All Comments on 'Great and Terrible Things'

by JoeDreamer

Sort by:
  • 191 Comments (Page 2)
SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousabout 5 years ago
Sorry I can't give you five stars.

I already did. Just read this wonderful story again, again, and was only put off a little bit by the need for editing. The story was wonderful, well written, and with proper research to back it up. Thanks for an enjoyable read.

bunky28bunky28about 5 years ago
Very Good Reading

I really enjoyed reading this story, well done, hope there will be more, ty.

Rhsc1Rhsc1almost 5 years ago
Second Read

Just a great tale...one if the best!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Great

From me my highest accolade, you made me believe

Blinkie99Blinkie99almost 5 years ago
Wow

Outstanding story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Thank you

I became bewitched by this story from the beginning and for first in year read all in one day. It also helped me deal with my own war demons. The love of a good woman for her warrior is a healing force. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Great story

Best western I've read since L'Amour went to that big roundup in the sky.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
GREAT STORY

YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB THE WAY YOU BROUGHT EVERYTHING TOGETHER & MADE IT SO EXITING. THANKS I WISH YOU WOULD WRITE MORE COWBOY STORIES.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Do it again,PLEASE

Just re-read if for the third time. It gets better every year. Thank you. /s/ Just Jay

shades1ashades1aover 4 years ago
Fine story, bad mechanics

This was a good tale, but the typos and grammatical errors were astounding. I know that people on here don't care for "grammar Nazis", but when you need to re-read every paragraph because of the errors, it pulls you out of the story. All of this author's work is like this. It's horrid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Loved it

Terrific story. I gave it five stars, despite all the typos.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great read!

Dearest JoeDreamer,

This was indeed one of the best stories I've read. Consider this a virtual pat on the back!

GG

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Yep....still one of the best!

I have a handful of stories I re-read occasionally....this being one, never disappoints. Westerns have always been my favorite, and this is a good one. The best western authors have nothing on you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Your talent is right up there with Louis L’amour well done

Very good read sir enjoyed it thoroughly

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A delightful read

I spent a quit Saturday getting lost in your story. It made think of stories my dad and my uncle CHarlie told me as a small boy. Both my dad and uncle were born other late 1800's. I heard stories of the era after the civil war to ww1.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Very nice story

This is a great story. That being said there a lot of typos and grammatical errors that meant having to back up several times to figure out what was supposed to be said.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
WOW

You can write. How have I not found any of your other stories? This read like a great western, thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Please

Please write some more in this genre. Loved it

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Sequel please

Would love to see a sequel to this story. It was an amazing read and I thank you for writing it.

dawg_of_wardawg_of_warabout 4 years ago
Still GREAT

This makes the 4th time I read this story. This time, I knew which one it was and told myself I was only going to skim it. "Yeah, right" instead I read it all the way through. Still a GREAT story.

Love these types of stories. Feel free to write more JoeDreamer. Also, if anyone knows of some, feel free to message me. Western themes are fantastic.

fuzzy94fuzzy94about 4 years ago
So Good

Third time enjoying this story ... definitely needs a sequel ... or similar in the same genre

5 stars is definitely not enough

Thank you JD for writing

Eric

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

I enjoyed this story. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
first time reader

But won't be the last. An awesome tale! Thank you, Mike

LwcbyLwcbyalmost 4 years ago
Superb

Thank you! More, Please.

johntc24johntc24over 3 years ago
Loved It

Wonderful story, enjoyed it immensely. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Excellent story

Excellent story well worth the time spent reading it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
double wow

second time I have read it, still best story I have read in a long time

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Heart Ache,

Yes, heart ache's fill our lives, from the moment we are born, till death takes us away. I think you had a couple more chapters with this story. I really liked it, This wasn't the first time I've read this one either. I can always tell a great story ,By how many times I,m willing to read said story, of course there were a couple of missed spelled words ,but that never really bothers me as long as the story line is good.

Thanks enjoyed it again. hope your well, Yes so you can keep writing,, LoL .

flareb2343flareb2343over 3 years ago
1 MORE CHAPTER

there is link for another follow up story . found this 1 to be among the best.

Antryg_WindroseAntryg_Windroseover 3 years ago

Good story. Sloppy orthography. Stern editing required.

jjburrows82jjburrows82over 3 years ago
Great Story! At the end it left me with a knot at the throat!

Hopefully we will see more like these in the near future!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
great story

Great story, one of the best I've read

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Previously I have rated this story a 5 due to character development and plot. This time I offer no rating, simply another reader count.

The plot and character still require a 5.

The many errs of people’s names, unclear sentences, partial sentences, spelling, breaks in sentences, punctuation, use of contemporary idioms in a period piece: these mark the story as rating a 2, at best.

So I have to refuse another 5 scoring but hold too much appreciation and respect for what the author has accomplished to score it lower.

