From the Devil's Cradle Ch. 04

Story Info
Chapter 4 We find out more about Caleb.
3.1k words
4.79
3k
6
1

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 04/06/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Caleb and Jessica arrive at Caleb's house after their date and Caleb has spotted something amiss. We also get some more clues into who Caleb is, as he and Jessica are visited by the ghosts of his mother and sister.

Caleb's sharp eyes focused on Jessica, "Do you have your service pistol on you?"

"No. What's wrong?"

"See that tiny red light on my garage door near the roof," he pointed.

Jessica's eyes searched the darkness, finding nothing, then finally followed his pointed finger to the tiniest pinhole of red light. "Oh, yes."

"How do you see that so easy?"

"I see pretty well at night. That red light means someone has been in my house, it also means they bypassed the alarm."

Jessica took her phone from her purse.

"No, don't call anyone," he said putting the truck in park.

Caleb reached behind the front seat, his fore and index finger finding the scanner under the edge of the back seat. There was an electronic beeping, a click then he flipped up the back seats.

Jessica looked back at what he was doing, "Holy shit Caleb!"

He removed a Glock 19X, from the custom compartment underneath the seat. Jessica could see another pistol, a shotgun, a rifle, extra magazines and what appeared to be a short sword or an extra-large knife.

"Stay here."

"Bullshit!" Jessica said grabbing the other Glock 19X from the compartment.

"There is one in the chamber no need to rack the slide, you have twenty rounds. Keep the light off too. Please Jess stay on my six."

"Ok."

"Have you ever had to fire your weapon at someone?"

"No."

"This is different than a range Jess," Caleb said his eyes searching her for fear. "It happens extremely quick, identify your target first. Finger off the trigger till it is identified. Fire till it stops moving, do not stop till it does. Jessica nodded.

"Till it stops Jess, he repeated." Again she nodded.

"Slow steady controlled shots."

He looked at her again, she could see his eyes from the dash light. His eyes were no longer warm and welcome, they were the eyes of a predator, almost animalistic, his smile a thin line of determination. She barely noted at the time, but would remember later, that his eyes almost appeared to have slight a blue glow in the whites. A shiver ran across her causing goose flesh, she would chalk it up then as the glow of the dash lights then.

"Ok," she said.

He lowered the seat bottom then flipped the back of the seats down, here put this on, he said handing her body armor.

"Fuck Caleb, you are prepared for a small war in here."

"Jess, sometimes war comes looking for you, and when you least expect it."

Jessica undone the straps and put on the armor. Caleb killed the truck.

"Close your eyes, gently don't squeeze them, for a minute and let your brain get used to the dark. Do not consciously try to override your sense let them happen Jess. Allow your primal instincts to work."

"Primal?"

"Yes, same as when people exhibit super strength like when a mother lifts a car off her child. We are wired to work primally. We have been conditioned to not notice it or override without thought. Let it work tonight."

"Ok baby," she said.

He smiled.

"Ready?"

"Yeah," she whispered.

Caleb reached up flipping the overhead light switch to make sure it would not come on when the door opened. Slowly he made his way around the house to the back door, Jess right behind him, checking each window as they went. Around back he inserted his key, placing a finger to his lips looking at Jessica.

She nodded. He made entry slowly checking the kitchen he as he entered. Noticing the alarm was set he disabled it.

Almost painstakingly Jessica thought he cleared the entire house room by room, how he could have saw anyone in the dark was beyond her. She had just kept her hand on his back hoping he could see well enough. In their search they found no one. She was about to speak when he held his finger back to his lips.

"It's safe, but I need you to stay here and not talk for a minute or two," he whispered directly into her ear. "I have to get something; I will be back."

She nodded.

He kissed her lips, "It's safe Jess," and smiled.

Her heart started calming down and she nodded.

In the garage he went and into the secret room making sure it closed behind him as he headed back to her.

She followed along quietly as he walked room to room with a large handheld device that looked like some weird cell phone as they went. Twice she saw it blink red, once in the living room and once in the bedroom. He led her back out the way they came in and into the back yard.

"What is it Caleb," she whispered?

"Two bugs in the house, one living room, one bedroom. Your partner I'd bet." Caleb pulled out his cell phone dialing. Jessica's heart sank, Richard as about to be fired.

"Yes this is Caleb Sparks my address is 107 Laurel Oak Drive, pass code is Xray, Seven, Four, Four, Tango, Alpha, Niner," Caleb waited a few seconds seeming to listen. "Yes, why was my alarm disabled? At what time and for how long," Caleb again listening? "Thank you. No that will be all."

Again Caleb dialing, "Hey Kass, sorry to call you so late. Huh?" He laughed, "yeah, we went to a county fair. Oh by the way cotton candy is great," he laughed. Jessica wanted to laugh but her fear for Richard was gnawing at her.

"Can you make sure my alarm company knows that nobody but myself, you or Jessica is to ever disable my alarm. No I will take care of that. Kass I got this one. Thank you. You too. I don't know our date is still going on," he smiled then laughed. "Get your mind out of the gutter."

"Don't worry Jess," he said after he hung up the phone, he gets a free pass here, but he does it again..."

