From Ages Past Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There are certainly no shortage of curious eyes and ears." Most knew the broad strokes of her dark history, but the particulars were no one's business and would do nothing but make her position impossibly difficult. It was enough that she was one with a dark past and has chosen the path of reform. That was truth enough. They did not need to know that she had been captured after hatching a plot to let a good portion of the city burn in fire and magic-induced rage simply to serve as a distraction for the kidnapping of Khylen Jaye, daughter of Bryana and Deres's other and daughter to Bryana in every other way that mattered to both.

Even with the broad strokes known, there were whispers, and a mix of fear and general disdain. It was nothing she wasn't used to given her history, but, given that and her equal disdain for others, she would have already moved on from this guild as she moved on from her first one so many moons ago to embrace the life of an outlaw mage, wanted by all.

But she was changed by Deres and Bryana and set with the task of building a life when she could no longer be the person she was that could raze a good portion of the city simply as a means to an end. Even so, building life with others when one was used to a solitary life and was used to functioning where others didn't matter, came in small steps, not unlike learning the mage arts in the first place.

"Are you not one of those saying that I should try empathy as a tool for interaction? I believe you are, so you should not be all that surprised that I finally decided to attempt it so that you might stop badgering me about how much the feelings of others matter and that I need to acknowledge that." Her tone softened ever so slightly, "Aside from that, the fact is that, while I was and largely am perfectly content not to spend great amounts of time trying to understand others, I understand Lidel's position."

"And while you struggled with your art alone, you choose to help another not suffer the same way."

"Since I choose to remain here with this guild, I may as well maximize my utility to those within it."

Vale struck a more serious tone. "How do you feel about the prospect of individual tutoring? It's a bit different from a class. You'll actually get to know the young man a bit more."

"Not particularly so if we focus on what he needs help with."

"That's not quite how it works," Vale corrected. "There will be breaks. There is the time away from lessons. He'll hope that the two of you might establish a rapport, which I recommend actually because it will help him trust you and your skill when those moments come when he wants to fling a book across the room and give up."

"I do not make friends."

Vale stopped and turned to meet her gaze. After a deliberate pause, "Then what am I?"

"Different," Sylanna said plainly and as though that should have ended the matter. When it did not, when it was clear that Vale wanted more than her usual few words and would not let the matter drop until she had them, Sylanna continued in a tone that sounded a bit like instruction. "We have traveled together and we have endured together." The next words sounded foreign to her ear even when she knew the truth of them as she spoke them. "Because of that, you trust me, and I trust you. That is not the same as baring my soul to a student in the hopes that he might see value in what I'm telling him to do beyond the fact that he wants to learn the correct way to do things."

"And I'm not suggesting that you give him your life story. All I'm saying is that, while it might take effort on your part, that you simply work to be a bit more open. It will honestly be a good opportunity for you. He will reach out in small ways, be open in small ways." Sylanna was about to be exasperated before Vale put an end to it. "I'm just saying 'try.' You'll know when the moment comes. Weigh your response. Be open. Try. Trust me."

Sylanna would promise nothing and she knew Vale wouldn't expect her to.

They resumed walking together and Vale kept her tone light, "So...?"

"So...what?"

"If I'm not a friend, what am I?"

"I never said you weren't a friend."

Vale's green eyes betrayed some irritation, "You clearly said you didn't have friends."

"Note the plural," she said flatly. "And even if the plural applied, you are still different."

"Different in a good way or a bad one?"

Sylanna sighed. "Must you?"

"Clearly, sometimes I must." She touched Sylanna's hand and it didn't surprise her that, for just long enough to be perceptible her muscles flexed as though she might pull away before she did not. Vale wasn't bothered by it as it wasn't fear of intimacy, as that bridge had well been crossed. Vale believed that it was simply a matter of getting used to any sort of public displays of it and Sylanna hadn't corrected the notion or outright rejected Vale's overtures, so Vale was content to let her work through things in her own way.

"Vale, this came for you."

