Future History

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Standing beside the bed, John looked down at Michelle. Susan reached over, touching his arm.

"I'll be right outside," she said softly.

Nodding John continued to look at Michelle who refused to look at him.

"I know," John whispered.

Michelle's eyes lock on his filled with rage.

"How could you?" she shouted.

"Who was she? Your daughter?" John asked softly.

"Yes, and you?" she replied tears in her eyes.

"Granddaughters," he croaked, tears welling up in his eyes.

"Two?"

"Yes," John gasped his voice almost caught in his throat.

Reaching up she pulled him down hugging him fiercely, John just sobbed into her hair.

"I'm so sorry," she sobbed against John's shoulder.

"Me too," John said standing up and wiping the tears from his eyes.

"That's why you did it?" she asked.

"Of course," John replied.

"How long ago did you lose... "

"Four years. You?"

"Last year."

"Michelle... "

"Yes."

"Come back, don't let the grief take you over or you will never be the same. Let it turn. Turn to hate. Eventually, this will end one way or another and we will be able to free ourselves of our grief. Until that time, others need us, but you have to want to be there for them."

"I do want to be there for them. I have always wanted to be there... for her, for others... " Tears streamed down her cheeks as she tries to talk.

"You are not alone dear... " John said choking.

"I am alone, my daughter, my husband, my parents, all... "

"I know, I know," John said leaning down and hugging her. Her arms wrap around him.

"Help me John, god help me," she cried, her body racked with sobs.

"I will, I promise," John said. "You need rest right now. When you get out of here, I'll help you. Susan will help you."

"Thank you," she sighed as John hugged her.

"Now you rest, I have plans to make."

"I will," she said softly.

Smiling down at her John nodded, turning, he stepped out the door and almost ran into Susan.

"That was nice... what you told her was what she needed to hear... "

Waving her to silence John said, "It was all true." Turning he walked away.

"What? Wait," she yelled running to catch up.

Chapter 10

Sitting in the mess hall sipping a coffee, Susan stares at John as he talks.

"Four years ago we lived in Texas, probably the only free state on the continent. Then on December 7th, kind of ironic, the Chinese attacked. By the time my wife and I get to our son's place, it was a shambles. He and his wife are dead in the rubble. The children are in an undamaged part of the house and are safe.

"They have survived, alone for two days. We took them with us. I joined the Texas militia. We fought for a year, on the run mostly. We finally decided to go to Kentucky. When we got here, it was a mess for a year. That's when Ed took over and we got organized, a year after that we were moving our camp when we were ambushed by the Chi-Coms."

"Is that when they were killed?" Susan asks softly.

John looked at her with tears in his eyes, his voice caught in his throat.

"No, they were captured. I tried to get them back, but I was too late. When I found them, I went nuts. For the next six months, I killed every Chi-Com I could, in the most gruesome way I could think of."

Susan took his hand in hers and squeezed it, for a long time they just sat there neither of them saying a word.

"What about your wife?" asked Susan.

John had been dreading that question but knew it was coming.

"While I was out killing Chinese, she was killed when a squad of them stumbled into one of the camps. She died quickly, which I was thankful for. Several of the other women they captured and raped to death. I once again went out on a killing spree after finding out about her."

"I'm so sorry, John," said Susan softly.

"How about you?" John finally asked.

"My husband is still in Illinois with our two daughters."

"What are you doing here?" John asked incredulously.

"Michelle, I had to get her away from up there," she said her voice catching in her throat.

"You're a good friend," John said. "We should really get your family down here as soon as we can."

"That would be nice. It might be therapeutic for Michelle to see my kids. Plus, it might be safer for them down here. Plus, we could let the Illinois militia know about the bases there. When do we leave?" she asks her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm.

"Miss them?" John asked teasing her.

"God yes," she hisses.

~ ~ ~ ~

It took them two weeks to make contact with the militia in Illinois. It took another week to get to the group Susan's family is part of. When Susan steps into the firelight, two pre-teen girls come running out of the dark whispering 'mommy'. A rugged-looking man, who wraps his arms around her as the two girls hug her legs, quickly follows them.

"God it's good to see you," Susan cried, tears rolling down her cheeks.

For the next ten minutes, she holds her husband and her children in her arms. Once the family has calmed down, others step in to say hello. Finally, Susan takes her husband's hand and brings him to meet John.

