Galveston

Story Info
I met war widow on bucket list tour of famous US song towns.
8.2k words
4.75
6.9k
19
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

[Authors note. This story has a long fuse. if you are on a short fuse, scroll to part 2. You're welcome.]

1

I was nodding off as the words on the menu flowed into one another.

"Honey, I'd give you more time, but you'd probably be asleep."

I tried to focus on the waitress, a homely lady in her late forties. "Sorry, it's the jet lag. It's always worse when you fly into yesterday."

"Are you from England, Sir?"

"How did you guess? And before you ask, I know everyone from Downton Abbey, but we don't speak since the bust up."

She laughed. "We're not all that silly. Well, not in Texas anyway. How about I get you some coffee while you re-join the land of the living?"

I nodded gratefully. I was in Galveston, my first stop on our bucket list tour of US towns made famous in songs. Phoenix, Tulsa and a bunch of others were also on the route we'd sketched out before Tina got sick. She's been gone two years now. I lose track of time. When my daughter told me I needed to take a break from the business I didn't take her seriously. When she handed me tickets for a return flight to Houston, I knew she wasn't joking.

"Me and Jack can handle the farm for a couple of weeks. Go. I know it was on that stupid bucket list Dad. You need to do it for you and mum. It's time to say goodbye."

Gillian was right. I didn't really grieve afterwards. I'd thrown myself into work to keep our struggling business afloat. Anyway, Tina never really left me. I'd see her everywhere around the house and farm and I'd talk to her. I guess after thirty years she was entitled to decide when she wanted to leave. The kids thought I was going mad, although they never said anything. Anyway, we're back in the black now and business is good. Gillian is sensible and the two locals who help us out know the ropes. So, I could forget about work for a while and enjoy this trip. Maybe that's what Tina was hanging around for. She was stuborn. She would not let death cheat her out of her holiday.

I talked to Tina on the long drive from George Bush International Airport. We argued about which Bush it was and realised we didn't care enough to find out. But we had heated words when we passed Pasadena, which I was certain was in Philadelphia. Well, it sounds like it should be.

This was a regular argument when we were on the road. It started a lifetime ago when I said Billericay should be in Ireland and not forty miles east of London. You see what I mean?

The waitress came back with coffee and I ordered my usual. All our previous visits to the States started with a meal at Denny's. Other restaurants just would not do. I looked around. My jacket and thick shirt were at odds with the casually dressed diners in shorts and tee shirts. If I'd paid more attention to Jimmy Webb's lyrics rather than their sentiments, I would have recognised Galveston was in fact Texas-on-Sea. I wondered how the residents would take to my renaming their town. Tina shook her head from the empty seat across the booth.

As I looked out of the window, an old minivan swung into the vacant space next to my car, missing it more by luck than judgement. I immediately formed a mental image of the driver, but I am pleased to say I was wrong. A woman slid out of the driver's door. I guess she was in her late thirties. She wore a dark sleeveless shift dress which suited her neat figure and slender arms. It was her hair I really noticed. A mass of wavy black hair that shook in the gentle breeze. She leaned into the vehicle to grab her bag and I made the most of the view of her shapely legs. Someone called out from behind her and she turned. She was breath-taking. A mix of Jackie Kennedy, a young Elizabeth Taylor and an actress from an American TV series about a cop and her pathologist friend. Tina said she never saw what I liked about that show.

My carnal thoughts disappeared when the woman slid open the side door and three kids got out. The sullen blond teenage boy was getting the end of a tongue lashing from his mother. He may have been listening, but his stance said something else. He loped off towards the entrance of the restaurant while his two sisters, about eight and four, scrambled out. The older one struggled to close the sliding door. The woman took their hands in hers and set off after her son. Both daughters were an image of their mother in miniature. I could sympathise with their father's anxiety when they were old enough to have boyfriends.              

The restaurant was almost full. My jet lag breakfast was an early evening meal for most of the elderly diners at other tables. The only spare booth was opposite the aisle from mine and while I would enjoy looking at the woman, the prospect of listening to their family argument was already making my temples ache. I glanced at her. She smiled and slid into the booth on my side with the youngest child. The older two took the seats opposite.

The woman apologised to her children. "I'm sorry we had to stay late at school. I have to tutor Mrs Elmore's boy this evening. I don't have time to cook so its an early dinner here."

