Hammer and Feather Ch. 52-57

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We're here looking for Valim, has he come home, Evran?"

"I'm not expecting him home until the war ends, do I know you?"

"Old men and their bad eyesight. I've been here a half a dozen times." The one who kicked Kwes muttered and the others laughed.

The men dismounted.

"I'll take the-"

"You won't take a thing."

Kwes stepped back as the man moved to shove him again, letting the oaf stumble.

"You're as quick as an elf aren't you?" One of the others sneered drawing a short blade and Kwes put on his best impression of Syreilla's wide, mad grin.

"Maybe you should all leave now and not trouble these good people."

"He looks like a fucking elf but with the wrong ears." The one with a drawn weapon advanced on him and he began moving backward drawing them toward the barn.

Evran came out of the house. "Leave that boy alone. If you want to talk, come inside."

"We'll be inside when we're ready, get that pretty daughter of yours washed up for us." One of them leered and Valim came around the corner of the house with a pitchfork in his hands.

"He tried to lie about that deserter we'll definitely be-"

Kwes didn't wait to let them finish. He disarmed the man menacing him with the short blade and killed him quickly. The one who had kicked him was next and by then Valim had reached them with his pitchfork. It could barely be called a fight.

Itia came flying back and landed on his shoulder. I don't see any more on the roads here but these men will be looked for. More will come to find out why they never came back and these people won't be safe.

"Your family needs to leave, Valim. It's not safe here for them anymore. There aren't any more riders coming right now-"

He parried the pitchfork thrust.

"Lady Rook is my sister. Forgive me if I don't make that widely known at the moment."

Valim dropped the pitchfork like he'd been burned and stepped back looking sick.

"We have the same father. I inherited a little less of the divine but the children of Odos are all talented poets or thieves, sometimes both. I have a songbird, not a rook or a raven to help look after me."

"Rooks and ravens?" Valim bent over and breathed deeply.

"She loves her rooks and they love her, but it's the raven she keeps you have to look out for. I had to stop her from killing a friend of mine because he aimed his bow at it. It's best to leave birds in general alone. She has a soft spot for them." Kwes walked over to pat the man on the back, "It's why feathers are lucky things to carry and it doesn't matter what kind you have. Children and birds are the two things you don't harm if you want to stay on her good side. Anything else is negotiable."

The man breathed a laugh. "Negotiable?"

"As a mortal, she trained under mages. If you're not a bad sort but you've done some bad things she tends to go easy on you. Easier than Ahevhethrah will."

"Who is that?" Evran was studying him with a frown.

"Atos and Hevtos became one god again. They do it now and then, why, I'm not sure. He has all the powers and duties of both. When you go to get judged, it'll be him you face unless you have a feather and ask for the Golden Rook. Hers are weighed by a different measure. If you have a gentle soul I recommend it, if you don't you should take your chances with Ahevhethrah. He's fair. She coddles the gentle ones and is fire and fury if you're not.

"The dragon on the field, by the way," Kwes grinned down as Valim looked up, "was Vedhethrah, the god of punishment and pain, he's one of her husbands. She has two. One is sweet and reasonable and the other is vicious, death on wings."

"Two sides to her and two husbands as different as night and day? She might be one that splits down the middle someday like you say Atos and Hevtos do." Evran was studying him. "I could feel when you came in that there was something about you. Like a shimmer in the air but you feel it with your skin instead of seeing it. If you say you're the child of a god I might believe it."

"I am. I'm mortal, but I've rubbed shoulders with gods and goddesses because of my father. My bird, Ilyn, likes you and she likes Evecia. She wants you both to be safe. You need to leave."

"Where would we go? This is all I have, my family has lived here-"

"And your family will die here if you don't leave. Edun Rocan isn't my name, but it's the name of a friend of mine. He was raised on a farm outside of Withia and after the war, he wants to go back there. If you go there... His stepfather stole it from him. I can probably get some money for you to buy it back for him. You can stay there until it's safe for you to return home."

"What's your name?" Evran looked at him curiously.

"Most people call me Kwes, but my sister calls me Magpie. Magpie is the name our father gave me."

"Keep going by Edun." Valim took another deep breath and straightened up. "Pack up, Da. We'll take their horses and leave by dawn."

