Going Rogue Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Deputies, watch those guys." said Daniel. "They're armed. If any one of them draws a weapon, shoot to kill all of them. Every last one of them."

"Geez, you mother fuckers are high-strung." said the foreman.

"Call me that again," said Daniel, "and you'll go to jail right now... and you won't survive it."

"Are you fucking kidding me?----" the man started, but Allgood cut him off.

"No I'm not kidding." said Daniel, channeling his inner Iron Crowbar. "You told us to go to hell, you've been uncooperative... and you say we're high strung?"

After a pause, the Sheriff said "So your name is Bert Jones?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Okay, Deputies, we're going to do this the hard way." Daniel said. "Mr. Jones, I want to see every one of your required permits. Every last fucking one, from the State and the County. If even one word is misspelled, I'm going to shut this operation down so hard it'll make your head spin."

Daniel took copious amounts of time going through the books, looking at every permit, even calling the Town & County Permits Office to make sure some of them were legit. Two Deputies were inside with Daniel and the foreman, hands on guns, while outside the rest of the Deputies had acquired shotguns and were essentially holding the construction workers in place.

Finally, Daniel and the Deputies came out. "I'd suggest, Mr. Jones, that you become more cooperative, especially with the Police in this County. I can take you to jail, fuck with you and your crew... but the man you flipped off early this morning... you do not want to find yourself on the business end of his crowbar."

"The Iron Crowbar, huh?" snarled the man. "I don't give a shit about him. Let him come here again. We'll gang rape his ass and then kill him. And you can tell the mother fucker I said that."

"Oh, I'll be sure to." the Sheriff said, then turned to his Deputies. "Okay, let's go!" They got in their cars and rolled out, leaving behind a very angry foreman and a disgruntled crew. The TCSD cars got out of there just in time; a KSTD News van was rolling up to the construction site...

Part 4 - Media Relations

Still Monday, October 5th. At 10:30am I agreed to a sit-down interview with Bettina Wurtzburg in the "Press Interview Room" at Police Headquarters. It was simply a well-lighted room next to the office of the Press Relations Officer, Lt. Scott Peterson, and the Press Interview Room had some plaques and photos of previous Chiefs of Police and such.

In agreeing to the interview, I told Bettina that I wanted to get some information out about the dog-killer, and in exchange she would get to ask me some questions about the Town & County Council's 'Study Group' that was looking into changing the rank structure and status of the Detectives. Bettina was pretty good and fair about things like this; I would never trust KSTD and Priya Ajmani with an interview of this nature.

"Okay, let's start off." said Bettina, who then turned to her cameraman, Scott Turnbull. "This is Bettina Wurtzburg with Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy. Commander, thank you for sitting down with me today to discuss these issues." I knew Bettina had a show script prepared; ergo, the nature of her comments.

"Glad to be with you, Bettina." I replied, knowing that mentioning Bettina's name a lot would make her very happy... and maybe get me a hot redheaded reporterette piece of ass sometime in the future.

"What have you discovered about these dogs that were killed, Commander?" Betting asked, throwing me an open line. I took advantage of it.

"Bettina, our investigation has discovered that someone may possibly be impersonating a police officer in the commission of these crimes. My real police officers will be attired in proper uniforms, or will show their identification if they are in plain clothes. I also urge citizens to keep an eye out for their pets, and to not let their pets roam freely outside their homes or yards. I would urge owners to keep their dogs inside or in garages overnight until we find out who has been killing these dogs."

"Commander," said Bettina, "nationally there have been problems with police officers killing dogs indiscriminately, even if the dogs are not attacking police nor are a threat to police. What is your Department's position on this?"

"My position, which is my Department's position," I said, "is that dogs should not be harmed in any way unless the dog is actually attacking someone and the only way to stop the attack is to kill the dog. I would add that any time an Officer draws and fires his weapon, no matter what he or she is shooting at, creates what is called a 'serious incident' and triggers a Board of Inquiry investigation. The Town & County Police Department takes any such situation seriously."

