Give Me the Man Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well?" said Leara.

He nodded. "Aye, I have it," he said, then started at a commotion outside. Arla sprang to her feet and looked quickly out of the door.

"Invaders," she said. "Coming this way!" she said, shutting the door quickly. She pulled at a rug, revealing a trapdoor. "Quick, it leads to the river." She hauled at the trapdoor and Ardan sprang to help her. Beneath the trapdoor a ladder led down into darkness. Ardan signalled to Leara and she quickly started down.

"Arla," said Ardan, "now you."

She shook her head. "Someone must stall them. I don't know what you're doing but I know it's important to the freedom of Ha'ar, from what little your Leara would tell me. Go. I'll put the rug back over the trap. Not many know of it, so I should be able to stall them. Go! Hurry!"

Ardan stared at her for a moment then sprang to the trapdoor, quickly scrambling down the ladder, almost getting his skirts tangled in his boots. Above him the light suddenly went as Arla closed the trapdoor. He paused.

"Two more steps and you're down," Leara said quietly. "Watch your step, it's slippery." As he stepped down she groped for his hand, squeezing it fiercely. "This way," she whispered, pulling gently at his hand.

Hand in hand they stumbled in the dark, not knowing what was around them, but feeling their way along the damp walls, until growing light indicated they were coming to the end of the tunnel. It was early evening now, and the light was dim, but they reached the end of the tunnel and peered cautiously out. They were on a ledge. To their right, a ladder led up to the quay. Carefully, Ardan climbed and peered over. No one! He signalled to Leara, who followed him onto the quay. Quietly they moved towards the street which would lead them back to the guesting house.

"Stop!" said Leara urgently. "Your wig's slipping." She straightened it and as they prepared to move a squad of invaders came around the corner. Ardan was searching frantically for somewhere to hide when a hiss stopped him. A slender arm beckoned and he grabbed Leara's hand as they hurried across to the open doorway, dashing through as the figure hurriedly closed it behind them.

The three figures paused, listening as the patrol moved past, breathing more easily as it continued on its way. Ardan turned to see their rescuer more clearly. He grinned.

"What's so funny?" the boy asked, scowling.

"We've met before, but the last time you were flat on your back with my sword at your throat."

"You!" the boy spat. "You spoiled a good take."

"But your accomplice got you away."

"And I'll do it again, if I have to," said the girl, appearing from behind some crates.

Ardan smiled gently at the two thieves, the boy a bare fifteen, he thought, the girl a year or so younger. "The lady said to let you get away," he said mildly.

"Huh! You'd never have caught me."

"Perhaps not, but then there was nobody yelling 'thief', was there?"

The boy scowled, but said nothing. Leara had been watching from a tiny window, and she turned to them. The boy recoiled. "Shards! It's the woman's daughter, too!"

Leara smiled. "We got Mama's purse back, but you got away; you saved our lives, now we get away. Fair?"

The boy scowled again, but nodded. The girl half-smiled.

"We have to get back to the guesting house just inside the West gate. Any back ways we can use?"

"What's it worth?"

Ardan looked at him. "Your life, your sister's life, maybe - "

"How'd you know I was his sister?" The question was abrupt.

Leara laughed. "The two of you should stand side by side in front of a mirror sometime."

Silence, then, "Oh."

"Back ways?" Ardan reminded them.

"Follow me."

* * * * *

It took a while, but they reached the guesting house without running into any patrols. Ardan turned to thank the two youngsters, but they were gone, lost in the night. Vella and Lori were waiting for them, with Dela Hal, who locked the doors as soon as they were inside.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" Vella asked.

"We did."

"What next?" Lori asked. "I still want to find my husband."

"He's very probably at this mine we heard about, an hour downriver?" Ardan raised an interrogative eyebrow to Vella, who nodded.

"An hour is what we heard, certainly," she said.

"You have the horse, Lori. I wish you well, but we cannot go with you." Ardan gave Lori a sympathetic smile.

"I know. I'll go alone."

"No. I'll go with you," said Vella. "These things don't seem to mind the women being around, they just take no notice. Will your horse carry two?"

"It should," said Ardan. "The outlaw who had it was big, the two of you together will probably only mass the same."

"What about you and Leara?"

"We'll head out about midnight, try to get at least part of the way to the Tower before light."

"What's at the tower?" Vella asked, curious.

"We don't know. All we know is that there is a cache of weapons, Terran weapons - I suppose I should say our weapons now - which my grandfather says can help us defeat these invaders."