*Fifty-five*

Nali took a tray of food out to the dragon staring over the parapet. "Lord Vedhethrah?"

"She should be returning by now."

"She will. Master Grimgrip says she pushes herself too much. She's like my Uncle Oduil; she'll work herself to death if no one makes her stop for breaks. Father is better about it. It used to upset his mother that he'd stop in the middle of something and come back to it later."

The dragon exhaled and then smiled at her. "She lives for the work, for the challenge of it. I'm the god of punishment and pain but to her, I'm pleasure and reward. My treasure will return to me but I worry over her."

He eyed the food curiously.

"Razi made you a few things. They said you wouldn't like the bread or the spiced vegetables but she makes good sausages and the boar was roasted and basted in beer. She sent half a chicken too."

His low chuckle put her at ease.

"Thank you, Nali. Thank Razi as well, this is thoughtful."

"I worry about Lady Rook too but for some reason, I'm more worried about you right now, Lord Vedhethrah. You seem so unhappy."

The dragon's smile widened. "You are her priestess, your concern for me is a reflection of hers."

"She seems like a good wife." The amused voice came from behind her and as she turned she recognized the dwarf approaching them.

"Or-Master Fellforger." Nali dipped into a bow.

Orsas laughed. "Nali Rookfriend, it's always a pleasure. Introduce me to Syreilla's husband."

"I know you," Vedhethrah sounded sour. "You want to steal my treasure from me."

"I flirt with her. She's a beautiful woman and she appreciates the parts of me the other Fellwives don't, but she's been clear that her heart and everything else belongs to her dragon."

The rumbling sound that came from the dragon next to her was almost approving.

"You've met Master Fellforger, Lord Vedhethrah?"

The dwarf grinned. "No, Vezar Edra did. But he met me while Syreilla was angry with him."

"She kissed him," Vedhethrah growled and glowered at the dwarven god as Fellforger broke into laughter.

"No one can steal that girl. She's your wife and I saw the control Hevtos had over her. He told her to stop burning her uncle's temples and wiping his name from mouth and memory and if it had been anyone else she would have defied them. Syreilla was angry and she wasn't done yet. Hevtos gave the command and she accepted it. That's his Golden Rook."

"She is." The dragon smirked and then gestured at the food, "Do you wish to take a meal with me? Nali has been very thoughtful and trying to look after me."

"She's a good girl for the most part, but borrowing things without asking and stealing away in the night will get her into trouble." Orsas gave her a pointed look and she flushed.

"My treasure's influence. She loathes asking for permission and unless the matter is dire she refuses to do it." The dragon made a displeased rumbling sound in his chest, "As for stealing away, I may chain her to our nest bed when she returns. My other half does not hold her as tightly as I do and she slips away from him."

"That was how Kaduil Hardjaw and Syreilla Hammersworn got their youngest." Orsas grinned and took a sausage. "He had to keep her home for a few weeks so she wouldn't do anything rash to a family that had insulted her oldest boy."

Vedhethrah took a bit of the boar and returned the grin. "He must have had stamina. My treasure is insatiable when her mind is turned to the pursuit of pleasure. We can lose track of months on end, they pass like days."

The dwarf girl's face flushed and she glanced toward the hatch she'd come in through.

Orsas chuckled before suggesting, "Nali, go get some beer for us, ask your father what kind his mother liked."

Gratefully, she nodded and hurried away as their conversation resumed more quietly.

"I had forgotten that children should not hear some things." Vedhethrah's apologetic words were the last thing she heard as she ducked under the hatch.

Nali made her way down through the guardrooms and then toward the library. Halfway there she got a feeling he might have gone to the temple. She changed direction, but once it was in sight, the feeling hit her that he might have gone home. Frowning, she turned to go that way, but Khiril Orefinder was standing with his arms folded in her path.

"Master-"

"He sent you to ask about beer to politely excuse you. They were talking about things that a child has no business hearing."

She blinked at him.

"I know Lady Rook doesn't like to lose but she could at least let you get to one building before redirecting you."

Laughter bubbled out of her as she realized what he was saying.

"You've been sending my father running around to make me run around?"

"And Lady Rook was spoiling it." He smiled ruefully. "I can walk you home, Nali."

"Thank you. I was hoping to see you again, I remembered that I wanted to ask you about the kitchen."