"Thank you, Commander Troy." Bettina said. She looked over at Turnbull and said "Cut." Turnbull turned off the camera, though I did not trust the mike to really be off.

"Okay, Commander," said Bettina, "I'm going to lead in with a comment, then turn to you and ask about the Study Group."

"Okay," I said, "but you do realize I'm not part of it and really can't speak for it."

"Of course." said Bettina. I started getting concerned. She turned to her cameraman and nodded her head, and he began recording.

"I'm talking with Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy. He was Acting Chief for several months after Chief Griswold retired, and he currently supervises the overall Operations of the Police Force. Any action by the Study Group will surely affect his Unit's operations." She turned to me. "Commander, the Study Group is looking into streamlining the Police Department's operations, as well as those of the Fire Department. Are they communicating with you on their plans?"

"My boss, the Police Chief, is part of the Study Group." I said. "And of course I have frequent conversations with him about the Police Department's operations at all times. That's our job, of course."

"Certainly," said Bettina, "but are you aware of the Study Group's ideas?"

"I'm not part of the Study Group," I said, "but I've had some talks with some of its members. What was said in those discussions is private, of course, but I have some idea of what they're looking at, at least as far as the Police Force is concerned."

Bettina said "There has been some talk of your Detectives being divided among the Precincts. How would that affect your Department's operations?"

"First of all, Bettina," I said, "it is way premature to talk of such things. I would also add that Police Departments all over the Nation, and indeed the World, operate in generally the same way. The Council may take some actions for accountability and streamlining, but I don't expect our overall actions to be impacted. Our Police Force, and especially my Detectives, have done and are doing an excellent job, and I will do everything in my power to make sure they continue to have everything they need to solve crimes and serve the Citizens of our Town & County."

I realized that Betting was asking for others beside herself when she asked "Commander, you were not yet with the Police Force when the Town and County's units were merged. The Study Group is considering that the rank structure was good at the time of the merger, in order to facilitate a smooth transition, but that changes are needed now. Do you believe changes are needed? And what would you recommend?"

"Do not edit this reply." I said, then continued: "I think what we have now works very well. Of course I am an employee of the Town & County Police Department, and I will do what the Council and my superiors tell me to do regarding any changes." I had said that about editing so that Bettina wouldn't cut it up to make me sound rebellious of the Council. She knew that TCPD cameras were also recording this, and that for her to attempt to edit that line after I told her not to would be most very bad for KXTC vis-a-vis Police Force relations.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. "May I come in?" asked Sheriff Daniel Allgood.

"Certainly, Sheriff!" Bettina said, beaming at the potential opportunity. "Can I get a few words with you about the Study Group?"

"Sure!" said Daniel. I moved over so that he could sit next to Bettina, noting that Daniel was treating this situation easily, handling it like a practiced Sheriff... and politician. I'd done right to have him run for the position, I thought to myself with a pat on my own back.

Bettina got Turnbull ready, then started "Sheriff, you are part of the Study Group, are you not?"

"Yes, I am." said Sheriff Allgood.

"Can you elaborate on any of the changes the Group will be recommending, and how they will affect the Commander's operations with the Police Force?"

"As you know, Bettina," Daniel said, "you've had many opportunities to report upon the tremendous successes of Commander Troy and his Detective Teams in solving some difficult crimes. The TCPD is the best Police Force in the State, and I'm sure the Council would not do anything to diminish nor make more difficult the job that Commander Troy and his Team are doing..."

Part 4 - Dogs in the Daytime

After Bettina wrapped up her interview with Daniel and me, the Sheriff turned to me and said "Let's go to your office." I would now find out why he was here, and why he actually barged in on the Media interview.

Once in my office, he sat down in a "hot seat" chair while I sat behind my desk. He refused my offer of coffee, which did not prevent me from pouring a cup for myself.

"Thanks for rescuing me from the clutches of Ms. Wurtzburg." I said.

"I'd like to think I've learned a little bit from you." Daniel said. "So when I see you agreeing to be interviewed, I know you're at work steering things your own way." I chuckled and Daniel grinned.

