Friends Reunited: The First Date

Story Info
Old schoolfriends Stephen & Sadie reconnect after 20 years.
6.2k words
4.34
9.3k
4
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Own2006
Own2006
60 Followers

Stephen lifted his coffee to go and turned to leave, bumping into a couple of women entering the café. They exchanged mutual apologies then he realised he knew one of them at the same time she recognised him.

"Hi Sadie!" Stephen said with a warm smile.

"Awk Steve!" Sadie replied, matching his smile. "Long time no see! How are you?" she asked, patting his upper left arm.

Stephen nodded. "Yes, good. All good. What about you?" he asked, feeling strangely giddy.

They moved out of the doorway to let other customers pass by as they continued chatting.

"Yeah, I'm good." she said.

"You're looking well." he said with a smile, conspicuously looking at her empty ring finger.

Sadie followed his eyes and raised her eyebrows, unable to keep a nervous giggle from escaping her mouth. "Yeah, so are you." she said with a fondness. "I'm loving the beard!" she smiled. Stephen rubbed his beard quickly with his hand and raised his eyebrows. They gazed at each other and maintained eye contact. There was so much unspoken. Sadie decided to shoot her shot. "Would you like my number?" she asked, trembling inside at feeling so vulnerable.

Stephen was momentarily taken aback at her forwardness. He sighed a laugh and looked down, rubbing his cheek with his hand before looking back up at her. "That'd be good. Maybe I could take you out for a bite to eat?" he said, trying to sound relaxed and appear more confident as he lifted his head up straighter and took his phone from his pocket.

"That'd be good." Sadie said with a warm smile. They exchanged numbers and hugged comfortably before Stephen left.

On Saturday night, Stephen arrived at Sadie's house to pick her up for dinner. He wore a neat white shirt with a banded collar, grey jeans and Toms. He smoothed his neatly trimmed beard as he stood nervously on the doorstep but as soon as she opened the door, he felt calm and relaxed. They smiled at each other.

"Good evening Stephen!" Sadie said in a warm, calm voice, stepping out of the house.

"Good evening, Sadie." Stephen matched her tone. They hugged tightly. "You look amazing." he smiled.

"Thanks!" she replied, looking down at her black and white print silk tunic, black embossed skinny jeans and black boots. "So do you." she said.

"Your carriage awaits." Stephen smirked as he held his arm out towards the car. Sadie giggled.

Sadie looked at him while they walked out the gate to the car. Stephen opened the passenger door and held it for her. She raised her eyebrows and gave an impressed nod. Stephen gave a confident nod and smile as she got into the passenger seat.

Sadie had let Stephen pick the restaurant since he was a chef, and she was delighted that he had chosen a local favourite that overlooked the sea and had a laid back atmosphere and great food. They made general conversation while they settled quickly and comfortably into each other's company.

When their food arrived Stephen noticed Sadie run her phone over the top of her arm and then hesitate before taking a black pouch out of her handbag. "Are you ok with blood?" she asked. "Cos if you're not then just look away for a moment." she said with a nervous laugh. Stephen frowned slightly, he wasn't sure what was happening. "I need to check my blood sugar and take insulin before I can eat." Sadie clarified.

Stephen shook his head and gestured he wasn't bothered about it. "Have you always...no...you weren't always diabetic, were you?" he asked, trying to think back to their school days. He watched her prick her finger with a pen that made a sharp click sound and then she placed a drop of blood onto the little stick poking out of a device in the pouch.

Sadie shook her head. "No, only since I was 25." she said, gently sucking the drop of blood from her fingertip

"Sorry I just need to work out the carbohydrate content of my meal..." she said distracted as she counted on her fingers and concentrated on working out the figures.

Stephen shook his head. "No, don't apologise. Take your time." he said, sitting casually with his hands resting on the table.

Then Sadie took another device out of her pocket. "This is my insulin pump, I just need to tell it how much insulin to give me and then I'm all yours." she said as she pushed the buttons quickly. The device beeped and she put it back in her pocket. Then she opened a small bottle and took a red capsule and swallowed it. "Thanks for waiting." she gestured, smiling and nodding at him. He waved his hand dismissively indicating it wasn't a problem and they started eating. "I'm glad you chose this place!" she said with a genuine smile.

"Yeah? Do you like it here?" he asked, smiling at her. She nodded and hummed in agreement. "It's an all-rounder, isn't it? Great food, great atmosphere, lovely venue, great views. They usually have a guy singing and playing the guitar but maybe it's too early yet." he said. She looked set her watched then nodded while she chewed her food.

