Hammer and Feather Ch. 14-21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Did you ever see him lose at Massacre when he didn't mean to?"

Kwes grinned. "Never."

"He was working on his aim and playing with luck before Olthon Camaenion was a thought in his father's mind. Our father isn't always trustworthy, but you can trust the lessons you learn from him."

"We are the ones responsible for teaching our daughter." Amtalia stepped forward. "She has to learn to hear the word 'no'. She needs to understand that sometimes she isn't permitted to do things for her safety."

"You don't listen, why should she? Teaching her that something is unsafe can be done without a flat refusal. Explain to her why you don't want her to do it, make her sit and think, and then have her tell you what she sees could be the consequences of her actions. 'No' is a challenge. We rise to meet challenges.

"Even if you were as harsh with her as my mother was with me, you won't beat it out of her. You can shatter her as the elves in Withia shattered me, and still, she will rise in defiance. If you want her to understand, explain it to her. If you want her to learn, teach her. If you want her to defy you in more ways than you knew were possible, keep telling her 'no' and expecting that to be the end of it. The choice is yours to make."

Amtalia stood silently for a moment, studying Syreilla. "She's going to grow up like you? To be a goddess?"

"No one can say for certain until she does. I can tell you she has three parents, like Kwes and I both do. Her second father is the clever boy and her grandfather is Odos. In temperament, she'll probably be a sweet girl, full of mischief and charm, curious, eager to learn, and willing to test herself against any challenge that presents itself."

"The clever boy." Amtalia sat heavily, nearly missing the edge of the seat.

"I was going to wait to tell her, Rook."

"It might help her understand. He's kind and gentle, but full of mischief. Had it been any other elf god I'd be having sharp words with them. But I would share my family with him gladly."

Kwes began speaking softly in elvish and after a moment Amtalia began to weep, covering her face. Cyran rose and gave Syreilla an expectant look. She gave him a nod and they slipped out.

Once outside, he wasn't sure where they should go, but his cousin took his hand and led him to another nearby tent. Tirnel and Belthamdir were seated on a rug and looking through a small jewelry box.

The girl turned and beckoned for them to join them and Tirnel smiled ruefully, "She likes to look at her treasures when she's unhappy. There always seems to be more in the box than the last time I opened it for her."

The child held up a tarnished silver bead with an excited expression and offered it to Cyran as he settled onto his knees to look. The box held a few bits of jewelry, pretty feathers, stones, and dried flowers that were losing their petals in the bottom of the box.

"Ooh! Feathers!" Syreilla reached her hand toward the box and Belthamdir started to chide her, smacking at her hand.

Tirnel broke into laughter. "You're a very rude bird, she says! Wait until she lets you look!"

"I'm a thieving rook and I like treasures!"

Laughing, he relayed that and Belthamdir closed the box.

Syreilla grinned. "Are you going to set traps around your box? I like it when people set traps."

Tirnel spoke to the child for a moment and she seemed to think very hard. Then the girl put the box in front of Syreilla with a frown and a dismissive wave saying something in elvish.

"She isn't going to set traps. If you're going to steal it, just take it."

"I don't want to steal it, I just want to look at the feathers."

"If you want to look at them you can ask nicely."

Lady Rook sat up straight and then huffed turning her back on them and the box. Belthamdir grinned and chattered to her grandfather before taking her box back. He sounded smug as he answered her.

"What...?" Cyran asked with a frown.

"I told her what I was once told, that 'easy' is the only thing that her aunt leaves alone. If she wants to keep her treasures from being stolen she should think about that."

"I only wanted to look at the feathers," Syreilla muttered with her back still turned.

Tirnel laughed and said something to Belthamdir who took out a feather and poked Syreilla in the back with it as if trying to attach it to her. At that moment the tent flap lifted and Baduil flapped and hopped in to perch on Syreilla's shoulder, peering down at Belthamdir.

"She wouldn't let me look at her feathers and now she's poking me with them."

The raven puffed up and made a peculiar clicking sound. Belthamdir shrank back looking startled. She asked her grandfather something.

"She wants to know what your raven said."

"Back away." A dwarf had come in and was looking at them with amusement. "Baduil is easy to understand."

"You understand him clearly because of Lady Rook's blessing." Edun smiled. "Why is Lady Rook sulking?"

