Gaia's Champion Ch. 26

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

******************************

Captain William Gallagher, Billy to his friends, sighed as he walked into the precinct where he worked. It had been a long few weeks since they had caught and processed the Gerkie men. While it had been a massive media firestorm, there was still a lot to deal with when prosecuting these men. Gallagher shook his head at the term, believing they no longer deserved to be called 'men'.

The captain twisted his mouth at the sick and sadistic things these two had done to all those women. While he had known none of the women personally, others in the precinct did. This hit many of them hard, and they were all more than eager to see those scumbags sent to the deepest hole imaginable. He honestly hoped that the system would not fail them this time, and that these two sick fucks got what was coming to them.

Chief Esperanza was adamant that everyone be at their absolute best. He wanted everything to follow protocol, with zero screwups, or he'd have the offending officer's head on a silver platter. Given that one girl attacked by those sickos was his own niece, Billy couldn't blame the man. He'd be the same way, if it had been his wife, or either of his daughters, that were attacked by those bastards.

"I see this life is treating you well, Billy. You're looking pretty good these days," an older voice told him as he walked into his office.

"Excuse me, but who the fuck are you and why are you in my office?" Billy questioned the older man sitting in his chair.

"Fide, honoris, obsequiem," the man recited, jarring the captain's memory right out of the gate.

"Quam potest ego serviturus sum?(How may I serve?)" the captain replied in Latin as he closed the door, giving the men their privacy.

"I see you haven't forgotten protocol. It's good to see that you haven't neglected your duties," Donald told the man.

"Am I being activated?" the captain asked, both excited and fearful of what that meant.

"No, you are not. I am on a mission and am in need of some more updated information on a target I'm chasing," the older man stated.

"Who is it you are looking for?" Billy questioned.

"A younger man named Jason Bjornsson. He's done some things that have invoked the ire of the Sons and needs to be punished for his transgressions," Donald stated.

"Jason Bjornsson? That name sounds familiar... wait a moment... he was a man whom we took a statement from, right after we arrested a couple of sick individuals. I have a written statement from the man and his address," the captain offered.

"I already have that piece of information, but he's almost never at his place of residence. Is there anything you can give me on the man and what he's been doing lately?" Donald asked.

"I can do some digging, but that will take time, as you well know, Legatus," Billy replied.

"Hmm. I'm looking for something a bit more immediate. Have there been any odd cases that have been popping up lately?" Donald questioned.

"Since you bring it up, there is something that does bear investigation, but thus far, we have come up with nothing," the captain told him. The officer then gave the Legatus the details of the case, along with their findings, which horrified Donald to no end.

"These people were just... drained? Like they were cartons of milk?" Donald questioned, the very idea of it making him sick to his stomach.

"It appears to be more than that. From what we gathered concerning the bodies, it looks like the victims were drained to the point where it seemed they were never even alive. Like every spark of who and what they were was just... gone," Billy reiterated.

"Now I must make it my priority to find this... killer that is... draining these people. I think my quarry might well be the same killer you are chasing," Donald stated. He'd heard of the legends of the Druids and Shaman that the Praetorians had fought in ages past.

"You are certain of this?" the captain queried.

"Considering a chapter of the Sons and a team of our finest were butchered by these... abominations, I'd say it's a safe bet," Donald grumbled.

"Will you require any men to aid you?"

"I have already assembled a team to help me in this endeavor. What I will need is anything you have that can point me in the direction of this killer," Donald told him.

"That, I can certainly help with. You should find Meera Sadeghi and Konstantin Thermopolous, as they are the detectives I have assigned to the case. They said they were following up a new lead, but I can give you their location right now, if you wish," the captain told his general.

"That would be most appreciated!" the older man smiled.

While Captain Gallagher did a search of the vehicle that the detectives were using, Donald took a beat to think. His mind was telling him it was Jason committing these murders, his gut was saying otherwise. It had been a rare thing when his feelings and senses didn't agree with his mind, as they usually were in sync. But now, something felt... off, and Donald couldn't explain it.

