Green Rose of the Underground Ch. 02

Story Info
Safe, Thix learns about her circumstances, and her savior.
8.8k words
4.81
3.1k
4
0

Part 2 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 01/27/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It felt unreal. Thix was sitting on a cushioned seat, wrapped in a deep red cloak that was unacceptably soft. She had almost protested when the yellow-haired man had taken it out and wrapped it around her dirty muddy body.

Her bare feet dangled halfway to the floor, still caked in muck. She watched them sway, rocked back and forth by the motion of the wagon as it carried them away. Thix had never felt shame just being who and what she was, until she'd met humans.

Even now despite her gratitude, she had never felt smaller or more ashamed. Unworthy, that was it. She was just a dirty, messy, pathetic creature that was soiling this human's fine things. Not worth the gold he'd paid for her life.

Still, it was nice to cuddle into the warm fabric. She would have liked to bury herself in it, cover her face and head and curl up. It smelled nice like his other clothes, a bit like flowers. Thix flinched from surprise when the yellow-haired human man started speaking to her. She shyly raised her eyes, trying to avert them away from the bright daylight streaming through the open window.

He did have a good face, she thought again. A strong jaw, plump cheeks, a handsome long nose and his eyes were large for a human. She wondered if he would be considered attractive by the standards of his own kind? His expression turning curious, he tried again, a different human language from before. Something more sweet and musical. After a moment of staring blankly, Thix shook her head shortly from side to side. He tried once more.

"Do you speak --Ruvic-?"

Excitement, real and desperate flared to life in Thix's chest. She moistened her throat before replying and when she did spoke softly and slowly.

"Yes. I speak little of the trader tongue. No good. My father taught me. A little."

Compared to the rich low warmth of his voice, hers sounded high, pinched, and ragged. It didn't seem to matter, the man's mouth spread into a wide smile. When he continued talking Thix flushed and raised one hand up from the cloak, wishing she could at least trim her poorly kept nails. They were dark and uneven.

"Slow. Please. I no know many."

The man nodded, and seemed to realize something. His eyes widening a little as he examined her and gestured toward the window. This time every word was deliberately enunciated and measured.

"Would you like me to make it dark for you?"

She'd promised herself she was done with crying that day, but apparently not as the simple question hit her right in the heart. She couldn't turn away without appearing rude, so Thix simply buried her face in her hands and failed to keep back the hiccupping sobs. She tried to nod while hiding her face, and in-between the sniffles began babbling.

"I'm sorry. Yes. Please. I'm sorry."

The light in the wagon dimmed, Thix looked between her fingers and saw that a curtain had been let down. The man stared frowning at her. She couldn't take it anymore and asked the question.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

She felt her ears twitch with discomfort as she tried to seek out the proper words in his tongue. "Why... buy me?"

The man took in a deep breath and seemed to think. "A few reasons."

He didn't seem willing to answer further, or maybe he didn't know how to make her understand. After another moment he spoke again.

"Why were they doing that to you?"

Here it came. Now he wouldn't want her. Now he'd throw her out, or bring her back. Still, it might be worse if she lied, and he found out. Lying meant beatings. Even now that she could examine him with comfort, Thix couldn't bear to look him in the face as she ordered her words.

"I... I kill my human. I no want do it. I no want. It... I... I no..."

She fell silent and waited. She didn't know how to explain to him that it was an accident. She didn't know the proper words.

"Your human?" There was a confused edge to the question.

"The man who own me. I no want do it. I do bad."

She knew it. Saw the way his face contorted into a fierce scowl. Thix found herself shuffling into the corner, waiting for him to strike at her. Oddly enough, his expression changed and became gentle. He raised his hands palm outward to her.

"No. It is... you are not... I am not angry with you. They were wrong. I am sorry."

As if gathering himself to speak something important, he looked her right in the eyes. The two little gray orbs of his eyes so pretty and honest.

"I am sorry, for my people."

He was sorry? Once more it felt like her heart was breaking with tenderness and fear. Did he mean that? Either way, she didn't want to lose this one. Not after so much disgust, and hate, and pain, and cruelty. Was this the dream now? And she would awake back in that cold stone cell? Thix pitched forward off her seat and onto the floor before him onto her knees, careful not to touch his clean clothes, looking up at him imploringly.

