Hardscrabble Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, it is quite well known that a certain young assistant attorney general is to be a part of Governor Robert's entourage while he is in south Texas. But surely you don't intend to travel with him, sans chaperone!"

She glanced at Silas, who was smiling at the interplay. "But, Mother, I will be staying at the home of a well-respected ranching family, and we will be in the company of Silas' employer when in Pleasanton; surely that is adequate chaperoning for such a small trip!"

"Oh, no, darling! Lorenzo and I will be going with you! We can't have your stellar reputation sullied by appearing at an event so far from home with a dashing young rake like Silas!"

Lonnie broke in before Lilly could further protest, explaining, "Silas came to us first, as he should have. We were invited and agreed to go, assuming you would accept. Although soon thereafter, him asking you became questionable, and then you accepting his invitation became questionable, so we have waited to see how this would turn out."

Lilly turned to Silas with a frown: "You asked them..."

Silas explained, "Soon after I returned from fetching you in San Antonio. I respect you and your family far too much to do otherwise."

A look of bitter disappointment crossed Lilly's face as she realized her plan to work her wiles on Silas while on the trip would have to be scaled down with her parents along. Before she could say more, however, Gwen exclaimed with alarm, "Madelyn, did you see the look of disappointment cross my daughter's face? It appears it is not your son I need to keep an eye on, but my daughter!"

Madelyn smiled and patted Gwen on the arm, "Now, now, Gwendolyn, I'm sure you remember being 18 and infatuated with a boy. I'm sure she had no improper designs; it is just hard to flirt in front of your parents!"

Lilly blushed furiously, indicating that she did have improper designs in mind, which caused the parents to burst into laughter. Silas chuckled, but put his arm around her possessively and promised, "I would never do something to bring dishonor to Lilly, her family, or my own!"

Lilly tried to remain possessed, but a sudden memory of the kisses and passion they shared in the barn and his foolish promise resulted in another look of disappointment, and the others recognized it. Silas' mother smiled and said, "Perhaps I spoke too soon, Gwen. She did seem disappointed by his promise to maintain her purity!"

Lilly tucked her head against Silas' chest and closed her eyes, as if the laughter and knowing looks would go away if her eyes were closed.

***

Silas arose early on Friday, hooked up the buggy, and started east to the T-C Ranch to pick up his three guests. He was glad to see that the luggage wasn't excessive, although he and Lonnie carried only a valise while the women each had a small trunk.

The Carr's carriage was perfect for the trip; however, this time it was pulled by a team of horses, due to the number of passengers and the weight of the luggage. Their seats were close enough that they could all carry on a conversation over the rumble of the wheel on the hard-packed road, and the shade made the summer heat almost bearable. They had all agreed to 'dress down' due to the heat and dust, but would clean up and change into appropriate clothing as soon as they arrived at the Robbins ranch home, which included three bathrooms with indoor plumbing!

It was only a little more than 20 miles from the T-C Ranch to Pleasanton, so they would not have to change horses, but would need to take rest and water breaks along the way. The matching liver-chestnut Morgan horses had made the adjustment to the Texas heat long before, but shade and water breaks would keep them in good condition for the longer haul, so they stopped at each creek to let them drink and rest.

They arrived just after noon, as expected, and their hosts were waiting lunch for them. They apologized for their scant and dusty apparel, but Mrs. Robbins assured them that they understood; after all, they were south Texas ranch people, not city dwellers! They were themselves similarly dressed, absent the dust from the carriage.

They were given time to clean up, and then returned for the meal. Although neither Gwen nor Lilly were at their best, they were still so attractive that Andrew, his two younger brothers, and even his dad, Robert, had trouble keeping their eyes off them. Mother Robbins, quite attractive herself, smiled understandingly; she and her two teenage daughters were equally impressed with the Carr men.

The meal of roast beef with mashed potatoes and green beans, all raised on the ranch, was excellent, and the conversation was both relaxed and stimulating. After the help cleared the table, in the local tradition they retired to their bedrooms for a brief 'siesta', or nap. The summer sun was intense this far south, and, while the southeast breeze was cooling, it also brought gulf moisture, making afternoons both hot and humid.