"That's what you get for hanging around Melina. After eight years, you'll be solving all the crimes and I'll be obsolete." I said, referring to my former wife of eight years and Daniel's current wife. That got a chuckle from Daniel, and then I said "So what brings you to my humble office?"

"I went by that construction site," said Daniel, "and I'm glad I took your advice to treat it as a hostile situation. Those guys were really belligerent, and the foreman pretended to be shocked when we stood up to them. So I took the time and effort to go through every bit of their paperwork and permits."

"And what did you find?" I asked.

"They're pretty much on the up and up." Daniel said. "After I got back to my office, I began checking on who'd hired them and who was behind the construction. KXTC had it right: the State is building a new State Crime Lab, on State property adjoining the University."

"Right here in our backyard." I said, understanding. "So did you find out anything about the construction company?"

"Sure did." said Daniel. "They're based in Southport, which means they're Mob-controlled. The company belonged to State Senator Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone before he sold it when he ran for State Senate. This company has a number of contracts with the State, and I doubt the Open Bidding process was conducted with total honesty and transparency."

"And this guy... Bert Jones, you said he was?" I asked. "You know, I've heard that name before."

"He was the Security Coordinator at Crown Chemicals when they had that bad situation with Proactive Citizens of Greenworld." said Daniel. That caused me to remember the cold case my mother and Cindy had investigated, which they jokingly would say was part of their 'Phyllis Files'.

Daniel went on. "After that debacle, he left the County. Lived in Midtown a while, then Southport. I still don't understand his hostility, especially to you when you stopped by this morning."

"I'll just say," I said, "that a cynical, even paranoid mind like mine can see threads running all the way from failed Security at Crown Chemicals to Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone, if you get my drift."

"Not really." Daniel said, who wasn't as informed of the Crown/PCGW case as I was. "Anyway, I can look further into the building of the Crime Lab, or pass it on to you----"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my personal cellphone, and it was my wife calling.

"Hello, Beautiful." I said.

"Hello yourself, Darling." she replied. "Busy?"

"I'm just talking to your brother-in-law about that construction." I said.

"That's what I was calling about." Laura said. "Can you take me to lunch? I don't want to talk on the phone."

"Sure." I said. "Can Daniel come along?"

"Yes, if he wants to." said Laura. I asked Daniel if he'd like to join us for lunch and he said he would.

I should note... that my wife Dr. Laura Fredricson is one of the highest-level officers of the Central Intelligence Agency. And if she doesn't want to discuss something on a cell phone, it has to make you wonder why... and if your own cellphone communications are safe and private. Just sayin', is all....

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy also accepted my invitation to lunch, so it was her, Daniel, myself and Laura at Laura's favorite Soup & Sandwich restaurant. The restaurant was north of the construction site and the Town on a little man-made lake nestled under the rising hills towards Daniel and Melina's house. It was chilly outside, so we sat inside at a table with a good window view of the lake.

"I asked Dr. Wellman about the construction this morning." Laura said. "He expressed surprise that I didn't know what it was about, and said he figured that you, Don, knew and had told me. He also had a look on his face that I've come to know that he'd not wanted us to know what it was about."

"And I can understand why." I said.

"Why a State Crime Lab here?" Cindy asked. "When we have already have a better one and the University has a fully operational one, as well?"

"I'll answer that in a second, but let me tell you this first." Laura said. "Once I got to my office, I started checking into it. Guess what bill authorized the construction of this project?" We all looked blankly at Laura, so she said "The SBI Authorization bill from last Winter."

At that point all eyes were on me... as the author of the compromise bill that was passed. I said "There was nothing in the draft I put forth, and I don't remember hearing anything about it when it got to the floor. I'm sure the Governor or Billy Williams would've told me if it was." Williams was the County's State Representative.

"It must've been added later on," Laura said, "but it apparently wasn't as an amendment. It was in the main body of the bill the Governor signed."

"Oh... wait a minute." I said as it struck me. "Well, I'll check on something then tell y'all if I'm right. So the funding is in that bill?"

"Yes." said Laura. "There were three locations authorized, with the Governor and SBI to determine which one. One was the property here that it's being built on. Another is Madison County, near the Women's Prison. And the third was next to State Tech."

