours if you can do that every night before I go to sleep," Sarah replied, then she sighed.

"I would love to please you, anytime, anywhere."

"For now, anywhere is your place or mine. We can christen mine next."

I kissed her yet again. I don't think I'll ever get enough of that. She turned to face me.

"We keep this out of the office, agreed? When you're promoted we can be open about it."

We made gentle love, exploring the feelings as she was intent on pleasing me. I came deep inside her, just unbelieving of the moment. We slept together for the first time, finding out her body just fit next to mine. I had set an early alarm as tomorrow was a work day. I knew she needed to go home to change. She left after a long hug and delicious kiss.

"See you soon."

At work we were professionals working together. We settled into spending time together on weekends and whenever we could during the week. Time passed. The division was doing well, now focused and productive. We had transfer requests as people outside our group heard of the good working environment. We were weeding out those who were less competent and training new managers. I was called to interview for a new position. It was outside our division. I went through two day-long, grueling interviews with various work scenarios to discuss and accomplish. And then I waited to hear. A month went by before I found I had the job and would start the following week.

"I'd promote Dale. He's smart and energetic. He still needs some seasoning but he can learn, especially with such a fabulous teacher."

Your suggestion is accepted. Let me think on it. I've got two more days with you. What more do I need to learn? You are the master and I am but a mere slave."

"Now that sounds interesting. That gives me something to think about."

Sarah erupted in laughter, making Georgia stick her head in to find out if everything was ok.

"You've got this," I said and I turned and left. Two days later I was gone.

The following weeks were hectic. My new admin was Abigail. I got Abi, as she liked to be called, up to speed on how to use our software so she and I were looking at the same data. She sat in my meetings and recorded significant things on her laptop, then moved it onto an update of our goals and to do lists. Flat panel screens appeared in my office and also the meeting and conference rooms. I gave the same speech that Sarah had used to tell them I was there to facilitate them and then get out of the way. I just need to hear your updates and also the points where more time or manpower was needed. So far it seems ok as everybody is moving in the right direction. Abi is good and getting better as we found our best rhythm. I elevated her to Senior Administrative Associate and got her a raise. She beamed as we all congratulated her. She is more than an assistant. She became an integral part of what I did as more and more items went through her. She became my gatekeeper.

Other than weekend time and late night calls before bed, Sarah and I hardly had time to say hello. She did came to visit and appropriated my associate idea after I explained it to her.

"That's a great idea, offloading some of the workflow to her and you see what's important. Everybody still gets their face time to keep them happy. Bravo."

I called in Abi and had her go through what she did and didn't do in dealing with people.

"You're really a manager in all but title. I wouldn't be surprised if that comes along. Now you need to train someone to replace you. How can he replace you if there's no one trained?"

Abi beamed at being the focus of two division managers.

My new boss came to see me and see for herself what we were doing.

I made a presentation to her. Afterward, she said, "I really like the workflow you two have created. It just makes sense. Now to translate this to my other division. Between you and Sarah, no one wants to leave your departments and everyone else wants in," she said with a smile.

"Thanks, Ellen, they're good people, they just need their capability to be unleashed. Your support has made this infinitely easier."

"I'm using that line when I talk with Carol." Carol had replaced a non-performer as Ellen spurred change. "When it's so clearly explained what needs to be done you made my job easier. I'm just feeding you resources. You're using them daily."

It was finally Friday night after a long week. Sarah and I lay in bed, softly talking.

"There are rumors that one whole level of management will be eliminated after these ideas are implemented in all the divisions here. Your Associate idea was fabulous. Georgia has taken to it well. It cuts my work load and I can see what she's doing and how she's doing. Not that I have to wonder about her. I told her to train her replacement and she's brought in Taylor to shadow her. But enough about work."

12