Genres I Have Known

Story Info
A review of my own stories & some insights into writing them.
3.8k words
4.79
1.8k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Shady_Lady
Shady_Lady
1,761 Followers

As some of you may have seen, in my bio I stated that I am trying to write in as many sections of Literotica as I can. One of the sections that I hadn't written in was the Erotic Reviews & Essays section, something I am rectifying with this piece.

I did a bit of research by reading other writers' entries and it seemed to cover a multitude of approaches ranging from someone's views on a topic through to an opinion of what is happening in the world. One of the popular approaches seems to be answering questions about yourself which I am sure those that want to know have already asked me.

The area I do know a lot about is my writing, so I have decided to review the different genres/sections I have written in from my perspective of writing them. I am not going to go into individual plots and stories as you can read that for yourself. But want I want to do is try to give an insight into what was going through my head when I wrote some of the stories and how I feel about my success (or lack of it) in that section.

The number in brackets beside each of the sections listed below is how many entries I have in that area as of 19th October 2022, and where appropriate I have named a story or two of interest but haven't listed each and every one as you can read that on my story index page. I have to say at this juncture I was surprised by how many entries I haven't got in some sections.

*****

Anal (1) - The butt, and nothing but.

Technically I only have one entry in the category which is "Good Neighbours Pt. 01." (No idea why part 1 as have never written further chapters). Yes, there is anal in it but then again many of my stories do. On reflection, I should have put "Take Me" into Anal as it involves lesbian anal sex for the first time.

*****

BDSM (3) - Bondage, D/s, and other power games.

D/s has always fascinated me from a personal level and a few years ago it was something that I got involved in. There are a couple of chapters of the Julie Journals that cover my experimentation but again I think I have miscategorised them; chapters 14 & 15 of my autobiography stand out straight away in my head.

*****

Celebrities & Fan Fiction (1) - Parodies & erotic fan fiction about famous people.

Again a sole entry (That Scene) into this category. A friend complained that there were very few Keria Knightley stories so as a favour to him I turned my hand to this area. As I have a crush on Angelia Jolie seemed perfect to put them together. Not sure I will return to this genre as I did find it a bit stifling trying to stay in their characters. Saying that I have a plot running through my head involving Annie Lennox and the song Sweet Dreams although it could just as easily fall into the BDSM section. I guess will need to write it and then decide where it fits so watch this space as they say.

*****

Erotic Couplings (2) - Wild one-on-one consensual sex.

Both entries in this category are true stories. I mean where do you put a story about the man you married?

*****

Erotic Horror (2) - Bizarre, shocking, scary, and sometimes sexy.

This category drove me mad. Wrote a long story involving Vampires only to get it rejected for mixing death and sex. Cursed for a while and then had another go with "The Porn Star" and "Alice in Demonland" though never really sure they are my best work.

*****

Exhibitionist & Voyeur (2) - Watching, and being watched.

The first half of "Cumming out of Isolation" was a true story as told to me in a chat room and I do love bringing those to life. The second half with dogging was down to my perverted imagination. The other is "Smile for the Camera Ch. 02" although chapter 1 could just as easily fit I put that into "Toys & Masturbation." On another day I could have switched them around

*****

Fetish (3) - Feet, panties, food, and other kinky things.

The word that stands out to me here is "kinky" though I came very aware that what some consider "kinky" others class as "normal" and vice versa. The story that stands out for me as a writer is "How I Became a Ponygirl". This was something I had never heard of when I was approached with the request to write a story and had to do a lot of research. It's not for me and never quite sure if I hit the right mark with it but some seem to enjoy it.

*****

First Time (1) - Memories & stories of people's first times

I wanted to write a first-time story but my mind was blank as every storyline I came up with was very short in length. I then had this idea of what if there were a group of people who all told their first time and then combined them all. It kind of worked in "There is a First Time for Everything", but I think it ended up being a "Jack of all trades and a master of none."

*****

Gay Male (9) - Men loving men.