"He won't baby," she said.

"I could get used to you calling me baby," he said kissing her firmly.

"You keep kissing me like that I will be calling you Papi," she smiled feeling the relief Richard may survive this one.

Caleb now had a big smile, "Papi huh?"

"Papi," she said kissing him, her tongue meeting his for the first time.

"My... Mr. Sparks, I may need to frisk you."

"Oh?"

"I think you may be hiding another weapon," she pushed her pelvis to him.

"Oh, it's harmless just a little .22 derringer."

She ran her hand along the length of it causing him to gasp.

"Seems to me it's a large caliber with an extended barrel."

He laughed as she kissed him causing her to laugh.

"Ok, so do you want your partner to hear the rest of the date," then blushed? "Sorry I..."

She smiled; "Caleb I do love you blushing," she could see it in the lights from the street. "The dating thing is new to you huh?"

"Well I'm just really out of practice."

"Serve his ass right to let him hear," she laughed, "but no I don't want him to hear me moaning your name later."

"Fuck," he barely whispered.

"I never heard you curse before," Jessica laughed.

"Ok, so... we could we mess with your partner now."

"How?"

"We go in talking then in a minute you start screaming for help."

"Oh you are so wrong for this," Jessica said with a smile.

"Well he has two choices come himself or call all cars and blow his own deal."

"Caleb...," she said but was smiling.

They went in the front laughing after securing the weapons back in the truck vault and moving the truck in front of the garage.

"Oh Caleb let me slip into something more naked, I will be back." They were both trying hard as they could to laugh quietly.

Jess did go the bathroom to tinkle the came back in the living room.

"So sailor what do you think," Jessica putting on her most seductive voice?

"My goodness I haven't been on shore leave in a long time."

They made out a few minutes then started their acting again.

"Caleb stop."

"What? Jess why?"

"I can't."

But why, you been teasing me all day?"

"I... I just can't."

"Prick tease," he said angrily.

"Please stop," she begged louder!

"No," Caleb said with and angry grunt. "You are going to take it and take it now," he snapped at her than slapped his hands together hard, so it sound like he hit her.

"No please," she begged trying to sound like she was crying.

"Shut up!"

She started screaming under her own hand to muffled it. He smacked his hands together a few more times. Then they got quite a minute.

"Oh dear god Jess! I am sorry! God all the blood! What did I do?"

Jessica had her head in a pillow laughing. Both were sitting on the couch laughing when Richard kicked the door in gun in hand.

"What... What the fuck," he screamed seeing Jessica sitting there laughing?

Caleb stood, "if you Detective ever come to my house again your ex-wives will be splitting your pension."

"You can't threaten me I'm a..."

"Detective you haven't been paying attention lately."

Richard looked at Jessica for help, "Part... Jess..."

"Don't look at me Richard," Jessica snapped at him, "you were told to leave him alone."

"But we were told too...

She stood up, "I'm pretty sure me fucking him is not going to upset the Chief. Hell he will probably see it as me smoothing over the fuck up you started when we brought him in. You knew I was with him all day! You used me as cover to plant the bugs. You used your own partner!"

"Uh-oh," Caleb said. "I think I will set this one out, sounds like you have bigger issues than my size thirteen up your ass."

"Jess... I..."

"You are lucky Richard. Do you know what would have happened if he had just called Kassandra about this? Do you? It could have cost both of us our jobs."

"Here you go," Caleb said handing Richard the bugs.

"How did you know?"

"That does not matter," Jessica said. "You were stupid enough to even use your own name to have his alarm shut off and on. We are done Richard; I will keep this secret, but we are no longer partners if I have to turn my gun and badge in, we are done."

"Please Jess..."

"Richard."

"I swear I'm sorry Jess. Mr. Sparks I will leave you alone."

She already told you, "I'm done with my part of tonight."

"I know... I just do not want to lose my partner. Jess the only reason I can still get up and come to work every day is you are my partner."

"You used me Richard."

"I know it makes no difference now, but I only planted the bugs because I saw you with him. I was scared for you. You're..."

"I'm what Richard?"

"You're like a daughter to me. I know I'm a jerk. I... I just don't know how to show you I care without making it all weird and you would have misunderstood it."

Caleb leaned into her ear; "He's telling the truth, I can tell."

Jessica looked at Caleb the Richard. "Ok Rich, please just go home and leave Caleb alone. I like him a lot, I'm a big girl and I promise if he does anything, I don't like you will be the first to know."

"Thanks Part."

"Now get out of here and get some rest before I kick your ass myself."

Richard almost laughed, "Ok Part."

"See you Monday Rich," Jessica hugged his neck.

"I'm sorry about the door I will call..."

"What's a door, it seems it got you both to open up a bit, I will take care of it," Caleb said.

Richard departed; Jessica stood looking at Caleb.

"What?"

She pulled his head to hers, "you that's what. You are full of surprises Mr. Sparks." She was about to kiss him then giggled.

"What baby?"

She was burning red in the face, "I'm embarrassed."

He picked her up kicking the door closed and sat on the couch with her in his lap, "Tell me baby."