"I be good for you. I work hard. I thank you with my life."

To her shock, and the expulsion of a sudden squeak, the man leaned down and grabbed her beneath the arms. Helping her back up to her feet, which to be fair didn't raise her that much off the ground, and directing her backwards so that he could look at her. His expression twisted as if in difficulty, eventually he smiled in a slightly unsure way and to her horror and embarrassment ran his fingers through the ruined dark mop of her hair.

"We will talk more of that later. What is your name?"

So many little stupid things she had taken for granted. She couldn't remember anyone who cared what her name was since she left home. Thix wasn't entirely naïve. She understood that she was only feeling such gratitude and affection for this tall person because he was the kindest she'd met so far. He still owned her, that was a fact. But... at least he was asking. Not calling her something else she couldn't understand, and only suspect as to the insult of.

"Thix. Thix Krrglnik."

The human grimaced and actually laughed a little, a pleasant sound coming from his soft pale lips.

"May I just call you Thix? Thix is a pretty name."

Her face flushed an even darker shade of green. His elegantly matching features taking up her whole vision. What did it matter that he couldn't pronounce her full name properly? Besides, it wasn't like humans were good with the words.

"Yes. Thank you."

He gestured towards himself and spoke in the same carefully enunciated and drawn-out manner.

"My name, is Gerard Fournier. If we are not alone, call me Monsieur Fournier. Between us alone, you may use Gerard."

It was a lot to understand, but humans put a lot of weight on their names. She was happy at least he was letting her use his first in private.

"Yes. Jhey-rawr."

She hoped she hadn't mangled it too horribly; those soft round noises were really hard to get right. She didn't dare attempt his other name just yet. Not without a lot of practice. It sounded different from the trader's tongue too. Gerard gestured for her to sit again, so she sat. Having to pull herself up onto the cushioned bench once again, and balance against the odd bumpy motion of the wagon. The first thing he did after slapping himself strangely on the head, was to rummage around in a pack stowed away beneath his seat and offer her water. Thix accepted it and tried not to guzzle it down. She'd been so incredibly thirsty.

They didn't speak much for quite a while after. Mostly, he stared at the wall over her shoulder as if lost in his thoughts. Occasionally though, when she herself would drift off into wonderings about just what was going to happen to her, Thix would catch him looking at her. It wasn't the crude leering of her jailors, but still. His gaze was curious. It flustered her terribly and she was glad there was an excuse not to make more conversation.

She tried very much not to stare at him in a similar way, but it was hard. He was so... different. Not necessarily from other humans, but from a goblin man certainly. Pretty, in a way, but not in a manner that was unmanly. As she felt the uncertainty and terror of the morning receding more and more in the space of quiet between them, Thix found herself growing more and more tired. Finally she piped up, trying her best for a courteous tone.

"Gerard. May I sleep?"

He'd once more been gazing into nothing, and blinked perplexed for a few moments before once more his face twisted into an uncomfortable expression that added lines to his face.

"Yes. Please do. One moment."

Thix watched in mild confusion as he once more reached into the pack beneath his seat and removed a thick rectangle of square cloth. He offered it to her, and then mimed putting it under his head. Once more she wanted to protest, it was too much! Why was he giving her so many comforts? It wasn't the way things were done. It felt... wrong. Gerard must have seen her face because he waggled his pointing finger at her and smiled oddly.

"You want to make me happy?"

There was no question. He'd saved her life, and she was his now, and he was being so generous. Thix nodded. Gerard pointed at the seat.

"Take it. Sleep well."

Gingerly, she did as he bid. She'd been planning on sitting up and leaning against the wall, but found that the seat was just large enough to lay down in sideways. She was out in minutes after placing her cheek against the soft fluffy cloth, wrapped up cozy in the beautiful red cloak he had given her.

The light woke her up. It was different than before. The warm kind of light. Sunset. Not too bright either, just enough to rouse her out of sleep. Thix hadn't dreamt, which was really a mercy. Her eyes fluttered open, pupils shrinking to show off the red gems of her eyes as she took in the vision before her. Gerard, peered out the small window of the wagon, they were slowing. He took notice of her and inclined his head.

