Greatest Gift of All

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I shook with relief. Sam was giving me a choice. It pained me to know he felt there was a choice to be made. There wasn't. Current foolishness notwithstanding, for me it was Sam. Had always been Sam. Would always be Sam.

I ached for the hurt and anger bleeding through each and every word and vowed to do my utmost to heal the wounds my actions had inflicted. Gratitude that he loved me and our family enough to try, that he meant what he'd said in his opening words, filled my heart. He was going to try to forgive me. He was going to give me a second chance. I probably didn't deserve the chance he was giving me, but I wanted it regardless. I wanted it with every fibre of my being.

I dropped the letter and reached into my pocket for my phone. Without a moment's hesitation I composed a text to Peter.

IT'S OVER. IT WAS A MISTAKE. I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN. DON'T CALL. DON'T TEXT. LOSE MY NUMBER.

All I felt when I hit the send icon was relief.

If you choose in favour of me and our marriage all you have to do to let me know is wear the pendant.

Later, after the kids and grandkids are gone you can show me the text so I can verify. And, yes, Lisa, I will need to verify. You have shown by your words and actions of the last month that your word alone is not good enough proof.

As you make your decision keep in mind I am not offering you a free pass. Forgiveness does not come cheap and, if I am being totally truthful, my gift is as much for myself as it is for you and our family. My offering you forgiveness does not diminish what you've done. Unforgiveness is like a tumour. It eats the holder from the inside out. I refuse to be its next victim. In that respect, my gift is not merely about you; it's also for me.

A second chance does not come without cost or effort. You're the one who wreaked the devastation, so the bulk of the work to repair our relationship will be up to you.

I will, no doubt, have many difficult questions for you to answer, hurdles for you to jump, and challenges for you to meet. I can't promise that I won't yell or lose my temper. You've lost my trust. It won't be easy to win it back. Same goes for respect. All you have is the remnants of a roaring fire in my heart. It will be up to you to fan the embers back into a flame.

If you choose your lover, leave the pendant in the box and leave it on the mantelpiece. That choice will mean you moving out of the house and the commencement of divorce proceeding in the New Year.

The decision is yours: divorce or the Greatest Gift Of All - forgiveness and a second chance.

Sam

I folded the letter, placing it back in the card. I would keep it always to remind me of what I'd done and what I'd nearly thrown away through stupidity.

Picking up the gift box, I opened the lid, looking long and hard at the pendant. I'd thought it beautiful when I first opened the box. Now, knowing its true meaning, it was even more precious to me.

With trembling fingers, I removed it and undid the clasp. With one last glance at the promise held within its design, I placed it around my neck. As I touched it, making certain it rested in the centre of the opening of my blouse, I promised myself I would wear it every day. For Sam, so he'd know I loved him and appreciated his generosity. And for me, so I'd remember the Christmas my loving husband gave me the greatest gift of all.

THE END

Merry Christmas everyone and may you all have a happy and safe 2019

12