Getting By Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On Wednesday morning Pete decided it was time to take the interior panels and seats to the upholstery shop. He was taking them to Poplar Bluff and didn't want to make the trip alone. He called and invited Becky to go with him. She sounded surprised to hear from him and equally surprised at the invitation. She was silent a moment then quietly said, "Ok. Uh when are you leaving?"

"As soon as I get to your place. I already have the things loaded in my truck. It that ok?"

"But I have to shower and get dressed. I can't..."

Pete broke into her sentence and said, "Becky unless you've been doing something really dirty you don't need a shower. You really don't have to dress up for this trip either. We're going to an auto upholstery shop. They're used to seeing people in work clothes. I've seen you in work clothes too. What's the big deal? If you insist I don't mind waiting but if not whatever you have on is fine. I'm in my work clothes."

"Well ok but..."

"Beck do whatever you feel is right but I'll be in work clothes. I plan on getting dirty unloading so why wear good clothes. Now do you need some time or should I come on over?"

"Ok. I'll be ready when you get here. I'm sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about Beck. Catchya in a few."

Pete picked Becky up quickly and they were on the road. She had on the same type faded jeans and shirt she wore when they worked on the old car. When she saw Pete's old frayed jeans she relaxed and smiled. They immediately fell into a comfortable conversation and the miles flashed by. The drive was only about 44 miles so they barely got a good conversation started before they were in town looking for the upholstery shop.

It was almost noon before their business was completed. Pete looked over at Becky and asked where she wanted to eat. She looked shocked and said, "Oh, we don't have to eat here. We can be home by one or one thirty and I can eat there."

"No. I like mom's cooking and all but I was really hoping to get a pizza or something unless you wanted something else. I haven't had a good pizza in a long time now."

Becky smiled widely and said, "That sounds great. Pizza is one of my favorite foods and I don't get it often enough either. Let's get one."

Pete and Becky ordered a large super supreme and ate it all before they left. They talked and laughed all during the meal. It was after two p.m. before Pete paid for the meal (after an argument with Becky) and they left for home.

It was now an accepted fact that Becky would be at Pete's house every Saturday morning to help on restoring his old car. They worked together and became closer friends over the summer. The old car was now almost finished. The Saturday Pete intended to begin bolting the hood, grill, fenders and trunk lid to it finally arrived. Unfortunately and to Pete's surprise Becky didn't arrive. He waited thirty minutes after her normal arrival time and finally decided to phone her.

Her phone rang and rang then finally went to voice mail. He left a message and went on to work. He really needed a helper for the work he planned on today. He was only able to do little small jobs and he constantly worried about Becky.

Finally about noon she called. He could tell she was upset. She apologized for not calling him to tell him she wasn't coming out. Through her sniffles she said, "Mom's in the hospital in the Bluff (Poplar Bluff, MO). I'm sorry I didn't call you Pete. She fell in the shower this morning and broke her leg and pelvis. She is still unconscious. Oh Pete I'm so scared. I'm sorry I didn't call you though."

"No problem Becky. I understand. Is there anything I can do?"

"No. I'm fine. Thanks though."

Pete continued working after the call for about ten minutes. He couldn't keep his mind on his work. Finally he put everything away and locked the door to the shop. He went into the house and showered. Pete dressed in casual sport clothes and went into the kitchen where his mother was already preparing lunch. She looked at him with a question on her face. He said, "Mom Becky called. Her mother's in the hospital. She fell this morning and broke a lot of bones. She's still unconscious. I'm going to the Bluff to keep her company."

Pauline smiled and looked at Pete with knowing eyes. All she said was, "Tell her we're sorry and if there's anything we can do have her let us know. You be careful son."

Pete didn't break the speed limit badly but he did make the 49 mile drive to the hospital in Poplar Bluff in 40 minutes. Considering he drove through town in Van Buren and the Bluff however he did make some pretty good time.

Pete had a little difficulty finding Becky. Finally he had to call her because the hospital would not tell him which room her mother was in. When Pete walked into the room Becky stood from her chair and walked rapidly up to Pete. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him then said, "Pete you didn't have to come here. We'll be fine. But thank you for coming."

