Game of Stones

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll see what I can do."

Lou slapped me on the shoulder and headed home.

I went about my usual nightly preparations, pulling up my reporting page on the computer and checking in. I always stayed a little past my quitting time to make up for my lateness, unlike the co-worker of my father's who always kidded, "I was ten minutes late to work today, so I have to leave ten minutes early to make up for it."

I pushed my notebooks and study sheets aside and concentrated on the monitors but couldn't detect anything out of the ordinary, i.e., Lisa. It was still twilight, so I decided to study for a while and wait for it to get dark.

The study wasn't very fruitful as I was continually looking up at the monitors, searching for movement or any other sign of nefarious activity, the latter being my purpose for being there.

It was nearly ten o'clock when I glanced up at the monitors for the umpteenth time, and there, smiling at me was Lisa. The golf cart was quickly in motion, and I found her standing beneath one of the lights, waiting.

"I'm back."

"I see that, and I have to admit that I've been waiting to see you."

"Anxiously?" she asked with a grin.

I shrugged. "You're very interesting, so yes, anxiously."

Dressed in black again, that face, with the almost constant smile, was adorable. And she seemed to be looking at me differently than yesterday.

"So, are you still weird and crazy tonight?" I teased.

"Oh, not just tonight," she replied. "That's with me all the time. I can't get rid of it nor deny it." That laugh again seemed to warm the night air...and me.

"I'm still not sure I'm buying that, Lisa."

"It comes naturally."

"How's that?"

"I'm Romani."

"Roman? You mean Italian, and you're from Rome?"

"No...and I almost called you silly again. Romani, you know, Gypsy."

I didn't know, as I wasn't sure I'd ever heard that word before. Gypsy I'd heard, but I only knew that it was some group of wandering people in Europe. I didn't know there were Gypsies in the United States.

"I can tell from your face that you have no idea what I'm talking about, and you're a little embarrassed to admit it."

It seemed I shrugged often while talking with Lisa, and I did this time as well.

"I apologize, but I've never had any reason, I guess, to learn."

"A lot of what you read will characterize us as lazy, thieves, connivers, and even worse. So you see, you were probably right in wanting to get me out of here last night."

"Lisa, don't be silly. I didn't know anything about that last night. You're..."

She raised her eyebrows, waiting for me to answer.

Her blue eyes held mine as I pondered how to answer. Why not just say what I was thinking? No reason not to.

"I'm not sure I find you either weird or crazy, just kind of fascinating in your differentness.

"Fascinating? I think you're the first who ever called me that. Weird and crazy are rather negative-sounding words. Fascinating is much more positive. I think I like you, Tony."

Ugh, what did she mean by that? I liked my professors and lots of my classmates at college. I even liked Lisa.

"I like you too, Lisa."

"Even though I'm a Gypsy?"

My turn to laugh. "Maybe because you're a Gypsy."

"Wow. Tony, you are different, too."

I thought maybe I needed to change the subject, but Lisa beat me to it.

"Do you have keys to those big buildings?"

"Do you mean the mausoleums down in the corner?"

She nodded.

"They're open during the day," I suggested.

"I'm not coming here during daylight. That would ruin everything." She was looking at me expectantly.

Of course, I had the keys back at the office, but did I want to risk getting them? She seemed to sense my hesitation.

"Don't worry. Maybe another night...when you know me better," she added with that familiar smile.

It sounded like this little game we seemed to be playing was going to continue. But while I was waiting for her, a couple of questions had popped into my head.

"Lisa, I don't want to seem too nosy, but can you tell me more about the Romani part of your life?" I'd already decided to do a little online research as soon as possible

"Sure, Tony. I'll be happy to share with you. There are benches over here in the little

circle "

I followed her to the bench, where she swung her leg over and sat down straddling it. She pointed for me to sit down opposite her.

"Give me your hands."

Holy shit, we were going to be holding hands. Lisa certainly wasn't shy, and I wasn't about to miss this opportunity. I extended my hands, and she grasped them tightly.

"My parents came here before I was born. I'm an only child, and my parents are very old. They've told me they were always called thieves, cheaters, connivers, agents of Satan, and so on. They lived in a wagon and ran booths at carnivals and other parties. People hated them. They'd never tell me how they got here to the US, but I suspect it was illegal. Lots of questions with no answers. Somehow they became citizens, and then I was born, but I was raised with their fears and expectations. Somewhere along the line, I vowed to fight it. I've never volunteered to anyone that I have Gypsy heritage."