"Did you ever work here?" she asked.

Stephen shook his head as he sipped his drink. "Where are you cheffing now?" she asked.

"Nowhere... I've got my own business." he said.

"Very good! A restaurant or catering?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"No, I'm not working as a chef anymore. It's a sports therapy and massage business I started 2 years ago." he said, looking intently at her to measure her response.

Sadie raised her eyebrows and smiled widely. "That's brilliant! Good for you. How is it going?" she asked in an encouraging tone, returning his gaze.

"Yeah, great actually. I was a bit unsure at the start. I started running about 10 years ago and met people through that who were in to Sports and Fitness Nutrition - personal trainers and that sort of thing." he said. Sadie hummed in agreement. "I went back to study Sports Therapy & Massage and with my background as a chef it kind of all tied in. Then a friend of a friend was opening a gym and he offered to rent me a studio there to help out his clients and it all just..." he paused to take a deep breath and held his hands out in a shrug gesture.

"Went from strength to strength?" she teased with a cheesy smile as they kept comfortable eye contact.

Stephen laughed. "Nice! But yeah, it did." he said.

"That's really exciting, Steve. I'm chuffed for you." Sadie smiled.

"Thank you!" Stephen beamed. "What about you? Still running Europe?" he joked.

Sadie laughed. "From the spare bedroom in my little terraced house?" she gestured out the window with her thumb and shook her head.

"Working from Home, no?" he teased.

"No I didn't quite make it. I worked abroad for a year for the third year of my degree, then went back to uni to finish my degree, graduated...I was working a couple of jobs and saving to do my Masters in London but then I ended up in hospital and everything changed. Diabetes and other consequences arrived as a result and I couldn't get anyone abroad to employ me without health insurance but I couldn't afford the health insurance without a job so..." she shrugged. "Close but no cigar!" she pursed her lips.

"Awk no, I'm sorry to hear that." Stephen said, looking at her with kindness in his eyes. "You were always so excited about working abroad and using your languages."

Sadie shrugged. "Naw, there's nothing anyone could do about it. I did some remote freelance work in French and German for a couple of years after but it just wasn't worth it and I found it isolating." she said. "I took a part-time Clerical job in the hospital while I was doing that and it has become my full-time job. I've got promoted and now manage a team of staff. I enjoy it, it's a very rewarding job and I'm happy there." she said. "It's a kind of 'paying it forward' thing, you could say."

"I was going to ask how you feel about it but if you're happy and you enjoy it then what more can you ask for?!" Stephen smiled.

"Mm hm, exactly. Life is too short." she said as she lifted her drink. "Are you still in touch with many from school?" she asked.

Stephen nodded. "Yeah, Andy...he used to work here actually." he said, pointing towards the floor. Sadie nodded in agreement. "He's in South East Asia now, married with a kid, and twins on the way!" They both laughed remembering him at school. "And Dave?" he said, questioning if she remembered him.

"Mm hm, didn't he marry Kyla?" she asked.

Stephen winced. "Yeah...ehh... they're getting divorced and it's..." he shook his hand from side to side. "Right now he wants to reclaim his misspent youth but he's got 2 kids, a mortgage, and a mountain of debt with her."

"Oh dear, that sounds messy!" Sadie said. Stephen nodded and his eyes widened.

"And then there's Johnny?" He said. She nodded. "Yeah, he got me into the running so I see him Tuesdays when we're training and most weekends if there's a race. He's the same as me, still single, no kids." he said.

Sadie looked at him and tilted her head. "I thought you had a little boy? When we were in our late teens/early 20's?" she asked with a frown. She saw Stephen's face fall. "Oh have I put my foot in it?" she asked cautiously, her face flushed. "Sorry, Stephen."

"I forgot you've got a memory like an elephant!" he sighed an awkward laugh. Stephen shook his head and swallowed hard. Sadie frowned and pursed her lips. "No, no, ehhh...I found out in the end...Nathaniel, he wasn't mine." he said slowly and quietly. Her face creased in a sympathetic softness. "Then she..." he hesitated. "Jodie, took him away to Spain in 2007 and I haven't had sight nor sound since." he said with a feeble nod.

Sadie shook her head quickly and closed her eyes briefly. "Aw I'm really sorry, Steve." She felt so sad for him. He shook his head dismissively but she could see he was shaken by talking about it. He took a deep breath and they sat in silence for a moment.

"Are you still in touch with anyone from school?" he asked, taking a break from his meal and sitting back to sip his drink. "Cos you had like a massive posse!" he joked.

