Give Me the Man Pt. 07

Story Info
The fight against the alien invaders continues.
5.2k words
4.81
7k
13

Part 7 of the 11 part series

Updated 03/28/2024
Created 08/26/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,368 Followers

My apologies for the long delay - like six years! - in posting this next part of the 'Give me the Man' opus, but I'm afraid I've had serious health problems which, for quite some time caused me to reappraise things, and I just haven't been writing. I've decided however that an hour or so of creativity every now and then can only be a Good Thing so I've been rummaging around amongst my unfinished pieces. And there are just too darned many of those! However, I managed to get this part completed, so here it is! There's a lot more of the story to tell, but I'll try to keep plugging on. Don't hold your breath!

* * * * *

Give Me the Man, Pt. 07

They rested easily after the invaders' flying machine had gone, relaxed, knowing that the keeta would warn them if there was any danger. Cautious, they kept their voices down and talked quietly, about anything and everything, exchanging the occasional kiss. Their weapons were at hand, just in case, but even in the short time they'd been acquainted with the keeta, Ardan and Leara had learned to trust the animals' instincts.

The two big cats were laying nearby, as relaxed as the two humans, but the male stiffened, staring into the darkness. He glanced across at the two humans and gave a low growl, alerting them, but Ardan felt no sense of warning, no indication of impending danger. He glanced at Leara, who shook her head. The keeta was looking towards the trail which Leara had used and a few minutes later they heard the sound of men stumbling through the trees in the dark. Where Ardan and Leara were, the moons were bright enough to cast a faint light and Ardan signed to Leara that she should take up position behind a tree. He moved behind another and was surprised to feel a keeta rub against his leg. The animal was facing toward the oncoming men and a few moments later a figure moved cautiously into the clearing, followed almost immediately by two others. They paused.

"Stop there. Identify yourself," said Ardan, although he was almost certain he knew. Beside him the keeta gave a low growl and the new arrivals were instantly on guard. Two had bows, the leader an invaders' tube weapon.

"Porl Vellik, of Ansel Crossing," said the leader. "Ardan, is that you? I knew Leara had returned, from the scout. He found us before he was halfway to camp, so I came straight here."

Ardan stepped forward, away from the tree as Leara also moved towards Vellik. "Well come, Porl."

Vellik moved warily towards Ardan, his eyes on the two keeta. Ardan grinned. "Relax, Porl, the keeta are friends. They warned us of an invaders' flying machine not an hour ago.

Vellik gave a wry smile. "I thought they were myth until now." He shook his head in bemusement and moved closer to where Ardan stood, his hand outstretched in welcome. "I have a garbled tale of weapons and flying machines," said Vellik, clasping Ardan's hand with his own. "Is it true?"

"Aye. We captured two of the invaders' flying machines, and found the cache of Terran weapons. We also found a Terran flyer, so Leara and I came here and my friend Jandol took the third to his own people, at Tanart's Hold."

Vellik stared at them. "You captured two of the enemy fliers? Just the two of you?"

"There were three of us. My friend Jandol, from Tanart's Hold, was in Jalx. He came with us."

"Enough for now, but I'd like to hear the full tale sometime. You say you bring weapons?" said Vellik, his tone urgent.

"Yes, we do."

"How many?"

"Twenty of those invader tube weapons. We also have Terran projectile weapons, thirty long ones and ten hand, with projectiles, and twenty Terran energy weapons. Be warned, Porl, those things are deadly. Lea will show you. We also have one of the Terran's large weapons, too big to be carried, but it would mount well on a wall. Those weapons are for the Hinazi, and we have the same again for the people at Vilna Station."

"Praise the Goddess, Ardan, but that is good news. Things go badly for us. We have lost near a third of our fighters, some dead, but more captured. I think I can call on scarce fifty, and you bring me over seventy weapons."

"What about the women?" said Leara, speaking for the first time. "The energy weapons are quite light and easy to handle."

Porl Vellik smiled. "Fral Asolan," he said, "those weapons will be the reason that your mother stops hounding me to give her and her sisters weapons. Now, I can." Vellik turned back to Ardan. "Will these flying machines travel at night?"

"If we can see, they can travel," said Leara, and Ardan nodded affirmation.

Vellik turned to Leara. "Can you find your way to the ford, where the mountain road crosses the Uppar Water?"

"Yes, I believe I can. You want us there?"

"Aye, lass, and as soon as you're able." He turned to the two men accompanying him. "Lorn, you go with Ardan. You know where the Vilna Station people are. Ardan, Lornal will guide you to your people."

"Aye, that I can." The man held out his hand and took Ardan's in a firm grasp. "Lornal Held."

"Ardan Tearo. Held? Bran's kin?"

"Cousin. You know Bran?"

"We met at Ellor's Ford. He and Elmana were safe then. I don't know if they are now."

"I don't think the invaders went there," said Held. "Shall we go? The sooner I get you to your people, the sooner I get back and fight with mine." He turned to Leara. "Fral Asolan, may I have a weapon? I know the invaders' tube things, one of those saves me a learning period."

Porl Vellik turned to Held. "Take mine, I'll get another from the flyer. Here, catch!"

Ardan went across to Leara and took her in his arms. He kissed her gently. "I will come for you as soon as I am able," he said.

"Be sure you do," she said. "I have a bed that needs keeping warm."

"Fra Asolan," said Vellik, and Ardan realised he had understood and used the honorific used addressing a woman, rather than a girl, "we should go."

Leara pulled away from Ardan. "See you," she said.

Ardan tried to smile. "See you." He turned to move across to the Terran flyer and began to pull the camouflaging branches from it. Held helped him and as soon as it was clear Ardan took the controls; Held made himself comfortable in the seat next to the control station. Ardan whistled and Held started as the male keeta sprang aboard. He stared at it.

"That's a keeta?" he asked.

"Aye, it is."

"I thought they were just legends."

"So did I until I saved it from a rockfall. And yes, that's a female keeta with Leara. They seem to make a bond with a human of the same sex as themselves." And enhance the sexual experience by sharing it, he said to himself, suddenly understanding how he and Leara had experienced such passion. He sensed amused agreement from the keeta, along with a sense of remembered pleasure.

"Hold on," he said and moved the flyer out of the clearing, lifting it above the trees.

"Will this thing go over the ridge?" Held asked, staring about in awe.

"Easily," said Ardan.

"That's the best way. Once we're over, go for the head-end of the Uppar valley. Your people are hiding in the forest in the high valley, those of them that haven't been killed or captured."

"Do you know who's there? My father? Mother? My sister?"

"Your father, yes, the last I heard. The others, I don't know. I'm sorry, I wish I could tell you more."

"We'll be there soon enough." Ardan pushed the direction lever forward and the flyer picked up speed. "I'll know then."

It took the flyer only twenty minutes to cover the ground that Ardan and Leara had struggled over. The moons were well up and both being near full there was enough light to navigate by. They were approaching the upper valley, thick forest beneath them when a shot was fired from below, missing narrowly. Ardan was startled at the shot, but the self-preservation instinct kicked in and he pulled the flyer violently sideways, yelling down into the dark below, "Don't shoot. We're friends!"

No answer and he quickly flew the flyer away from the area. He took it down to treetop level and hovered, turning to Held.

"I think they think it's an invader craft."

"You're right. But a single shot?" Held shrugged. "I would have expected more."

"Are you suggesting that it wasn't my people?"

"I don't know. There may be some invaders in the forest."

"Lost?"

"Possibly," said Held. "That shot might have been a signal, not an attempt to hit the flyer."

What to do, Ardan mused. If he was going to get shot at, it would be too dangerous. Held touched his arm.

"Set me down," he said. "I'm a good woodsman, I can get through. If I do, we can make a signal." He frowned. "We need one you can see."

Ardan pointed. "In the back, there, you'll find three containers with round things in, three different colours, each with locking pins. One is plain green. That's explosive. One is red and has a single stripe. That's a flare. It gives a strong white light for several minutes. Hold it high enough and I'll see it. The blue has two stripes. That one is a smoke producer. It gives off clouds of thick smoke. I should be able to see that clearly in daylight. You operate them by pulling the safety locking pin out. Take one of each of them, but be careful of the explosive one. Once you pull the pin out you have about three seconds before it explodes. Got it?"

"Yes. Green, explosive, three seconds delay. Red, one stripe, white light. Blue, two stripes, smoke."

"That's it. Going down now. You might have to jump the last few feet. The undergrowth is a little thick to set down."

A few seconds later Held was on his way. A little to the East, about a hundred paces, Ardan spotted a bald-topped mound and set the flyer down. He checked that his energy gun was handy and settled himself to wait. The keeta lay down beside him, awake, watchful, but he sensed no alarm from the big cat.

* * * * *

It must have been almost an hour later when a bright light appeared to the North-West. He quickly started up the flyer and in a few minutes was hovering over a clearing. A familiar figure waved at him to set down and moments later his father was hugging him.

"Ardan, it's so good so see you, son." Gerlan took him by the shoulders. "Your mother will be relieved."

"You're all safe? Held didn't know."

Gerlan's face clouded and Ardan's heart sank. "They took your grandfather. Sana let herself be captured so she could look after him. She'd cut her hair and was dressed as a boy and I think they took her for one. So far they seem to be well, for we have scouts as close to the prisoners as we can."

"The sooner we fight back, the sooner we rescue them," said Ardan.

"Aye, son. The weapons I sincerely hope you brought may turn the tide for us. We managed to capture seven of their tube weapons. What have you brought?"

"Another twenty of their tubes, plus Terran projectile weapons, thirty long ones and ten hand, with projectiles, and twenty Terran energy weapons. There's also a large weapon, too big to be carried, but a wall would make a good mount for it."

"We have a nest of rocks up there," Gerlan said, pointing up the hillside. "Two men with tubes guard it night and day, because that's where the food and medicines are. Anything else? That flare you sent was a good idea."

"I have fifty explosive spheres, thirty each of the flares and the smoke makers."

"Goddess be praised," said Gerlan. "We have a chance to fight back!"

By daylight they had the large weapon mounted in the rocks. Gerlan had picked the men to receive the weapons and Ardan was teaching them to use them. Like the Hinazi, Ardan's own people had lost many to the invaders and there was an urgent desire for the ability to fight back, so his groups of men and women learned quickly, and learned well. After he showed them how profligate the projectile weapon was on automatic, they all selected single shot and learned to make each shot count. They allowed five rounds per man or woman for practice, hoarding the ammunition for use against their real enemy.

By evening that first day everyone who had been issued with a weapon had learned how to use it. There was an air of excited anticipation in the camp as they discussed the best methods of bringing the battle to the enemy. Ardan was accepted as being the flyer pilot, but - just in case - he trained one of the girls to fly it and she became his co-pilot. Jeni was newly-married, her husband a prisoner, and her determination to work for his freedom was inspiring. Ardan and Jeni practiced fast take-offs and landings, simulated emergencies and generally tested the Terran flyer to its limit. One thing worried Ardan. How long would the flyer function? He kept his doubts to himself.

Next day had been selected for their first mission, but Ardan and Jeni took Gerlan - and Lornal Held - over the ridge to the Hinazi camp in the dark of evening. Leara was there and ran into his arms as he landed. They stood, just holding one another, until Gerlan coughed. Laughing, they separated.

"Apologies, Fro Tearo," said Leara, but Gerlan shook his head.

"No, lass," he said, "it is I who should apologise. No sooner do I reunite you than I separate you again, for Ardan and I must return before first light. We seek Porl Vellik."

"This way."

Ardan and Gerlan spent two hours discussing the events for the next day with Alna and Porl Vellik and his deputies, and when Ardan and Gerlan returned to the flyer there was a spring in their step, for each group felt that they had a chance to take the battle to the enemy. Ardan hugged Leara and kissed her.

"Take care, tomorrow," he said, for like himself, Leara was acting as flyer pilot. She too had a co-pilot. In Lea's case a taciturn widow called Bel Assol.

"You, too," said Leara, clinging to him for a moment. She released him and Alna stepped forward, hugging him and kissing his cheek.

"Be safe, son," she said.

"I will, mother," he said quietly, and her eyes widened.

"Have you asked her?"

"Not yet. I seek your blessing first."

"You have it, but Ardan, ask her now, don't wait."

"Are you sure?"

Alna nodded. "Believe me, son. Now is the time." She turned to her daughter. "Lea? Come here a moment," she said, and Leara came across from where she had been talking to Porl Vellik.

"Yes, Mama?" she said, but Alna smiled and indicated Ardan. Leara turned to him, her expression expectant.

"Leara n'Alna, House Asolan," said Ardan formally. "Will you marry me?"

Leara's eyes filled with tears, but her smile was radiant. "Yes," she said. "Now, if it were possible. As soon as we can, as it isn't." She raised her lips for his kiss. "Don't get killed," she muttered, "for I'll never forgive you if you do!"

Alna reached out and folded them both into her embrace. "Be careful, both of you," she said.

Ardan nodded and Leara smiled at her mother. "I will, I promise."

"Go, with the Goddess's blessing."

As they flew back over the ridge, with Jeni at the controls, Ardan told his father. "I asked Leara to marry me. She said yes."

Gerlan smiled. "Your mother will be pleased. I take it the wedding is postponed for the moment?"

Ardan gave his father a rueful smile. "Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"As soon as you get the chance, son, take it, even if the families cannot be there. War is no time to wait."

"It might be some time, father, with each of us acting as pilot of our only flying machines."

"As soon as we capture more, assuming we can, I'd like the two of you to go back to the tower for more weapons. Medical supplies, too, if there are any."

"There are a lot of different things there, father. We only scratched the surface, because we were looking specifically for weapons." He grimaced. "We left many weapons in the cache, because we had no idea of the lifting capacity of the flyers when they're loaded.

"Well, we can do some tests. We'll need to see how many men the flyer can lift in any event, because that might determine the size of a strike force. Are you ready for the morning?"

"As much as I'll ever be. I only wish it was now. The waiting is terrible."

Jeni turned around. "Almost there."

Dheera was waiting when they landed, hot drinks ready for them. Gerlan took his and took a deep draught. "Ahh, yes. " He kissed his wife. "Ardan has something to tell you," he said and walked off.

"Yes?" said Dheera. "What is it? You've asked Leara to marry you?"

Ardan nodded, surprised. "Yes."

"Good. Do it as soon as you can, son. War doesn't wait for the right time."

Ardan gave his mother a wry grin. "That's what father said."

"It's true," said Dheera, linking her arm with her son's.

"How did you guess?" said Ardan. "About Leara and me."

"I saw the way you were with each other. I knew it was only a matter of time. Have you made love to her yet?"

"That, Mother, is none of your business."

"Which means 'yes'. I'm a woman, I know these things. Get some rest, son. It will be time soon enough."

The dawn was giving the horizon only the merest hint of the coming day when the attack party assembled, yawning and grumbling in the eternal tradition of soldiers everywhere. Ardan reflected whimsically that probably even the invaders grumbled. He went on board the flyer. Jeni was waiting, nervously watching the keeta which was sprawled across the pilot seat.

"Off, you," said Ardan, giving it a nudge. The keeta ambled across the deck and lay itself down across the pile of supplies in the rear. Jeni watched it in fascination, then settled herself in the co-pilot seat.

"I always thought they were a myth," she said.

"Me too, until I saved him from a rockfall. His mother led me to him."

The clatter of boots called an end to the conversation as Gerlan and the twenty men selected for the first operation boarded the flyer. Experimentation had indicated that more than twenty got in each other's way. Although the tests they'd carried out had shown that the flyer was capable of lifting forty or more, more than twenty was asking for trouble in a combat environment. Gerlan came forward to Ardan.

"Go," he said.

Ardan engaged lift and the flyer rose smoothly into the dawn. They had timed the attack so that they would be coming out of the morning sun straight into the eyes of the invaders. Ardan flew low and carefully watched the treetops below.

"Ready, men," said Gerlan and the troops gripped their weapons more firmly. The invaders' camp was on a knoll, trees cut away to make a landing space for flying machines. Semi-cylindrical shelters housed about forty of the invaders, who seemed to be there simply to stop the humans leaving the valley, as whenever the two sides came in contact, if the humans retreated up the valley, the invaders quickly broke off the pursuit, having learned to their cost that despite their armour and superior weapons, the longbow was still a deadly weapon at short ranges.

A single flyer was at rest in the invaders' camp.

"Ready, Jeni?" Gerlan asked quietly. She nodded. Her task was to try to take the flying machine out of reach of the defenders, while the attack team caused as much mayhem as possible.

Ardan landed the flyer next to the invaders' machine and Jeni quickly climbed on board it. They waited anxiously until with a wave and a grin they could almost feel, she took the flying machine into the air and away, to land it about a half-klick away, waiting.

"Go," said Gerlan, and his men sprinted away towards the shelters, each man with an explosive sphere in his hand.

"Where are the guards?" said Gerlan nervously, trying to look in every direction at once. The keeta was staring into the trees and Ardan felt the cat's warning in his head. He grabbed his father's arm and pointed.

"Over there! It must have been to the latrine or something." The assumption was reasonable, for the alien figure had no helmet and was busily donning its upper-body armour when it stopped in a tragi-comic parody of surprise, suddenly coming to life and reaching for its weapon only to convert the reach for the tube into a fall as the beam from Ardan's energy gun took off its head.

Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,368 Followers
12