"Wait, wait," I interrupted. "Why are you telling me then?"

She squeezed my hands. "Isn't it okay that I've told you? You're not going to hate me, are you?"

I had no plans to hate anyone, particularly Lisa. But I still wondered why she'd shared her story with me.

"You look really puzzled, but I wanted you to know why I'm so weird. Plus, I like you, and I don't think you'll make fun of my heritage." She squeezed my hands again.

"I don't know what to say, Lisa. I mean, I'm not about to make fun of you. I, well, I like you too." What I meant to say was that, already, I REALLY liked her.

"Are your eyes dark brown?" she asked, leaning in closer to me. Almost too close.

"Very dark, um, brown." I stammered, willing myself not to back away. From this close, her blue eyes were all I could see.

"Do you have your flashlight?"

"Huh?" I was mesmerized by her closeness, and I wondered what she was up to. Whatever it was, I was enjoying being a part of it.

"Your flashlight?"

"In the cart." Reluctantly, my gaze left her eyes. I stood and retrieved the flashlight. When I returned, her hand was out and asking for it.

She turned it on and adjusted the beam to its broadest width creating a soft light that she directed to my face.

"Yep, very dark brown," she said as she leaned so far forward I could feel her breath on my lips. "Way nicer than my stupid blue."

"Lisa, are you kidding? Your eyes are gorgeous?"

"Lots of people say that, but I'm not sure I believe them. But I love that you say it." Her eyes roamed around as she switched the flashlight off. "Do you suppose some of the people buried right here, in the graves that we can see, had blue eyes?"

"I'm sure, but none blue like yours."

"Tony, you're being so nice. Are you flirting with me?"

After all that had happened the last two nights, she was asking me if I was flirting with her. Maybe I was. I wasn't known for flirting that much was sure. But I'd never come across anyone like Lisa. Maybe she was weird...or maybe just different. It had only been two days, but sometimes it only takes a few seconds for someone or something to affect you like nothing else ever has.

I smiled. "You're someone I could certainly flirt with, Lisa."

"Well, do it then. I love it coming from you. I may flirt back, okay?"

"Help yourself," I answered as she leaned toward me once more and winked.

"You'd better get back to work, don't you think?"

"I suppose, although I think you're always trying to get rid of me. I won't be able to flirt with you while I'm working."

"I'm not trying to get rid of you, far from it. But I am looking out for you because I like you, Tony. But you will be able to study, and you need to do that."

She was correct, of course. But I knew I'd have trouble studying after the time I'd spent with her this evening. Still, I needed to try.

"Let me get one more look at your brown eyes," she said, moving to about an inch or two from my face, our noses nearly touching.

"Brown," she said, the puff of air from her word hitting my lips once again. She was already doing an effective job of flirting with me, and I loved it.

And for the first time, there was the faint aroma of something fruity or citrusy, shampoo or something else? And she hadn't moved, so it was my turn.

"Lisa, are you flirting with me now?"

"I just like you, Tony. Do you call that flirting?"

Whatever it was, having my face this close to hers was causing a change in my heart rate and also creating a desire for something more. Still, this was just the second day that I'd known her, and I certainly was sure I didn't know or understand her that well. I decided it was best to stay calm and see where she wanted to go if that was possible.

"Whatever it is, I like it."

She moved her head away. "Now I've distracted you again. You need to get back to work, and I have things to do as well."

"Tomorrow is Friday. Will you be here?"

"Of course. Will you?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

That wonderful laugh again. "Why don't you surprise me with something tomorrow?"

How could I surprise this dark-haired, blue-eyed, and freckled gamin? I was sure I could think of something.

"I will do that, Lisa. But you need to surprise me too," I added, excitement already making me tingle at the thought of that.

"Tony, you silly boy. I have many surprises for you. And I'm not going to worry about calling you silly any longer. You know I mean it in a kind and affectionate way." She put her finger to my nose. "Now, back to work."

Her eyes seemed to sparkle as she gave me a final smile, spun on her heel, and disappeared into the darkness among the tall stones and shrubbery.

