Gargouille Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She quickly jumped up off the bed and rushed into the large walk-in closet. Throwing clothing in a bag, Nicole angrily sputtered about the situation with their former betrothed in the house. Snorting, she reached for another bag at her feet and continued throwing things in.

She had been unhappy before, and the vision of old miseries flocked like hungry ghosts about her fresh pain. She recalled her last relationship, her parents' divorce, the her father leaving and then her sister, the sad years that followed, all those negative sorrows, denials and postponements of life.

Animals! She squeezed her eyes shut tightly and saw sparks of color.

** MW**

"She said what?" Laird Eyon roared loudly at Alana who stood there before him, shaking in obvious fear.

She, of course, kept quiet about the fact that the mistress was coming from the lower rooms. It was obvious that her distress was at finding out about Aryan, but Alana wasn't about to tell the Lairds. She had hated keeping such a secret from her mistress, but it wasn't her secret to tell.

"La...Lady Nicole...said she wants to go home, my Laird. She seemed really upset..." Alana stammered, avoiding his gaze, wishing she had not been so hasty in coming to tell the Lairds of her mistress' distressing pallor.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kieran's deep voice bellowed from across the room.

In just a few long strides, he, too, was towering over the obviously frightened Alana.

Alana was sure that at any moment she would pass out and part of her prayed she would.

But, she'd mistaken his tone for anger and that was not the case. Kieran was troubled and yes, even worried. Both he and Eyon had noticed a change in Nicole in the last few weeks. They each had noticed a change in her reaction to them. Three nights ago, they had observed her retching, leading them to believe she was with child. She had denied it at the time, blaming her condition on eating something disagreeable. Would she lie to them? By all that was right, of course she wouldn't! He argued with himself, yet he remained uncertain.

Alana risked a glance at the men and almost cringed at the ominous looks that were set in their faces.

"How was she this morning?" Eyon thundered.

"I didn't attend to her this morning, Laird Eyon. Moira took it upon herself to take Lady Nicole's morning coffee to her," she explained, her voice shaky and almost tearful.

Both men stood stonily in the dining room of their Manor, a dark impatient look etched like stone upon both their faces. Alana nervously shifted from one foot to the other, uncomfortable around her Lairds at such a sensitive time. Alana looked from one to the other nervously for a long moment. Before either man could say another word, she quickly stepped around them and exited their office.

"I wonder what's come over her. Everything seemed to be going well, and then this. I dinna understand what's gone wrong." Eyon paced back and forth, a look of frustration on his face.

Kieran knew exactly how he felt. They couldn't read her mind, but Nicole seemed detached and moody as of late. He supposed they couldn't blame her for that; they had been neglecting her, so fixed as they were on bringing their enemies to heel. Kieran turned to look at his cousin, his brow furrowed.

"She allowed us taking her in our true persona. I hope she dinna have a case of sudden regret, as tis too late." Kieran sighed, a pensive look on his face.

Eyon felt unexpected anger rise within him at Kieran's comment. "What's that supposed to mean? She may not have entered this freely at first, but she was elated by us taking her in our true form."

Still, we did bind her to us without her consent when we bit her, he thought wearily.

"Dinna question my feelings for her, as I love her as much as ye." Kieran's nostrils flared.

"Kieran, dinna be defensive. I am not questioning yer feelings. We have to find out what ails her. Getting at each other will solve naught."

Kieran sighed. "Aye, ye have a point. Since the attack on her life, things have been hectic. We have left Nicole to her own devices in running the household and the only quality time we seem to spend with her is in bed."

"Maybe she was too prideful to tell us she needed support," Eyon mused.

"Some of the Guardians and I are gathering for a patrol tonight. I need to make a few calls. Perhaps ye'll be able to find out what's wrong. I'll be up shortly," Kieran stated.

"Aye, I certainly will," Eyon vowed.

Eyon sat down as he watched Kieran walk off. He ran a hand across his face. Nicole was strong-willed. He didn't want to fight with her, but a battle was exactly what he knew he had on his hands. He thought that the way they were brought up, they were to be given a soft, docile wife, but instead it appeared they had been given a fiery little she-devil, who had the impulses of a child at times. He would not put up with such childish antics. Indeed, he would see their mate tamed and would demand obedience.