He thought back to the legends he'd heard about people wielding power beyond what they could comprehend. While he'd never personally encountered anyone who possessed power like Jason's, it had to be him. Men outside the Sons could not be trusted to wield such power, as power would always corrupt. That was the reason why he and his order existed, to end men like that, before they became a threat.

Focusing himself, Donald banished the sick feeling that saturated his being and focused on his objective. He was to end this young upstart, and anyone who aided him in the destruction of the Sons, no matter the cost. Though it was what he'd been trained to do and had done many times over, something still bothered him. What it was, he would soon find out, of that he was sure.

******************************

Meera was just finishing up her lasagna, while Konstantin munched on a steak dinner. She hadn't really heard of this place before, but Charmaine's Diner was far more than she thought it would be. They not only boasted diner fare, but additional meals that should have made them a full restaurant. The woman was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food she was getting, as it reminded her of a five-star restaurant.

She'd never known this place existed until Konstantin told her about it. He told her it was one of those places that people kept quiet about, as it wasn't a place that others liked to see swamped all the damn time. Meera couldn't agree more, as she finished up her lasagna and thought seriously about bringing her daughter here.

While the food was fantastic, the detective's mind was in turmoil, as she was still wrestling with her feelings over what happened that morning. The sex was out of this world and it had given her back a level of bliss that she'd been missing dreadfully. But with it came a whole host of emotions she wasn't sure she was ready for. She sighed fitfully as she finished her iced tea.

"Hey, you OK?" Konstantin asked.

"Yeah, it's just..." Meera started, trying to find the words.

"You'd like dinner before the sex?" Konstantin joked. That brought a smirk to Meera's face, and she giggled quietly.

"Well, there is that. But it's... just more than a little... much," Meera stated.

"What do you mean?" Konstantin asked, looking concerned.

"It's... been a while since I've done anything like this. The last person I did anything like what we just did... was Zafira's father," Meera stated.

"You never mentioned him before," Thermopolous stated.

"That's because it was my business to deal with. I didn't want to burden anyone with my problems," Meera told him.

"That's what friends and... people like me are for," Konstantin told her softly as he took her hand in his.

"Just like that?" Meera asked, shocked at his boldness. While she wasn't sure of what Konstantin was saying, she didn't pull her hand away. It felt... nice that someone actually cared enough about her and her problems.

"Just like that. You can tell me anything... Meera and I won't shrink back or abandon you. We all have demons to fight and it's not weakness, to ask for help in fighting them," the man said as he squeezed her hand gently.

"Thank you! I really do appreciate the gesture! After what happened with... Jad," she replied, forcing herself to say the name, "I have found it... difficult to trust anyone. On top of the fact that I'm here on my own, without my family knowing where I am."

"Why is that?" Konstantin asked.

"Because they all sided with him when shit hit the fan, and no one believed me when I told them he was hurting me. Not just physically, but... mentally and... sexually. The man is a complete sadist, getting off on my pain and the pain he caused others. Of course, he couldn't have his public image tarnished, so he kept it quiet, so nobody knew what he truly was," Meera told Konstantin.

"Sounds like a real piece of work who needs his clock cleaned, but after I rip his dick off and feed it to him!" Thermopolous growled. The man was appalled that anyone would hurt such a beautiful woman like that.

"There's no need to be vulgar! But... I will admit that your ideas on punishment are... fitting," Meera replied with a sly smile.

"Damn straight! If anything happens where this bastard finds you or your family does, you let me know! I'm not going to have him hurt my woman!" Konstantin told her.

"Your woman?" she asked, torn between indignation and flattery.

"Yes! You're my woman, just like I'm your man. If you're OK with the idea?" Konstantin posed. It was a bit much to take in so quickly, but Meera nodded, both terrified and excited at what it meant.

"What about your reputation? I know you're a bit of a playboy, according to the talk from the other guys," Meera replied.

"That was just a little something I was doing to... get your attention," Konstantin told her.

"My attention?"

"I've... been wanting you for years, ever since you came in, reporting for duty on your first day as a beat cop. Even though the uniform wasn't very flattering, I thought you were gorgeous! Hell, I thought you were way out of my league, which is why I was so terrified of even talking to you!" Konstantin admitted.