After it cooled down in the early evening, they were treated to a tour of the nearer pastures and fields of the 5 section / 3200 acre ranch. The men rode horses and the five women rode in a large open carriage.

There were rolling, grass covered hills with intermittent groves of Oak trees, both evergreen Live Oaks and deciduous Post Oaks. The ranch included a half-mile of Atascosa River frontage, and clusters of Oak, Texas Sycamore, and Pecan trees were almost continuous along the flood plain of the river.

Fields of vegetables and cash crops were located to the north of the house near the river, and a retractable diversionary dam extending ten feet into the river scooped water into an aqueduct irrigation system.

Silas told them that their ranch was one of the most beautiful and best developed he had seen, and former cavalryman Lonnie, who had seen much more of the United States than Silas, agreed. Gwen and Lilly appreciated the beauty and utility of the land, but were most impressed by their impressively finished and furnished home, which featured conveniences rarely seen in Texas.

The evening meal was "handy", consisting of strips of sautéed beef, lettuce, and tomatoes wrapped in corn or flour tortillas; a Latino delicacy called carne guisada tacos that were popular in south Texas. After the meal, they adjourned to the expansive porch on the south side of the house to enjoy the evening breeze and visit.

Lilly did her best to find a reason to go for a walk with Silas, but nothing presented itself. She went to bed at ten pm a frustrated young lady; one of her precious days with him had resulted in nothing more than friendly conversation! Her opportunities were fading fast, and she was expected to stay at the T-C Ranch when they returned, while Silas would return to the Settlement.

Lilly knew she needed to make headway in her quest tomorrow, or a rare opportunity would be lost!

***

Breakfast was served at 8 am, after which plans and preparations were made for traveling into Pleasanton for the Governor's Rally that afternoon. Once that was settled, everyone was left to their own devices. Lilly seized that opportunity to ask Silas to take a stroll with her, which he accepted without reservation.

She somehow guided their path so they were soon out of sight behind the barn. She stopped in the shade of a spreading oak, turned to face him, put her hands on his arms, looked into his eyes, and pouted, "It seems we've had no time together, Silas. I was hoping we could get to know each other better on this trip!"

He answered in a serious tone, but with the hint of humor at her pretend petulance. "Oh, I think we ARE getting to know each other better, Lilly. I've had the opportunity to see you in various kinds of clothing and situations, interact with men, women, boys, and girls you just met, and I've watched your reaction to everything from the Robbins' beautiful home, to the river, the crops, the irrigation system, and their beef cattle.

I knew coming here that you can 'charm a coon out of a tree', as Ranger Ben Wallace said, so there was no surprise that you charmed the Robbins. Over the past day, I've also learned that you have a curious and analytical mind, and that you are constantly acquiring facts and learning. Those are characteristics I was not aware of, and that I greatly appreciate."

Lilly was pleased by his response, but, still, he was talking about her personality and intellect; she wanted to explore the passion they had felt in the barn! That was looking less likely by the hour, so she took the initiative. She seized his hands, placed them on her hips, wrapped her arms around his muscular chest, and pulled him against her.

Her head leaning back slightly, she looked up at him with resolute desire, and said, "That's all fine and dandy, but I 've been waiting too long for you to kiss me!"

He smiled at her boldness, lowered his mouth to hers, and felt the same surge of excitement he felt when they kissed in the barn. She felt it too, it seemed, because she gasped, then stuck her tongue in his mouth. She was shocked by her own behavior -- what well-bred young lady would so blatantly pursue a man, insist he kiss her, and then stick her tongue in his mouth without prompting?

Yet, she was so overwhelmed by her feelings, she lost all reserve when they kissed.

His tongue was dueling with hers, and his big hands had drifted from her hips onto her tight round buttocks. She rubbed her breasts against his chest and moaned into his mouth. He pulled her mons against his rampant penis, and she rose onto her toes to hump him like a common bitch in heat! She was ashamed of her conduct, but she seemed to have no self-control when she was with him. She moaned again, and pressed her pussy harder against his swollen penis, which seemed inordinately large, although she really had nothing to compare it to.

Silas pulled his mouth away from hers, and forcefully separated their bodies. She stood there flushed and gasping, wondering what had happened. "Lilly," he said in a deep, husky voice, "I promised that I would do nothing to blemish your virtue on this trip, but I fear I will break that promise if we don't stop immediately. I find you so enticing as to be irresistible, and my passion for you has overridden my good sense. However, we must stop! My plans for you go far beyond a roll in the hay, or the pasture... although I will dream of both, I fear.

"Now, let's get calmed down and return to the house before your mother sends a search party!"

Lilly's heart was still racing, and it was hard to breathe. She didn't know if Silas could smell her incense through the layers of her dress and silk knickers, but she could, and she knew the undergarments would be soaked when removed. She looked at him in wonder; how could this young man so inflame her when she so easily rejected all others?

It took a few minutes to get under control, but soon they were walking back to the house holding hands. When they returned, they learned a visitor had arrived with a message for Silas. He introduced himself as a Texas Ranger, Bud Wools, and informed Silas Lonnie that Mr. Ben Wallace had sent him with a message. "Captain Wallace said to tell Silas and Lonnie to bring your weapons to the rally today.

"He has heard a rumor that opponents of the Governor may try to assassinate him. There are only four of us traveling with the governor, including Ben. The sheriff seems ambivalent about the danger, and we've sent for help from San Antonio but they won't be here for the rally. Will you assist us?"

They nodded in assent, and Lonnie said, "Of course! How soon do you need us?" Robert and Andrew were also listening to Ranger Wools, and they volunteered their assistance.

"We can certainly use all of you. Please be there at least two hours before the rally begins, so we have time to inform you of any changes and review the security plan."

They assured him they would be there, and be well armed.

***

The changed situation caused the women and men to reorganize their plans in order to arrive three hours before the rally began. That would mean they were there during the heat of the day, but it couldn't be helped; appearances fell short of the need to protect the state's top elected official.

The women rode in the carriage; the four men were mounted on their horses. Each carried a pistol with extra cartridges on the gunbelt, a saddle rifle, and a cantle bag with an additional pistol and more ammunition. Silas had assured them that Ben would have shotguns available if he felt they were needed, so they didn't bring scatterguns. Using scatterguns in a crowd would only work if the crowd were a mob, and this appeared to be a chase of paid assassins.

What they didn't know was that the women did bring scatterguns. They weren't going to be scared off, but they would be prepared if they were attacked.

The original plan was to meet briefly with General McLeary and Governor Oran Milo Roberts before the rally, and then spend more time with them at the ball. The Robbins had friends in town who had offered use of their facilities so the ladies and men could clean up in preparation for the ball, and change into their evening dresses and suits. With the danger posed by assassins, however, those plans had become contingent.

Their first stop was at the hotel to meet with Ben and the other rangers. The women were invited to enjoy a cup of tea in the parlor with Ben's wife Kathryn, while the men congregated in a small meeting room beside the office. Since they didn't know who the assassins were or what they looked like, "the plan" consisted of ringing the stage, looking for suspicious characters, and signaling one another if something caught your attention. Silas, Lonnie, Andrew, and Robert were deputized by Ben, and given badges by Ranger Wools.

The train was right on time, and the four rangers and four deputies were in place. The Robbins women, Gwen, and Lilly had secured prime space near the right front of the stage, and they looked lovely daintily holding their parasols to shade themselves from the afternoon sun.

The attorney general emerged from the train first and was introduced by the mayor, who reminded everyone about James Harvey McLeary's service to the state before becoming Attorney General; as a soldier during the Civil War, and as a legislator who championed public education and local control of community schools.

General McLeary gave a short welcome to the massive crowd, and then introduced the former Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court and now Governor, Oran Milo Roberts!