"Belthamdir wouldn't let her look at the feathers and-" Nali started to explain.

"No." Tirnel interrupted, "Belthamdir is making her ask nicely to see them. She can't just reach her hand into her niece's box of treasures."

"She poked me."

The elf said something to his granddaughter who huffed a reply.

"She was playing with you. She wanted you to stop sulking and turn back around."

The raven turned and started to play with the half-elf's hair while making odd sounds. Nali laughed and came to sit between her and Belthamdir. "He always knows what to say to make someone feel better."

"He's a dear friend."

Syreilla turned carefully with a rueful smile, letting the bird stay on her shoulder. "I didn't mean any harm when I reached for them and if you don't ask no one can tell you no."

Tirnel sighed and covered his face as he said something in elvish. Belthamdir giggled and held out a feather with what sounded like an admonishment.

"She wants it back." He looked perplexed, "She says it was a gift."

"I know it was." The hideous face she made at her niece sent the child into a fit of laughter.

Cyran realized he was still holding the bead in his hands and tried to offer it back. Belthamdir gave him a smile that melted his heart and said something in elvish.

"You're nice and she likes you. You can keep it." Tirnel gave her a doting smile.

"It's one of her treasures." Syreilla fanned herself with a bright blue feather. "It's a better gift than you know."

Cyran laughed and inclined his head, "I will cherish it."

*Eighteen*

As Amtalia came in to see the children put to bed, Syr gave back the feather with a mock-pout earning a chiding from her niece that made Tirnel laugh. The elf refused to translate it but Amtalia seemed to approve, giving the girl enough kisses to make her giggle.

Tirnel took Cyran to inquire if a tent was being prepared for him and for the others and Syreilla stayed to see the children settled in for the night.

Nali's bed was made with the rest of the family's, the bedding crowded together as if they all slept close or cuddling. The dwarf girl changed into a nightshirt as Syr held up a blanket to give her some privacy and then they waited patiently for Amtalia to finish tucking her daughter in. Belthamdir seemed insistent that Nali sleep next to her.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Syreilla helped Nali under the covers next to the elf child while Amtalia refolded the girls' clothes.

"Sleep well and sleep safe. I won't be far."

"You're not staying with us?" Nali's brow furrowed.

"It would get crowded when my dragons came in to sleep. You'll meet them in the morning, dear one, but I can lay down some wards if it would make you feel safer."

"No," Amtalia spoke quietly but firmly. The woman then cleared her throat, "That's a kind offer. But I would prefer it if we didn't have to worry about the children getting up and injuring themselves or Kwes coming back from his watch and-and-"

Syr turned with a smile, "You're learning. I would use less dangerous wards. Wards of holding or perhaps something that would leave the intruder blind and mute but not dead or in agony."

"I know those!" Nali sat up.

Laughing, Syreilla pressed her gently back down. "I would be surprised if you didn't. They're not that difficult and if you don't want to hurt someone, they're useful. I'll have Baduil keep watch outside when I go. If he calls out, you cast the wards at the entrance and worry about who it is and their intentions later, my Nali. Call for me right after."

"And if the wards won't-if they don't-they said the air is too dry here. Edun said that I need a bucket to draw from your well."

"You have my feather. When you lay a ward in your defense you don't need to think about where to pull from or how to do it. You can't protect an army with just my feather, but you can protect yourself. And perhaps one tent."

Amtalia reverentially offered the golden feather that had been left with the clothes and smiled warmly as the child relaxed into the bedding clutching it.

"Edun needs a feather. He has an old coin that doesn't work anymore laying on his altar."

"I remember it."

"I told him you could remake it. Tirnel... he told him it needed to be destroyed. It's the symbol on the enemy's banners and it made him angry."

"I'll see what I can do."

The dwarf girl yawned and Syreilla bent to kiss her head, murmuring once more, "Sleep well and safely, dear one."

She stroked Belthamdir's cheek with a reassuring smile before she stepped away. Amtalia gave her a look that was almost warm, inclining her head, as Syr slipped out of the tent.

Nali's sleepy suggestion sent her looking for Edun. He was in his tent, lying in bed with his eyes closed as she came in. Instead of waking him, she went to look at the altar. The coin she'd given him years ago looked exactly the same. Vezar's symbol stared up at her and her heart ached.