Wow was I bricking it when I wrote my first one in this category. Expecting a torrent of abuse about "how dare you as a woman write about something you have no idea about." In fact, to my delight, they went down really well, and the comments were encouraging enough for me to keep going in this category. Writing from a bottom's perspective wasn't that hard for the acts as it is almost putting them in a woman's position. Getting the mental aspect was a little harder but chatting to guys I think I managed to capture the right tone.

When I decided to write from a top's perspective, I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew but the kindness shown to me by gay tops in explaining how they seduced married men allowed me to capture the scene (quite well according to the voting). The story is dedicated to one guy in particular (Top Man) who spent ages answering my stupid questions. The one thing that really stuck in my head was, "make sure the top breeds the bottom...a lot."

*****

Group Sex (12) - Orgies, swingers, and others.

Have done a lot in this section, though if I am honest the moment, I get multiple partners this is my default resting place.

"Swingers" is interesting as it resides here and is also part of the "Loving Wives" description so never quite sure where to put it. "7 Arcadia Avenue - the Swingers" didn't do that well and on reading the description I perhaps should have put that in "Loving Wives".

Technically my first ever story "The Julie Journals: Ch. 01 Her First Party" posted on 12th May 2002 is here which seems such a long time ago both in writing and when it actually took place. I won't read it as it seems so abrupt to what I write these days but maybe one day I will be brave enough to rewrite it and make it a fuller story.

*****

How To (1) - Advice and suggestions from our readers/authors.

I was chatting to a guy, and we got talking about pegging, a very popular subject these days. I was surprised there was little there has been written about the practicalities of this subject and as I wanted to write in this genre set my mind to it. I have done pegging a few times over the years, notably with my first husband but had to turn to an expert to help me produce "How to Peg your Partner". My eternal gratitude goes out to a wonderful woman by the name of KayTwo for helping write this story as her experience in this area is far greater than mine.

*****

Humour & Satire (1) - A humorous take on all things sex.

Many people have online relationships/lives that keep secret from their partner. What if two of those people lived together and met up online without realising who the other was? The thought amused me so I wrote "The Chat Room". Probably not humour in its truest sense but as I said, it did make me laugh.

*****

Incest/Taboo (10) - Keeping it in the family.

This is a very popular subject that I have virtually no experience of. I left home at 16 and had no brothers or sisters so I have never really understood it. I wrote "Keeping It in the Family" and got a lovely piece of feedback from a young lady (Mitchie/Michelle) who later became my editor and close friend until she left online life recently. In her feedback and later correspondence, she pointed out that what sets incest apart from straight sex is not just the taboo nature but also the relationship that exists outside of the sex. I have tried to bring this out in later stories I have written with varying degrees of success.

I have also tried to spin the possibilities so rather than just Father/Daughter and Mother/son I have also gone for mother/daughter. The last idea was sparked off by a good friend who complained there wasn't that much lesbian incest porn around.

*****

Interracial Love (2) - It's all black & white, and white & Asian, and...

I have never been hung up on gender or colour as to me it's all about the person. I have enjoyed relationships (albeit briefly) with gentlemen of Afro-Caribbean descent and all the ones I have met have been blessed in the trouser department.

When I wrote the "Birthday Present" I did try to inject some humour rather than just making it all about the size.

*****

Lesbian Sex (39) - Women who love other women.

I have written a lot of stories in this genre, mainly because it's an area I love. There are a couple of stories that stand out in my head.

I was a lesbian for a couple of years when I was 20 and lived with an older woman (Mary) who not only saved my life (literately) but also taught me so much about life. I wrote "The Julie Journals: Ch. 03 Julie's Saviour", and then rewrote it a few years later as I tried to capture and thank her for what she did for me and I still don't think it fully captures everything.

I love writing lesbian love stories and am very proud of "You Are My Eyes" and "Sometimes Love is the Best Therapy" though I wish on reflection I had left that as one story rather than breaking it up into four chapters.

