Golden Rook Ch. 68-75

Story Info
Syreilla the Rook free and whole.
16.5k words
4.93
1.7k
5
0

Part 10 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/18/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers

Notes: 1) If you see this version of the story anywhere other than Literotica it isn't supposed to be there. 2) Because of shorter chapters, this is being posted in chunks. 3) This is the last chunk of Golden Rook and the next story, Hammer and Feather, will go up soon.

*****

*Sixty-eight*

Kwes tried not to sigh as Amtalia climbed out of his bed.

"I thought I'd be happy to have you stay, Kwes but you're being a miserable lump," the half-elf teased while she prodded at him. "Get up, go find something to take your mind off of whatever it is that happened. If you don't want to work, you can try talking to your father about your mother's things."

"I'll think about it." Laying in bed, he stared up at the ceiling.

His sister was supposed to help him steal his inheritance but she hadn't even bothered to say goodbye after Odos had taken them to the camp near the mine. She'd just left without even a word, no apology, no explanation, and perhaps it hadn't quite been a week, but it didn't seem as if she had any intention of visiting.

"Kwes?" Alenor stuck her head into his room disturbing his sulking. "Amtalia sent me to get you. There's an elf upstairs who says 'Rook sent her to speak to the Magpie.'"

He sat upright and tried to keep the smile off of his face. "I'll be right there."

As soon as she left the doorway he leapt out of bed and began pulling on clothes. He ran a brush through his hair and glanced in the mirror. His reflection didn't look like a man who'd been moping, he looked presentable. Kwes forced himself not to rush going up the stairs.

"Rook sent someone to speak to me?" He glanced around and saw an elf in almost comically old-fashioned clothing seated on a sofa looking around at the brothel decor with some amusement.

"Over there, Kwes. She's... odd."

With a nod, he went over and sat on a chair across from the woman. "You're looking for the Magpie?"

"And I've found him!" The elf beamed, "You look so much like Rook, but from what she said of you, I thought you'd act more like the clever boy."

He flushed slightly, "You... you know the clever boy?"

"I do. He introduced us. I made the mistake of being a little rude to her when we first met. It was unintentional, I promise you, but she was in a foul mood and he had to be very charming to make certain she didn't kill me. Once she offered him some sausage," the elf made a disgusted face, "he knew she had calmed.

"She spoke warmly of you, though not of this place, and the clever boy sent me, as she suggested, to hear stories."

"Not to give me an apology or..." He stood abruptly. "I don't know what stories she wants you to hear but I can tell you about her abandoning me when she'd promised to work with me. Vanishing without a word when-"

The elf held up her hand and tilted her head as if looking past him. "You don't know him as well as she does. And he knows her better than you do. Rook would not do that."

"I don't know what you're talking about but Rook did do that. She gave me a false sigil-"

"You were deceived. Your father is being himself." The elf gave him a pitying look. "Perhaps this is why she is so untrusting."

For a moment he considered fetching the sigil and calling for Odos but another idea dawned over him. "Why don't we ask her? I don't have a sigil that can summon her but I know someone who does. Do you have a horse?"

°°°°°°°°°°

On horseback, they made better time than they had with the dwarf and cart, but it was still after dark when they approached Edun's house. Ellother, as he'd learned her name was, glanced around nervously as he rode toward the stable.

"This doesn't seem wise, Kwes."

"Edun and Mylena know me. They may not be pleased to have guests so late but they won't be angry."

He helped her make a bed in the hay after they'd gotten the horses stripped of their gear and turned out into the pasture. All they needed to do was wait until morning.

Kwes woke to someone kicking his ankle. Mylena's sour face glowered down at him and he grinned up at her.

"We didn't want to wake you last night, Mylena, I-"

"Why are you here?"

"I came to speak to Edun. I brought..." He glanced next to him and found the elf was gone.

"He's speaking to an elf woman."

"Ellother." Picking himself up out of the hay he dusted himself off as best he could. "Has Rook come back at all?"

"No, may all the gods be thanked, but Edun has twice gone walking and come home with coins he's found. He said she wanted to look after him."

"I'm amazed she's found the time." He tried to keep the bitterness out of his tone but Mylena gave him a dubious look. "I'm more than happy to offer you some payment for feeding us if you're able. I know this isn't an inn-"

"I'll bring something to eat out to you. You make sure nothing falls into your pockets." She gave him an annoyed look but gestured to the hay, "You can sleep there again if you stay another night."