The sound of covers being thrown back abruptly made her turn and Baduil flew to perch on a wooden frame over the banked fire.

"Lady Rook? I thought for a moment someone had come to... Why didn't you wake me?"

"Habit." She tried to give him a smile. "I don't usually wake people when I sneak in."

He breathed a laugh. "You came to see the altar?"

"Nali told me about the old sigil, and of the way that Tirnel reacted to it." She looked back down at it. The thought of having it destroyed was like a knife in her heart and it made her want to stick a knife in the False Rook for ruining the symbol that stood on the other side.

"I understand that it hurts him. They've lost so much and so many horrors have come with that banner waving overhead. But I know what it was. The thought of parting with it is painful."

"I know why you want to keep it. It's a symbol of before the world went mad."

"Yes." Edun looked at her sadly. "It means a great deal to me, not only because of what it once was but... If I keep it, I worry that now they know I have it, someone will come in and destroy it or use it against me somehow. Nali suggested I ask you to change it into a new sigil."

"I won't change it, Edun. It means a great deal to me as well. But I can hold onto it for both of us." Syr gave him a sad smile. "I don't have many treasures but I will cherish this if you give it to me."

"Take it and keep it, safely and well, Lady Rook."

"Baduil, do you have any-" She laughed as the raven puffed up and preened, letting a feather fall. "Thank you, dear one."

Slipping the old sigil down into her front pocket she picked up the feather and ran her fingers up it. The inky black turning to gold. She offered it to Edun with a warm smile, "You were always meant to be able to call me to you, Edun."

He was smiling but tearful as he took it.

Syreilla looked at the small shrine curiously with one eye and then the other. "You do know it's missing something?"

"I've always thought so but I've never known what." Edun took a breath and wiped his eyes before studying the shrine himself. "Ahevhethrah made it clear that it must remain simple."

"Let me fix it for you." With a grin, she reached out and touched the black figure's hand. As she pulled back, the figure of a small golden rook was alighting on it, wings outstretched as it landed with talons grasping the black hand beneath it securely.

Edun laughed and for a moment she caught a glimpse of the same shy smile she remembered from when he was a child.

"The hand is meant to be extended in invitation, Lady Rook."

"He invited and a rook landed on this one." She gave him her most innocent smile.

"How Odos managed to have a child so like his father and still so like himself..." Edun was grinning. "Ahevhethrah bursts with pride when he turns his face to you."

"Father says children are meant to be a comfort to their parents but I've always heard that they're a punishment from the gods on your parents' behalf for everything you did wrong as a child. Everything about Grandfather that aggravates the old man and all of Father's worst traits..." She plucked at her sleeves proudly with a smug smile as Edun covered his face and began to laugh. It resonated with her grandfather's laughter.

"One man's punishment is another's reward." Edun sighed, and gave her a warm smile. "Thank you, Lady Rook."

The words tingled at the back of her neck and Syr stepped forward to press her forehead to Edun's. "I'll tell my husbands to give you sigils as well. I hope I never end up stuck ever again, but if I am and you need me, I want you to have someone looking after you."

"Edun," Baduil croaked before coming to perch on her shoulder.

"That's a good idea."

"What is?" Edun looked at the bird with a smile.

"No one has said he can't look in on you as often as I like. Baduil will help me look after you. He's good company."

"I'd like that." He smiled shyly and reached to stroke the bird's chest. "He is beautiful."

"If I had to give up Baduil or my talons, I'd give up my talons." She grinned as the bird began to make happy noises. "I'll let you get some rest, Edun."

Stepping out of his tent, she stroked her raven for a moment. "Do you think we've gotten the False Rook's attention yet? Are her banners raised?"

Meeting the raven's eyes she knew the answer.

"Good. Is there a comfortable place you can keep watch from? I know you need a little rest too."

He gave her an annoyed look before flying to take up a perch on top of Edun's tent. From there he should be able to see both tents well enough. As she looked, she realized that there were rooks on many of the tents. No one should be sneaking through without causing a ruckus.

The feeling of Vedhethrah requiring her presence sent her trotting through the tents with a grin.

*Nineteen*

"Lady Rook should be here hearing all of this if it will be her choice-"

Syvezar tried not to smile as Vedhethrah's low rumble of annoyance silenced the angry elf.