Thank you, again, for what you have freely offered ... and I do hope my comments are helpful for you.

Craig

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

very good, a great story and a fine end

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Excellent

Excellent I truly appreciated the story and enjoyed the development of characters. Rarely do I have the enjoyment of reading a story that is so well written that I can see in my mind as if I'm watching a movie. Thank you I hope I will again have the pleasure to read more of your work. I am a western genre fan or historical theme fan. i sincerly hope I see more from you. Thank you once again for the pleasure you gifted me in allowing to reading your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

would like to have more

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

The one-against-six gun battle was well plotted and well written. The pace was right, and the descriptions of planning and action fit together nicely. Also enjoyed the recap of it that was given to Billy.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Well you surprised me here.

And excellent story all round.

Many thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

very good story, great pace, enough complexity and a family of emotions ... I didn't stop until I was done

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Absolutely one of the best. All characters were very well portrayed, especially Robert (MOH). Please sell this to a movie studio but do not let them change it too much.

JAF1953JAF1953over 2 years ago

A hell of a guy, but their love was a little too one-sided for me. She leaves her ranch and he gets to satisfy his wanderlust. So will it last? Only time will tell, I guess.

Cringo31Cringo31over 2 years ago

What a tremendously well done story. Great characters and a wonderful pace to the story. Could not stop reading until the end. Loved it.

Cringo31Cringo31over 2 years ago

What a tremendously well done story. The characters were so well done and the pace of the story kept me interested right to the end. Would love to see another story about their adventures and mire if the Colonel’s background. Well done

Smiffy69Smiffy69over 2 years ago

Just read this for the second time. It doesn’t get stale. I’d love to see a follow-up…..

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wonderful story. Thank you for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Bravo! One of the best western novels I read till now, maybe the best. There is action, feeling, consideration, good plot and good psychology (sometimes fine psychology). The characters are interesting human beings, not dummies. Gripping love story, gripping action shots. Bravo! Bravo!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Enthralling. Keep thinking, Josiah, get a grip. You'll never again meet someone like Abigail. Don't walk away. Don't be a fool.

ThegreyhaggisThegreyhaggisabout 2 years ago

This was such a lovely surprise and not something I would have normally read. Thank you for the treat this story became to me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Really well done, loved it. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 years ago

So many things about this story I love, yes - the characters, scene setting, emotion and narrative are all pretty much faultless, but it’s the little things, like the fact it all happens in a single moon phase, the respect given to SgtM Washington, the cliched “Cavalry riding to the rescue”, historical and military references, weapon development as personal recollections, all of those and more are what make this an outstanding story, other writers please take note; good creative writing can fall onto your screen like pennies from heaven when your muse strikes, but it is only when it is then embellished and polished and built upon to make it into something like this story is it truly Great.

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Someone else said it better than me, but you can really smell the gun powder and sweat.

nyteramblernyterambleralmost 2 years ago

Loved the story and the ending to it. I knew it had to end with them together but still was a good ending.

mac1729mac1729over 1 year ago

Damn can you write a story. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I could only help myself to read it again for the second time to have the thrill of enjoyment and satisfaction again and say may regards and thank you to the author hoping for more similar enjoyable stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I've read it twice, about a year apart. As I started the 2nd time I remembered I'd read it before. However I also remembered it was a great story! Hence, read it twice!

wish_thinkerwish_thinkerover 1 year ago

Ok, I have yet to read all your stories. I have enjoyed them all, some more than others. This one was especially good and makes me ask why you are not publishing, even if only self publishing. With more editing, it is certainly a read that many more would enjoy.

linnearlinnearover 1 year ago

Absolutely fantastic writing, I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to see more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow, wonderful story! I really enjoyed the flawed characters who nonetheless sparked my interest and affection. Appreciated the world building and setting as well, it felt authentic. Thank you Joe!

DarknsDarknsover 1 year ago

It’s always a measure of how much I enjoy a story if by the end I’m a little saddened to read the final ending. And here I am, a little sad but mostly very happy for the wonderful reading experience.

Thank you @JoeDreamer. A great story told well! 5 stars.

LwcbyLwcbyover 1 year ago

I enjoyed everything but the Dumbass, I'm not the right man for you, Bullshit!!!!! Other than that stupidity, pretty good... I really hate plot contrivances like that...

MILF_HammerMILF_Hammerover 1 year ago

Damn good story! I really enjoyed that there was some "back shooting" all the old westerns where the good guy will only kill someone by giving them the upper hand annoys the hell outta me!

I hope you continue to write more westerns!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great yarn, well told. Entertaining and engaging. Thank you.

More please.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A classic western romance.

Best Regards,

Mike R.