The older daughter was sympathetic. "That's okay mom, I like eating here. So does Caroline." The younger girl nodded.

"This place sucks mom. It's full of old people," complained her son.

"Don't be so rude, Jake. And share the menu with Suzanna," the harassed mother pleaded.

The boy ignored her and turned away so his sister could not see the menu.

"Here you are young lady. You can have mine." I offered my menu across the aisle to stop a potential argument.

Suzanna, looked at her mother for approval before accepting, adding a late "Thank you mister," after her mother's telepathic stare put the words in her head.

Caroline, leaned shyly to her mother and said in a loud stage whisper, "That man talks funny, where is he from Mom?" The woman looked at her brood and her shoulders slumped. "Sir, I have to apologise for my children's rudeness. They seem to have lost their manners in front of strangers."

I leaned over and offered my hand. She seemed nonplussed, but then shook it. Her slim fingers were warm and soft. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Ted Westbury. There, we are not strangers anymore." I held her glance probably a moment too long, so she blushed when she replied.

"Hello Ted, I'm Cassie Miller and these feral kids are Jake, Suzanna and Caroline." The two girls smiled while the boy gave an indifferent nod.

"What does feral mean?" Caroline asked.

"It means wild, untamed, uncivilized. Is that what you are, Caroline?" I said.

She looked at her mother for a clue before answering no. Her brother was more certain. "I'm feral," Jake said proudly.

"Sorry to disappoint you Jake, but I think you're just a teenager. It's a mad time." Suzanna laughed at my comment and her brother gave her a mean stare.

I'd put Jake out. "Where you from anyway Mister?"

"Anyone care to guess?" I asked. I looked at Cassie, who was relieved I had made a game of his rudeness.

"Australia" said Jake.

"Canada" said Suzanna.

Cassie leaned in and whispered in her daughter's ear. "You are from England. Originally from London, but you've lived somewhere else for a long time," said Caroline.

"Wow, someone is a mind reader," I was genuinely shocked. "I would give you a prize, but I've been conned by a professional."

Cassie laughed. It was an easy, gentle sound. The kind you looked forward to hearing. "I'm a speech therapist. I like to work out accents."

I held up my hands in defeat. "Okay, you got me. Now let me guess. You children all sound the same to my ear, but your mum sounds different. I'll think I can get it in three. Read the menu please Cassie." Jake rolled his eyes, but the two girls urged their mum on with the game.

"Pancakes with smoked hickory bacon and maple..." she became self-conscious and broke into laughter, setting the two girls off. Jake looked grumpy, not wanting to share their good humour.

I rubbed my temples as if I could pull the answer out of the air. "Louisiana?" I ventured.

"Wrong" said Jake gleefully.

"I've still got two guesses left. Go on, Cassie." She read another item. "Is it Alabama?"

"Wrong again," Jake was now thoroughly invested in the game, sensing my imminent failure.

"My last guess. Go on, Cassie." She read another item. "Can you repeat that, please?"

"Quit stalling and guess Mister." Jake was eager for the foolishness to be over.

I drew out the drama like they make the compare do on those rubbish game shows. I looked each of them in turn and said, "Cassie you are from Georgia." It was more or less a guess. The two girls squealed, covering both their mother's gasp of surprise and Jake's mutter of 'motherfucker,' which I was the only one to hear.

"Give him a prize mom," said Caroline. I caught Cassie's glance; we both looked away embarrassed. Jake saw a spark of attraction and he didn't like.

"My dad was in the Army. He went to England. He went all over the world to fight people," Jake challenged.

"That's usually how it happens, unless you are being invaded." I was trying to diffuse the situation, but I guess it sounded flip.

"He was a Sargent in the US Marines. The toughest fighters in the world. You seen military service mister?" Jake's face was an angry, hurt snarl. I'd seen it many times before. On the faces of the relatives of those who had fallen in combat. I looked at Cassie. Her despair in trying to help her son come to terms with the loss of his father was clear.

I leaned across the aisle and spoke gently. "I was in the Parachute Regiment for twenty years, Jake. You call it Airborne over here. We tried to keep the peace in Ireland and Bosnia. We fought an enemy who ran away as quickly as possible in Iraq, and then we fought for our lives every day in Afghanistan. I was a Captain. I wrote letters to the families of my men who had fallen in battle. The only thing worse than that was meting them when we brought their loved ones' bodies home."