"Ruthanar, we will make suggestions to her now that we understand your position. Our treasure would have been fidgeting like a child the entire time and she plays with her fire when she's bored."

Fainor lifted his glass of bitter tea. "The hint of flame in her eyes is unnerving. I will trust your words when you say she can bring dragon's fire to hand at will."

"Perhaps we should send for her." Aenir rubbed his temples, "We're all growing tired but I don't know how anyone can sleep without finding a way forward."

Closing his eyes, Syvezar touched her threads and felt her amusement. Vedhethrah was already summoning her. He opened them again and gave his other half a sour look. "You could let me reach for her."

"You allowed her to leave our sight." The dragon growled and the elves shifted away from him. "I have kept my hand on her threads since."

"She isn't permitted to leave your sight?" Emlinor looked at them speculatively.

"It's her punishment for leaving us for so long but it wasn't her fault. Now that she's come back to us I'm willing to-"

"You are not the god of punishment." The dragon's pupils narrowed and so did his eyes. "It is my choice."

"I will take your punishments, beloved." Syreilla slipped back into the tent with a grin. "The two of you shouldn't bicker."

She gave Syvezar an affectionate kiss and sat next to Vedhethrah who inhaled deeply.

"You stink of dwarf again."

"They don't stink. I visited my Nali. You'll meet her in the morning and you'll be polite or we'll find out if dragon's fire scorches dragon's hide."

At her sharp words, the dragon pulled her into his lap and put his arms around her, resting his head on her shoulder.

"It would be kind to the child if you convinced him to accept some clothing before you introduced them." Fainor frowned.

"He needs metal against his skin."

"We may have some spare mail."

"I'll lend him some of mine," Aenir muttered.

"Did you call me here for that?"

"No, my treasure." Syvezar gave her an amused smile as she tried to adjust herself on Vedhethrah's lap with limited success, the dragon wanted her where he wanted her. "We called you because they cannot sleep without seeing a way forward. Their numbers are too few to make an attack even with Vedhethrah's help. We would need the dwarves."

"Or fewer soldiers standing across from you?" She tilted her head.

"That would be ideal." Aenir snorted.

"I'll go over and tell them to go home tomorrow." She grinned madly. "What do people do when they want to talk to the enemy?"

"They ride under a flag of truce to the middle of the field and wait. If the enemy has any honor they meet you there to speak, but this enemy has no honor." Fainor gave her a peeved look and Vedhethrah growled in warning.

"Syvezar and Cyran can go across early in the morning and do that."

"They'd be taken, Lady. These soldiers have no respect for-"

"I'm counting on that. Baduil says that the banners of the False Rook are there. I haven't been shy or sneaky in using my power, she knows I'm here. She might run from me if I crossed the field first, but she'll be there to greet them. Like her mother, she'll try to intimidate them to make herself feel more powerful.

"They can give the warning that if the rules aren't followed, if they're taken into the camp, I will be following. And my Syvezar can make the offer that if the army disperses they'll be allowed to live through the day. I always try to give people a choice."

"When you walk across the field-"

Syreilla began to laugh. "I won't be walking. I intend to fly."

The elves stared at her and Emlinor blinked, shaking his head, "Kwes said that people sometimes go mad around her."

"My father's rooks have that effect on people, I was told."

"How will you fly, my treasure?" Syvezar looked at her curiously. Vedhethrah was scowling.

"She intends to use the siege engine. It will send her over to the other line."

"It will be a sight to see." She grinned madly. "If I can make a suggestion, Syvezar should go sit with Cyran and help him to understand what he needs to do. I need to sit with my dragon and persuade him to let me do what I need to do."

Syvezar felt a twinge that she was choosing to spend the night, or what was left of it, alone with Vedhethrah. The elves began filing out and Syreilla took hold of his arm.

"Go with Aenir, my Vedhethrah. Let him lend you his spare chain shirt and I'll meet you wherever they give us to sleep." She smiled at the smug dragon until he was out of sight and then turned her attention up to him. "Beloved?"

"You want to spend the night alone with your dragon? Has my choosing to be in a more human form dulled your desire for me?"

"No, beloved." She smiled and wrapped herself around him, kissing him sweetly. "I need to calm him down so that he'll let me do what I need to do tomorrow. You have a great deal more trust in me and I don't want you to feel as if you're being punished for it. Let me show you some of what I plan.