The two stopped and turned to the voice that belonged to Delvine, one of those that found their way to any guild through one path or another and did what they could to help it run in return for safety and security. Sylanna and Vale returned with her after she was made a victim of another's unrestrained anger and frustration driven forth by magic he never truly understood. The flatness in her voice and the light in her eyes that suggested that what was there was nothing like what it once was were the only outward tells that all was not as it should have been. She would always need someone to care for and direct her, and this place, hidden from the greater world, was ideal in that it would never demand from her more than the little she could provide.

"Thank you, Delvine," Vale said, taking the proffered envelope. Recognizing the writing, curiosity got the better of her and she opened it immediately and began to read. Sylanna watched her and waited for a moment before looking back to Delvine and saying gently, "You may go."

She did so with a small nod and by the time Sylanna looked back she saw Vale's expression go from puzzled to uncharacteristically concerned as she looked between the letter and the drawing that came with it. Vale already had her fingers on the paper not the letter itself as she asked, "May I?" Vale wordlessly surrendered it.

In her travels Sylanna had ended up with considerable experience with the bits of the old world that remained. She would have put her stock against any scholar in the world, but she ended up mirroring Vale's brief look of confusion, "I assume you do not know what this is?"

Vale shook her head just as she finished the letter, "I assume you don't either because I imagine you would be proudly schooling me on whatever it is."

"You assume correctly...that I do not know what it is." She noted the same paper and ink used for both. Is this some art work given to you or something else that matters?"

She shook her head. "He's not exactly an artist and, even if he were, that doesn't hold any special meaning."

Sylanna gave it one more look, "It seems reminiscent of some glyphs I've seen, but ultimately so different I wouldn't attempt to ascribe it to them."

Vale took it back, "Whatever it is, he felt I needed to see it, and he needs my help." Vale was already walking a steady pace to Mistress Lia's chambers with Sylanna in tow.

A short time later, Deres, Bryana, Vale, and Sylanna were in Bryana's study as she looked over the message sent while listening to Vale speak to its contents and the man who sent it. Finally, Lia looked at her from her position bent over the simple hardwood desk. Dealing in forbidden magics and the death that simply practicing the craft could bring as well as dealing with the types of people that would hire people that dealt in forbidden magics gave them, what Mistress Lia thought of as a healthy paranoia to carry with them into work and life. "I remember you off on jobs for him here and there. I've never met the man personally, but there's no reason you can think of that he'd lead you into nonsense, or a trap?"

"Not at all, Mistress. Anatol is kind, if a bit cool at first, but he's into nothing particularly dark."

"Then what are the mages for?" Deres asked with some seriousness because everyone in the room knew that people often had facets that they displayed to some and not others.

Vale answered, "Because he occasionally deals with some others that have more connections than he does to the gray areas of his vocation. Some of them are temperamental as well. With that combination, he's found it very useful to have a personable mediator with a guild behind them if need be."

"He would not game me and he needs help, so I wanted to inform you that I'm going to see what all this is about and try to help if I can."

"And I will accompany her," Sylanna added plainly, adding before Vale could respond, "You are capable, but when facing the unknown the more capable help you can have, the better, and I'm certain that I am capable."

"I actually wasn't going to dissuade you, but what of your student?"

"It will not hurt him to delve a bit more deeply into gesture theory for a few days on his own before I set him to work."

Bryana was about to inquire about the seemingly very new development of Sylanna having a student to tend to, but she paused, seeing Deres's fixation on the drawing, which she returned to looking at in the hopes that she might discover what he saw. "At first I thought they were roads, but some of the angles are too sharp and too many, and none of them lead anywhere familiar. I wish there was more of it."

"The artist sacrificed size for detail, but it looks like machine detail."

"Do you know what it is?"

He puzzled before a quick intake of breath and a shake of his head, "I would have liked a bit more size, but it's familiar. I can't name it, but it's familiar somehow."