Determination, hard and urgent, rose within him. Nicole was theirs. She was going nowhere. No one else would have her. He rose to his feet and strode towards the door to go to the woman who had pulled them from their sorrows and the restlessness that had burdened them for centuries. She was going nowhere. She was too important to them. When would Nicole learn?

A few minutes later, Eyon bounded through the double doors into the great hall. He swung around and was heading for the main stairs when he saw their groom.

"Where is yer wife?" Eyon demanded of the man, Fergus, in the downstairs hall. He grabbed the man's arm and spun him around.

"She be in the kitchen, Laird Eyon," Moira's husband gasped, stunned by the sudden attack.

"See to it that she doesna leave for her nightly gathering with the clan."

"Yes, L-laird Eyon," Fergus stuttered, "I'll see ta it."

Eyon tossed the poor man aside like an old broom, already turning back toward the stairs. Mounting the stairs two at a time, Eyon headed for their room, wanting nothing more than to see his mate. He hesitated outside the room door, his hand on the brass knob.

Opening the door, Eyon stepped silently within, and then closed it behind him. He folded his arms and leaned against the doorframe, observing her. Nicole was angrily throwing clothing into a large bag. He wanted to go to her and pull her soft, yet firm body into his arms, to absorb her into his body. How could one small lass be so stubborn?

"What are ye doing, Nicole?" he asked, although it was obvious.

His voice was light, not angered as Nicole expected. It frightened her in an inexplicable manner. Nicole had been preparing herself for both of their arrivals. She knew that, once they discovered her defiance, they would come. She was surprised to see Eyon alone. But, she told herself that she really didn't care whether or not they came to stop her. Annoyed that her hands shook, she ignored Eyon's question and proceeded with what she doing, ignoring him as much as she possibly could.

Nicole allowed her gaze to discretely glide over his body as he stood there. He was dressed in a dark gray turtleneck. Underneath, she could see the outline of his toned chest. Her eyes trailed down and took in his bulging legs covered in jeans in the same dark gray as the top, his feet clad with black leather boots. He was truly the most gorgeous man she'd ever seen, apart from Kieran, of course.

"Do ye intend to answer?" Eyon's voice was now laced with sarcasm. "Or shall I repeat the question? Ye do appear confused."

He peeled himself from the doorframe and walked towards her. Nicole snorted at his sarcasm and quickly averted her eyes. She heard footsteps approaching.

Don't panic. Stay calm.

Two strides and he was beside her. "Nicole," he ground out between his teeth, "what the hell are ye doing?"

His gaze flickered over her as she boldly continued to throw clothing into the bag. Nicole answered without turning. "Packing my things. What does it look like?"

"Discontinue."

She stiffened at his sharp retort and trembled when she felt his presence loom closer. Nicole felt the warmth of Eyon's body seep into hers and the sensation only increased the desire that built inside her. The sound of his breathing brought a curious mixture of dread and excitement to her already inflamed body. She could feel her breath come faster and the trickle of fluid begin seeping from between her legs even as she struggled to keep her composure.

"Now," he whispered the harsh word against the side of her temple and felt her tremble.

Excitement thrummed in Eyon's blood as he caught the tantalizing hint of Nicole's juices riding on the air. A low, almost silent growl rumbled out of his chest. His cock ached to have her tongue on it while she pleasured him with her mouth. God! The thought alone was enough to drive him wild. Sighing inwardly, he closed his eyes. He had to keep his arousal under control or he'd never be able to contain his lust. It was not something he wanted or needed to happen, at least not yet.

He moved in closer, placing one arm around her, and ground out through gritted teeth,

"Obey me!"

"Why?" she asked weakly. A shudder shook her as his hold tightened.

"Because I say so," he replied in that tone of implacable authority she was coming to loathe.

Packing momentarily forgotten, Nicole sighed and let herself rest against him, but only for a moment. When she tried to move away, she winced as his hold tightened.

"I'd rather not," she said, amazed at the coolness in her tone when she was on the brink of discomposure.

At her response to his order, he spun her around to face him, slamming her body against his hard chest. She turned her face away from his.

"Look at me, damn it! And stop this damn foolishness!"

Schooling her features, she expelled the air from her lungs and met his gaze, unwavering, as unforgettable dark green eyes focused on hers. Nicole fought not to give in. His presence and proximity were disquieting on so many levels. Plus, the hunger she had seen earlier in his gaze had her heart pounding.

