Harold Saves Her Husband - Complete

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oggbashan
oggbashan
1,527 Followers

The Archers curtsied in unison.

"Ladies, I need your help," Serena commenced "I have to visit my brother-in-law Mohan at his palace. While there I will be in danger, possibly mortal danger. I have to rescue some of my ladies who have been kidnapped without being captured myself. I don't know friend from foe once I am at the palace. The only allies I know I can trust are Prince Harold, Princess Lisa and you. It will be risky if you are suspected of being more than a group of curious Englishwomen. Are you willing to take that risk?"

Jane stood forward from the Archers.

"Yes, Queen Serena, we are prepared to take that risk. We have volunteered to help you. We will."

"Thank you. Apart from my own safety, the future of my realm depends on the next few days. We will be leaving at noon two days from now for a visit to my brother in law. My own cavalry will escort me, a contingent of Company troops who will treat the visit as a reconnaissance exercise, and you. Only you can protect me once inside the zenana. You know that my enemies do not respect zenanas. There I must depend on you because I expect to be threatened."

Jane spoke, "We will be there and ready for whatever your enemies plan, Queen Serena."

Lisa thanked the Archers and dismissed them, signing to Jane to stay behind.

After the Archers had left Lisa asked Serena "Can we tell Jane?"

"Yes. I trust Jane."

"OK. It isn't as simple as Serena said. Visha has been kidnapped by Mohan and Sanji..."

"But I saw him last night!" protested Jane.

"You didn't. You saw his cousin Ranjit. Visha has been gone more than a day as have some of the noble ladies. Our mission is to rescue Visha and all the ladies if we can. Some of the ladies might be party to the plot and could be unwilling to be rescued. Willing or not, we have to get them back to the capital unharmed. If we could kidnap Sanji as well we would stop the whole conspiracy. George is bringing enough soldiers. If we can get everyone out of the palace to George's camp we should be safe. That is a larger task than just protecting the Queen."

"Yes, Lisa, now I know why you wanted the Archers. We will do what we can but..."

"...but you give us more hope," interrupted Serena. "You are our secret weapon. Sanji will be dismayed by my visit with such a large escort but he would still try to present the British with a fait-accompli. I hope to turn the tables on him, rescue all those he has kidnapped and stop all the plots against me. If I succeed fewer people will want to try again."

Jane left to follow the Archers.

+++

Chapter 11: The Fate of Traitors

"One thing, Serena," I said, "If we succeed what will you do to Mohan and Sanji?"

"There is only one penalty for a failed revolt, Harold, you know that."

"Yes, but..."

"...you don't want a public execution or something messy such as ripping him asunder by buffalo teams?"

I shuddered. "No. We, that is the East India Company, cannot afford to condone something that would upset public opinion in England."

"I see. Or rather I don't see the necessity. If that is what you want..."

Lisa nodded. So did I.

"...then he will be executed in private. I will think of some suitable way. You may have to arrange for the report of his death to be edited to suit British tastes but I won't contradict whatever you say."

"Thank you, Serena. We have a massive task before we get to executing Sanji but we don't want to jeopardise your reign by intemperate revenge."

"Intemperate!" Serena exploded. "They have kidnapped my husband, will probably kill him, would kill me if they could and you suggest I might be intemperate. That is unfair of you, Harold."

"I know it is. You have to consider that your reign is by consent of the East India Company. You may not like that but you have to accept some of our prejudices. The late Rajah and Ranee's deaths would have horrified our masters at Home if they had known exactly how they died. If they knew that you killed the Ranee yourself they could not accept you as Queen of your state. They don't know and the Company officials in India will not tell them. We know things are done differently here. Back Home they think that Indian states are like English counties and Indian law is like English law. That reminds me. What did you do to that person at the dinner last night?"

"He asked to be tried by local law. The judge only had the choice of that death sentence to pass. At my request the judge chose a quiet and secret death. This morning the women of his family smothered the traitor to death. His wives tied him up. His senior wife is a rather plump woman. She was and is one of my supporters. She was so disgusted with him that she insisted that she alone should suffocate him with her backside to show her contempt."

Lisa laughed. "That seems an appropriate ending. Perhaps we should include in English Law."

"Lisa!" I protested. "They'd never stand for it at Home."

"I know. Shame."

"What about the traitor's family, Serena?"