BonthekBonthekabout 1 year ago

All told, I liked this story. Only one thing was off kilter. Joe, there has never been a winner for the Medal of Honer. These can never be won. They are only awarded. Other than that it was a very good read. Thanks Joe.

sweetone66sweetone66about 1 year ago

This was a wonderful, feel good story! Try to find an editor though... you had way too many typo's. Didn't distract from the story (at least for me), but it will for a lot of people. 5 *'s and fav story. I loved the action!!

jewelya8789jewelya878911 months ago

The sooner you drop the phrase, “truth be told” the better! Completely unnecessary!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Fantastic story, well written and thoroughly enjoyable. Loved every minute of it! Ignore the nitpicking grammer perfectionists, whatever imperfections there are do not detract from this being a beautiful read, and believable story with true emotion and a perfect ending. Absolutely loved it!

Thank you very much for sharing this with us readers!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Josiah was an asshole, so full if himself yet he was pathetic when it came to standing up!!

Alby was made to look like an untouchable

Badly written by the writer 'truth be told'

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Classic western, like Shane.

One hell of a woman.

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker9 months ago

Keep it up plz.. not many folks can write a half way decent story that holds ppl attention. You did that.. LET ALL THE ONES THAT WANT TO BITCH. GO WRITE ** THEIR** OWN STORYS.. THEN LET US NIT PICK WHAT ** THEY** WRITE.. I THINK THEY MIGHT FIND IT HARDER THAN IT LOOKS., BUT WONT HAPPEN... THEY'LL NEVER GET IT., THEY NEED TO GO TO BARNES AND NOBLE IF THEY WANT PURFECTION.... THIS IS FOR (*FrEe) F R E E ... SO AT LEAST GIVE AN AMATUER WRITER A BREAK. ... AWW HECK.. LIKE THATLL EVER HAPPEN.. THKS ANYWAY joedreamer for your work.. 👍💯🤷😉👍😁

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman9 months ago

Thanks for writing an entertaining story and expanding my knowledge of old guns. Thanks Wikipedia, LOL. Could have been a few pages shorter.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

It was a bit like "Shane", but with a happier ending.

UncertainTUncertainT8 months ago

Excellent writing, holding my attention way past my bedtime.

burningloveburninglove7 months ago

One of the best stories written on Lit!

It took me 3 days - a very enjoyable read!

Your stories are exceptionable - very high quality!!

5 *****!!!!!!!

Burninglove

TulipfuzzTulipfuzz5 months ago

One great story! What grabbed me was the unfolding of the events on his scouting mission and the idea that I was going to have to read it again to fully appreciate the he action. But the retelling of the events to Billy meant that I no longer needed to.

The only flaw to this otherwise great storytelling was the plethora of typos. The editing mistakes were unforced errors; blight on a luscious Georgia peach. Five stars anyhow.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I loved it. A real story. Believable.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Even with typos, you just have to read it better.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Didn't need to be shorter, a perfect story as is.

xhunter4uxhunter4u4 months ago

Has this story been made into a movie yet? Loved it. Somebody resurrect John Wayne to be Col. Moser.

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker4 months ago

🤷💯💯💯💯💯💯💯😉💯💯💯💯💯💯💯👍💯👍👍👍👍💯👍👍💯👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍💯💯👍👍👍👍💯😉😁😁💯💯👍👍😁🍕🍻🍻🤷🤷🥴🙋😂👁️👁️🤔🤗🤣☕☕🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🤷🤷🤷💯💯👍👍👍👍👍💯💯sold the rights for a tv movie yet ? 😁😉👍

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Loved this story. It should get more than 5 stars. My only comment would be Sam Ellliot him in his prime instead of John Wayne for the lead along with Kate Mara. Wish the story had been longer. It only had me in tears a few times. The funny thing is it isn't an erotic story; it's a love story. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Outstanding!

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Magnificent.... You are a master story teller.... Thank you for the most entertaining story I have ever read.

Jake Jennette.......................... ANVGen

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Fantastic. I always loved westerns. This was one of the best westerns zi have read. A touch of Shane and The tall men. But instead of John Wayne, I think Alan Ladd would fit the MC. And Scarlet O'Hara for Abigail. Great story inspite of the many grammatical errors. You are a great writer, just please, please do some editing. You don't need an editor. You can do it yourself if only you take the time to go through with the draft at least thrice. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️👍👍👍👍💯💯💯

JimDiamondJimDiamondabout 2 months ago

Such a great "Story Teller" deserves a better editor! The comment from someone that it is too bad John Wayne AND a young Maureen O'Hara couldn't be resurrected to play the leads is true. Probably something like a combination of "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and "The Quite Man". What a wonderful movie that would have made. With all that said just one blimish and comment... No real calvary man would have chosen a "Powerful Stallion" for a mount. They either want to screw or fight any other horse they come in contact with. Not a good choice for a horse to depend on doing war as an 1870's calvaryman.

AnonymousAnonymous6 days ago

wonderful

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous