Hammer and Feather Ch. 58-64

Story Info
Vedhethrah gains a nest, Ezphine starts coming into her own.
16.6k words
4.85
1.4k
2
0

Part 8 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/22/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers

Notes: 1) If you see this story anywhere but Literotica it isn't supposed to be there. 2) Because of shorter chapters, this is being posted in chunks.

* * * * *

*Fifty-eight*

Syr watched with amusement as the soldiers packed up as quietly as they could in the first light of the false dawn and left with respectful bows in her direction. Ezphine had fallen asleep next to the fire and woke with a start as Magpie came out of his tent and began to build it back up.

"I didn't mean to wake you. I'm just getting the fire ready to make breakfast before we go."

"You should have woken me, Syreilla." The goddess sat up and stretched.

"You needed a little rest, sometimes we all do."

"Our friends were quiet when they left." Magpie eyed the cart and the cage of chickens next to it. "They didn't take the-"

"They started to but I gave them a look and they left them."

"Evran told them they could have them for riding with us."

"He was offering them something to make sure you weren't robbed and murdered. They each have a feather, he paid them well enough."

"You and your feathers." Ezphine sighed, settling back in next to the fire. "You'll really spare them if they have a feather?"

"They left her service and they have a feather. I'll spare them, for now. They can either make amends for what they've done while they're alive or they can do it after death. If they choose not to have me intercede they'll go to Vedhethrah and my husband will make them wish they'd never been born."

"I want to meet your beautiful dragon."

"It's a long walk..." The thought occurred to her as if it were whispered in her ear and she laughed, "May I see your bracelet, Magpie? I'll give it back."

"You want to summon Cyran?"

"No, I want to speak to him."

Her brother came closer and held out his wrist. "I don't want to take it off."

She laid her hand on his wrist and smiled, directing a thought to her cousin. "Cyran, how many of the other young gods have learned to use the doors?"

His bafflement was fluttering at the edge of her mind.

"Just think the answer, cousin."

"Three, I think," his thought was a faint whisper.

"Do they feel like using them? I would like to use my door and it would be best if others were using theirs at the same time. It doesn't matter where they go, just opening and closing them in different places... You're not required to remain there. She didn't release Ezphine, I did."

"I can ask."

"Put a hand on Olthon to send word back to me."

Ezphine and Magpie were looking at her curiously.

"Were you able to speak to him? What were you touching?"

"His sigil, and yes."

How many are you carrying? Itia came to perch on his shoulder and Magpie let her under his cowl.

"He has what he needs for now. That's what's important." Syr answered the bird with a grin. "If you're making breakfast you should do it quickly. When they start opening doors I'll take you all with me."

"Where are we going?" Ezphine sat up narrowing her eyes. "I don't want to go from one prison to another."

"You won't. And I'll teach you how to open the doors on your own if you want me to. I taught Cyran."

She studied Syreilla for a long moment. "It can be taught?"

"The trick of it... it's like when you use your talents, like magic, intention and will pushed forward. The doors are part of you like your gifts are. The same way you reach for those gifts you open the door. It tends to happen without thinking about it but the feeling of it is something you can focus on."

Ezphine looked into the middle distance and then shook her head. "I don't understand. I could never do magic."

"What did you feel when you struck the stone with the chain? You put your will forward and told it to fall as a slab. I opened my first door lined in dragon's fire. It's a part of me, it feels the same to me to summon it as it does to summon up the door.

"Reach out your hand and tell the place in front of you to open like a tent flap or a curtain, tell it to take you where you want to go. That's how the doors work. I don't know the why of it any more than I know why the ceramic bowls hold dragon's fire better than steel."

The others had come out of their tent and were looking at them with awe and more than a little fear as Ezphine stood and lifted her hammer. A door to the overgrown ruins of a stone cottage opened in front of her and then closed as quickly as she stumbled back a step.

"Good. Be aware that in another god's home they can shut your doors and sometimes even outside of that they can mess with them or yank them elsewhere. It's rude. I tend to set everything in sight on fire and start killing priests when they do that."

Ezphine breathed a laugh and then gave her a grin, "You do that anyway, Syreilla."

"I can be a good guest!"

"Haven't you robbed most of the other gods?" Magpie teased with a grin.