Despite the thoughts of an anticipated surprise lingering in my mind, I was able to concentrate on my studies, I think her words of assurance that she'd be here if I was were chasing away the jitters I had about never seeing her again. I did have a question for her, though. I needed to ask her what she did during the day. Did she work or sleep, or what. I was curious, and I hoped she'd answer.

◇-◇-◇-◇

My surprise wasn't anything particularly special or unusual. It hadn't cost anything, but I suspected that Lisa would be pleased with it. I waited until about nine-thirty and headed out in the golf cart, waiting for her to jump out in front of me to announce her presence.

It happened sooner than I'd expected, as she was waiting not far from the office, which gave me an idea.

"Sometime, come to the office, and you can see what I do all night."

"I don't like numbers much, so I wouldn't enjoy your homework," she said, her laugh starting the night on the right note.

"You know what I mean."

"But if I go in the office, you'll see me in the bright light."

"That's the plan."

"Not sure that's a good plan," she said, looking away.

"You'll see me too."

"Let's see how tonight goes, and we can decide."

"Do you have a surprise for me?" I asked, curious as to what it might be.

"You first," she countered. I asked about the surprise first."

I pulled the small chain from my pocket and dangled it in front of her face.

"Is that what I think it is?" she asked, the smile on her face and the blue eyes nearly overwhelming me.

"Probably."

"Which one?"

"The biggest one, of course. Want to ride there in the cart?"

"I usually walk, but the cart sounds like fun."

She climbed into the cart beside me and took hold of my arm.

"Drive on, Lancelot."

I drove on. "But I'm not sure I fit the Lancelot moniker."

"He's one of my favorite characters...and you're one of my favorite people. Maybe you were Lancelot in another life, and that's why I like you."

"Is that a Roma thing, the reincarnation?"

"I don't know, but probably not. Mom and Dad said that they and their parents pretended to be religious to help themselves survive, but they really weren't. I think there are lots of possibilities."

I guess I was like her parents--if pretending to be Lancelot would help, I was willing to do that.

"I hope you brought your flashlight," she said, chuckling. "I suspect it's gonna be dark inside that big building."

"There's no electricity to that building."

"How many people are in there," Lisa asked as the building hove into view.

I shouldn't have been surprised that she said "people" rather than bodies, or buried, or corpses. They were still very much people to her.

I pulled up by the front door.

"Ready?

She squeezed my arm. "Thank you so much for this wonderful surprise. I was hoping this might be it."

"Why?"

"Don't try to make sense of it, Tony. It's a Lisa thing."

I unlocked the door, and we went inside, the first time for both of us. It was pitch black and surprisingly cool as I fumbled with the flashlight. On at last, it did a moderate job of illuminating the interior.

"Wow!" Lisa exclaimed, looking around in the subdued light.

If I'd said wow, it would have been about the stale and musty smell that was unavoidable. I hoped Lisa didn't want to stay here very long.

"Tony, are there people behind each of those little doors?"

"I expect so. It's an old building, and it's probably full."

"And these little doors."

"Ashes," I said, and Lisa shivered.

"We used to burn our dead, and all their processions, and their animals. But, as time moved on and we became less nomadic, that changed. I don't believe lots of things the older ones believed, like my parents and grandparents, but I was raised hearing those things. Gypsies feared the dead and even built tall fences around their cemeteries. But that's not me."

Watching her, the way she moved, and the look on her face, I wasn't sure that Lisa really clung to what she was saying. I felt like she was fighting those old beliefs in her own way, hoping they weren't an integral part of her makeup.

"Then, who is Lisa?" I asked.

"The girl with the surprise for Tony," she replied quickly, effectively changing the subject. "Are you ready for it?"

"I hope so."

She covered the three or four steps that separated us, put her hands on my shoulders, stood on her tiptoes, and gave me a soft, but at the same time, sensuous kiss.

"Surprised?"

Surprised, and a few other things as well.

"I think that's about the nicest surprise I could have gotten."

"I told you I liked you, Tony," she said with a little giggle.

"You did, and now you showed me. But let me ask you a couple of questions, then."

"Be careful you don't find out more than you want to know."

"I'm not worried about that. What do you do during the day?"

The smile left her face. "Let me keep that for a future surprise."

That told me there was going to be a future, and I certainly wanted that.

"I'd like to meet you somewhere besides here at the cemetery."

"Do you think I'll look different or be different outside of here?"