"So, you being a playboy like you were, was just to make sure I... noticed you??" she asked, shocked out of her mind.

"Basically, yeah. Sure, I had some fun with the many... dalliances, but none of them could compare to you. You... do something to me that... makes me want you even more than anyone else. I can't explain it, but it's almost like..." he said out loud, struggling for the right word.

"Fate?"

"Yeah! Exactly that!! Like... it's fate that we would be as we are right now," Konstantin told her.

Meera was most thoroughly stumped upon hearing this and could feel her eyes tearing up. She initially thought that Konstantin was blowing smoke. But she'd been around long enough and gone through the necessary training to spot when people were lying. Everything in her mind, body and training was telling her he was being truthful, and she just melted right there.

"Stop that!" she meeped as she dabbed her eyes with a hanky.

"Stop what?" Konstantin asked.

"Being so... sweet!" Meera sniffled happily.

"Hey, I'm a Greek man and my mother raised me to be this way. So, if you want to blame someone for that, blame my mom," Konstantin joked.

"You ass!" she giggled and sniffled at the same time. "But seriously, where do you see us going from here?"

"Well, the answer to that is a lengthy one, so..." the man started before he got a call on his cell phone.

"Hold up. Damn! It's the precinct. One sec," he said to her as he answered his phone. Konstantin listened to what the operator on the other end was telling him, and a smile bloomed on his face. "All right, yeah. Thanks for that!"

"What is it?" Meera asked as he hung up and got to his feet.

"One of our air units just spotted the van that was described by Randy, and it's not far from here! We need to get going!" he told her. Hearing those words had Meera jump to her feet and shrug into her coat in less than two seconds. She stared down at the finished meals in front of them and reached for her wallet, before Konstantin stopped her.

"Don't you dare! I got this!" he told her seriously.

"A man who is old fashioned. I like it!" Meera replied with a sweet smile.

"Just wait until we start dating. That is, if you want to?" Konstantin asked. The look on his face told him he already knew the answer, but he asked anyway.

"I do, very much! But let's talk about it, after we solve this case. OK?" she asked as Konstantin settled the bill. Once he was done, the man turned to her and kissed her soundly. Meera shivered for a moment before she kissed him back, enjoying the moment.

"OK," Konstantin told her as he broke the kiss.

******************************

Outside the diner, in a plain, nondescript car, Donald Mannheim and his team watched the detectives leave and get in their car. They were clearly excited about something, as they didn't even give the immediate area a once over. Once in the car, they sped off, obviously in a hurry to get where they were headed to. Carefully, Donald put the car in gear and followed them as closely as he dared.

******************************

The wraith/child sat in the backseat of a car as the couple, who were its caretakers, were driving them somewhere. It could sense a great deal of excitement coming from the couple, and if it was being honest, the wraith/child was excited as well. The couple had told it they were going to meet with the high priest of their order, so it could find a way to aid in its purpose.

It had taken far longer than the wraith/child had wanted, but it was finally happening. When it asked them why it had taken so long, they simply replied with, 'It wouldn't do to be seen before the high priest as weak as you are. You must become strong, so the high priest will have no choice but to aid you.' It made a certain level of sense, as if one didn't fear you and the things you could do, then you had no position from which to bargain.

It had done as the couple had bidden and drained the souls of many people in its hunt. While many of the souls were of poor quality, they did well enough to give it the power it needed. Now, the wraith/child was easily as strong as ten men, not to mention how much faster and more agile it was. In this form, it believed that it could finally confront the Gaians on its own terms!

While the wraith/child was eager to go toe to toe with these hated meddlers, it still had to bring help for the Dark Nymph, per their bargain. These 'Acolytes of the Dark' as they called themselves, were more than eager to help it with doing this. According to the couple, Gaians were among the most hated of their enemies and were eager to strike back at them.

