Friendships Ch. 07

Story Info
The journalist and concerts.
12.2k words
4
2.2k
00
Story does not have any tags

Part 7 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/05/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thank you Tigerssman for your help with this story

*

The priest walked over to Joy's house to have a talk to her. "I want to preface my statement by saying I have not been sworn to secrecy, but Miss Noel has been, either by being asked or being self-imposed."

He then told Mr. Jacob's story. Miss Joy was horrified. "Now, I don't know why he told me, maybe he just needed to tell someone. I think he would qualify to be in your 'Bear family'. If I could be so bold to suggest that 'Baloo' would be a good name, as he was a teacher and guide."

"Perhaps, Amy can strengthen Miss Noel's riding weaknesses, so she can teach her husband how to ride. Maybe they can buy a four-year-old mare and colt, so they will be mature when the mare foals. It could heal the entire family."

Joy was in tears, she had no idea. She said, "I will go ahead with the bear part. I will have to ask them about the horse part. 'Sky' can heal Noel just like she is doing with Amy."

Later that night, Miss Joy stuffed several tear-stained pages into envelopes to every person she knew in the metro Orlando area. To the seamstresses she wrote:

'I am almost too heart-broken to pen this letter. In short, Mr. Jacob lost a wife and a daughter to natural disasters; Miss Noel lost a step-daughter, she was to be in my class. The priest submitted the name 'Baloo' for the bear name, as he was a teacher and guide.'

"Joy"

Everyone could see the letter was pockmarked with dried tearstains. Now, Joy normally wrote multi-page missives that told about everything going on and around NFU and she wanted to catch up on all the news from Orlando person by person. It was always so uplifting and inspiring. This letter was a dark one paragraph letter. It was so out of character of Joy no one knew what to think.

Mei got an excellent job with Disney, probably due to references from Anna and Elsa. She had a large condo, so she had two roommates to keep her company.

She was so worried, that she showed her roommates her version of the letter. Then she went into the history of Joy and Mei's college days. It took a long time, and her roommates couldn't figure out the Mistress part.

Mei said, "Let me show you her Facebook page." They were amazed at what they saw.

One of her roommates said, "Mei, I think you are reading her whole letter wrong. Think of it this way, she sent this letter out of love for a close friend, to a friend that she loves. She wants us to pray for Mr. Jacob and Miss Noel, so they can start to heal. It just seems out of character because death is out of character, and we have death of a wife, daughter and step-daughter all rolled up into one. We have something better, we have Christ!"

All three held hands and went into prayer; it took some time before anyone said anything. They all agreed to let the Holy Spirit lead their prayers. Mei was too upset about her friends in Northfield that she couldn't calm down enough to share a prayer.

Joy knew Mr. Jacob and Miss Noel were hurting. Joy decided to bring 'Buddie' to church, all the way down to the front row. Bringing 'Buddie' was not unusual as they often went to the nursing home after church. The first row is normally reserved for the elders; the elders knew Joy wanted to sit there for a reason.

Joy let go of 'Buddie's' leash. As soon as Jacob started his sermon 'Buddie' joined him. Jacob looked at Joy hoping she would retrieve 'Buddie'. Joy did not budge from her seat. The whole congregation knew 'Buddie' was working.

Jacob realized that the priest must have told Joy his story. Joy would only tell a select group of people, all of which were to pray for him. She will let him tell his story.

The following day a note from the postal office gave notice to pick up a parcel; the weight listed was fifty pounds.

He called Sarah, "Hi Sarah, I am calling to see if I can borrow a pickup and maybe a hand tomorrow. It seems I have a fifty-pound crate waiting for me at the post office. You wouldn't know anything about that would you?"

"Well, Mr. Jacob, I surely don't know what you mean."

"I will have Mr. Moe help you tomorrow."

Jacob said, "You might as well just invite everyone up for supper. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what it is."

After Sarah hung up she called to Amy, "Amy, can you and the twins go into town and invite them all to supper tomorrow. This is a massive surprise. Tell them there will be a Skype calls after dinner."

All the girls were wondering what the massive surprise was. It had to be a big one to invite all these people. The girls were exhausted. The last invite went to Mr. Jacob who assured them, "I will be there."

At 10:00 AM the forklift operator was loading the crate onto the bed of the pickup.

When they got I back to the ranch Sarah said, "No peeking," as if he could. It was a large wooden crate that needed a pry bar to open it

Dr. David oversaw the menu and was to cook the hot food. He gave Amy six recipes; each girl was to do two dishes for twelve people each. Amy had never made a whole dish before. Penny took the girls down to get the food. She showed them how to pick out the food.

Penny showed the girls how to cut the cheese into triangles and use a toothpick to make a four-pointed star, maybe some pepperoni in the middle. Penny said, "Try to be creative."

Francine picked up Krynn, Joy and 'Buddie' so David could keep his food hot.

The new townspeople could not figure this town out; it was like no one was not family around here. Sarah's sign rang so true 'Strangers may enter, only friends can leave'. The Greeks loved it, they were all new to the area; most of their families lived far away.

The house was packed. The girls brought some of their creations out to their horses. David pulled up with all the goodies and Amy and the twins helped carry it all in. The main course was 'Miss Anne's Killer Lasagna'.

You see, Joy helped make that dish the first time Anne, Joy and Mei went on their visitation; she knew the secret ingredients and David took it to another level. As always, David planned an 'Eat the rainbow' meal. Ceres had brought him some red, ripe tomatoes, green string green beans, and carrots from her garden.

Miss Sarah took pictures of all the food and posted it on Facebook. The girls were so excited when they saw how much everyone liked their dishes. Dr. David complimented them when he saw the empty dishes.

One of the seniors said to the girls, "I have not had 'Ants on a log' since I was a child. It brought back many fond memories when I helped my Mom make them."

Amy walked over to Mr. Jacob, "Mr. Jacob, where is Miss Noel?"

"Amy, Miss Noel is going through a very difficult time in her life now. She will not be there on Sunday either."

Amy said, "I promise I will pray extra hard for her."

"I know you will Amy, and so does she."

As the dishes were being cleared, Sarah and Dawn were connecting everyone to the two Skype Channels. Everyone started to migrate to the living room.

'Buddie' was also on his search for Miss Noel and was getting frustrated. He had a job to do and Miss Noel was not making things easier for him.

After a host of Skype introductions were done, Miss Sarah started the intro for the main event, "Everyone, Mr. Jacob knows what is in this box, as many of us also have received them. However, this is his special night, we will show our solidarity on Sunday. The people who made this creation now consider it an honor to make such an item."

With that, Mr. Larry handed a pry bar to Mr. Jacob.

On top of the inside contents sat a grey bear and a letter. The letter read: We had to have Miss Joy's letter translated by one of Miss Mei's roommates to make sense of it. The name was suggested by your priest friend.

Before Mr. Jacob fully opened any bag, he peeked into several and noticed each bag was themed based and each worker had a theme.

He reached into a bag and pulled out a purple felt robe with white lining and shoulders with the name 'Baloo' embroidered in gold. A golden orb and staff, and crown were included, just like a medieval king would have.

The next bag was marked 'Jesus'; inside were two bags marked 'Carpenter' and 'Cross', The 'Carpenter' bag had what Jesus would wear when he was a carpenter. The other was what he was wearing while he was being mocked in front of Pilate. It also had a small Bible and a small yellow bookmark and a large Bible bookmark. It was Joy's favorite verse about peace in one's self:

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation but take courage; I have overcome the world."

"John 16:33"

Jacob walked over to Joy and hugged her, then sobbed. The crate was only partially unpacked, but there was a sense this event was a private one. One by one all the Skype channels were closed; everyone else went home or went into the bunkhouses. Only 'Buddie', Joy and Jacob remained.

Joy handed Jacob 'Buddie's' leash. "Take him home with you for a few days. I will bring food and treats over tomorrow. I think your whole household could use him. Have Miss Noel take him for walks. She needs something to love her, no matter what she says."

"Joy, you do not play fair. Noel does not want to talk to anyone, so you send in 'Buddie' for an elongated stay. Thank you."

The following night, Jacob, Noel and 'Buddie' watched an action flick. 'Buddie' lay next to Noel on the love seat and Jacob had the rocking chair. At 9:00 PM Jacob went off to work on his sermon, Noel started talking to 'Buddie' like a long-lost friend. Jacob went up to bed at 12:00 AM, alone. Sometime during the night, both Miss Noel and 'Buddie' had fallen asleep on the love seat.

When Joy came to check up on 'Buddie', 'Buddie' welcomed her with tail wagging.

Jacob said, "Joy, they talked all night, not sure when they fell asleep."

Joy said, "Jacob, would you like to hear our skeleton master plan for you two?"

"I knew it, you always have something up your sleeve. What is it?"

"Well, Noel knows she needs to improve her riding skills and Amy is certified and has the time. Both are working through their own problems. Amy will go on rides, have picnics, and basically be her confidant. Molly will teach Amy how to handle questions."

"Then Noel will teach you how to ride so you can ride together as a family. We hope for you to buy a colt and filly around the age of four or five of excellent stock and have her foal."

"This is all based on what you two will decide. If you don't want to do any of the horse part, we will not force you to do it. You need to talk it over with Noel. If you do not want 'Buddie' here anymore, that is OK also."

When 'Buddie' came back from his evening walk, Noel seemed at peace. Jacob decided it would be an appropriate time to present the plan to Noel.

"A horse? Each of us to have our own horse and to have mine foal? Oh, Jacob, we hardly get out to do anything, this may be a good outlet. You have already seen at the ranch how much people need animals."

"I thought you might say that; I did some research to see what breed I like. Of course, he weighs a lot, but he is a stallion, so he is heavier than a mare."

The next day, Noel brought 'Buddie' to Joy; they needed to go to the nursing home soon. Noel called Sarah to see if she and Jacob could come up for supper.

"Sure, you can, you are always welcome. I know you knew that, so what is so mysterious?"

At supper time Jacob made an announcement. "Sarah, Joy told me about your overall plan for Noel and me. I think having Amy teach Noel to improve her horse riding skills and then have Noel teach me, would make it more family oriented. Noel is thrilled about getting a horse for both of us."

"She has not had time to decide on a breed yet, but I did some searching around today. I was reading about what horses are best for beginners. I kind of like the gaited horses. I think I decided on a 'Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse'; they have a good temperament. I was thinking of the 'Tennessee Walking Horse' but it was suggested that it was for older riders."

"They had a list for the ten top breeds for beginners. I thought it would make the search easier if we used that. I saw the quarter horse that if Noel ever gets mad at me, they can go fifty-five miles per hour for a quarter of a mile."

"We seem to be collecting a wide range of horse breeds. Dr. Daisy will need to bring her 'A' game about special food and genetic predisposed sicknesses each breed has."

Dr. Daisy said, "I never thought about that. It would certainly let me diagnose some of the animals better if I knew what they are predisposed to."

Miss Dawn had some long talks with Amy, what to look for, and some tips and tricks for riding. They came up with three lists, one from where Miss Noel was, and another from the beginning. Miss Dawn favored this one, and the Basic teacher list.

Everyone was nervous on the first day Amy was to teach Miss Noel. Amy could come back in tears or being on cloud nine.

Amy thought of a plan. She figured Miss Noel would remember most of the riding course, so she made the first day two hours instead of one. Amy had over practiced so much, 'Sky' knew what was going to happen before Amy did.

At the last minute, Mr. Jacob came up to learn with Miss Noel. Miss Noel said, "Amy I am not sure if I can teach Mr. Jacob, could you teach both of us, together as a family?"

Amy said, "Today will be a two-hour lesson. I need to see where both of you are and how fast you can learn. When I was learning, Miss Dawn told me I had to let her know if I didn't understand something. I expect you to do the same."

At supper time, Dawn asked Amy, "How did Miss Noel and Mr. Jacob do today?"

Amy said, "They did very well. I expected that Miss Noel still remembered most things. I had Mr. Jacob go last so he could see how to do things better. He is a very fast learner.

Miss Noel viewed the 'Ten Best Breeds of Horses for Beginners' list. The list stressed you needed a horse based on temperament rather than breed. They got in touch with a stable that had the 'Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse' that Mr. Jacob wanted. Miss Noel, Mr. Jacob, Dr. Daisy and Amy got in the truck with a six horse, horse trailer, along with 'Angel' and 'Sky', and headed to the ranch to take a two week plus travel time vacation so Mr. Jacob could spend some time with each horse for sale.

It would take two days to arrive. Dr. Daisy brought her laptop, so Mr. Jacob can do Skype sermons.

It was agreed that on 'Day One' Dr. Daisy would perform a medical examination of the potential horses and then take a week exercising and evaluating all the horses, so a horse can redeem himself from a bad start. The owner of the ranch had six horses to pick from. They were all slightly older than four.

Week two would start by narrowing the selection down to one or two horses and have extended time with the horse.

Mr. Jacob loved riding on a 'gaited horse'; there was a certain elegance to their stride. He tested two out the first day.

At suppertime, the owner asked. "Why were you talking to my horses Mr. Jacob?"

Daisy smiled, "We all pledge to them that we would never whip them no matter what. Everyone at 'Image of God' follows the lead of Miss Dawn and her mother. It is also written in all the contracts, whips are forbidden at the ranch."

The next day a truck with a horse trailer in tow from a different ranch drove into the driveway and the owner of the ranch asked Dr. Daisy and Noel to help off-load the horses.

Miss Noel said, "What kind of horses are these?"

"These are quarter horse mare's ma'am. I was told you might be interested in one of them. They are the same age as the ones your husband is testing out. I am a close friend of the owner."

Dr. Daisy spent the next hour checking all the mares out. She said, "I feel these horses are fit. Let's hope you find one who you just fit with like I did with 'Angel'."

"Dr. Daisy, do you think I could ride with Miss Noel? Shouldn't she know how her horse would act around other people and horses?" said Amy.

"Only if you don't tell her if you like the horse or not, that has to be her decision."

After Noel tried all four of the horses, it was obvious that two of them were a natural fit.

Mr. Jacob had been keeping a ratings list after every ride. After the third ride he would eliminate two or three horses.

After the third ride, Dr. Daisy rode with Mr. Jacob to evaluate the final three horses.

Miss Noel made her decision by judging how the final two interacted in the stable.

It was an easy pick for Noel; the color was like 'Apache's' and it had a 'Blaze', a long white marking going from forehead to muzzle. 'Angel' had a 'Stripe', which was a thinner and shorter white marking on her face.

"OK Amy, time to pack a picnic and go for a ride to celebrate."

Dr. Daisy commented, "I am sure having it be the same color as 'Apache' had no impact on your decision."

Noel blushed, "Well maybe a wee bit," everyone laughed.

"When I ride on her, I can feel the power she has. I can't wait for Amy to teach me how to ride better so I can let that power loose."

The owner of the quarter horses said, "I wish I could have such a natural mesh with my horse that you have with that horse. You were made for each other. Have you picked a name?"

"Not yet. 'Honey', 'Morning Star' and 'Dayspring' are on my short list."

Noel said, "Amy and I are going up to the beautiful spot up by the creek to have a picnic," with that Noel and Amy took off to their picnic spot.

The beautiful spot was just that, lush vegetation made the whole area come to life. If you closed your eyes, the sounds of the babbling brook and birdsong would put you to sleep.

God had just turned Amy's world on its head. Miss Noel had officially confirmed that Amy was her confidante. She would hear things that Miss Noel could not tell Mr. Jacob. Amy could not fathom that this was a life changing moment for Miss Noel as well. Now that Miss Noel had an outlet to talk to people, she would be a better person and have a better marriage to Mr. Jacob. Amy knew she would need some long talks with Miss Molly.

The horse Mr. Jacob picked was a lighter color brown than Miss Noel's, and his had a thick, extra-long blonde mane and tail. The mane looked so freeing as Mr. Jacob got up to speed.

On the second week, two of the owners' hands took Mr. Jacob for some rides and riding lessons so he could feel more comfortable with his horse. Everyone thought teaching them on home soil would be easier for the horses. Each day, Mr. Jacob's horse was getting used to how Mr. Jacob moved as Mr. Jacob learned his lessons. They were becoming one.

At the end of the week, everyone except Dr. Daisy, piled into the truck and headed to the tack shop. Mr. Jacob remembered what Miss April said, "Don't get a fine animal and then disrespect your horse by getting budget gear."

Jacob went over to the more expensive side of the store. "Jacob, we can't afford that tack."

"Dear, I know we will have to tighten our belts a bit, but this tack has better workmanship, better materials and will last forever if we take care of it. We will have a more pleasurable time with this stuff."

Noel said, "Well, I guess if we had to repair or replace any of the lower price equipment because of a lower workmanship or materials, it would not be as good of a deal, you are right. We need to respect our animals."

The salesperson was assembling all the tack that went with that line. Amy said, "Ma'am, whips aren't needed, they are forbidden where we are going. We pledge to our horses that we will never whip them."

The salesperson said, "What is the name of the ranch you are going to?"

"'Image of God', 'Apache' lives there."

"'Apache'! I would love to meet him."