Khiril grinned and gave her a knowing look. "It took you a few moments to figure it out."

"I didn't know you could really do that!"

He laughed and shook his head. "I liked your father's explanation. I might invite Syreilla's father back into a mine if I can get her to drag him out by his nose hairs."

"He'd have to upset her, and if she found out you arranged it-"

"I know better than to try to get on her bad side." Khiril snorted. "She doesn't threaten, she warns and I've been warned. We get along well for the most part but she is warmer with Fellforger."

"He's easy to like."

The peculiar smile on Khiril's face made her blush and she didn't know why. He chuckled and pointed at the house. "You can go talk to your father but don't bother taking up the beer, they'll be elsewhere by the time you get back. Fellforger sends his compliments to Razi for her cooking."

"I'll let her know. I may take up some beer anyway. If they're there they can drink it, if not, Khadom likes company."

"Khadom does? Or Khurum?" He laughed as she blushed again. "You're too young to be looking for a husband but I understand. Lady Rook isn't happy alone and you're very close to her at the moment. As she gets more priests and priestesses it will wane."

The thought made her heart ache and she wasn't sure why.

"She's going to scold me if she sees that disappointed look on your face." Khiril squeezed her shoulder. "Her blessing won't go away, she loves you, but you might find her feelings bleeding over into yours less."

"I like being close to her, but I suppose... when she goes home for what Lord Vedhethrah has in mind that might be something I could live without sharing. He's nice and he's sweet to her but..."

"But you're far too young to be thinking about that." He smiled and she couldn't help but return it. "Go home, Nali, and behave yourself."

*Fifty-six*

Syr worked quietly on the lock for a time. It was clever and required patience.

"My name is Ezphine. And you won't be able to pick it."

"I do like this lock. It reminds me of some of Batran's better work."

The woman exhaled loudly and then asked, "Batran?"

"Batran Hammersworn. I used to have a different name and he was like a father to me. I can tell you the story if you'd like."

"You sound like the old man who was here." She relaxed in her chains just a bit. "He wouldn't shut up." After a pause, she added, "But some of the stories were good."

"Odos is my father. He's an unreliable trickster most of the time but he's got a way with words and when he's true to his word he can be impressive."

"You're young." Ezphine sounded a little sad and Syr glanced up with a grin.

"Underestimate me at your peril."

Another silence fell and she heard the sound she was listening for. Gently, and with a smooth movement the mechanism turned and the lock opened.

Ezphine sputtered.

"All a clever thief needs is tools and time. Batran said we were the best investment he ever made."

"We?" The filthy woman gave her a baffled look.

"I was split in two. Syreilla Hammersworn and Syreilla the Rook. My mortal half has died and been given over to the dwarven gods. I'm the divine half."

"You're a dwarf?"

Syr broke into laughter. "If I was, I'd be prettier." She stroked her chin with a grin. "We were brought into Clan Hammersworn. Batran bought us off of the headsman's block. Hammersworn married a dwarf and had children. I chose a dragon, but it's all a little more complicated than I can sum up quickly."

"Dwarves are rude."

"So am I. We get along well."

Ezphine snorted a laugh and then sighed. "Even if you can unchain me, how can we escape and what would I do? I'm just a tool and a poor one at that."

"She draws you out with a door? Have you looked the place over thoroughly?" Syreilla got to work on the next lock. "We can debate the rest of what you said later. I've been showing her soldiers that she's weak and the only thing she has to offer is suffering. I don't mind showing you too."

"You think she's weak?" The voice was resigned but slightly curious. "She's always seemed strong to me."

"An illusion. It takes more strength to endure a beating than it does to give one. The dwarves have a saying, 'It takes the weight of the world to make a diamond, the finer the stone the more weight it bore.' The dirt under your feet is soft, and stone can be cut, broken, carved, all with steel. Diamond is fucking hard. You can only cut it with another diamond.

"To someone who's only known sandstone, granite seems like the hardest thing they can imagine. You and I know better. If you were a poor tool she would have discarded you the way she discarded her own daughter. She keeps you. She keeps you like this because she wants to break your spirit.

"I was shattered as a child, I was unwanted and unloved. I was beaten and harmed in ways no child should be. Filling the gaps with rage until I learned to fill them with stronger things served me well. Stoke the fire within like a forge."