Pete looked at the pale woman in the hospital bed. She was covered in bruises and tubing. He asked, "How is she?"

Becky pressed her lips together and just shook her head from side to side. Then she said, "She lost a lot of blood internally from the breaks. She has osteoporosis and bleeds a lot from the breaks. She had a bad concussion. I just don't know Pete. I'm not sure how badly she wants to go on either. She's been so lonesome since Daddy died and then when" Becky began crying. Finally she continued, "When my daughter got killed too and with my divorce she just sort of almost gave up I guess is the word I want to use. I just don't know Pete."

Pete stayed with Becky the rest of the day. There was little change in her mother's condition and what there was wasn't for the better. Pete went out and got another pizza for their supper. They ate it in the hospital waiting room.

Becky's mother was in Intensive Care so they were only allowed to be with her for short times. The rest of the time they sat in the ICU waiting room. Pete and Becky were huddled together on an uncomfortable love seat when they were awakened by a doctor.

Becky looked up at the doctor and knew. She was already crying before he told her that her mother had died. She turned to Pete and wrapped her arm around his neck. She was crying so hard her whole body was shaking. Pete wrapped his arm around her and gently held her. He kissed the top of her head and gently began rubbing his hands up and down her back.

Finally Becky raised her head and looked at the doctor. She managed to whisper, "Thank you for what you did Doctor. What do I need to do now?"

"We have all the information we need Ms. Potter. You can have the funeral home pick up your mother here any time after eight tomorrow morning." He put his hand gently on Becky's shoulder for a moment and said, "I'm sorry for your loss." He quickly turned and moved back into the hallway and was quickly out of sight.

Pete gently held Becky for a while longer then said, "Come on Honey. Let's get you home. We can take care of the rest of it tomorrow after you've gotten some rest."

Pete didn't even ask Becky. He drove straight to his parent's home and stopped the truck. Becky had been sleeping and woke up when he stopped. She looked around and said, "Pete what are we doing at your parent's house? I can stay alone. It's not a problem."

"Yeah it is Becky. You don't need to be alone now and I don't want you to be alone now. Come on. You can use my bed and I'll use the couch. We'll sort things out later. Right now we both need to get some sleep."

If Pete's parents woke up when they came into the house they didn't check on him. Pete put Becky in his bedroom and grabbed a blanket then crashed on the couch. He didn't sleep all that well and finally gave up about 5:30 a.m. He was up and sitting on the back porch with his first cup of coffee before his mother came into the kitchen. She got herself a cup of coffee and sat on the porch with Pete.

They hadn't done anything except say good morning when to his surprise Becky came onto the porch. Pete was happy to see she at least had gotten herself a cup of coffee. Pauline looked up with shock when she heard then recognized Becky.

Becky's eyes were red and puffy. Her face was mottled. Pauline said, "Becky. I didn't expect to see you here. Are you ok?"

Becky bit her lower lip. Pete could see it tremble. He jumped from his chair and wrapped his arms around Becky. She buried her head under his shoulder and began shaking. Pete turned to his mother and said, "Becky's mother passed away last night mom. I didn't want her to be alone so I put her to bed in my room and slept on the couch."

Pauline jumped from her chair and wrapped her arms around Becky also. She said, "Oh, you poor girl. Of course you can stay here. Stay as long as you want. I'm so sorry. I didn't know your momma well but she seemed like a wonderful woman." Pauline maintained the hug for a few more seconds then released Becky and moved into the house.

Without thinking Pete pulled Becky with him and sat in a glider. He pulled her onto his lap and just held her as they sipped their coffee. About thirty minutes later to Pete's surprise his mother brought their breakfast onto the porch to them. She pulled a small table in front of the glider and placed the plates on it.

Becky didn't eat much but Pete did get her to eat some of her breakfast. After she had eaten all she would Pete once again pulled her into his embrace. They just sat there for several minutes then Becky pushed away from him. She said, "I suppose I had better get started. I have millions of things to do today. Would you mind taking me home now Pete?"

Pete stood and wrapped his arm around Becky. He guided her into the kitchen and said, "Mom Becky has a lot to get done today. I'm taking her home now and I'll probably be gone all day helping."

Pauline smiled at Pete and said, "Ok son. Call us if you need anything. We'll see you when you get home."

Pete ran some errands for Becky during the day and went with her to the meeting with the funeral director. He also fielded some phone calls and visitors at her house. Like many small towns when friends found out about her loss they began bringing food to the family and checking to see if they could help in any way. Part of the day Dottie was with them. She and Becky had been friends in school although Dottie was two years older than Becky.

Pete insisted Becky come back to their home that night. She finally gave in and allowed him to take her to his house about 8:30 p.m. The next morning Pete took her back home and got her started. She finally convinced him she could cope on her own and sent him away. He invited her to stay with them again that evening but she refused.

Becky was changed by her new loss. She moped around for two weeks after the funeral doing little and letting herself go. Pete worried about her. He called and visited her every day as did many of her friends and acquaintances. Slowly she began to perk up.

The third Saturday after her mother died Becky again showed up at Pete's home to help with the old car. Pete told her she didn't need to do that and Becky said, "Pete I know I don't have to help you. Like I told you before I WANT to help you. Now I really need something to do to keep busy. I almost came out several days this week but I didn't want to intrude. Now can I please just get to work here?" To Pete's surprise and his pleasure she was almost smiling while she harangued him.

"OK, fine. I've been chomping at the bit to get her put back together. I've done about all the one man jobs I can. You feel like wrestling the body back together today? Maybe we can even get the interior finished soon to and take her for a spin."

They worked most of the day and got almost all the body back together. Becky agreed to return Monday and they would finish the body and begin with the interior. She was almost as excited to finish as Pete was.

Finally in early August Pete pronounced the car completed. He pulled it from the shop and parked it under the shade tree they usually sat under. He and Becky stood back and admired the glistening muscle car. When they heard it running his parents came onto the porch also. They all stood and admired the car while they listened to the throaty rumble of the idling engine.

After receiving his parent's approval Pete unthinkingly wrapped his arm around Becky's waist and pulled her to his side. He looked down at her and asked, "So, ya want to take her for a spin?" Becky looked up at him, smiled and nodded her head yes.

Pete and Becky separated and he watched her as she rushed around the front of the car. She opened the passenger door and slid inside. Pete rapidly slid behind the wheel. He put the 4 speed in low and they took off with a mighty roar. When he turned onto the highway he tapped the accelerator and chirped the tires. He got another chirp when he hit second gear. Becky looked over at him, smiled and rubbed her two index fingers together in the 'naughty, naughty' motion.

Pete laughed and said, "I know but I can't help it. This is just so perfect."

Pete and Becky made the rounds of town. They stopped at all three of his best friends homes to show off his new baby and even hit two of her best female friends. It was almost dark when they pulled into the local burger joint for supper. It took them forever to get into the building because of all the admirers they had to talk to. Both of them were smiling so widely it was almost painful.

They didn't leave the burger joint until almost ten p.m. Both of them were on a real high all the way back to Pete's home. After they arrived they stood in his driveway talking for several minutes. Becky put her hand on his arm and said, "Oh, Pete. I'm almost sorry we're done. I really enjoyed putting her back together. Now I don't know what to do with my free time."

Pete looked at Becky and grinned. He said, "Well I guess we'll just have to do it all over again."

"WHAT? You surely don't mean you want to take her apart again and do something else?"

Pete laughed and said, "Well no but you said you wanted to paint and freshen up your car. Now we have room here in the shop to do that." Pete looked sort of sad then and continued, "Or don't you want to? I thought we could just do it but if you don't want to."

Becky smiled widely and broke into his conversation. She said, "NO. I mean YES! I want to. I just didn't think about doing my car here also. When can we start? You know I start school again next week then the week after the students arrive. I will only have Saturdays to work again."

For the next seven weeks every Saturday Pete and Becky tore down her old Malibu. She had opted for a modified Frame off restoration. She did not intend to replace brake or fuel lines unless they were damaged and was going to paint the frame instead of powder coat it. She still had not decided if she was going to redo the interior or not. Most of the planned restoration was worn mechanical parts and a complete repainting.