She snuggled into his neck mumbling.

"What was that?"

Moving her mouth off his neck she whispered, "Jessica Sparks... it has a ring to it."

Caleb laughed, "it does."

"Jess."

"Yeah baby?"

"Will you stay the night?"

"Yes."

"No listen, just stay the night and just sleep with me? Nothing else."

"Um ok."

"It's silly I suppose but I'm falling like a ton of bricks and I want to..."

"Take it a little slower," she smiled.

"It that ok?"

"It's wonderful baby. Long as we can still kiss." She wiggled on him, "you sure are gonna have some blue balls though I sleep naked."

He laughed; "I do to."

"Oh god I'm gonna have blue lips."

He died laughing.

"What? I affects us girls too. How long we can be good I'm not sure."

"I'm just asking for a week maybe two Jess. I want to prove I don't just want in your pants."

"Baby," she said her nose against his here brown eyes locked to his, "there is nothing that makes me think you just want in my pants. You may be the most private man in the world, you have opened part of you to me I do not think many may know. That means more to me than anything in this world that you trust me with what you can."

"Jess... someday, maybe soon, I will be able to tell me more. There are some things that must happen first. One of them you already are worried about."

"Oh? Oh you mean meeting... Her?"

He laughed, "Say it one time."

"The President," Jessica whispered.

"Better get used to it," he said.

"I suppose," Jessica with a teasing smile, "I'm sure we will invite her to the wedding," she laughed.

Caleb looked at her with a smiled.

"Yes, I was serious," she said.

"I know... in fact she'd be heartbroken if we didn't invite her and the family."

"Wow!!"

"Would you be opposed to if someday you do wish to be Ms. Sparks, that Kassandra is my best... Well best woman."

"I'd be upset if she isn't."

"Well I better fix this door," he said and went to the garage coming back with some long wood screws and a drill screwing it shut. "I will call a repair man in the morning."

They fell asleep in Caleb's bed. They both agreed it would be best is she slept in one of his shirts and he decided a shirt and shorts. He knew the scars was going to cause even more questions. Not many men have scars from a werewolf among other things.

Jessica was on his chest and him holding her tight.

"Night mom, I love you. Tell Lupe I love her too," he whispered thinking Jessica was asleep and she almost was. She smiled as a small tear came into her eye. She fell asleep not moving, not wanting him to know she heard him.

"I told you mom they make a cute couple."

"They do Lupe."

Miss Ramos kissed her son on the head. "Almost done my love," she said then kissed Jessica on the head brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes. Jessica shifted slightly in her sleep and smiled. "Sleep well babies, your work is almost done."

"Momma this one is hunting Caleb isn't it."

"I'm afraid so, this time it's different and this one is powerful."

"It's not a monster either is it momma?"

"No it is an old one, it has been down here a long, long time."

"He will be ok though right mom?"

Maria hugged Lupe; "he will. He will have served my sentence, then another will have to take his place. He will be protected, and they will never be able to find him again."

"Will Jessica be protected?"

"She will my love and Peter told me that you will indeed be a Tia soon."

"Oh momma!!"

"Peter even knows her name."

"What momma?"

Maria looked into her daughters eyes, "Lupe Sparks."

"Oh momma!! Yay!!"

The angelic specters disappeared from Caleb's room once again back to Heaven.

Maria knelt in heaven praying harder than she ever had. A voice she knew well spoke to her as heavens mightiest warrior descended on broad wings. "Maria, what troubles your heart in paradise?"

"I worry about this one, it's an old one isn't it?"

"Yes Maria, she is a Nephilim, but our son is up to the task Maria."

Maria looked up in Gabriel's eyes of fire confused, "Our son?"

Gabriel's eyes swirled colors stopping at the blue sky she had come to know. "Maria, as you know there was once a war in which many were cast out."

Maria nodded.

"For my part in casting out the rebellion I was asked what I most would desire. My answer, a son. We cannot have children. I was allowed to peer into the well of souls and select one soul that could be called my son."

"Thousands of years before Caleb was born, my finger touched his soul in the well, giving him the abilities he has now. He has had to suffer much to keep your promise and prove his worth to be a son of heaven. Had he not suffered, and you taught him as you did, I would have lost the reward I was given. I stand proudly before heavens' warriors that my son... Our son catches the attention of many eyes here."

"Will he be ok Gabriel?"

"I give you my word, Caleb...," Gabriel smiled an angelic smile, "I adore that you named him after Caleb, the one who would have warred and saved them being lost in the wilderness had they listened. I give you my word, someday our son will be reunited with you and that time is not near. You will have many grandchildren and great grandchildren in heaven someday."

Joyous tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Would you care to see that chariots today, Lupe is there?"

Maria nodded. Gabriel pulled up Maria into his arms and with a beat of his mighty wings they flew down and toward the chariots as they rumbled across the heavens, sparks flying from the hooves of the heavenly steeds. Maria looked down as the sparks snaked toward the Earth, today there would be rain and lighting over most of Australia as the warriors of heaven traveled the sky in their chariots and on horseback preparing for the war that would end all wars. Her son, no, 'their' son would ride with them when that time came.