Eyon's darkened eyes glittered. "Nicole, ye try my patience. What's the meaning of all this?"

She shot him a look of incredulity. "You can ask me such a question! You two have a woman locked up and helpless and you still ask that?"

For a few moments, Eyon was puzzled; his brows drew together in confusion. How did she know about Aryan? Then he recalled Alana telling him that Moira had taken a tray up to Nicole's rooms. It must have been her. Aye, it was Moira all right, Eyon thought, annoyed. Eyon's expression turned from surprise to anger.

"Who told ye that?" he asked sternly.

To Nicole's annoyance, he didn't look apologetic. "Is she one of your whores?" She knew that wasn't so, but felt the need to ask, out of anger. She pulled away from him and he let her go.

Eyon's eyes angrily roamed over Nicole when she pulled away. "Ye already know the answer to that!"

"Then why is she here?" she implored.

"Tis not important," Eyon replied, ignoring her wounded look. "We'll address yer concerns another time."

He wanted to talk to her about Aryan, but the timing was all wrong. On the other hand, it delighted him to see her expressing such jealousy. Eyon knew she cared for them and having this indication that her feelings might consist of more than passion pleased him. Eyon realized suddenly how much he wanted to hear her say she loved them.

Nicole shook her head and began chewing her bottom lip in earnest. Not that she had anything personal against Aryan. On the contrary, she sort of felt sorry for her. It seemed like she was a pawn in whatever was going on. Though, there was the matter of her knowing the attacker, a link too great to ignore. These were Nicole's thoughts as she answered Eyon's last remark.

"Not important? You can't just take the law into your own hands. Perhaps it would be helpful," she observed lightly, "if we both went to see her and hear from her own lips what she believes she's being kept locked up for. That might answer my question."

Nicole made the statement while looking fully at Eyon and was rewarded by seeing a tinge of guilt flash in his eyes before he sighed. "Tis unfortunate," he said mildly, "that ye weren't informed of her presence. Tis yer house as well and I apologize for that. But we wouldna have brought her here if we hadna felt it was necessary to do so. No crime has been committed here, Nicole."

Her lovely brown eyes softened as she saw the pain underneath his expressionless face. Why didn't they understand what she wanted from them? Their love meant nothing to her without their willingness to share their problems with her. She would not settle for less.

"Well, that's a start," she said gently, some of her anger receding, "but I feel there's more to this story that you are letting on. What are you not telling me, Eyon? You know how I feel about freedom of choice. It's a given right."

The anger faded from Eyon's eyes to be replaced with annoyance. The soft tone of his voice was surprising. "'I know the way ye were brought here was not a pleasing experience. I know ye canna have liked it, for we tore ye away from yer home and family. But Kieran and I are not sorry. Ye are curious and tis natural, but I willna discuss her reasons for being here at this time. Perhaps if ye find something to occupy yer mind until such time, this would be better."

His brusqueness ignited her anger, and she stepped back. "Goddamn barbarians! You can force me, but I guarantee you will not like it," she declared through clenched teeth, her eyes were angry slits.

Eyon did not like where this conversation was headed. "Have ye had yer bath as yet?" he asked, abruptly changing the subject.

"Why?" she asked sharply.

"If not, I'll run one for ye." His voice grew gentle, as if he were trying to appease her.

This time when she backed away, he was prepared. Eyon grabbed her and loosened her silk robe. Her wafer thin chemise did little to conceal her breasts and mons, as his eyes assessed her slowly from head to toe, stopping at her breasts for a moment before finally settling on her face.

Nicole gasped, as her hands came up, a slight tremor in them as she covered her breasts. She lowered her head, eyes closed. Although she did not look up to meet his storm-filled gaze, she felt the heat. It made her want to give in and let the inevitable happen, but she had to distract him from this, had to distract herself from it. This couldn't be happening. With the throbbing in her nether regions, her body told her it wanted it to happen, but mentally, she was still determined to fight it.

"Removed yer hands and open yer eyes, Nicole," Eyon ordered. He needed to see the desire in her beautiful eyes as well.

"No," she said flatly.

"What ye want matters not," Eyon replied, but that wasn't entirely true and he knew it.

This was not about ownership or sex. There existed a connection between the three of them. But, the vixen drove him to madness with her sharp tongue and razor claws.