"His son is now head of the family and is so afraid of his mother and his stepmothers that he will be no trouble. He has told his mother as much as he knows about the plot. Perhaps she was sitting on his head at the time. His mother is now the effective head of the family. She will make sure that he doesn't take any further part in the conspiracy. He has been confined to his father's, now his, zenana and is chained to the foot of his wife's bed. I'm told that he has to wash his wife's feet with his tongue before he is fed."

"That sounds like a good idea. Shall I try it, Harold?"

"No." I said emphatically. "Can we get back to the serious business? How long will it take to arrange the visit, Serena?"

"About a day. What about the Archers and the soldiers?"

"The same," I replied. "Shall we leave dawn the day after tomorrow?"

"Yes. Pushpa? As soon as we get back please ask my Major Domo to make the arrangements."

Pushpa bowed.

Serena and Pushpa left the cantonments in state. I informed the Colonel of the expedition. He summoned George and the senior officers. Lisa was making plans with the Archers.

Chapter 12: The Expedition

The troops, the English ladies and their baggage were assembled outside the cantonments before dawn. Across the plain Queen Serena's cavalry could be seen approaching. There was a heavy guard escorting her carriages. Even in the false dawn the dust could be seen swirling around them. The commander of the Queen's Guard rode up to George and conferred. George spoke quietly to one of his officers who rode off to bellow commands.

A vedette of cavalry led off, followed at a distance by a troop of lancers. Behind them the infantry started to march. The King and Queen's carriages and escort swung into the line. The artillery followed; then the baggage train; the ladies; more infantry and finally a rearguard of carbine carrying cavalry. The column extended for nearly a mile. Out of sight skirmishers were moving ahead and parallel to the column. It was an impressive sight yet was just a proportion of our strength.

We made slow progress. The infantry could have gone faster but not the heavy cannon. The nine-pounders could move almost at the speed of the cavalry. The heavy guns towed by bullock teams could not. It took ten long hours before we arrived in the vicinity of Mohan's palace. He had cleared a space for the troops to camp. The space had not been where he had wanted to put them. He had intended them to be sited close to his walls and in range of his guns. The officer sent on ahead had chosen the ground, advised by Serena. The camp would be on an elevation close to the river. It would be out of range of Mohan's guns but his palace was within range of our heavier and more modern artillery. We soon prepared the elevated ground with ditches and palisades that included a protected access to the river. It would be very difficult to dislodge us from there, if not impossible.

Our skirmishers reported that we had been shadowed by elements of Mohan's forces and thought that some of Sanji's had been present. Those forces had been no threat to such a large column but had the King and Queen been escorted by only their Royal Guard they could have been attacked successfully.

While most of the English officers and their ladies remained in the camp, Lisa, I and the Lady Archers joined the Royal group. Escorted by some of the Company's cavalry and the Royal Guard, we approached Mohan's palace. The gates were thrown open as we neared the walls. An honour guard flanked the entrance. Behind them a crowd of the native population cheered Queen Serena. Even though the crowd was mostly women, this spontaneous demonstration was a good sign for us. Even Mohan's troops seemed pleased to see the Queen.

Lord Mohan was standing on a small dais in the palace courtyard. He descended to welcome the King and Queen who accompanied him to the dais, as did Lisa and I. He made a short speech of welcome to which Queen Serena responded. Then his courtiers led the whole party away to the day quarters assigned to us. We would clean off the dust of the journey and then attend a banquet in honour of the King and Queen.

Lisa and I had a suite of rooms at the edge of the zenana, next to Ranjit and Serena's larger suite. Pushpa and her ladies were across the corridor in the zenana itself as were the Lady Archers. The Royal Guard set a watch at either end of the corridor.

Chapter 13: Servants of the Goddess

Female servants were bustling around us unloading our baggage. A large bath had been prepared for us. As we relaxed in the scented water Lisa spoke to me in Latin.

"I do not trust these women or these rooms," she said.

"Nor do I," I replied, also in Latin. "I think these walls have ears and probably eyes as well. Some of the ears may understand Latin. If we want to say anything important, it is better if we pass notes to each other and even then be careful the words cannot be seen by anyone else."

"I agree," Lisa replied. She reverted to English. "I wonder how Lord Mohan will entertain us tonight? I have heard that he has some excellent dancers."

"I have heard that too. He has male dancers as well as women. That is unusual for this part of India."

Lisa emerged from the bath. Before the maids wrapped her in warm towels I saw her slightly protruding belly showing her pregnant state. Her naked body has always aroused me but her pregnant body made me feel warm all over. I ducked under the water before I too emerged to be wrapped by the maids in a cocoon of warm cotton and dried vigorously. I had to stop delicate feminine hands from rubbing too closely to my erection. The maid didn't seem offended. She smiled at me until Lisa glared at her. Lisa's glare can be intimidating.

As we dressed Pushpa slipped into the apartment.

"Oh good," Pushpa said "You are nearly ready. Queen Serena would like to speak to you before we go to the banquet."

I nodded.

"Not you, Prince Harold. She wants Princess Lisa."

"Oh." I said, deflated.

"I'll be with her in a minute," Lisa said.

She was. She left me alone with a room full of Mohan's maidservants. I was slightly embarrassed. What should I do while I waited? A dozen pairs of interested eyes followed my every movement as I buckled on my sword belt and attached my large pistol. One maid spoke. She seemed very nervous.

"Prince Harold?"

"Yes?" I replied. My gun wasn't seated properly and I didn't look at her as I tried to adjust the holster.

"Is it true that you are much bigger than most men?"

I looked at her then.

"No. I don't think so. Some of you saw just now, didn't you?"

"Yes. You seemed... adequate but not exceptional."

"Adequate!" I snorted. "I suppose I am. I am just a man like any other."

"But favoured by the Goddess?"

"Oh that. Yes. The Goddess seems to like me."

"I think she has shown more than just a liking for you. Do you know, Prince Harold, that most of the women in this palace are devotees of the Goddess?"

That brought me up short. If that were true? Pushpa is the Goddess's High Priestess and her ladies are Priestesses too. I am 'most favoured' of the Goddess. Did we have allies in the palace?

"Why do you tell me this?" I asked cautiously.

"Because we serve the Goddess more than we serve our Lord. That is a dangerous thing for me to say, but it is true."

The maid looked at her colleagues. They nodded nervously.

"Prince Harold." She said firmly. "You are the Goddess's consort on Earth."

I nodded. Pushpa had given me that title.

"Then we are your servants, not Lord Mohan's."

She knelt with her head touching the floor. All the other maids did the same.

"What?" I spluttered. "What if someone hears or sees what you have done?"

She raised her head.

"No matter. The hearers are devotees of the Goddess as well. Aren't you, O listeners?"

"We are," came the response from several female voices within the walls.

Was this a trap? Were they genuine? Or was this a device to get me to accept them as trustworthy when they were not? I had to acknowledge their acceptance of me. I bent over and lifted the speaker to her feet. I raised her hand to my lips and kissed it.

"Thank you," I said, "I accept you as my..." I paused "... friends."

She gasped. She hadn't expected that. I pulled her to me and kissed her on her forehead. I had to hold her because she nearly fainted. Then I was swamped in a sea of maids all cuddling me. I kissed every forehead that I could reach. Lisa found me kissing the last forehead.

"Well!" she said "I know you are a fast worker, Harold, but a dozen maids in ten minutes? That is exceptional, even for you."

She winked at me and joined the frightened huddle.

"These ladies are my friends," I explained. "They are devotees of the Goddess."

"Are they?" Lisa said, "That explains everything - or does it?"

"Princess Lisa," said the principal maid quietly. "I am Ambika. I am the priestess of the Goddess in this district. Prince Harold is the Goddess's consort on earth. You are favoured of the Goddess as well, even more favoured than Pushpa, her High Priestess. We have prepared for your coming. We welcome you."

Lisa nodded.

"Prince Harold has declared us as his friends. That we did not expect. We expected to be his servants, and yours. Friendship is different."

"It is," said Lisa. "But as Prince Harold has said it, then I am your friend as well."

That was the cue for another bout of cuddles and kissing, this time including Lisa. Ambika broke away.

"Prince and Princess," she said, "There is something important that I must tell you while I can."

"Yes, Ambika, what is it?" I asked.

"We know something of the plans that Lord Mohan has made. Tomorrow there will be a reception in the zenana for the English Ladies. By then or just before, Prince Harold will be kidnapped. That is the least important..."

"...is it?" said Lisa at her most dangerous.

"Yes, Princess Lisa, because he will have our assistance and that of the Goddess. We and SHE will not allow anything to happen to him."

"I hope so," I said. "What about the reception?"

Lisa glared at me. I tried to ignore her. That is always difficult.

"The ladies will be caught and incarcerated in the zenana. That is intended to neutralise the armed forces that have come with you. Prince Harold is supposed to die of a heart attack while making love to four devadases..."

"Four!" Lisa exclaimed. "I should think he would have a heart attack. One is usually enough for any man."

I should explain that devadases are temple slaves trained to please men. They are holy whores whose skill is legendary. They are the earthly equivalent of the heavenly asparses who pleasure the Gods. Several European men have availed themselves of the services of a devadasi and have found the experience overwhelming.

"Three of them are ours. They will protect Prince Harold as best they can. The fourth and chief devadasi is related to Lord Mohan. It is intended that she should smother Prince Harold under her yoni as the others pleasure him. Prince Harold should be able to recognise her. She is slightly heavier built than the other three and will be wearing a red skirt. The others will wear blue. He should avoid being under the red skirt."

"I see," I said. "Red is dangerous for me."

Lisa snorted.

"Red or blue could be dangerous for you if you go to them voluntarily. You are married to me."

"Please, Princess Lisa," Ambika asked. "It would be better if Prince Harold were to be kidnapped. Otherwise Mohan will know that his plans are betrayed."

I could hear Lisa grumbling under her breath before she said:

"OK, Ambika, but if Prince Harold is harmed..."

"He won't be. What are you going to do about the reception in the zenana?"

"We'll go prepared. I don't think we will be captured."

"Good."

"But I should be?" I asked.

"Yes, Prince Harold, it would be better if you are captured otherwise the plotters will have to revise their plans. We know what they intend to do. If they change their actions we might not find out in time."

I looked at Lisa. She nodded.

"Then I agree," I said. "I trust you ladies to find a way of rescuing me before it is too late."

"We will do what we can, Prince Harold. There is a risk that we might not succeed. Less risk than if you are not captured..."

"...I am used to risk," I said. "I will rely on my friends to help me."

"We will." Ambika replied.

"Then I think I should not give the conspirators the opportunity of capturing my weapons as well."

I unfastened my sword belt and handed it to Ambika. She staggered under the weight of the sword and the Dragoon Colt.

"Look after these for me, Ambika. You will know when I need them."

"Is that wise?" asked Lisa.

"Yes." I replied. "Ambika and these ladies are our friends. I would rather our friends look after my weapons than let my enemies have them. If I am wearing them I might be tempted to use them and foil the kidnap."

That was it. After another bout of kissing Lisa and I went back to our quarters.

Nothing of note happened that afternoon except that an invitation was delivered to all the English ladies inviting them to the zenana at 11 o'clock in the morning.

Chapter 14: Lord Mohan's Banquet

Lisa and I prepared to attend Lord Mohan's banquet in the cool of the evening. Although the Lady Archers would be with us, having been accepted as part of Queen Serena's entourage, most of the English officers and their ladies would remain in our fortified camp. George had declined, having acquired a diplomatic illness. He wanted to ensure that his troops were alert for a surprise attack or a treacherous infiltration. Some of Lord Mohan's officers had visited the camp during the day and some would be dining at the temporary mess tonight. George and I had been pleased that the officers seemed friendly towards us and showed no sign of wanting to learn military secrets.

Were Lord Mohan's troops genuinely friendly, or was this a ruse to make us less prepared? We didn't know. We accepted the friendship as if it was genuine while keeping the camp manned as if we expected an attack at any time. Our preparedness was explained as another of George's exercises to keep the troops efficient. Mohan's officers were impressed by the alertness of our sentries, very different from the casualness of the local levies.

The banquet meal was arranged in a mixture of English and Indian styles. Each lady was paired with a gentleman. The Lady Archers had escorts from Lord Mohan's noble relations. Queen Serena sat on a dais beside Lord Mohan. I was on her left with Lisa.

Lord Mohan seemed puzzled by the composition of Serena's entourage.

"Why Serena," he asked. As cousins they addressed each other without titles. "have you brought so many Englishwomen? And so few of your own ladies?

oggbashan
oggbashan
1,527 Followers