"These notations," Vale began, pointing to them, "here, and here, are clearly in Anatol's hand, which I recognize. Judging by the fact that he contacted me in this way, I believe that time was of the essence. He has given us all there is, or what he could in the time he thought he had without giving it awat to whomever he was afraid of."

"I recognize these," Bryana said, "some of them anyway. They are numeric notations I've seen in the oldest books I've ever touched."

That sparked something in Deres, not enough for an epiphany, but more than enough for a decision. "I'm going with you. I have to know for certain what this is, even if it's nothing at all. It was important enough to him to send it to you because he believed it was important to those he fears."

She recognized the bits that she did and she saw the concern in his eyes. He grew up beyond them. Before returning to the land of his birth, he spent his childhood in a place in a place of legend, a place that few believed existed beyond the imagination of dreams and fairy tales. It was the place that legend said the last of the mages built to be away from the mundanes that would see them enslaved or dead. Those few that remained in the known world were faced with a choice: abandon all they knew, save for healing magics that were simply too valuable to abandon, die, or move underground and practice what they knew.

That some chose as they did put their descendants in this room now. Those that fled took their knowledge with them, preserved it, and built upon it. They were the last tie to the old world and to the one before. If what was before Deres was enough to concern him, that was enough to concern her greatly. She looked to Sylanna and Vale, "Make the preparations you need to make and so will we. Let me know when you're ready."

"Right away, Mistress," Vale responded.

When the two were alone, Deres took the drawing, folded it carefully and carefully pocketed it. He had to return home to make preparations himself. "We? I take that to mean you're coming, too."

"I'm not. With Neral taking troops on on one of the death marches she calls survival training, someone should stay with Khylen, and I have responsibilities here beyond that. I would be happy to follow behind you as a strong arm to keep you and the others safe, but that's all I could be. I know less of what you seek than you do."

She closed her eyes, touched her power, and sent it forth into the void, knowing that the one who she intended to receive it would, "Fortunately, I can be in two places at once."

It pleased her to hear the soft echo in her mind, Immediately, Mistress. That taken care of, she closed upon and embraced him. "You will be careful."

"As careful as I can be."

"That's not particularly reassuring, my love."

He smiled. "I never trouble trouble. That trouble troubles me on occasion is hardly my fault." The comment gave way to a deep, soulful kiss. "I will miss you."

Not wanting to dwell on the anxiety of him heading off into the unknown, she kept herself tied to happier moments. "At least you leave me and my bed sated." Her hand caressed his cheek, "For at least an hour."

"Oh, at least." The word 'love' paled when it came to what he felt for the women closest to him "Bedding you is quite pleasant and I'll do it again first thing upon my return."

She sighed, "Not if Neral beats you home. Then I know full well I will be getting seconds...and probably fourths after that."

That love crept into his response, "Your fault for being so desirable. Hers, too."

"I'll tell her you said that just to see if there's an entertaining result. Go home and do what you need to do. Come back here when you're ready."

He kissed her hand and, before he left, replied with his own, "Yes, Mistress."

* * *

There was still a good piece of the day left, but the sun was edging towards sunset by the time Deres returned with his pack and the simple cloaks and clothing he preferred. Married to the head of the highest of the High Houses, save the Royal House itself, he could have had all the ostentation he desired, but he desired none. To be fair though, while House Jaye knew that, at times, such displays were necessary and none of them mimicked poverty, none of them went out of their way to display their wealth either. Bryana knew that he was prepared for whatever may come.

Even so, she had her own preparations in place, namely in the form of the woman who was before her literally on bent knee, head down, listening to Mistress as She spoke, speaking only when she felt the need, which was little. She was content to simply let Her words wash over her as the divine bliss that they were as Bryana told her of the past hours. All that she was she owed to the woman that she had surrendered to; the woman that crafted her mind, body, and soul, and owned it all.

"He may need all that you are, Mara. I sent for you, specifically, because of that. If they simply needed strength and speed, your sisters in service would be enough, but I suspect that they will need your mind and wits as well."

"He will have it. They will all have all I can give and more if need be, Mistress."