"If Things Had Been Different" is a story where art reflects life or whatever the saying is. I lived as a lesbian for a couple of years and when that finished, I drifted back to more heterosexual relationships. Well, if truth be known I slutted around for 3 years with mainly men and a fair few women until I got married the first time. One thing that has always been at the back of my mind was what if I had stayed lesbian would my life have been that different? Then couple that thought with the daughter who has a crush on her mother's lover and you have the storyline. In fact, the final chapter of will she, won't she, is with my editor as I write.

As mentioned earlier a few of these stories both real and fictional could have gone in the BDSM section and if I am honest would like to think a couple could have gone into the romance section.

*****

Letters & Transcripts (1) - Fictional erotic correspondence.

I had a long and loving relationship with a lovely Australian Lesbian. I tried to recreate this by a fictional exchange of messages that cumulated in a meeting in "You Never Know". On reflection, I should have perhaps expanded the communication and played down the actual meeting, Food for thought if I write in this genre again.

*****

Loving Wives (2) - Married extra-marital fun: swinging, sharing & more.

This is a hard category to write in as it seems that people have very firm views on what should be in there and what should not. Any mention of swinging gets hit hard (even though it's in the genre description) and cuckold doesn't go down that well either. To my horror, I put a swinging story that has been received very well on other sites into this category and it got hammered to the point that I have removed it altogether.

*****

Mature (2) - May / December lust & love affairs.

The one that stands out for me is my highest-rated story and one that very nearly didn't get posted. There is very little sex so was deeply concerned that it would get slated. This story is a combination of three things: -

Some years ago, I read a great story about an affair that stemmed from dancing.

I have been lucky enough to see the Argentine Tango perform in Buenos Aries. (stunning, totally stunning)

I am fascinated by love affairs that span not one but two generations.

In "Save the last dance for me" I tried to combine all three of these elements.

*****

Mind Control (2) - Erotic hypnosis and mind control.

My first entry into this section was "Oil & Water can be Mixed" and it never turned out the way I had hoped. In my head, it was a wonderful story about two girls being controlled by a mysterious force, sort of a "Tales of the Unexpected" meets the "X-files" with a good dose of lesbian sex thrown in. Never really seemed to work out that way and ended up with a story that was OK at best.

I tried again with "Red Banana" and stuck more to "hypnosis" rather than "mind control". I think parts of it came out OK but other parts were a bit weak.

*****

Non-Erotic (1) - Fiction without a sexual focus.

I have a problem with poachers who kill animals for a profit with total disregard for the continuation of that species. For that reason alone, I wrote The Hunt which is basically me venting my anger.

*****

NonConsent/Reluctance (3) - Fantasies of control.

I struggle with rape stories as for me they are a crime of violence rather than a sexual crime. Saying that there is a degree of fantasy in there that can be erotic. I have written 3 in the genre, The 13th Step, which was a pure revenge story, The Julie Journals: Ch. 02 The Biker Gang, which technically is my second story but in reality, it was the first (13th May 2002) and is also a true story. The final one was A Walk on the Wild Side where I tried (and perhaps failed based on some feedback) to explore that fantasy side. I do have one more story (a true one) that maybe one day I will write and post, or maybe it is better left untold.

*****

NonHuman (1) - Aliens, ghosts, androids, and more.

Only one entry in this section and personally I think is in some ways one of my best pieces. "The Hound of Culaain" was written for a contest where you had to take 3 words at least from a list of 20

*****

Poetry (6) - Erotic & Non-erotic

Some people can write super descriptive emotive pieces that are clearly meant to be read dramatically. The problem is my head won't allow me to write in that way as the last words just have to rhyme. I hate my own poetry, as to me it always sounds silly and almost childlike, and I have just made words up to fit.

I think with these it is worth a couple of lines for each poem to give my thoughts behind them as poetry is often as clear as mud to me when I wrote it, so goodness only knows how it appears to you the reader.

Loves Lost Lament - I fell in love with someone who was taken from me all too soon. Everyone tells you to 'carry on' but sometimes it isn't easy.

And The Clock Went Tick - Some people have thought this is about a woman scorned, but far from it. The woman in question is an assassin doing her job

The Banshee - There are people in this world that do things that society disapproves of but are needed to maintain our safety.