"In that case," said Lori, "may the Goddess protect you and bring you safe to your journey's end."

"When are you two planning to leave?" Ardan asked Lori. She looked at Vella, who shrugged. Dela Hal, who had been an interested, although silent, bystander, stood. They all looked at her. She smiled.

"I'm going to make some tea," she said. "We can drink it while you're all making your minds up." She turned to Vella. "Give me a hand?"

The women went out and after a moment Lori followed them. Leara looked at Ardan, her lip caught between her teeth.

"What is it?" he asked.

"The Tower. How high?"

Ardan thought for a moment. "About five thousand feet, I think. Too much of it sheer."

"That's what I thought. We have about five hundred feet of rope, and I don't remember seeing any ledges where we can bivouac, although that might be because we've only seen it from below. I don't see us climbing it in darkness, so we need to start up at first light. Agreed?"

"With you so far."

"It's a half day ride to the Tower in daylight, so it will be the morning after tomorrow before we start the climb. I wish there were more of us."

"We'll ask Fra Hal."

"Ask Fra Hal what?" said the woman in question, returning with a tray on which were steaming mugs of tea.

"Whether there are any climbers around. We could use help."

"Are there any Guides, or Guards?" said Lori. She frowned. "Or have they all been taken?"

"All the Guides I know of are taken or killed," said Dela Hal.

"Guides," said Ardan, excited suddenly, "I wonder. Fra Hal, do you know the location of the armourer, Peralon Traln?"

"Indeed I do, but he is no climber."

"No," said Ardan, "but his nephew is, and his nephew was staying for an eightday. He may just be there."

"You want to know if he is there?"

"I do. I don't want Leara to risk being taken, nor myself. It is much to ask, I know."

Dela Hal put her hand on his arm. "Fro Tearo, hush. The risk you and the lass are taking outweighs any I might take going to Peralon Traln's house. I should be there and back within the hour."

"Thank you. Lori, if Jandol is there, I'm going to have to ask you to let him have your horse. I'm sorry."

Lori shook her head. "The camp is but an hour's walk. I'll manage that."

"We'll manage," said Vella.

The wait for Dela Hal's return was strained, for no one knew what risks she might be taking, but it must have been almost exactly an hour when the door opened and two women came in. Ardan jumped to his feet, a broad grin on his face.

"Jandol! You were there!"

"Aye, Ardan, and sick of hiding. When Fra Hal told me what you planned, I came immediately. Have you a spare horse? That is my only concern."

"We do, courtesy of a dead outlaw, and Lori, there."

"My thanks," said Jandol. "Can I discard this women's clothing yet?"

"For now, yes. We set off at midnight, try to reach the Tower for dawn."

"Why are we going to the Gray Tower? Fra Hal didn't say."

"Weapons, Jandol. Terran weapons. Cached for just such an emergency as this."

"Why on top of the Tower," said Jandol, a puzzled look on his face.

Ardan frowned. "It bothers me a little, too. The explanation may lie within the cache."

Leara, who had been quietly listening, put her hand on Ardan's arm. "You're forgetting your manners."

Ardan flushed, reaching for her hand and squeezing her fingers. "My apologies. Leara, may I introduce to you Jandol Traln, fellow Guide trainee and my very good friend. Jan, this is Leara Asolan, the best climber I have ever known. She has already saved me from these alien things by virtue of her skill. She will be leading our climb."

"Your servant, Fral Asolan," said Jandol with a smile. "I'm glad we have someone who can lead. I can follow with the best, but climbing lead is not something I am over-skilled with."

"My name is Leara," she said with a smile, "and if you are Ardan's friend, Jandol, you are mine, too." She turned to Ardan. "We must rest. You and Jandol take one of the rooms. With your permission, Fra Hal?"

"Of course. You take yourself off, too, lass. We three will keep our eyes on the night and wake you for your journey."

Midnight was clear and cold, both moons being near full. Ardan, Jandol and Leara were sipping tea when the door opened and Vella slipped in.

"All clear, so far as I can see," she said. "No patrols in this part of town. Probably because they already have all of the men."

"Let's go," said Ardan. "Time to be a woman again, Jan."

"Only briefly, I hope."

Mounted, they moved quietly through the night, walking the horses, their hooves muffled in rags. Once clear of the town, the trail was open enough and the moonlight bright enough to lift the pace to a trot. When daylight crept into the night, blushing the distant peaks with rose, they were only a few miles short of their destination, the disguises stored in saddlebags. Ardan signalled to his companions and drew his horse to a halt.