The woman slowly got to her feet. "I do like you Syreilla. And I have fire and rage. I have nowhere to put it."

"That, I can help with."

The second lock went more quickly than the first but there was a long silence until it did.

"Let's see what we can find in here. I pulled my father out, but I don't expect anyone to pull me. I discourage them to call for me unless they need me, even if they think I need help."

"Why?"

"I like a challenge. If you tell me I can't, I will just to spite you."

"A goddess of vengeance should be spiteful, I suppose."

"I'm the goddess of righteous vengeance. And the protector of gentle souls. I'm only a spite-filled nightmare if you've earned it. Or if I'm in a bad mood. Malevolence is a tool in my kit, like a lock pick or dragon's fire. Some people find me delightful."

Chuckling, Ezphine asked, "Who? Dwarves?"

"Dwarves, and children. Sometimes I come across as frightening but they see me for what I am very quickly."

"What's that?"

"'A good monster', as my Uncle once said. A monster that other monsters are afraid of and they don't have to be."

"I like that. That's..." The woman sighed, "That's what I had hoped for."

"You can rely on a Rook, Ezphine. Tell me about yourself. What are your gifts?"

"No one is better with steel, Syreilla, I work the forge, I..." The filthy woman looked down at her empty hands, opening and closing them. "I don't feel right without my hammer."

"Ezphine, the goddess of the forge. Have you met Orsas Fellforger? He's a flirt but he does good work." Syr went back and hefted one of the chains.

"No. What are you doing?"

"What do you need? If I can give you a pit of dragon's fire, you have steel, do you really need the hammer to make a hammer? Batran said that the trick was knowing what you wanted and beating the metal until it gave in and saw things your way. The goddess of the forge, the goddess who knows steel best, may have an easier time persuading it. What do you need?"

"Do you think you can summon dragon's fire here?"

"Whether I can or not, I know I can mix it. I have all I need."

There was a moment of silence.

"I need to rip the... I forged these chains with steel that I'd put a ribbon of black powder through. It's a powder made from the water of Nimphon's black lake. The steel will be useless."

"I'll ask how you got that another time. I think I can help with the ripping. Let's get this metal hot."

"Without a forge, I don't think you can get it hot enough."

"Where would you recommend putting the fire?" Syr grinned.

"Here," Ezphine moved to a corner, "It will hold some of the heat at least but it won't work, Syreilla."

She moved to the corner and used her talons to dig out a shallow pit in the thin layer of dirt before she laid out the small ceramic bowl and pulled her powders and the two vials from her pockets.

"Are you telling me I can't? Or you can't?" Syr grinned as she started to mix them.

"I'm telling you I think you're insane." The woman sounded amused but she inched closer to watch.

"Probably." She breathed on the mixture and it flared to life reaching for her. Backing away, she grinned at it. "It'll eat stone but not for long, there isn't much on it to make a good meal. Give me any loose stone you don't need or metal you don't want, to keep it alive."

"Alive?" Ezphine was moving as she asked.

"Alive. Perhaps I should have mentioned, the dwarves call me the Lady of smoke and flame."

"What do the humans call you?"

Stone was brought and it was laid carefully to encourage the dwindling flame to consume it as if it were wood and a little steel was added as it began to devour the stone.

"Lady Rook. At the moment they're terrified of me and being polite. The elves are being very polite as well, for the most part. According to them, my true form is a bird of brilliant flame. I'm claimed by all three."

"You're young but you've been busy." The woman took up one of the chains and braced herself, with impressive strength she ripped the mooring from the wall. She did it a second time to tear out the other as well.

Syr didn't reply as Ezphine used the chains to strike the wall until a few large pieces of stone came free. Whether she knew it or not, the goddess of the forge was using her gifts to make the stone and steel do as she pleased despite whatever she'd put in the steel. A rough stone housing was made for the fire and she laid the chains over it, they began to heat with impressive speed as did the chamber. It was also filling with smoke and the smell of hot stone and steel, but there was a breeze being drawn down from somewhere in the smoke that blackened the ceiling.

"I don't lend my talons lightly, but if you need a tool..." She withdrew them both and offered them hilt first to the goddess of the forge. "I stole the rest of the power from Rielle's stone after I stripped her of her godhood and kicked her burning carcass through the door to Nimphon. It's in these. Borrow what you need."