Bryana caressed that thick, luminous, hot red hair, "I know. And why is that?" She asked because she knew that Mara would want to answer and the thrill it would give her was a small parting gift that she could offer.

Her voice was love, awe and, in its own way, a passionate release not unlike an orgasm in itself. "Because you shaped my mind. All that you are lives within me and guides me even without your words to direct me." Saying those words aloud to Her made her want to weep as they always did and that added wetness endured as she rose and turned to see Deres approach, "And all that You cherish, we cherish." Mara felt Bryana's love for him and had from the moment she was remade, as though Mara herself had built that life and history with him. It was something the Mara of old always wanted and dreamed of having, even if she never wanted the daily assault of meaningless rote that would accompany it along with what she'd thought of as an ordinary life.

Now she had an extraordinary life and her heart was filled with love, not only for her sisters in service, but for everyone that She loved. Mara flushed at his smile and she felt her nipples press suddenly and forcefully against her dark green corset with polished silver buckles and a matching long skirt. The corset pushed forth her more than substantial assets that she saw him examine quickly. She knew he loved her tits and her fair skin and eyes of deep green. He loved her voluptuousness. Mistress even crafted her form to appeal to him, which made it appeal to her that much more.

"Mara, what a coincidence to see you here as we are just about to leave on a bit of an adventure."

"I could craft a story to amuse you, but the fact of the matter is that Mistress called to me and I obeyed."

"What makes you think that doesn't amuse me?"

"I'm sorry I'm inflicting him upon you."

She looked to her blonde Goddess, "As always, I will endure anything you demand."

"Still..."

"Don't trust that I can take care of myself?"

She knew the tease in his tone, "Not at all. You just seem to take care of yourself slightly better with me or Neral at your side. So, even though I'm not accompanying you, I can send with you the next best thing."

"With some of your finest work no less."

Mara dipped her head in acknowledgment.

"I was hoping you'd see us off," he said to Bryana.

"The least I can do is to see to it you get where you're going without getting lost."

Deres huffed even as he grinned. "I taught you the transportation spell. Remember?"

"And the student surpasses the master." Then she found that tender tone that she reserved only for those closest to her. "You have taught me much about many things in magic, and in life."

"You teach me still." Deres drew closer and Mara took a single, reverent step back so that their lips could touch one more time.

She closed her eyes, letting herself feel his hand at her cheek. Opening her eyes once again, she shooed him away, "Be off with you before we cover one another in mush all night."

Bryana left him behind, making her own way in the clearing to put space between what she was about to do and the horses who were fond of none of it. With that, Deres and Mara began the walk to their mounts. Deres was a bit shorter than the common male and Mara slightly smaller still. It never bothered him, as it had proven beneficial more than once in that opponents underestimated him. "I know that you're not bothered either way, but I just want to say that I'm in no way troubled by your coming."

Mara looked in his direction, "I know that, but you owe me no explanation."

"Maybe I just feel better saying it anyway."

"Thank you."

"It's probably nothing at all, I just have to know, you know?"

She nodded. "The question gnaws until it's answered. And, if it is nothing and all easily resolved, I will be as relieved as you, Deres."

"If it is nothing," he began, mounting his horse in a single, fluid motion, "then it will at least be a day or two with someone I am particularly fond of."

"For me as well." Placing herself atop her own mount the four waited for what they knew was coming.

Ahead of them Bryana stood, arms partially outstretched and deep in concentration, a prized talisman in each hand. Slightly ahead if her, the air itself seemed to roil and ripple as forces pulled and twisted it. What would normally have been just more open field ahead of them gave way to darker skies, rain, and, judging by the way the limbs of the trees swayed beyond the barrier of magic, more than a little wind.

"If I believed in omens, this would not be a good one," Vale said to no one in particular.

"The weather is, of course, just the weather," Deres began, pulling his hood up and readying his horse to go forward, "but if your friend lived on a sunny, sandy beach somewhere, I would not have complained."