From a Distance

Story Info
Angel struggles with outcome he shouldn't try to prevent.
767 words
4.32
2.9k
4
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note - This story is part of the 750 word challenge.

- - - - -

I shouldn't be here. There are souls to guard, lives to nudge in one direction or another, and yet, I have perched upon this rooftop for nearly a quarter hour, waiting for the tragedy to unfold. Though my heart is heavy, I cannot—will not—intervene, no matter how much I want to.

This is God's plan.

Decades of violence haunt the garbage-riddled street mostly cloaked in darkness. Shadowy figures linger in the doorways, marked by dots of fire from lit cigarettes. These fierce men, content to enjoy the spoils of their thievery and drug peddling, tip back bottles of booze while they chat, joke and scheme. Packer Lane—or Murder Row, as many call it—is never safe to travel alone. But Kenneth doesn't know that. He's only just moved to the city with his young daughter to start a new job as a social worker. He is a genuine servant of the people.

Kenneth clears the corner with a full grocery bag in each hand and comes to a sudden halt. His instincts tell him to be cautious. He manages a single step back before the forms move in to surround him.

"Hey! What've we got here?" a cocky voice asks from within the crowd.

Another declares with palpable menace, "I think you're in the wrong neighborhood, man."

Kenneth stiffens. He looks around, but can't find an escape route through the ring of bodies. His gaze drops to the shorter man pushing up on tiptoe to get in his face. "Sorry, just a simple mistake."

"Nah, a BIG mistake. Hand over your phone and wallet, and MAYBE you'll still be breathing when we're done with ya."

Thoughts of three year-old Candace and Tammy, the babysitter, flicker in Kenneth's mind. He needs to return home to them, but cooperating doesn't insure that outcome. There is one thing he's sure of, though. Kenneth is fast, very fast—broke every track record in high school and college by the time he graduated. So, he makes his choice.

"Uh, uh, of course," he stammers, holding out the bags, which the short guy and another snatch away to investigate. As he hoped, the rest of the group mills forward, craning their necks to see what goodies they've acquired and opening up a hole in their wall.

Kenneth lunges, knocking aside a couple of the men. The impact throws off his balance and he almost trips, but his shoes find traction and he bolts, running for the distant lights of the shops and convenience store near Bixby Park.

"Whoa! Whoa!"

"Catch that motherfucker!"

There's a flash of light as a gunshot rings out, but Kenneth doesn't slow or teeter.

I take flight, keeping high enough to not be seen as I follow the men in their desperate chase down Murder Row. I'm tempted to swoop down, scoop Kenneth up as he passes through a thick patch of night and forever change the course of his destiny. I could do it, spirit him away to safety. But again, I know I shouldn't be that selfish.

The next shot echoes off the dark fronts of the buildings. I perceive that the conclusion has arrived when Kenneth enters the intersection of Packer and Lance. A police cruiser speeds down Lance, screeching to a halt between the pursuers and Kenneth. A bullet strikes the driver's door, and Officer Megan Durant comes out of the passenger side firing, aiming over the crowd's heads to avoid hitting bystanders.

"Cops! Run!"

I land upon a high sill to watch people scatter, the street emptying out in less than a minute.

Holstering her sidearm, Megan approaches the panting, trembling Kenneth to rest a reassuring hand upon his arm. She's stunning as ever; and with that one touch, I ache inside. Quick tears fill my eyes. This is the start of the end. The end of our love story.

Megan's been in pain a long time. Kenneth too. By Candace's fourth birthday, he will hold my place in Megan's heart.

I shouldn't be here. I just wanted to see him meeting her, starting a new chapter in both their lives. Duty beckons, yet I linger, wishing I could devote myself to them, Candace, and the two boys waiting in Heaven to join the family.

God says that's not my job. There are others more vulnerable to watch over.

I rise as Megan helps Kenneth into the back of the cruiser. I watch it disappear up Lance, knowing that despite the trials yet to come, Megan will be happy.