"We will stop here. Stay with me. Do you understand?"

Thix pushed herself upright, and couldn't resist the impulse to yawn and stretch, trying to blink the sleepiness from her eyes.

"Yes. I understand."

Gerard's eyes had strayed to her again. Lower. At her body. Little more than a glance, but she noticed. Thix realized that she'd forgotten she was utterly naked beneath the red cloak and had pushed it open during her stretching. The cloth parting to reveal one swaying green breast capped by a much darker nipple, and the thick curves of her thighs. Hurriedly she covered herself, blushing once again. She wasn't sure why, really. He'd seen so much more of her. They all had. Gerard was smiling, but averted his gaze swiftly and politely without a word.

Soon enough, the wagon stopped. Gerard opened the door, and stepped down, beckoning her to follow with his hand extended out to her. She spotted the churned mud, the upside world was so dirty, and found herself shaking her head before the thought had even crystalized in her mind. Thix looked imploringly at him and pointed desperately at the oversized red cloak that was pooling around her feet in a huge puddle.

"No. It be bad. Ruined."

"I can buy another one."

"No!"

Thix gathered up the excess fabric in her arms protectively. It was too special a thing to spoil. It clearly didn't mean much to him, but... she felt so childish to admit it, it was the most luxurious thing she'd ever been given in her life. With an odd look Gerard stepped closer.

"You walk, or, I carry. Yes?"

Oh no. That would almost be as bad. Carefully, and aware that she herself had already probably stained it beyond cleaning, Thix tried to wrap the few feet worth of extra soft red cloth around her body. It forced her to hold it in place with one hand and waddle a little. Once more, to her alarm, Gerard lifted her by the waist and placed her down onto the ground.

Before she knew what he was doing, or could protest, he had taken her hand in his and began patiently walking. She just about felt her heart leap up into her chest. What was he doing? This wasn't normal, was it? They'd barely met! Thix didn't spent too much time distressed at the sudden intimacy of his gentle fingers wrapped around hers.

He shouted up to the driver of their transport, a dark haired, bearded man who must not have been much older than himself though in less remarkable clothing. The wheels began to turn, taking it along the dirt street and around the other side of the large wood building in front of the them. There were other humans outside, standing and talking amongst themselves on the wooden enclosure of what she assumed must be the inn. Staring. She tried to make herself small, and hide as best as she could. The only option was to be as up close to Gerard as possible.

They entered through the front door into a large room smelling of smoke, cooking, and sour ale. Wooden tables filled the space, and a burning hearth fire made it stiflingly warm. The din of conversation hurt her ears, which flattened reflexively in a useless bid to muffle some of it. It quieted soon enough as the crowd got a look at the two of them. A heavy-set human woman marched across the floor, beady dark eyes flitting between her and Gerard.

A shrill voice pierced even more painfully through her ears as the woman began screeching at him. Thix doubted she could have followed the conversation between them even if she could understand them. It was too fast. The woman gestured at the both of them, but most emphatically at Thix. Gerard remained calm but insistent and only raised his voice once before searching his person and procuring more coins. Not gold as before, Thix noticed.

By that point, they had the entire inn's attention. Contempt, suspicion, disgust, too many other faces to count but few of them good. After some time, Gerard and the large human woman appeared to come to some kind of agreement. He gently tugged Thix's hand to follow him. She was very careful to stay close, to keep her eyes down, and made sure to not accidentally bump into anyone at the tables. They passed through the corridor that opened onto the kitchen, and out the door on the other side to the stables. The air was thick with animal smell and hay.

There was a small bench off to the side of the door littered with metal tools that Thix knew nothing about. Gerard released her hand so that he could move them elsewhere. He was muttering to himself in that oddly musical language he had tried with her before as he set down the items on a nearby table, eyes scanning around the vaulted space. Thix found her attention drawn away by the snorting of a horse, and looked up to see one of the creatures staring at her from behind it's enclosure.

"Thix."

Gerard called her name, and her attention back to him. He seemed unhappy, but was as gentle as ever in the way he beckoned her over towards the bench. It startled her enough to take a step back when Gerard crouched down to be at eye level with her, the heels of his boots leaving impressions in the dirt.