"I hope not. Not the answer you expected, right?"

Lisa laughed, a bright and engaging laugh. "I don't know what I was expecting, Tony. But I usually like what you say to me."

"If you've seen enough in here, let's go back to the cart."

She nodded, and we left. I carefully locked the door, and we sat in the cart.

"You haven't answered the question yet." I wasn't going to let her forget.

"I like you, Tony. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere. Where will that be?"

It was suddenly up to me, and while I had been waiting for a positive answer, I hadn't thought about the details. Maybe something simple.

"Do you like pizza?"

"Who doesn't? I think some of my relatives from Italy probably liked pizza, so it's in my genes."

"Have you ever been to Rubiino's? It's not too far from here."

"Once or twice. So you want to meet there?" I thought I noted a certain excitement in her voice.

"They have good pizza."

"What time?"

"Tomorrow is my day off, so how's your schedule?"

"Let's beat the crowd. How about four o'clock?"

"Works for me. I'll see you there."

Lisa put her finger to my lips, and I kissed it.

She smiled, put her hands on my cheeks, leaned forward, and I received a second warm and tender kiss.

"Much better," she said, and I found I was becoming addicted to that smile. And the kiss wasn't bad, either.

She jumped off the cart. "Back to work," she said with a wave and walked away toward the tall stones.

I was off to finish my shift...and dream about tomorrow.

◇-◇-◇-◇

I didn't tell Lisa, but four o'clock was perfect since my last class was at two. Shorts, a bright red golf shirt, and sandals, and I was ready. But was I really ready? How much different would Lisa be eating pizza than she was hiding behind a monument? She kept claiming she was weird and crazy. Maybe I'd find she was right, but I didn't think so. And I was still curious about what she did during the day.

I was at Rubino's ten minutes early to find Lisa coming along the sidewalk toward me. Her short shorts, bare-midriff tank top, and flip-flops had my heart immediately pounding, and we weren't even to Rubino's yet. She certainly looked different than I was used to seeing.

"I guess we're both anxious," she said with a chuckle. "And does that ever smell good. Let's get inside and order," she added, grabbing my hand and heading toward the door. And she was correct--it did smell fantastic.

She led me to a corner booth, and we slipped into our seats facing each other. In the bright light, l could see her smiling face better than ever, and it was even more entrancing here. Her dark hair was carefully combed, with a few stray wisps catching my eye. Those blue eyes were even more captivating in the daylight, and that string of freckles dancing across her face was more than anything I'd ever seen on a woman.

"Um, Tony, are you okay?"

I awoke from my reverie. "Yes, but I couldn't believe you'd be even more beautiful in the daylight...but you are." I thought I could see a little pink in her cheeks when I said that.

She gazed at me quizzically for long moments, and I waited, anxious for her reply.

"You mean that, don't you?"

"Sure I do. Do you think I'd say it if I didn't?"

"I'm learning, and you're not what I'm used to. When I was in school, people constantly made fun of me because I'm a Gypsy. It hurt, and I didn't trust anyone. I didn't believe things people told me, even though much of it was true, I suppose. I stayed away and hid from everyone. But, you don't seem to mind that I'm a Gypsy."

"I don't, and I hope you don't mind that I'm German."

"Did you come here from Germany? You have no accent at all."

That made me laugh. "Oh, no, I just have lots of German ancestors, and I'm tempted to get a DNA test to find out all about it. It'll have to wait, though, until I have a little more money."

"I don't have to take a DNA test to know my heritage. But..."

She stopped and looked at me, that mind-numbing smile spreading across her face. I only say "mind-numbing" because my brain tended to shut off when she sent it my way.

"You don't have any idea of how nice that sounds to my ears, that you don't mind that I'm' a Gypsy. Have I told you my last name?"

When I thought about it, I realized that she hadn't. "No, I don't think so."

"It's Boswell, one of the most prominent and well-used of Gypsy names."

I shrugged. "It's a nice name that goes with an even nicer lady. And I have to ask, does everyone in your family have those freckles?"

"Ugh, you had to bring them up." She looked away just as the server arrived. "I'm not very sophisticated in my choice of pizza, so why don't you order?"

"Likewise," I said, volleying it back to her. "What are your likes?"

She shrugged, glancing at the big menu hanging on the wall. It was one of the first times I'd seen her look unsure.