Sadie laughed loudly. "A posse?!" she exclaimed.

"You did! There were about 15 of you lot. Walking around all cool, intimidating everyone." he teased.

"Yeah, cos following the rules, buttoning your blazer and carrying your backpack on both shoulders is so cool and intimidating right enough." she laughed.

"Well, I thought you were." he smiled.

"You did not!" Sadie shook her head and laughed but Stephen didn't react. "I probably see Carly the most, she lives near your eldest sister. I've seen your sister a few times out walking." she said. Steve nodded. "Chris Boles?" she questioned. Stephen nodded. "He's running hedge funds in America. Living in a massive penthouse with his dog and a guy who is some property mogul." she said.

"Yeah that's exactly what I thought he'd be doing." Stephen said. "Well, actually I thought he'd be married to you first THEN come out, move to America..." He said as he rolled his hand indicating the rest.

Sadie's head jerked back and she smiled with her mouth wide open in shock. "STEPHEN! No, just...no!" She shook her head and laughed. He shrugged and frowned. "Anyway!... do you remember Florianne, the French girl who joined in sixth form?" she asked.

"Curly hair, bit of a hippy, everyone fancied her?" Stephen asked. Sadie laughed and nodded, pointing to acknowledge his words. "Vaguely for a month or so before I left." he said.

"I forgot you left in the first term. You got a place at the catering college?" she asked. He nodded. "That's right! Well, Florianne has been all over the place, Austria, Nicaragua and finally Canada. Currently playing Earth Mother to some guy's unruly brats and 3 rescue dogs until she gets fed up and leaves, as per!" she shook her head.

"Still a hippy so no change there then?" he asked with a laugh. Sadie pursed her lips and shook her head. "What about big Stevie?" he asked.

"He's in Germany now. He married an English girl and they're running some sort of language classes for business people." she said, shaking her head to indicate she wasn't really sure. Stephen pouted and gave an impressed nod.

"I used to see Reagan about a good bit, he worked in the bistro for a lot of years..." she gestured up to the left side of the street outside.

"Yeah, we overlapped for a while. I was his boss - it was short-lived." He said flatly. "He's still the same! Massive stoner, loves a bottle of White Lightening." Stephen smirked and rolled his eyes. Sadie laughed and nodded. "He's doing long-distance lorry driving now, fuck knows how!" he shook his head. Sadie made an alarmed face.

"I used to love going there when I was home from uni but I knew when you'd left." she said. He tilted his head inviting her to contine. "The food went downhill rapidly!" she said.

"The bistro? You just didn't get extra portions or free dessert anymore cos I wasn't there!" he laughed. They maintained eye contact.

"Excuse me?! I never went to get extra portions or free dessert! The food was good and I was supporting local business." she said in a teasingly defensive tone. "I always asked the waiting staff if you were working and told them to tell you hello from me!" she smiled, wide eyed. He nodded and she saw a fondness in his eyes. "But you never came out of the kitchen!" she said, with a mock hurt tone in her voice.

"I said hello back, just not in person." Stephen smiled shyly. "Ahhh it just wasn't my thing, Sadie. I'd rather stay behind the scenes and send you out Banoffee Pie or Apple Crumble." he smiled shyly and shrugged. "Weren't they your favourites from that menu?" he asked. She looked surprised and nodded but it made her heart feel warm that he remembered.

"Well, for the record I appreciated it and your food was always delicious." she smiled softly. "When I found out you'd left and no one knew where you'd gone, I was disappointed." she said.

Stephen felt awkward and wanted to change the subject before he disclosed more than he was comfortable with at the moment. "Anyone else from school you still hear from?" he asked, thinking quickly.

"There's a few others I'm friends with on Facebook and if I saw them in public, we'd chat but that's it." she said with a shrug as she finished her food.

Stephen nodded as he finished his food. "Yeah, it's the same for me. It's hard to keep track and we've all grown apart. How long is it since we left school?...18 years?" he asked, closing one eye and squinting to think.

"Try 20!" she said quitely. "Or 22 for you!"

"Sadie! You could've broken it to me a bit more gently!" he teased. "Fucking hell we're old! Although... have you got some weird Benjamin Button thing going on?! You still look in your early 20's!" he said incredulously.

Sadie giggled. "That's what not getting engaged, married, separated or divorced and not having kids does for you!" she quipped.

"It just never happened for you or you engineered it that way?" he asked, cautiously.