CyberInteruptus - written a billion years ago before the advent of broadband and cable. For those old enough to remember dial-up they will remember the frustrations of being disconnected.

A Name on a Screen - Another loss in my life but also, I tried to convey that feeling that although you may never meet someone more than just a few lines of text you can build a strong and real connection

The Last Race - I was trying to get across the desire for women to try to compete in a man's world and sometimes can push so hard it ends in tragedy. I used the metaphor of a motorbike race and was never sure if it fully worked or not.

*****

Reviews & Essays (1) - Your take on art, films, & all things sexual.

Not a lot to say here as this is the piece that earns that 1 entry

*****

Romance (0) - Drama, love, risk, and happily-ever-afters.

A big fat zero submissions so far and this will be the final section for me to write in. I would like to think that many of my stories could have fallen into this section but then again, they do often fall short of the 'Happily-ever after" criteria. Two that would have met it had they not been elsewhere would have been "What's the worst that could happen?" and "You are my eyes", both lesbian love stories.

I have been thinking about this section and I want to stay away from the "boy meets girl etc" and twist it around. This got me thinking what if it was "boy who wants to be a girl meets a girl who wants to be a boy". The storyboard is done now to find the time to flesh it out.

*****

Sci-Fi & Fantasy (1) - Erotic tales set in futuristic or fantastic worlds.

I have watched a couple of films with this concept (without the sex) over the years, thinking of "Big" and "Freaky Friday". In "The Swap" I wanted to do a sex thing so made the switch done by aliens as a plot vehicle but was really about what a man would do in a woman's body and vice versa. I keep meaning to do a follow-up to this as think there are still avenues to follow up.

*****

Toys & Masturbation (1) - Battery-operated vegetables, etc.

I put chapter 1 of "Smile for the Camera" here and then after I had written chapter 2 realised that it would have fitted better in the voyeur category. On another day I could have switched them round

*****

Transgender & Crossdressers (5) - Erotic tales of gender-bending fun.

I have had a varied sex life over the years but one thing I have never experienced is a shemale sexuality, so this is an area of fascination to me. This drives the stories where the shemale is the 'top' as in "Holiday of a Lifetime", "Judy McGuire Ch. 05: A Little Bit Extra" and "Nightmare or Dream"

I did spend some time in Thailand and got to know the local ladyboys which sparked off "See How it Feels". I would stress at this point that my husband was terrified of them, something they would play on this by teasing him and making him all sorts of offers.

The final one in this area is "Frank or Francine" which followed on from a conversation with 'Frank' in chat. I managed to bring his fantasy to life and as with so many of my stories chapter 2 is storyboarded but needs fleshing out.

*****

How I write

As I have read through this piece it has occurred to me that I have made a couple of references to storyboards and fleshing out so perhaps worth my while laying out how I write.

It will start with a spark or an idea, that can come in chat or in the bath or just watching TV. I will then take that idea and write a couple of lines. The next step is to storyboard it, here I invent the characters and describe them, so I have a clear idea of who I am thinking about. Then I do one-liners about what happens and who does what to whom and how. I will play the story over in my head seeing each scene as making sure it's feasible and actually works. For example, she can't grab his cock if she is tied to the bed.

With the story clear and working I can now I can start writing and flesh out the scenes and because of this methodology, I can write non-sequentially and often write the ending before I am halfway through the narrative. This also allows me to pick up and put down a story depending on my mood so one day I might write a torrid lesbian love scene the next day it's a man struggling with his sexuality.

I don't for a second say this approach would work for everyone, but it seems to work for me, and I generally have around 20 storyboards on the go in various stages of completion.

*****

Conclusion

I hope you have enjoyed a little trip through my head and have come out the other side with clarity and sanity. There will be stories missing from the above for differing reasons. Partly because I don't want to bore you by droning on about stuff I wrote 20 years ago, partly because there are a lot more (over 100) stories that don't fit into the Literotica posting rules.

The other thing I would love to think is that by the time the figurative ink has dried on this piece I have written new stories that hopefully are stars, not turkeys.

Shady_Lady
Shady_Lady
1,761 Followers
12