As it stared out the window of the backseat, the wraith/child noted how the surrounding area had changed. It became neater, cleaner, more elaborate as they moved along past the houses. Houses weren't an appropriate term for these monstrous... palaces that adorned the land they sped by. The wraith/child could only gape in awe at the massive domiciles created by the hands of man.

The vehicle it was riding in slowed down and began to turn into one of these homes. It was a lavish place, from what it could see and the even the gate which opened for them, was gilded with golden figures. The car stopped right in front of the doors, which too were decorated with a sense of opulence. The wraith/child unbuckled its seatbelt and moved to the door of the car to let itself out, as it scurried over the car seat next to it.

It took a deep breath of the life that had inhabited the seat before they headed to this place, as it was a very sweet smelling one. The child this couple had sired was not with them, as he had been dropped off with the woman's sister. The wraith/child was saddened by this, as it would have dearly loved to drain the child. The boy was an innocent and not only did innocents taste the sweetest, but they also held the most power.

The wraith/child had once before tried to go after the boy, only to be foiled by its caretakers. They had told it, in no uncertain terms, that anyone else was fine, but if it went after their son, they would cease helping it. Being as weak as it was, the wraith/child had agreed and kept its distance from the boy. It mattered little now, as its power was almost fully restored and soon, it could take what it wanted, agreement or no.

The door opened via another human who had stepped out to meet the car, letting the wraith/child out. As the creature dismounted the vehicle, the human in question bowed to it and mumbled something incomprehensible. It smiled, glad to see that it was finally being shown the respect it deserved. It then heard a voice call to it and the wraith/child saw the couple beckoning to it, so it hurried to where they stood.

"Welcome, acolytes! I see you have brought the wraith/child with you, as you said you would. The High Priest will be most pleased with this! If you three would follow me, please," said a well-dressed man as he led the way through the now open doors to the home.

The wraith/child took the hands of the couple and they walked in, looking like the picture perfect family. Once inside, the creature took stock of its surroundings, which were lavish and well maintained. At first glance, this home was the residence of normal humans, but the wraith/child sensed there was more to this place. It could sense the Darkness that permeated its very bones, infecting everything there.

"Ah, young acolytes, welcome! We have been preparing for your arrival!!" a jolly voice sounded by the opulent staircase in front of them.

In front of them stood a man who was obviously wealthy, going by how pricey his suit and additional attire were. While the wraith/child had spent little time in this world, it could tell that this man had the wealth to look as he did. He was handsome, clean shaven and looked like he'd fit in anywhere he went. The most interesting part about him was his presence and charisma, which he wielded to impressive effect.

All of this meant little to the wraith/child, as it could sense the one thing that was most important about him. It could feel the Darkness rolling off the man in waves, almost like he was the one generating the Darkness itself. The creature stared at the man, impressed that such a weak and squishy human could contain that much Darkness within him.

"You are the High Priest of the Dark?" the wraith/child questioned.

"A High Priest. I am not the Grand Priest, but my power over the Dark is... extensive," the man replied with a smile.

"I can... feel it! Like you are a well of Darkness!" the creature said in awe.

"I can also sense your power, young one. You have taken much in the manner of souls, have you not?" the High Priest asked, studying the creature.

"Weak willed souls throwing their lives away, all for a... high," the wraith/child spat disdainfully.

"Distasteful, to be sure. Though to be fair, enough such souls can be a benefit, can it not?" the man questioned.

"They can be. This couple, they say you can help me in striking back against enemies that we both hate," the creature told him.

"Which enemies might those be?" he questioned.

"Gaians."

"I thought we had them dealt with in this city," the High Priest told it with a measure of distaste in his voice.

"They have returned and they have powerful allies. Powerful enough to give even me pause," the wraith/child stated.

"Oh? Do tell! I would like to know who it is I am dealing with when it comes to such people," the High Priest of the Dark said.

With a gesture, he dismissed his flunkies and servants, letting them know he had this situation well in hand. The wraith/child joined him as they ambled through the house, with the creature telling him of the power they possessed. How its first actual fight with them almost cost it its existence, and how it needed to build up its power to fight back. The man was extremely interested in the Dark Heart, which occupied the corrupted grove in the forest.