"Mark, I want you to meet Major John Johnson from the Kentucky Free Militia, John, my husband, Captain Mark Bajek of the Southern Illinois Free Militia."

Mark snaps to attention and salutes John. He returns the salute, then sticks out his hand. Mark takes it smiling.

"Glad to meet you, Mark, you have one hell of a woman," John told him.

"Thanks, John and it's a pleasure to meet you too," he said. "Has she given you any problems?"

"No, not Susan," John quipped.

"Michelle. Where's Michelle sweetheart?" Mark asked looking around.

"She's safe, but still needs my help... "

"So you're not back here to stay?"

"No dear. I'm here to collect you and the girls. We have a very nice, safe, place for them in Kentucky... "

"There is... "

"Not now John," Susan hissed.

"I guess, I'll go pack then," Mark said looking from his wife to John. John just shrugged.

"You do that and take the girls," she told him.

"Girls, come with daddy. The Colonel is in his tent over that way," Mark told Susan pointing the way.

"Thank you, dear," Susan said turning and walking toward the tent in the distance.

"You better go with her," Mark hissed at me.

"See you later," John said, hurrying after Susan.

He caught up with her at the tent. As she reached for the flap, he grab her arm. Looking at him, she frowns.

"Captain."

"Major."

"That's right."

John knocked on the tent post.

"Enter," a strong male voice called out.

Stepping into the tent, John finds himself in front of a table behind which sat a mountain of a man.

"Sir, Major John Johnson requests to speak to the Colonel."

"What unit Major?" he asks gruffly.

"Western Kentucky Free Militia, sir."

"Is that piker Edward Mack, still in command?"

"I don't know about him being a piker, but we like to let him think he's in command."

"Well then welcome. Captain Bajek," the Colonel yelled.

"Yes sir," Susan said stepping into the tent and saluting.

Returning the salute, the Colonel looks Susan over.

"I take it you're not rejoining us?"

"I'm sorry to say, no sir. Michelle and I... I mean Captain Wilfinger and I will be staying with the Kentucky Militia a while longer sir."

"I'm truly sorry to hear that Captain."

"I'll miss you too, sir."

"Stand at ease," the Colonel said to us.

Relaxing John asked the Colonel, "Might the Major know the Colonel's name?"

"Of course... Susan."

"John, say hello to my father, Colonel Thomas Teller, Southern Illinois Free Militia. Dad this is John."

"Very pleased to meet you, sir," John said.

"Sit down, both of you before I end up with a crick in my neck."

"Dad," Susan said sitting.

"Where is Michelle? I hope she is all right?" Colonel Bajek asked his daughter.

"She is, but she had another psychotic break."

"That's too bad. What's the prognosis?"

"She will be fine. We have a very fine shrink with our outfit," John said.

"You know this how?" Tom asked.

"Personal experience, sir," said John.

"Ah, I see. So what brings you two here, as if I didn't know."

"We have come for Mark and the girls, dad," Susan told him softly.

"I see, you know your mother will be devastated," said Tom.

"I know, but we must, to help Michelle."

"Sir," John started, taking the map of Illinois out of his pocket, "I have information which will, is vital to the cause." Smoothing the map on the table, John point at the blue dot in the southern half of the state.

"What's that?" Tom asks leaning forward.

"That is this," John said taking the printout of the exploded floor plan from his other pocket and spreading it on the table.

"Where, how... " Tom stuttered.

"It is an underground facility, filled with food, medicine, and weapons. It is somehow shielded from the Chi-Com's sensors and it is empty, waiting for you and your militia."

"What's the red dot up by Mokena?"

"Another facility, but red means it's incomplete."

"Too bad, they could use something like that up there," Tom said pointing at the floor plans.

"Rough?" John asked.

"That close to Chicago, yes extremely," Tom replied. "All right, get some chow and you can head out in the morning."

"No dad, we're leaving tonight... "

"I insist... "

"Colonel, I have a reinforced platoon waiting for us a klick south of here with orders to find us if we're not back in the next two hours."

"I see. Well, then go say goodbye to your mother and have a safe trip," Tom said tears welling up in his eyes.

John didn't even excuse himself; he just got up and left. Susan is in her dad's arms before John is outside. He stood waiting just outside the tent. Mark and the children appeared out of the darkness.

"Go ahead girls, go say goodbye to grandpa," he told them.