Sadie took a deep breath and sighed. "Ehhh...s'pose I just avoided relationships really." she said, feeling embarrassed. "I'm happily child-free and I don't want that to change. Whether it's been me projecting or what, I dunno." she shrugged. "It got in the way once and took me a long time to find my purpose after that." she smiled with pursed lips. Stephen nodded. "You've been actively seeking for about the same length of time as me, haven't you? I remember seeing you on the Tinder circuit last year or the year before. Or should that be circus?!" She pondered.

"Definitely a circus!" Stephen laughed then his face suddenly got serious. "You mean to say that you DIDN'T swipe right for me, Sadie?!" he asked with mock disappointment.

Sadie bowed her head and frowned. "Well...I didn't think...you would swipe right for me so I just...didn't..." she said slowly in a quiet voice and shrugged.

"What?! REALLY?!" Stephen asked, staring at her. She nodded quickly, feeling self-conscious. "So when we bumped into each other at the coffee place last week you just took a chance?" he smirked.

"Pretty much!" she giggled nervously. "I saw you looking at my ring finger, I remembered feeling like I wished I'd swiped right on Tinder and I felt like I'd nothing else to lose!" she said honestly, letting her vulnerability show. "And if you'd politely declined, I would've just avoided you for the rest of our lives!" she teased.

Stephen stared at her and nodded once slowly. Sadie felt awkward. He looked away and then she saw in his face he was deciding to tell her something. "Remember the year after we'd left school and you were working in the store in the shopping centre?" he asked.

Sadie smiled remembering they saw each other nearly every day after almost a year of not seeing each other when Stephen was at catering college. "Yes, you used to come in to get something for your break?" she asked.

Stephen sighed softly. "I worked at the hotel then, I could've made anything I wanted for my break AND I walked past 3 newsagents' on the way to your store!" he said.

"Okay...?" she said, puzzled. "The hotel kitchen was probably stressful. Remember the day you cut your hand and you bought plasters from me then I helped you clean and bandage it?" she asked.

He nodded fondly and pointed to a small scar on the heel of his left hand. "That's the first day I realised you worked there and I was glad to see you again. So then every day I was working, I came to 'get something for my break'..." he said, watching her face intently.

She was smiling softly and looking at him when he saw her mind realise what he was saying and her face flushed. She gasped and put her hands over her face. "Oh my God!" She said.

"Ahh the penny's dropped!" he laughed as he leaned forward on the table.

She looked at him with a bashful expression. "Stephen! Why did you not say anything?! How did I not realise?!" She hissed. "You came in every day to see me?" she asked. He nodded and she put her hand over her heart on her chest. "You know I waited for that every day." she said and they stared at each other.

"WHAT?! Lies!" he said, with a surprised look on his face.

"No, honestly I really did but didn't think you liked me like that." She said, with a melancholy in her voice. Stephen looked down at his plate and sighed a laugh. "If you'd asked me out, I would've said yes." she said quietly with a shy smile. "Oh man, what are we like?!" She said. Stephen chuckled to himself just as the waiter came to lift their plates.

"Do you want dessert?" Stephen asked. She shook her head. "No? Really?! OK. Another drink? We could sit outside on the terrace." Stephen suggested. Sadie agreed. They got up to go to the bar where Stephen ordered more drinks and paid for their meal.

"Thank you for dinner. The meal was lovely. Thank you for inviting me." Sadie said as they sat down on a wooden bench under a patio heater on the terrace and Stephen switched it on.

"Not at all, it was my pleasure." Stephen said as he lay his arm along the back of the bench and Sadie nestled into him. "Thank you for accepting." They sat in comfortable silence for a moment, sipping their drinks and subconsciously easing their bodies against each other.

"Can I ask you about the Diabetes?" he asked cautiously.

"Of course!" she smiled.

He nodded. "What happened?"

"I had pancreatitis, I was very sick and had to have surgery to remove my pancreas." she said.

Stephen looked alarmed. "Fucking hell, Sadie! I didn't know that was...possible?!" He said quickly.

She nodded. "It definitely is, I have the scars, the Diabetes and the trauma to prove it." she said with a quiet laugh.

Stephen looked thoughtful. "I have so many questions... but I don't really know where to start. Or IF to start..." he said. Sadie held out her hand indicating for him to continue. "You said about counting the carbohydrate content of your meal?" he asked.

Sadie nodded. "Yeah, I am on a carb counting regime. I have a ratio for each meal time of carb value:insulin so I calculate the carb value of what I'm going to eat and use the ratio to work out how much insulin to give." she said.

Own2006
Own2006
60 Followers
12