Jake was shaking. Anger and grief played out across his face. He looked at his mother. "I can't breathe mom; I have to get out of here." He tried to push past his sister to get out of the booth and ended up knocking her onto the floor.

I picked Suzanna up, and she went over to hug her mum and younger sister.

The waitress had arrived with my order. I apologied. "I'm sorry Cassie. I was too blunt. I should have sugar-coated it. He's so full of anger."

"Ted, should I go after him?" Cassie's eyes were glistening.

"I think it would embarrass him. He'll come back when he's composed himself."

"It's been four years since Kyle died. An IED blew up their Humvee. I thought the worst was over by now." Cassie sounded weary. The two girls hugged their mum. She smoothed their hair.

"There is no timetable for grief, Cassie. The girls were probably too young to remember much about their dad, so it falls to Jake to keep his memory alive. Plus, his head is probably full of survivor's guilt. Thinks he's the man of the house now and doesn't know what to do. Sadly, I've seen similar scenes back home. He needs help. You all do. I don't know what they do for veteran's families over here."

"Not enough. You made a joke about me being a mind reader, but you've got it exactly Ted. I've never put that pressure on Jake. He's only thirteen. It's Kyle's relatives. They are hurting too. Sometimes, I just want to run away from this town." We could all hear the despair in Cassie's voice.

"You'll take us with you, won't you mom?" Caroline looked worried.

Cassie smiled and stroked her hair to calm her daughter's fears. "Off course pumpkin. Don't be silly, I'll take you all."

Their food arrived, and moments later, so did Jake. I'd seen his reflection in the glass, so I knew he had not gone far. He looked remorseful. "Mom, I'm sorry I was rude."

"I think you owe Suzanna an apology, you hurt her." He kissed his sister. "And Ted, too. You asked him a grown-up question, and he gave you a grown-up answer." The boy glanced away embarrassed. I held out my hand. He shook it, apology accepted.

"No worries, as we Australians say." He recognised my joke and broke into a genuine grin.

Cassie smiled. "Now eat up kids. I'm sure Ted has had enough American soap opera for the day. By the way, are you a fan of Downton Abbey?"

Before answering, I looked across my booth at Tina, grinning.

They persuaded me to join them for dessert. They laughed when I called it afters. I said they had to come to England so I could make fun of all their wrong words. Cassie asked what I did after leaving the Army. I told her I ran a smallholding. I had to explain it was more than a sizeable vegetable garden, but less than a farm. I don't know if the concept exists in America. Anyway, my ducks and pigs and chickens did not impress, but when I said I also kept the cutest animal in the world, I piqued their interest. I produced my phone and showed them pictures of my alpacas. The two girls squealed and fought over the handset. Even Cassie went doey eyed. I leaned over conspiratorially to Jake. "A sports car is not the only way to be a hit with the babes." He looked at the three of them cooing and smiled.

The alpacas were Tina's idea. They are as easy to keep as sheep, and are smaller than Llamas, with which they often get confused. It's their fir and faces that make them irresistible. I used to joke with Tina that Walt Disney designed them not god.

"Do you have any more pictures, Ted?" asked Caroline after they had looked through everything twice.

"Actually, I have some video." I found the clip and let it play. The alpacas curious humming drew glances from other diners. It sealed the deal for the girls.

"Mom, we have to get one each, we must," said Suzanna. "I'll be good every day, I promise," added Caroline.

"See what you've done now?" Cassie pretended to be annoyed.

"Actually, they calm children down. Same way as dolphins." I found another clip. "These kids have learning difficulties and can be disruptive in class. They come over once a week to help with feeding. It seems to settle them."

Cassie took my phone for a closer look. "I teach kids like these. I know how challenging they can be. Is that their teacher?"

"No, that's my wife." All the females had to look. Tina was nothing like Cassie. She was tall, with straight brown hair and generous hips. "That was before she got ill." I answered the question in her eyes. "Cancer, two years ago."

"I'm sorry, Ted" said Cassie.

"Yeah, that must be a bummer." A sympathetic comment from Jake. I nodded my appreciation to him. "Why are you in Galveston?" He asked what they were all thinking.

"Do you know what a bucket list is Jake?" He said yes and Cassie explained for the girls.

"I'm visiting towns in America made famous in songs. It's something we both wanted to do."

I looked up at Cassie and there was a tear in her eye. "What a lovely idea," she said.