The two girls ran into the tent. We can hear them saying goodbye loudly. An older woman rushes by, slapping Mark as she passes, going into the tent.

"What was that for?" John asked.

"Later," Mark said.

Sobbing and crying came from within the tent. Suddenly, John was face to face with who he assumed was Susan's mother.

"You better take care of my girls or I will hunt you down... "

"I will ma'am. I promise," he told her.

"You just better," she sobs slapping John across the face. Tears in her eyes she steps back as the tent flap opens.

"Mother you didn't," Susan yelled looking at my cheek. "Come, girls, we have to go."

"Major," Tom called.

"Yes, sir."

"I'm going to have two squads accompany you to your rendezvous."

"Thank you, sir," John said saluting.

Chapter 11

Ten minutes later, they were walking through the dark woods. The girls were well disciplined for a ten and eleven-year-old. They made it to the rendezvous with minutes to spare. Burdens transferred to the men waiting for John, and they were quickly on our way.

At about four in the morning, a halt was called, as the children were exhausted. They took shelter in an abandoned house along the Ohio River.

They were on our way again around ten in the morning. Two of John's biggest men elect to carry the girls so they all could move quickly. Makeshift slings were fashioned to keep the soldier's hands free. Their packs shifted to others in the platoon.

~ ~ ~ ~

Two weeks later the children were playing with the other children, who they took into the complex for their protection. Mark was assigned to the command section and he, along with his wife and kids were assigned a suite in a new section of the base. John stood outside of Michelle's quarters waiting for her to open the door when Susan shows up.

"What's she doing?" Susan asked.

"I don't know. She said 'just a minute' but that was five minutes ago."

"Michelle," Susan called knocking on the door, "open up dear."

"No, go away. Where's John?" her muffled voice came through the door.

"I'm here," John said.

"Good. Send Susan away, please. I'll talk to you later Susan, I promise."

"Okay dear, until later."

John shrugged as Susan turns to leave, Michelle's door opened. She reached out, grabbed John's sleeve pulled him into her room, slamming the door. Her arms wrapped around John's neck, her lips pressing against his. John is surprised and flattered. Putting his arms around her, he kisses her back. Suddenly, they were two souls sharing their pain. John didn't know how long they kissed, but he did enjoy it.

"Whew," Michelle said looking up into my eyes.

"You said it," he replied still holding her in my arms.

"Now what?" she asked shyly.

"I don't know, what do you want to happen?"

"I was hoping you would take me to bed."

"Really?"

"Yes, it's been far too long since... I need someone to love me."

John pressed his lips to hers.

~ ~ ~ ~

John was sitting at the terminal on the platform above the vehicle bay. The bay was buzzing with activity. He was reading Jake's notes on the building and stocking of the base. He also stumbled on a series of tactical and some strategic plans. All of them, he sent to Ed. Yes, John had learned how to use the system.

Rubbing his eyes, he watches some of the more mechanically inclined personnel work on a tank. Shaking his head, he left the platform heading for Michelle's quarters. It has been three months since her breakdown and Kelly has approved her return to duty. Susan and John have missed her on the patrols they have gone on without her.

Michelle is a different person now. More upbeat and happy as is John. He has had to tell Kelly that Michelle and he have been together. Kelly approves of the relationship. She not only thinks it will be a good thing for Michelle, but she also thinks it will do him a world of good.

Susan and Michelle were both ready to go when John arrived. Grabbing his long rifle and slinging it over his back, he too was ready.

"Today we are on a search and destroy mission."

"Good," said Michelle calmly.

"Today, we also will see how you, Captain, handle a long rifle."

"Really?" asked Michelle wide-eyed.

"Yes really," John told her.

~ ~ ~ ~

The three of them lay side by side atop the ridge overlooking a Chi-Com base. The ridge is two klicks from the center of the base and a half a klick from patrol activity.

"Now hold three mils high and squeeze the trigger," John whispered.

The quiet chuff of the rifle, as she squeezed off a round, wouldn't be heard past twenty feet. Watching through his spotter scope, John sees the bullet impact the soldier square in the chest. He slowly sinks to his knees.

"Nice shot," John said.

"Next target?" asked Michelle quietly.

"That's enough, it's time to go," he told her.

"Okay, okay," Michelle said packing up.

~ ~ ~ ~

Three days later Michelle, Susan, and John were laying, hidden among the brush on another hill overlooking the Chi-Com base.