He followed her out of the stable and glanced around spotting Edun and Ellother near the place they'd buried his father and brother. A pile of stones had been moved to mark the spot. Kwes trotted over.

"She fought to do a kind thing for us. Syreilla the Rook is kind at heart."

"Didn't you have to make her promise not to set your mother on fire?" He teased gently as he came closer and Edun gave him an annoyed look.

"She was angry and she thought my mother didn't love me, the way her mother didn't love her."

"She turns her pain into dragon's fire and pours it out on others." Ellother nodded. "People who upset her tend to burst into flame often, I would think."

Edun gave her an exasperated smile. "Only if you don't tell her not to. Firmly."

The elf laughed and reached out to stroke his head.

"Part of the reason we came, Edun," Kwes took a step closer, "was to speak to her. You have a sigil that can summon her. Will you use it for me?"

The boy studied his face and frowned. "Why?"

"I need her to explain something."

Edun's brow furrowed. "You're angry with her."

"She did something cruel and I want her to explain herself. Ellother thinks it wasn't her and summoning her will settle the matter." Seeing the boy's expression slowly turning to incredulous anger, he added, "The very worst it might do would be to annoy her slightly. If I knew another way to summon her I would do it."

"It isn't a toy. It's for me to use if I need her to come protect me."

"She'll forgive you!" Kwes tried not to snap at the boy. "She likes you better than anyone else."

The child reached his hand into his pocket with a frown and closed his eyes before stepping back, "Vezar Edra, the Undying."

Ellother's eyes opened wide and Edun smiled faintly as the peculiar-looking man stepped out of nothing. Kwes sputtered as Cyran followed him.

"They wanted to speak to Syreilla. I don't want to summon her, especially not for someone angry with her."

"She loathes elves." Vezar eyed the elvish woman with a frown. "They're often cruel to her."

"I was not, and I'm not angry with her." Ellother looked pointedly at Kwes.

Folding his arms, he shrugged, "Rook sent her to ask me for stories. She thinks my father deceived me and I wanted to summon Rook to have her tell her friend what she did."

"Kwes..." Cyran stepped forward with his hand out, "Your father deceived us both. He confessed it to me."

"What did he do?" Edun looked at them, baffled.

"He wore her face and pretended to be her." Cyran lowered his hand and gave Edun an apologetic look, "He made us think she had abandoned us. Lady Rook would never abandon her loved ones. We were pulled away from her as she pursued her task."

"He can do that? Wear other people's faces?" Edun's eyes widened.

Kwes, however, sat heavily on the ground. "He was always annoyed that I idolized her. I wanted to work with her... She's-she's a legend among thieves and she's my sister."

Ellother crouched next to him with a peculiar smile. "This is why she told the clever boy to send me to you to hear her stories. She knew either you'd be told or you'd remember the stories and know it wasn't her who'd upset you."

He took a deep breath and looked at the woman carefully, "My sister met the clever boy and they got along?"

"He reminded her of you."

The smile that broke across his face was so wide it hurt. "What stories do you want to hear first? She once broke into the treasury of Mad King Hannor and she got drunk and stole the crown from the King Undying out of the Nameless. If the job was so difficult no sane thief would take it, she was the one they would send people to. I think the only thing she's never stolen has been a dragon's treasure and only because she couldn't find a dragon."

*Sixty-nine*

Syreilla returned to her chamber feeling light. It felt as if everything were falling into its proper place. She had a home here, Uncle didn't seem to have any intention of forcing her to see or speak to Vezar, she was going to be permitted to have guests... Looking around she frowned, where would she put guests? The large balcony suited her uncles, they needed the space, but...

Her bed was the only piece of furniture in the main room, even if she wanted to stay indoors, and she liked it that way. The balconies were empty and shadeless for now but she wanted to take more time and thought to create her garden. She glanced up at her trees. There were no birds to disturb yet. With careful thought, Syr made a sturdy stair of tree roots clinging to the side of the tower, leading up to the trees.

They needed to be taller, and there would need to be a place to sit. Four sections of curved low-backed benches made a small circle in the shaded middle beneath the trees. It didn't seem quite right. She could always add a table but... a table would mean food and drink and there was none of that here.

Climbing up a nearby tree, Syr settled comfortably into the fork and studied the circle. Perhaps she should leave it this way for now and change it later when she had decided what she wanted. This way there were at least seats.