The waitress returned, asking if we needed anything else. We were all full to bursting point, so we just called for the bills. Cassie glanced at her watch. "Where has the time gone? I need to get you home and then see Mrs Elmore's boy for an hour. Remember, you're all sleeping over at grandmas tomorrow, so pack your bags while I'm out please.

Our bills arrived. I offered to pay theirs, but Cassie insisted no and offered her card. The waitress came back with my card and receipt but said they could not process Cassie's payment. She went up to the counter to sort it out while I chatted to the kids about what they liked and hated about school. I glanced up to see Cassie talking animatedly on her mobile. I joined her at the register. "Can I help?"

"This is so embarrassing. My bank has taken a loan repayment today and my salary won't go in until tomorrow. I'm a substitute teacher with two agencies. I'm never sure which one pays when."

"It's not a problem, Cassie. I'll settle and you can pay me back tomorrow or whenever." Before she could object, I handed my card over.

"I'll pay you back, I promise Ted."

"I trust you, Cassie. Come on, the kids are getting restless." I left a tip for both of us.

"What was that all about?" Jake asked on the way out.

I jumped in. "A customer survey. They wanted to know if there were enough old people in the restaurant." He snorted, but did not pursue the subject.

My hotel was across the car park. We approached Cassie's mini van. Someone had parked an enormous pickup truck illegally next to her, blocking the driver's door. She was too close to the vehicle on the other side to squeeze in.

"Just perfect. Now I'll have to find out which ass owns the truck. Why does everything get spoiled?"

"Not necessarily." I pressed the key fob in my pocket and the indicator lights on the red Ford Mustang lit up.

"That's your car?" Jake's eyes were wide open, gawping at my spur-of-the-moment upgrade.

"Yes. It's what we old folks like to drive." I walked over and started the car and drove it up to where they were standing. "Do you want to sit in it while we get your mum's van out?" The kids did not wait for a second invitation and scrambled in. Jake was behind the wheel. He was disappointed when I removed the keys.

I took my time reaching the van with Cassie. She looked back. Jake was doing imaginary racing and the two girls were urging him to go faster. They were all smiling. "I don't know what to say, Ted Westbury. You've charmed us all."

The words bypassed my brain completely. "Then say you'll have dinner with me tomorrow, Cassie. While the kids are on their sleepover."

I'd surprised her, and she reddened. "That would be lovely Ted, but I'm on a girl's night out."

I felt foolish at my impulsive request. "Off course you are. It was silly of me to ask."

"No, it was not. Listen, why don't I come and see you beforehand? I'll give you your money back and we can talk for a while."

My cheesy grin gave me away, and Cassie smiled in return. I held the door while she scooted across across to the driver's seat. She turned and caught me red-handed. I'd been staring at her shapely arse. "Ted, I thought you were a gentleman!"

"A gentleman yes, an angel no." I closed the door and left her blushing. I prized her kids out of my car and I waved them all goodbye.

My jet lag and headache had disappeared, replaced by a feeling I did not recognise. I know Tina would have enjoyed a walk on the beach before sunset, so I drove the short distance to the shore. Tina gave me her, 'I know you Ted Westbury' look.

"They are just nice people having a hard time. Cassie's got a lot on her plate. I just wanted to cheer them up. That's all."

Tina shook her head to say I wasn't fooling anyone.

-2-

The daytime hours could not pass quickly enough. My excitement at the prospect of seeing Cassie again, clashed with the dread she might cancel at any moment. I'd regressed to my sixteen-year-old self. Tina smiled ruefully every time I looked at her as we cruised the neat grid of Galveston's streets. The fantastically preserved Victorian architecture blew away my preconceptions of a gritty working port. So many beautiful homes and hotels. I abandoned the car to walk around the historic East End District. I could have been a film set for everything from Gone with the Wind to The Great Gatsby. What surprised me most were the tree sculptures. Birds metamorphosed out of elderly trunks, either landing or about to take flight. I'd seen nothing like Galveston in my previous package holiday experience of America. I was glad I'd made the trip for both of us.

By six o'clock I thought Cassie had cancelled, but shortly after, Reception informed me I had a guest. She looked lovely in her summer dress; cream coloured with a full skirt. The spaghetti straps made the most of her caramel tan and impressive cleavage. She stood taller in a pair of nude stilettos, almost at my eye level, and I had to resist the instinct to take her in my arms. I contented myself with a peck on her cheek.