"I need to... clean you. With water. It will be cold, I am sorry."

Oh. She just couldn't stay dressed could she? It made sense though. She was dirty. Thix wanted to protest that she could wash herself, but decided it was probably a better idea to let him do it. She didn't even see where he would be getting the water. Being washed also meant parting with her cloak. She was being selfish about that though.

"Cold is good. It no trouble."

"Good. I will be with you soon."

Gerard stood once more, towering over her like a little tree, and grabbed a bucket on his way out of the stable.

Alone with the horses and the faint sound of conversation that had resumed inside the building, Thix reluctantly unwound the soft red cloth, careful to not let even a corner touch the ground. It was an unusual texture. It was soft, but clutched at her skin as she ran her fingers over it and left lines of light where she had touched. Like magic. She folded it as best she could into a square and placed it reverently on the nearest table, having to get up on her tiptoes to reach.

It felt odd being completely bare again, especially in such unfamiliar and inhospitable surroundings. She longed for the cool moisture of her clan's cave. The only thing to do was wait, so Thix sat on the little bench unreasonably pleased that her feet reached the ground. She hadn't been raised to feel shame in her nakedness. For most of her life she'd never really given it a second thought. Clothes were for warmth more than modesty. Apparently, her time away changed her. Thix had become incredibly conscious of her body. She found herself covering her breasts with her arm and clasping her thighs tightly closed. Just in case any other humans came outside and leered at her or tried to touch her.

Once more that confusing throb of anxiety and desire. She didn't want anything like that to happen, but her body clearly thought otherwise. Thix wished she had someone like herself to talk about it with, someone who could understand. That knowledge was supposed to be given to her after her rite though... which hadn't happened. A gloom settled over her, unwanted darkness that Thix tried to shake off. Dwelling on that would help nothing. Best to think of something else.

Freedom? Would she ever be free again? Gerard was a start. He didn't act at all like her previous master. He was gentle. So far. It was best she reminded herself of that. Things could change. Perhaps he was preparing her for a truly terrible fate, and was only being kind so that she would be cooperative. She was certainly being so now. Waiting for him. Naked. Willingly. What more things would she be willing to do for him? Another wave of heat lapped at the shores between her legs. Nope! Nope. Disgraceful trail of thought.

Perhaps it was merciful that Gerard returned at that moment. Awkwardly carrying a wooden bucket of water in both arms as he shuffled into the stable. It sloshed over the fabric of his clothes rendering spots of black even darker with wetness, before finally he set the bucket down beside the bench. Thix frowned sorrowfully. She should have gotten up and helped him, but what was done was done. Gerard removed his coat, folding it over one of the nearby stalls where another horse had peeked its head out curiously. He rolled up the sleeves of the white shirt, tightening the laces just below his elbows, and after perusing the options grabbed a hand brush and tested his palm against it. His expression seemed once more uncomfortable as he crouched down beside Thix and dipped the brush into the bucket.

"I will try to be careful."

He was true to his word. After rubbing the brush with an off-white lump Thix recognized as being soap, he began. Goosebumps rose over Thix's skin as Gerard brushed away the muck from her skin in slow careful circles. The first touch of his warm hand upon her shoulder made every muscle in her body go stiff and her heart begin to thump like a tiny drum in her chest. It was taken away much too soon.

"I am sorry. Are you good?"

Sorry? Thix twisted upon the bench unable to look him in the face. The throbbing in her chest had worked its way down to her belly and between her legs. Her throat felt dry and she wished there were more water for drinking. Sadly, there was not.

"No sorry. Is good. Do what need do. Please clean."

She shut her eyes, and tried to enjoy his touch without dwelling on what he must think of her. Scared, and embarrassed probably. She was, but likely not how he thought. She couldn't let him know, he would be disgusted with her. Surely. Once more she felt his hold upon her, always careful. His slender fingers were lines of heat across her skin. She hardly noticed the temperature of the water, which was in fact warmer than the mountain streams she had always bathed in. Scrub went the brush. Pour went the water. It was... comfortable, actually.

Thix breathed deep and let it out in a sigh. Then nearly squealed as she felt one large hand cupping the back of her head and the other nudging her backwards.