"That would make far more sense." Cindy said. "State Tech doesn't have a School Crime Lab, and could use one."

"And to answer your questions from a moment ago," said Laura, "Dr. Wellman told me a few things. He said the University's Crime Lab was going to suffer budget cuts. As bad as we know he really was, the late Henry R. Wargrave gave tremendous funding to the University Crime Lab, as part of the University Hospital grants he'd endowed us with. He also made sure that equipment that was being replaced would go to the Town & County Crime and Arson Labs, which gave you guys some great equipment at no taxpayer expense."

"That's true." I said. "And I've heard rumblings that Brownlee wants to start squeezing our Crime Lab's budget. What do you think of coincidences, Captain Ross?"

"People in my family think very little of them." Cindy replied adroitly.

"Well, just between us, and don't let this get out," said Daniel, "the Council has asked me about it, too. They know the School and Wargrave were pretty generous to our Crime Lab, and they know you and Dr. Woodrow run it very efficiently. But they are concerned about the cost of upkeep."

"And if I only get one guess who on the Council is asking those questions," I said, "I'll still be right."

"That's nothing." said Daniel with a grin. "You're always right anyway. So let me ask: do you think this is coordinated between Brownlee suggesting to cut the Crime Lab budget and the State wanting to build a Lab here?"

"And a certain SBI Director running for Governor on top of it all." I replied. "But I don't understand Governor Jared agreeing to it, and certainly not without telling me... or others who would then tell me. Well... I'm not going to make any judgments until I get some facts----"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

Both my and Cindy's Police cellphones were going off at the same time. As we answered, both our eyes widened in surprise in a manner that would make one think we were blood-related...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"North of Town. River Valley district." Cindy said as we sped to the scene in my Police SUV, with Laura having agreed to give the Sheriff a ride back to Headquarters.

"Third Precinct." I said. "Well, this whole thing is about to piss me off." I said as I drove with blue lights flashing and siren wailing.

The call from the Duty Desk had informed me that there had been a report of two more dogs being shot dead in their backyards by a police officer.

"Theo is on the way, and will meet us there." Cindy said. "I've already called Myron. He's securing camera footage from the area. Lt. Masters had the Duty Desk to put out the word to all Precincts and patrols to be on the lookout for an odd looking police car."

"Oh, was one spotted?" I asked.

"I don't know." said Cindy. "Lt. Masters and I were being proactive, based upon this morning's shootings."

"That's good thinking." I said. We were arriving at the scene, which was in the neighborhood adjacent to the River Valley Country Club. There were three patrol cars present and a blue-gray Police cruiser, belonging to Third Precinct Captain Susan Weston.

"Hello, Captain Weston." I said as we got out of my SUV and she fell in with us as we walked. "What happened here?"

"I'm just getting here myself, sir." Weston said.

"Hello Sergeant Irwin." I said as we came up to the officers. There was also a small crowd of citizens from the neighborhood that were being interviewed by Uniformed officers. "What's going on?"

"Good afternoon, Commander, Captains," said Sergeant Irwin. "Two dogs were shot in this neighborhood. One up the street where those officers are, and this house here. The house up there has nobody at home, and the house here has a Mrs. Beverly White inside. Mr. George White, her husband, is at work. His occupation is Regional Manager for Kroger in the Tri-County area."

"What information do you have?"

"Only one witness, so far." said Sergeant Irwin. "Older lady, named Mrs. Veasley. She lives across the street and two doors down. She's an invalid, pretty much wheelchair-bound, and she was sitting by the front window, reading a book. She said she saw a TCPD Patrol cruiser drive down the street and around the curve."

I looked to where Irwin was pointing, where the road curved to the right... just past the other house where a dog shooting had occurred as he continued: "She said she saw a police officer in a standard dark blue uniform and hat walk up the road. He stopped at the other house then he came up to this one and peered over the fence. Mrs. Veasley said she did not hear anything like a gunshot, but the officer then walked quickly away back toward his car. She said the car did not return this way. That's possible, as the road loops around."