"Pick a target, line up your sight and squeeze the trigger, slowly," John said to Susan.

Taking a breath, she lets out half and squeezes the trigger. Fifteen hundred meters downrange a Chi-Com soldier falls.

"Let's go," John said softly and calmly.

Nodding, Susan slips the rifle into its pouch and they all backed slowly over the top of the hill.

Chapter 12

Three days later, on their way back to base, they chance upon two squads of Chi-Coms bedding down for the night.

"I say we go in there and kill them all," Michelle whispered.

"There are twenty of them and only three of us. I say we pass on this one," John said.

"I say we pass too," Susan said, "but I think we should chuck a couple of nades into their camp before we leave."

Chuckling, John just nodded. So, that's what they did. One grenade each, then they hustled it out of there. Running through the forest, bullets flying in every direction, the three of them sprinted away from the commotion. One hundred meters from the patrol, they stopped taking a knee to catch their breath. Watching the forest behind them, they all pant. Turning, John looked over at Michelle, she gives him the thumbs-up sign. Looking at Susan, John sees she is pale. Rushing to her side, she looks at him.

"It was a stupid idea," she said, "I'm so sorry."

Her eyes close and she slumps against John.

"Michelle," John hissed at her.

She rushes to her friend as John holds her.

"Oh god," Michelle whispered pulling Susan's coat open, "crap, crap, crap."

Holding Susan, John watches Michelle tend to her friend.

"Lay her down so I can work on her," Michelle told me.

John gently lowered Susan to the ground. He takes up a position watching the forest for unfriendly soldiers. He splits his attention between the forest and Susan. Michelle works feverishly for twenty minutes on her friend. Then sitting back on her heels she whispered, "I have done all I can."

"Can we move her?"

"It probably wouldn't be a good idea."

"Great. Do you know your way back?" John asked.

"What? Yes, of course."

"Then go, get help, I'll stay here with her."

"What good is that... "

"Just go. Talk to Mark, three squads should do it. Now go," John croaked at her.

Looking a little bewildered, Michelle creeps into the forest and disappears. Kneeling next to Susan, John watched the forest around them. All is quiet. Grabbing Susan's jacket collar, he slowly and carefully drags her into some bushes close by. Once he has her hidden, he checks her wounds; they remained closed and not bleeding. Sitting beside her John watched her, hoping for Michelle's sake she will survive. Leaning down he puts his lips next to her ear.

"You better be a fighter dear, Susan, you have so much to live for. A husband, who loves you dearly, two beautiful children, and a friend who needs you, plus a comrade who has grown to respect you," he whispered.

Sitting up John continues to watch her. Leaning his head down on his knees and closing his eyes, he thinks back to a long time ago.

"That was nice," Susan whispers hoarsely.

John's eyes were wide with surprise. She is looking at him, pain in her eyes.

"You're in pain," he said grabbing her pack.

"Yes, but I can't have anymore," she croaks.

"Can you have water?" he asked.

"No, I'm gut shot... "

"Okay, enough talk, you just rest, help is on the way."

"Only if Michelle can find her way back here," Susan chuckles.

"She will," he said.

"Indeed."

Chapter 13

Eight hours later, awakened by a distant noise, John peered through the darkness, watching and waiting.

"Major." It was Mark's voice. John started to get up. "Stay, we'll come to you, sir."

Slumping back, John looks down at Susan. She is smiling.

The trek back to base is easy. Ed gave Mark a reinforced platoon to come get Susan. She is on a stretcher and they hustled her back to base in quick time. Three hours later Michelle and two other doctors were operating on her.

~ ~ ~ ~

Lying in his bunk, John waits for news of Susan. She has been in surgery for three hours now. His door opening wakes him. He had been dozing off and on. It is Michelle and she looks beat.

"Is she going to be okay?" John asked as she sits on the bed.

"Yes, she'll be fine, but her recovery will be very hard and take a long time."

"Lay down," he said pulling her down next to him.

She snuggles up to John and goes to sleep.

~ ~ ~ ~

It's been a while. Michelle and John have only been out in the field three times. The rest of the time Michelle has been on base taking care of wounded warriors and civilian patients. She is also busy getting her friend well and watching her friend's children.

John has been helping Ed organize this base of theirs. There is now a division of fighting men and women, along with a large civilian population in the base. Their patrols have grown, increased in not only size but also frequency, while the Chi-Com withdraws from the south.