On Veterans Day Pete was working on some of the farm machinery when his phone rang. He didn't recognize the number but it was one from town. He answered the phone and heard, "Daddy?" Sniff, sniff. "Daddy can you pick me up please? I need you please Daddy."

"Winona? Is that you Honey? Where are you?"

"I'm at some grungy little bar downtown."

"Downtown where Winona? Where are you?"

"Van Buren Daddy. I'm here. Please come get me. I don't know what to do!"

Is the lady behind the bar named Ginnie Winona?"

Pete heard conversation in the background and then Winona said, "Yes Daddy. She said that was her name."

"Ok. Stay there. I'll be there in about ten minutes."

Pete ran out to his truck and turned toward town. He wondered what the problem was and why Winona had come to him after more than three years of ignoring him and his attempts to see her. No matter. Even as disappointed as he was with her and as badly as she had acted she was still his little girl and she needed him now.

Pete pulled his truck up in front of the bar and rushed inside. Ginnie was talking to a pale poorly groomed young woman. They both looked at the door when they heard it open. Pete walked up to them. He was almost to them when he recognized Winona. Her hair was dirty looking and stringy. Her clothes were dingy and threadbare. This was certainly not the same young woman he had last seen at their home in St. Louis before his divorce.

Winona stood before him. She was almost shaking. Pete didn't know if she was scared, sick or both. He looked at her and heard her almost whisper, "Daddy?"

Pete felt something inside shift. He held his arms out and reached for Winona, his now 22 year old daughter. She rushed into his arms and wrapped her arms around him. He could feel her tears wetting his shirt.

Pete turned toward the door with Winona still in his arms. He said over his shoulder, "Thanks Ginnie. I'll catch ya later."

Pete stopped beside his truck and looked down at Winona. He asked, "Where's your bags Honey?"

Winona looked up at him then quickly glanced down in shame. She just held out a small back pack then crawled into his truck.

Pete tried to talk to her on the trip home. He mostly got no answer or only small simple replies to his questions. Finally in disgust he gave up.

When they got back to the farm Winona meekly followed him into the house. Pauline yelled from the kitchen as they were walking into the room, "Where did you go so fast Pete? You tore out of here like your ass was on fire." His mother turned to fully face them and stopped in shock. Her eyes got large and she almost whispered, "Winona. Oh, my God. What are you doing here Honey? Oh, it's so good to see you again."

Winona began crying and moved into her grandmother's arms. They just held each other for several moments. Pauline looked over Winona's shoulder at Pete and raised her eyebrows."

Pete grimaced and shrugged his shoulders then showed his hands palm up.

Pauline said, "Well never mind. Come on Honey. Let's get you cleaned up then I'll finish supper. You look like you're exhausted and starving to death."

Finally later that evening after the supper mess was cleared away Winona began explaining herself. She guiltily admitted she had dropped out of college and taken up with her old boyfriend. They had lived the good life dancing and partying at the club on his small inheritance. He had been given a job at his father's company but lost it just after she found out she was pregnant. They had been arguing and she ran from the house they were living in. She fell on the steps and caused her miscarriage. Their relationship never survived the job loss and miscarriage.

She moved back in with her mother but they now no longer got along. Her mother felt she had disgraced her by getting pregnant and not marrying the child's father. She and Cindy were always fighting during the year she lived with her before her mother's remarriage. After the marriage it got worse. Her step father was rude and obnoxious (according to Winona) and they didn't get along. He finally made things so uncomfortable Winona moved out to live with friends. When she couldn't pay her share of the bills because she couldn't find permanent work they finally kicked her out. Cindy wouldn't let her move back in with her and her husband. During the time they were gone she and her new man had taken out a line of credit on Cindy's paid for home to invest in a sure thing.

The sure thing failed to materialize and they lost the house. Cindy and her soon to be ex husband moved into low rent apartments. There was no room for Winona even if they would take her in. Wynona finally gave up and decided to see if her father would help. She had no way to phone and it had taken her three days to hitch hike from St. Louis to Van Buren.