"Syreilla?" A familiar voice came from below and she dropped from her tree to hurry down.

"Cyran?" She broke into a grin on seeing him next to Hevtos. "Uncle, the two of you have met?"

"We have, I-" Cyran stopped as Hevtos put a hand on his shoulder.

"There is a matter of importance that must be spoken of, dear one. For the first time since our," her uncle paused, "quarrel my brother has agreed to speak to me and to your grandmother. Young Cyran has not fully come into himself but this will be an event to shape and strengthen him."

Syreilla studied them both feeling a little baffled, and inclined her head, "I wish you luck, cousin, do you need something from me?"

"Uncle Odos said that Grandfather would like for you to join us."

She could feel her eyebrows rising and Hevtos smiled faintly, reassuring her, "If you wish to join us I will keep you safe from him, my Golden Rook. I intend to bring your uncles as well."

"I don't see the point in going. Cyran and Master Odos will be allowed to visit with me. If Grandmother wanted to visit I would hope she would be allowed." She received a warm smile and a nod from Hevtos. "There's nothing to gain from going and seeing me would put him in a foul mood. If the old man asked for me to come he's probably planning to try and convince me to apologize to his father or have me agree to some lie that I feel badly about it. Or more likely he'll say that I spoke of some remorse to get him out of hot water and expect me to nod along."

"Your father lies but he also tells the truth more than I expected." Cyran gave her a rueful smile. "You promised to let me learn from you and-" He stopped as she winced and held up her hand.

"I do apologize for letting myself get pulled away. I should have insisted they bring you into the mine once I arrived. The only excuse I have is that I was tired and I wasn't thinking as clearly as I should have been. Can you forgive me for that? I will honor my word if you still want an education from me."

"There's nothing to forgive, Syreilla. I've learned things in places I never expected to since we were parted. You began my education and I thank you for it. I hope as my cousin, and as my friend, I can come to you if I need something?"

She gave him a warm smile and dipped her head, "You can, Cyran. Always. I'll be glad to help you as much as I can."

"You should remember to visit Kwes, I can't condone theft but he was heartbroken that he didn't have the chance to work with you." He smiled shyly, "And if I could impose on you, perhaps you'll come to this gathering and give your family the chance to surprise you?"

Narrowing her eyes, she tried to suppress an answering smile, "Cyran, I'm aware my family can surprise me, but surprises are usually unpleasant."

"They can be, dear one, but not always." Hevtos glanced up at the ceiling, "Do you still want birds?"

"I do, Uncle. They may have to share the space with guests. I love my balconies but there's no shade and I want to think and consider my garden carefully..."

"You will find a way to make your home suit you in time."

"Can I show you both the roof?"

"I'd like to see the balconies. Perhaps I can offer advice on your garden?" Cyran peered around her and she waved for them to follow.

°°°°°°°°°°

Syr let Cyran lead her into the chamber against her better judgment. She glanced around at the carved walls and frowned at the cracked table.

"This feels like a place I don't want to be."

"The last time it was used a great deal of unpleasantness occurred." Hevtos entered the chamber with two hairless men, both of which seemed unnaturally angular.

One of the men gave her a peculiarly wide smile, "My niece doesn't recognize me."

"Uncle Zhetra?"

He laughed and shook his head.

"Uncle..." Cyran looked shocked.

"Our other uncles, Zhetrahmihethrah and Vezjahehdhethrah."

"You can say my name!" Zhetrahmihethrah grinned at her again.

"I can! I was trying to wait until you'd given a firm promise to take me flying before I let you know I could." She gave him an impish grin and he laughed, shoving his brother's shoulder.

"I told you! She's-" he stopped abruptly as Atos entered with Odos and Imos at his side.

"You bring them in my presence?" Atos scowled and Syr saw the flames flicker in his eyes.

"They are my sons and you have wronged them." Zyulla stepped into the chamber with her head held high.

"Mother!" Vezjahehdhethrah stepped forward with his hand outstretched and Zyulla clasped it before pulling him into a tearful embrace.

Syr put herself between the embracing pair and Atos as his lip curled, meeting his glare with her own.

"You wish to-"

"Father." Odos turned away to press a hand into the angry god's shoulder. "My Rook only respects kindness. I warned you not to expect much from your granddaughter after the way she was treated."

"My granddaughter should be at your side, not his."