Maybe someday in the near future, when her belly swelled round with their first bairn, she might see sense and acknowledge they knew what was best. He knew Kieran would readily agree with this.

"Of course it doesn't matter. It's all about your and Kieran's needs," Nicole stated bitterly, as her resolve seemed to crumble.

She opened her eyes and shivered at the heated gaze he was giving her. His stare hungrily roamed over her body, making her aware of her state of undress.

"Think you can get me to have intercourse with you and I'll melt in your arms, acknowledging your superior gargoyle thinking after you've sexed me up good and proper?" she asked.

Damn. Eyon had forgotten how stubborn their mate could be. Eyon didn't think he'd be able to talk his way out of that one, but it didn't mean he wouldn't try. He took a step towards her as she slowly backed away. Nicole is going to make this difficult, he thought with some exasperation.

A lazy smile spread across his handsome face, his green eyes darkening as they slowly slid over her body. "Is it working?"

She harrumphed. "What are you doing?" she demanded in her most fearsome tone, taking another step backward as he slowly advanced towards her.

His lips thinned, but he said nothing.

Nicole sighed deeply, she didn't want to fight, but he advanced towards her nonetheless. Her protests had fallen on deaf ears.

Eyon's jaw hardened as he watched her edge way from him. Lord knows they didn't want a timid mate, they wanted a mate who spoke her mind, who could be just as sexually aggressive as he and Kieran were, if not more so. But most of all, they wanted their mate to realize that no matter how angry she made them, they wouldn't hurt her.

"How long will you go on thinking of me as a frail female?" Nicole broke into his thoughts. "Can't you understand that I am not some silly, meek kind of woman? I do not want to be treated like a child, and once again, you have proven that you're both keeping secrets from me." Her voice was bitter.

He didn't respond. He stayed still, not moving an inch. It was puzzling, but even more so was the question of why he stood staring down at her, saying nothing. He was frowning, but he didn't look particularly angry.

For several long minutes, Eyon stood quietly, his gaze fixed unseeingly on the leaping flames of the fireplace, however, there was no serenity. Eyon was worried. Months had passed since the day Nicole came into their lives and had consumed them all with her vibrant and exciting manner. There was no doubt in his mind that Nicole loved both he and Kieran. He knew that, in the eyes of his clan, she would make any man a mate to be proud of. From the standpoint of beauty alone, she was as lovely as an angel.

Dark eyes turned, regarding her steadily, and only when she stopped moving away from him, the back of her foot connecting with the bed, did Eyon respond to her question.

"Neither Kieran nor I are taking any chances with yer life, ye are too important to us. Aryan is here for a reason. We will share this with ye in due time, Nicole. She is not a prisoner. All we want is for ye to be safe."

His thoughts went to Aryan, still isolated in the lower rooms. He felt ashamed for their neglect of her, due to them having more urgent and pressing matters to deal with, such as keeping their mate safe, as well as dealing with the rest of the clans. They had managed to get a lead on Neal and he would be in their grasp anytime now.

Bloody hell! Nicole sighed. Eyon's sweet words were getting to her heart. Nicole glanced away, nibbling at her lower lip. Lord, this was confusing. On one hand, she was elated by what he had just told her, but on the other hand she was still annoyed.

Eyon looked at his mate's plump lips, as she worried the bottom one with her teeth and his temper shifted, transforming like a gargoyle into raw, hot lust. God's teeth, he ached to plunder that sweet mouth. Just be patient, he told his inner beast, we'll soon taste it.

Nicole looked back up at him and held his gaze. His hair was black and glossy in the lightly lit room, just long enough to curl, and sparks of sexual energy flickered in his green eyes when he lower his head to stare down at her. Damnation, she wished to hell he wasn't so bloody sexy. It would make things easier.

Nicole could resist him; the trick was to focus on the fact that he, along with Kieran, had kept such a secret from her. Yes, she would do just that. Several long seconds passed in silence while he watched her and she watched him from beneath her lashes.

Hiding a smile, Eyon looked again to his mate. She was fighting her feelings, aye, an angel with a temper. The way she stood, defying him, annoyed him as well as stirred his admiration. He could crush her with one blow, yet she faced him squarely. Her delicate face, with its large, liquid, brown eyes, stirred his loins even when it was flushed with anger. He knew every part of her body, inside and out. He wondered how they got so lucky; she was everything they dreamt of and more.