"We'd better scout when we reach the Tower, make sure there are no nasty surprises. When we get there, Jan, you go left. We'll go right. We'll meet at the far side. If it's all clear, we'll move in closer. If you see any keeta, Jan, leave them alone. They won't harm you."

"Keeta, you say. I've never seen one. Are you saying you have?

"We have," said Leara. "There's a family living here. They're friendly enough to us, because Ardan saved one of them from a trap."

"I'll tell you about that some other time, Jan. For the moment, we need to scout."

"See you at the far side." Jandol walked his horse away into the fading night.

"Come on," said Ardan. "Watch for anything untoward."

The sun crept up as they rode. They saw nothing, but suddenly Ardan felt a touch on his mind, a warning. Startled, he looked at Leara, whose face mirrored his own surprise. "You felt it?" he asked. "A touch on your mind?"

"Yes," she said, "but what?"

A rustle in the long grass beside them gave the first clue as the keeta stepped into view. Again that touch on his mind, a fleeting vision of armour clad invaders, a flying machine, figures relaxing, waiting. He looked at the keeta, then at Leara. "Invaders, a flying machine on the ground. Over . . . there," he said, pointing.

Leara nodded, a bewildered expression on her face. "Are we getting that from the keeta?" she asked slowly.

Aalric looked at the adult cat, which looked back at him over its shoulder. A flash of agreement came to him. "Yes," he said. "We're getting it from the keeta."

"Jandol! What about him?"

"Keep moving round. Keeta," he said, his voice low. "My friend is out there too, on a horse. Is he in danger?" Feeling slightly stupid, he waited while the cat concentrated its attention elsewhere. In a moment or two reassurance came, tinged with caution. "He's alright at the moment, eh?" Again, reassurance.

"Lea, keep moving. Quiet as a mouse. We should meet up with Jandol within the hour. At least we have the night behind us now and the sun in front."

They moved off into the dark and in no time it seemed they were approaching Jandol, who kept looking behind him.

"Anything?" Asked Ardan.

Jandol shook his head. "Only this fella," he said, indicating the keeta cub which followed him.

"There's a flying machine landed over on the other side. Mama keeta warned us in time. We need to know what they're doing." He looked at the adult keeta, which went over to the cub. In a moment, the cub loped away into the dark. "I think we have a scout," said Ardan.

They waited, but in the end they didn't need the reassurance they felt from the keeta for they saw the flying machine lift and move off towards Jalx, almost silent in the dawn.

"I wonder if they've left any behind?" said Jandol. Almost instantly, Ardan felt the negative in his mind.

"The keeta says no." He urged his horse into a walk. "Come on, we need to get started."

As they unpacked the climbing gear at the foot of the crack Leara thought would be a possible route, Jandol whistled in surprise. "What is this?"

"Terran," said Ardan. "From my grandfather's hoard."

"Your grandfather's Terran?" Surprise in Jandol's voice.

"He is. Apparently I'm half-Terran," Ardan said lightly.

Jandol squinted at him, then grinned. "It doesn't show."

"According to Grandfather it shouldn't. He believes we originate from common stock, from somewhere else in the galaxy altogether."

"Interesting theory, but best discussed on another occasion, I think. How much rope have we got?"

"Two climbing ropes, about two hundred and fifty feet each, and a lighter line we can use to haul stuff.

"Ardan," said Leara,"I'll take the small knapsack, use it to carry the pegs and those jammer things. The hammer will hang from my belt. I'll pay the rope out behind me and belay it with pegs and slings, and these spring-ring contraptions. When I find a stance, I'll bring you up, then I'll go on ahead while you belay me again. When I reach the second stance, I'll wait while you bring Jandol up to you, then he can wait while you come up to me and we'll repeat the whole thing again. We only have a limited number of pegs. Jandol can extract them and bring them up with him. Does that make sense?"

Jandol nodded. "It does," said Ardan. "Ready?"

Leara took a deep breath, then hugged Ardan. She raised her lips and they kissed, a kiss of promise, of love, their emotions somehow heightened. Reluctantly they broke apart. Leara gave Jandol a brief but fierce hug and fastened the rope to her waist harness.

"Okay?" said Ardan. She nodded. "Go!"

Leara made good time at first, moving smoothly up the rock, neat and coordinated. Ardan, carefully paying out the rope, found himself admiring her grace and the lovely shape of her bottom as she moved. Such reverie came to a rude end when she was a hundred feet up. About three or four feet above a belay point she had just made with a peg, a handhold gave way and she fell, jolting to an uncomfortable halt as Ardan braced himself to take the strain.

"Lea?" he called, "are you all right?"

She paused for a moment, regaining her footing then, incredibly, grinned down at him. "I must be getting careless," she called. "I'm fine." She started moving again and was soon at the full extent of the available rope. She made a secure belay point and anchored herself. "Ready," she yelled.

"Okay, Jandol, see you up there," said Ardan. "Climbing now," he yelled up the face. As he climbed he marvelled at how Leara had seen the route she'd chosen. He was skilled enough to climb in her footsteps, but not experienced enough to recognise the best options. At one point he thought she had chosen wrong, only to see his own choice peter out thirty feet higher. The rock was almost unrelentingly steep and he was relieved when he joined Leara on the tiny shelf where she waited. Her eyes were bright and she grinned at him.

"Best climb I've done for ages." She sobered. "I wish we were doing it just for pleasure."

Ardan snorted. "If we were, I'm not sure I'd be here!" He belayed himself and looked around. Not much to see, for up, down and to either side was rock. Steep, unforgiving, rock. Jandol was a tiny figure below. He turned to Leara. "Bring Jandol up or belay you?"

"Bring him up. I could use the rest. The ledge is big enough for three. Just."

A little while later a sweating Jandol joined them, festooned with spring-links, slings and pegs. He belayed himself and took a deep breath. "Shards, but that was steep. Leara, you left these," he said, and grinned, handing over his collection."

"Why, thank you, sir. I think I might need them." She gave Ardan a brief kiss. "Here we go again!"

The pattern was repeated over and over again and the day was well into evening by the time the climb eased. They still weren't at the top, but they could see that the way ahead was easier. Leara gestured.

"This ledge is big enough for two of us to rest on; the one just above us, for one. Wrap up warm and fasten ourselves securely, and we might even be able to sleep." She shook her head. "Trying to go on in the dark would be foolhardy."

"I'll take the upper," said Jandol. "You two can snuggle together."

Ardan aimed a mock punch at him, grinning, but he helped his friend climb the few feet to the upper ledge. He and Leara made a pad of one of their blankets and laid it down. After making sure the pegs they were using as anchors were firmly fastened, they tied themselves on. Ardan put their other blanket about their shoulders and he and Leara sat down, with her leaning back slightly against him. Ardan pulled the blanket more tightly around them and slipped his arms around her waist. He kissed her ear.

"On another occasion, this would have been a wonderful adventure. Now all I can think about is our families, our friends, and what those invaders might be doing," he said quietly.

Leara sighed. "I know. All the more reason to find these Terran weapons and get them to anyone able to fight with us."

"We could have problems," said Ardan. "Any instructions will be in Terran. It might be the language of the people I come from, but I can't read it."

"Did your grandfather have any suggestions?"

"Be very careful about anything that looks like a weapon and make sure it isn't pointed anywhere near anyone else when it's tested." Ardan shrugged, almost invisible in the gathering dark but Leara could feel the movement. "We'll find out soon enough. How much further, do you think?"

Leara made a face. "It looked to be about three hundred feet, but it's broken and could be loose, which is why I didn't want to push on in the dark. We might easily have fallen and I'm not sure any pegs would have held."

"We'll move on as soon as it's light enough. It's still summer, so it will be early."

"Ardan!" Jandol called from above, his tone urgent. "Look North. Isn't that one of those flying machines the invaders use?"

"It is. Keep still if it comes anywhere near. They seem to have an uncanny way of detecting movement."

They watched as the machine came closer. It seemed to be moving aimlessly and was getting closer than they had ever seen one. It was flying at about the same height that they had reached on their climb and Ardan watched, heart pounding, as it came closer. The machine was moving slowly and as it neared them they could detect a faint hum. Unlike some of the troop-carrying machines they had seen earlier, this one seemed to be for carrying freight, or ammunition, bulky things, for it was effectively a flying raft. Flat deck, low sides and an open control position at one end. The figure at the controls was slumped and they thought they could see arrows or the like piercing it.

"Ardan, I think that invader who's flying that thing has been shot by our people," Jandol called down. "It doesn't appear to be under control. In fact I think it's going to collide with the Tower."