"I wasn't a guest while I was robbing them!" Syr heard her name snapped and turned her head.

Ezphine tensed and looked at her. "She went to visit. She's shouting at us."

"The doors make a sound. She heard a door and thought it was me opening it. Anyone trying to open a door to us might find it pulled to her. Get that wagon packed, Magpie. One way or another we need to leave. Now." Stretching, Syr tilted her head one way and then the other before murmuring, "Ahevhethrah, Grandfather, can you make sure Cyran doesn't open a door to-"

A door opened in front of them and both Cyran and Ahevhethrah stepped through.

"Olthon is visiting Belthamdir. She was lonely and upset. The others are opening doors and peeking through, they don't trust themselves to step through them."

"She's aware we've escaped now. If she's pulling doors that may be best. Ezphine, this is my cousin, Cyran, and my grandfather, Ahevhethrah. We can do introductions properly later but I need to get all of these people elsewhere. The elven encampment will do in a pinch, or Bhiraldur. I promised Ezphine I wouldn't take her from one prison to another and your home is a little restricted at the moment, Grandfather."

"Your father might have a place for them. Come. We can pass through several places." Ahevhethrah beckoned as the others were hurriedly packing up the camp and loading the wagon.

Syr stepped in to help, putting out the fire and lifting the box the tents were in with Valim as Evran and Evecia got the horse in its tack and into place in front of the wagon and Magpie saddled the other animals.

"Are we allowed to help like that?" Ezphine asked with a frown.

"They aren't using their gifts. Uncle Odos teaches his children never to forget the simpler mortal ways of doing things. He prefers them." Cyran stepped forward to help Magpie but Syr caught the glance, asking for permission, before he did.

"Ha! Father never does this kind of work himself. If it doesn't involve his wits he'll use them to trick someone else into the heavy lifting."

Ahevhethrah chuckled. "Not always, dear one."

"Some tasks are dull, Syreilla. It's more fun to get someone else to do them." Magpie gave her a grin. "It was almost worth being shot in the belly with that crossbow not to have to do chores on that trip."

She gave him a flat look and Cyran laughed quietly.

"You're lucky I love you and lucky our father would blister my ears if I offered to put that quarrel back in for you."

"I've been lucky since the day I was born." He grinned and she contorted her face, sticking out her tongue.

"My grandchildren." Ahevhethrah beamed at them and it felt as if the sun were shining warmly. "As mischievous as my son but made in my image."

"His hair!" Evecia gasped and pointed at Magpie. "It changed back."

"Dry branches too close to the fire." Magpie ran his hand through it. "I needed it darkened. I look so much like Syreilla that they notice me even without the points on my ears."

"Dry... dry branches?" Syr blinked at him.

"An elvish curse, dear one." Their grandfather was grinning. "They aren't fond of fires in their forests."

"Elves are odd."

"I prefer their curses to some of those you've used." His eyebrow arched and she winced, dipping her head.

Ezphine looked curious but before she could ask, Evran spoke up. "We're ready, your Greatness."

"Do not stop your wagon until I command you to. There will be doors laid one in front of the other." Ahevhethrah smiled and beckoned as they all fell into a line.

Instead of letting the horses follow the wagon, Syr grinned and gave a nod to her grandfather. She let Ezphine mount the extra horse and walked in front of them, opening the door as large as she could. The flap doors were more difficult to hold and as she let them ride through to the ruined mine on the Acrine she drew on the power pooling there to make it easier. They went through another to the edge of the forest she remembered near Withia, again to the place Cyran had camped with Magpie outside of Lew for another dip into a pool of power, and to the trees behind the elven encampment. She took them to the gate of Bhiraldur to the dismay of the dwarves there as they walked out of thin air and then back into it, taking just a little more before going to Navisse's home.

Olthon flew to greet them and Belthamdir came running.

"Papa! You came back!"

"Cyran needed his bird and didn't have him." Syr gave the girl a small smile. "Was something wrong?"

Forgive the child, Syreilla. Her mother is busy with the other children and she misses her father and grandfather. Olthon came to perch on her shoulder.

"I'm not angry with her. I understand how terrible it is to feel alone, but she isn't. Seek out Navisse, dear one, seek out Braigon, or cause enough trouble that your mother has to pay attention to you. This bird has a task. He will come to you to be your companion after it's finished."

"Don't tell her to cause trouble, Syreilla. She's my daughter and she's related to you. The things she can get into would make you proud. It shouldn't be encouraged." Magpie dismounted to embrace the girl.

"Learning to cause just enough trouble to get what you want and not enough to be chased out with torches and pitchforks is a very valuable lesson!" Syr grinned and Belthamdir gave her a look of exasperation.

"I wouldn't be that bad, Aunt Syreilla."

"A little bit of trouble can go a long way." Navisse joined them with a wry smile. "I'll try to keep her company."

"I don't speak that language." Ezphine eyed the elf warily.

"She pointed out that a little bit of trouble can go a long way. You can keep her company or keep her occupied, Navisse. I'm not content unless I have a task and that started when I was young. My niece might benefit from it as well."

"I'll see what I can do. Braigon has been hunting for tasks to do; she seems to need direction."

"I did at first, too," Magpie spoke up. "I love you more than the stars in the sky, and all the treasures in the world, my little finch. Be good for your mother and only use your feather if it's a matter of life and death."

"Little finch?!" Syr gave him a horrified look, "She's a cleverer bird than that."

Navisse broke into laughter. "They're clever enough, Syreilla. Rooks aren't the only clever birds."

Reluctantly, Belthamdir returned to Navisse's side as her father mounted his horse.

"Off you go, back where you belong." Syreilla held out her hand and Olthon flew over it, vanishing from sight. "If I wanted to send someone in the direction of the Garden of Twilight, but not arouse too much suspicion by opening the door too closely, where would you suggest, Navisse?"

The elven goddess frowned and then nodded, "It's not far from Zyulla's temple. I might send them there."

"Thank you. And thank you for looking after them for me."

"You're welcome, Syreilla." The goddess looked surprised and pleased.

Opening a door to a farm outside of Brosa, she led them through and then opened one to Zyulla's temple. They rode through to a small group of rickety houses that seemed empty.

"Magpie? Take Valim with you and go visit Grandmother. I'll meet you at the right time." Syr gave him a nod and a small smile.

He grinned back, "I was worried you'd changed your mind about letting me try."

"Never. You can rely on a Rook. I told you I'd let you steal them and I meant it. Grandmother may know some of what you'll be looking at in the Garden."

She opened the next door and gave a grin to Ezphine. "You have to dismount. Let's go see a friend of mine."

*Fifty-nine*

Kwes dismounted and took the reins from Ezphine. They might not have any bedding or tents but if they came to a village at least they'd have a horse to sell. His sister and the forge goddess vanished and he took a look at Valim. The man had been largely silent.

"Are you alright, Valim?"

"My family will be..."

"They'll be safe enough with my father. If he can't keep them safe, my grandfather will look after them. Syreilla has taken on the task of looking after my family and yours. You can rely on a Rook. I pity anyone who tries to harm them."

The man glanced at where the others had disappeared. "She's terrifying."

"She is. But if she's on your side there's nothing you have to be afraid of."

Itia squirmed beneath his cowl and he adjusted it to let her fly out. There should be priests here. Something is wrong.

"Be on your guard."

The horses were hastily tied to a nearby pole and they both drew swords, advancing toward the temple. The sound of weeping and of someone shrieking out a protest made Kwes dart forward. Valim hissed something but he didn't wait.

Outside the temple, it looked like a massacre. Three priests were menacing the last two women alive. He barreled toward them and one turned, shouting out a warning. What felt like a stinging net dropped on top of him but he kept going and slashed at the startled priest who had cast whatever spell it was.

The man went down quickly and the other two turned, mouthing some sort of spells. Kwes managed to stab one in the throat the other blinded him for a moment with a flash of light, he shook it off but the man had already been run through.

"Kwes," Valim panted, "you have to sneak up on priests."

The woman wailed again and they both turned to see that the other had been stabbed in the belly by a dagger.

"At least we saved one." Valim bent to wipe his blade clean.

Kwes on the other hand, moved to kneel next to the wounded and terrified woman. "Cyran," he placed the hand wearing the bracelet and sigil on the wound, "I have no magic and know no spells, but if you can heal this woman I ask you to do so."

The priestess shivered and looked up at him in surprise as the area beneath his hand began to feel warm. She calmed and after a moment gently moved his hand away. The place she'd been stabbed was bruised but no longer a gaping wound.

"Thank you. You're a priest of Cyran?"

"No, I'm his cousin, Kwes. My sister Syreilla was teasing me that I'll be the elven god of thieves before I'm done." He smiled at her startled expression.

"A son of Odos." The other had gotten some control over her face and was wiping her eyes with her sleeve. "We called out to Zyulla and her grandchild came."

"Did Syreilla know when she brought us here?" Valim looked at the dead priests with a frown. "Why didn't she stay and deal with it?"

"She has a lot on her plate, my friend." Kwes stood and helped the priestesses to their feet. "This was something we could handle. I'm sorry we didn't get here sooner. What happened?"

"They just started casting spells and killing..." The one who had been weeping looked as if she might start again.

Mother sent priests to all of the temples to make certain things remain as she wishes them to. Itia chirruped, coming to land on his shoulder. If they're turning on the others...

"What did it say?" Valim nodded to the bird.

"She said that the huntress sent priests to all of the temples to make certain things remained as she wished them to. You heard them say that the gods have removed their approval and are opposing her now, she's slaughtering the others' priests."

"That's-that's forbidden." The one he'd asked Cyran to heal looked faint.

"She doesn't care what's permitted and what isn't until it suits her. She's trying to take the crown from Grandfather."

At that, the priestesses straightened and looked grim.

"That can't be permitted. Can you warn the other..." The priestesses looked at each other. "What can we do?"

"I need to speak to my grandmother, and I would suggest burying your friends and doing something with these other three. I'll ask what she thinks should be done so that Vedhethrah can do his worst to them. After that..." He glanced at Valim, "I don't want to leave them unprotected."

"The power dried up suddenly. If it hadn't we could have defended ourselves." The one who'd been stabbed shook her head.

"That's the huntress' doing. It's a spell or a prayer her priests know." Valim frowned.

"Then we kill them on sight from now on and take these two with us for their safety and our benefit."

Kwes let them lead him inside as Valim got started on the grave digging. It looked like a peaceful, almost elven, temple with its serene central garden and graceful arches. Further in at the altar, the two women knelt and he came close to bow respectfully.

"Grandmother, I apologize for being late. I need to speak with you."

A feeling of warmth passed over him. "Son of my gentle son, welcome. You've done well. What do you need from me?"

"Syreilla told me to ask you the best way to the Garden of Twilight and if there was anything you could tell me about it. I'd like to take your priestesses with me if I may, for their protection and our benefit. And I wanted to ask if there was anything we could do to the corpses of the huntress' priests to allow Vedhethrah to give them special consideration."

There was a soft laugh in the air and then a pause. "Take my priestesses, may they aid you, and may you keep them safe. They will lead you to the Garden of Twilight. As for those priests... With what they have done they may be considered disgraced, it would be possible. I am the goddess of mercy and bringer of peace to the desolate, but I know what can be done to deny them peace. Put them on pikes or bind their corpses in a display of warning and set them alight with intent. I advise against it, such acts will taint you, but if you ask me I will tell you what I know."

"Thank you, Grandmother, and thank you for the warning. We won't bury them with the others, but we won't bind them or put them on pikes either. Putting them aside and burning them with intent will do." He broke into a grin as a thought occurred to him, "If I put feathers on them...would that be enough to get my sister's attention as well?"

The laughter came back. "Yes. Send them to Syreilla. She will see them punished harshly or find a use for them."

The priestesses rose and looked at him with a curious smile. "We'll help you. I think we may have some feathers, why does that send them to Syreilla?"

"If you want her to intercede, you carry a feather. For thieves, we make sure there's a feather on our friends. She judges with a different measure. A feather gives her the right to intercede."

"We will close the temple and join you outside."

The women clasped hands and he made his way out to help Valim with the bodies. He pulled the murderous priests to the side and began to pile dry branches around them.

"What are you doing?" Valim paused his digging to give him a sour look.

"These need to burn to set them apart from the others and I need to find feathers for them to-"

Isemay
Isemay
208 Followers