Governor Roberts was a smallish, white haired man, but his voice was loud and compelling. He spoke of reining in the debt and overspending the carpetbaggers had put in place, of selling some of the millions of acres of state-owned land to fund the building of railroads, public schools, and universities of the first rank, such as the University of Texas. He said that ground had already been broken in Austin and construction would soon begin at the The University of Texas, which would be co-educational from its inception!

"We have many brilliant and talented women in this state, and we need to develop ALL our intellect and talents in order to harness the greatness of this state!" he proclaimed; the crowd roared its approval.

He let the celebration continue, and then raised his hand for quiet. The crowd hushed, and he recounted his campaign promise to continue to undo the damaging edicts put in place by carpetbaggers and their sympathizers during reconstruction. He stated that his efforts while Chief Justice and now Governor were resented by those who had stolen power, position, and fortune through initiation of policies that favored them over other Texans, and they had threatened him with death if he didn't maintain the status quo.

He then promised that he would continue his efforts, unafraid and tireless, for the benefit of all Texans, not the few!

The crowd was deafening in support, but Silas and the other watchers noticed a group of men standing together who were not so supportive. They broke up and scattered around the room, with three pushing through the crowd toward the front of the stage, two to the back, and one to the left side. Silas looked around and received nods from the other guardians; they had seen them too.

Wools and another young ranger were directly in the path of the three men coming to the front. Silas and Lonnie moved those crowding the stage in their areas back a step, both for the safety of the individuals and to give themselves clean shots at the supposed gunmen if they forged forward. They focused on what they perceived as the immediate threat, leaving the other three men to the Robbins, Ben, and the fourth ranger.

What none of the guardians had noticed was a small man on the right side of the stage standing next to Lilly. She, however, noticed he had his hand inside his coat, as if preparing to draw a hidden pistol. She watched him with her peripheral vision, while appearing to be only focused on the governor.

Governor Roberts finished his speech with a plea for support for his efforts, and then invited everyone to proceed to the park for free beer, punch, and hot dogs. The crowd applauded loudly again, and began breaking up. The assassins chose that moment of chaos to strike. The one closest to Silas pulled his pistol and began raising it to shot the governor, but Silas palmed his pistol and shot the man through the chest before he could aim. The man in the middle had his gun raised and ready to fire when Silas' shot stuck him under the right arm, causing him to drop the pistol harmlessly.

The third gunman in front was struck down by a volley of shot from Lonnie and the two rangers. Silas quickly pivoted and began looking for other gunmen, only to see Lilly strike the gun from a man's hand with her parasol, and then hit him over the head when he bent to pick it up. He fell to the ground, and before he could recover, Silas had picked up his pistol and had his boot firmly pressed on the gunman's neck. He stopped struggling and lay still.

Silas thought he had heard two more shots ring out from the left and behind the stage, but it was pandemonium back there and he couldn't see what was happening.

Throughout it all, Governor Roberts and General McLeary had remained calm and composed, thrusting their guardians and willingly accepting their fate.

The crowd rapidly dispersed when the shooting started, and the area around the stage was empty save for the guardians and the wounded or dead assassins. Lilly, Gwen, and the Robbins women stood their ground, and the guardians were seen dragging wounded or dead men toward the stage. It appeared none of the eight guardians had been injured, but seven gunmen were shot.

The eighth gunman was still lying under Silas' boot. Silas looked to his side at Lilly, who had maintained a ferociously protective countenance and still had her parasol ready to strike. How incongruent that this lovely, well dressed, and very feminine young woman was standing over the deadly assassin she had disarmed and crowned, still holding her broken parasol at the ready!

***

After things calmed down, Ben strode straight to and accosted the Atascosa County Sheriff. "Do you still discount the rumors, sheriff? You could have gotten the governor and any number of citizens killed today by your refusal to assist with security!"

Silas had followed Ben. When the sheriff brazenly tried to defend his position and threatened action against the rangers for endangering the citizens of his county, Silas stifled Ben's response to interject, "I take office as an assistant attorney general on September first. My first order of business will be a thorough audit of the Atascosa County Sheriff's department. I suspect we will find ties to these same hooligans, and you will then have the opportunity to arrest this poor excuse for a man so I can prosecute him!"