"I stand with those who love me." Syr stretched and rolled her shoulders back, remaining defiantly in place.

"You stand with those who don't know you." Imos narrowed his eyes. "Have you told them of the stone you gave to the dwarves? The one they call Syreilla's Eye?"

"Brother." Odos scowled. "That's enough."

"I didn't give it to them, it was what Hammersworn's youngest inherited after you had her murdered. What about it?" She tilted her head slightly.

"Vezjahehdhethrah's stone was stolen and carved-"

She heard a furious hiss of breath behind her.

"-and that circlet that you gave them was a part-"

The wail of fury and the blow from behind came at the same time. Syr hit the table and then rolled onto it coming to her feet.

"Uncle, because he provoked you I won't take that personally. Don't do it twice."

"YOU GAVE MY STONE TO DWARVES?!"

"I didn't know it was yours, it belonged to Syreilla Hammersworn. It was her son's inheritance. That's why they call it Syreilla's Eye."

"You will take it back." Hevtos frowned.

"No, Uncle. I don't steal from dwarves and he needs it. With it, he can-"

"IT IS NOT YOURS TO GIVE!" Vezjahehdhethrah lunged at her legs and she leapt out of the way.

"Uncle Hevtos offered to give me a stone, Uncle Vezjahehdhethrah, I will give it to you-"

He roared in fury once more and Imos laughed, "Once you have a stone that is your stone. He cannot take yours. He can only-"

"Something can be arranged. Father can choose to give him another," Odos interrupted him. "Everyone should calm and-"

"Why would I relent? That he had one at all is too much to be bourne. If he could not keep it and it was taken and carved-"

"I WILL HAVE RESTITUTION! I WILL HAVE SYREILLA'S EYE!"

The agony on his face, resonating with the fury in his voice, wrenched at her. Exhaling, she nodded and crouched down to look him in the eye.

"And that will be enough?"

He blinked at her.

"I don't steal from dwarves and I cannot retrieve that stone, but I can give you Syreilla's eye."

"Rook..." Odos' tone was cautioning.

"It would be just." Vezjahehdhethrah's anger was fading. "But I don't believe you would-"

Syr gave him a faint smile as she drew out her boot knife. "You can rely on a Rook."

She pressed the tip of the blade to the corner of her eye and heard the shout from Odos that she be stopped while Imos scoffed that she wouldn't remove her own eye. What happened next felt utterly surreal, as if her eye obeyed her intent, popping out without being punctured. Syr severed it with the knife and offered it to Vezjahehdhethrah.

"Syreilla's eye for Syreilla's Eye."

He took it with a stunned look on his face. "Syreilla..."

Hevtos helped her from the table and she gave him a rueful smile, "I can do my job with one eye, just as well, Uncle."

When she turned her head, she saw Odos covering his face and his shoulders shook as if he were weeping. Atos wore a stunned look much like Vezjahehdhethrah's. Imos looked terrified.

"I can burn your temples just as well with only one eye, too."

Imos stepped back and vanished.

"I will..." Atos cleared his throat. "I will give you a new stone, Vezjahehdhethrah. In exchange, you will give me Syreilla's eye, she has purchased your carved stone from you."

"What will you do with it?" The dragon in vaguely human form cupped the eye in his hands, "I won't allow her to be harmed more. She's just a child."

"I will put the gift of power that should have gone into her stone into her eye and replace it." Atos held out his hand.

Odos lifted his head and gave his father a grateful look as he wiped away his tears.

Syr frowned and studied his face as best she could. "Why?"

Both Atos and Odos looked at her in surprise.

"He doesn't like me. He certainly doesn't love me. Why would he do that?"

"You will be able to see more clearly once it is returned to you." Zyulla looked as tearful as Odos as she reached out and touched Syreilla's cheek. "What you gave your uncle was more powerful than any sigil."

"His stone shouldn't have been taken and carved, I had to give him something of equal value. It wasn't my fault but it fell to me to pay for it. You can rely on a Rook. I don't shirk my responsibilities."

"Vezjahehdhethrah..." Atos closed his fist and eyes, opening both after a moment. In his palm lay a gem the size of her eye, a shimmering golden brown and streaked with black, it bore a vague resemblance to an eye itself. "I will not cause her harm."

With a glance to his father for reassurance, the dragon rounded the table and traded the eye for the stone. Atos placed his free hand over it and closed his eyes again.

"Syreilla the Rook, come here."

Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers