Harry's Protégé Ch. 08

Story Info
Harry goes to a wedding and engages in adultery.
6k words
4.77
10.9k
6
0

Part 8 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/12/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Harry O'Hern was rather depressed. He couldn't back down as if they married which was an outside possibility, it would be disastrous if Sierra Bycroft noted any weakness in him over this impasse as Sierra being Sierra would exploit it.

He was sure Sierra had intended to give him a wrist slap, almost in jest, about his crudely written desire but somehow it just ran out of control - they were both to blame. Up to that point of her so cruelly calling him a creep, eyes blazing in contempt, he'd been willing to apologize and treat her contritely.

The next eight days went by painfully for Harry.

Every time he saw her he hoped she'd turn to him, smile, and say she was sorry for being such a bitch. That would have been enough to compel him to take her into his arms and apologize for saying he loved her. That would have given her opportunity to...um... whatever. How the hell could he have predicted how she'd react to his declaration?

The weekend crawled.

On Friday night he went out with Frank and they got beautifully drunk, which took care of Saturday until he awoke after midday, went out for late lunch, then to a movie and then home where he slept soundly.

Sunday was a complete wash-out and on Monday morning when jogging Jenni asked him had he and Sierra quarreled because for once she hadn't mentioned him when they chatted on the phone, like for two hours the previous day.

"No, we haven't quarreled," he said truthfully. "Let's clap on the pace a bit."

She responded and as he anticipated that shut her up for a while. Because Jenni got the message the name Sierra didn't come up over breakfast or during the cab ride back to his apartment.

On the sidewalk Jenni looked interested in being invited up, gazing pointedly at the doors, but no invitation was issued. But he did kiss her and said he'd see her the next morning.

On Tuesday, Harry drove the chairman in his new Mercedes to the Old Immigration Wharf Restaurant and Duncan was pleased with the response that drew. Over lunch he confined his drinking to two dry white wines while Duncan knocked off a half bottle of red.

After the main course the subject of Sierra's future was discussed.

Harry disclosed that he was optimistic Sierra would crack any time soon to open her mind completely and gratefully receive extensive tuition and discuss management issues.

It troubled him to learn of Sierra's continued reluctance to open up fully to Harry's strategic plan to groom her comprehensively for taking over the chairmanship from her father eventually.

As they were about to leave, Duncan sighed, and said he wanted Harry to stay on course with his mentoring of Sierra, a decision that would strain his relationship with his discontented daughter; he wanted Harry to instill leadership qualities in her and try to teach what seemed to come naturally to him - to achieve progress in business relationships by neutralizing conflict and aggression.

"I'll give her that decision together with some encouraging comments when I return to the office."

Harry, the faster mover, was already in the front seat when Duncan had still not opened the driver's door. Suddenly he saw Duncan reach the front passenger's door and disappear from view. He waited a few seconds before investigating.

Duncan must have slipped. He found Duncan flat on his back, his face in multi-shades between red and puce, bubbles coming from his lips.

Alarmed, Harry recalled something about Duncan having had a heart scare.

Harry saw a woman talking on a cell phone talking on her cell phone.

"Hurry call emergency - this man's in sudden cardiac arrest," he shouted to the woman, fortuitously a woman who'd had accident/emergency training. She waved, cutting her call and dialed 911.

Fortunately for Duncan, who would survive this crisis, Harry had long ago received CPR training. He undid Duncan's tie, spread open his jacket and ripped open his shirt, tilted back his chin and began CPR.

The woman arrived and knelt beside him. "How are you coping?"

"Fine now, I'm into my rhythm at last."

"There are defibrillators at the fire station, miraculously just opposite here. I hear the siren now. Would you like me to take over?"

"No just check my technique if you know CPR."

"You're doing fine. I've been watching you."

Two firemen, arriving in the chief fireman's vehicle, raced to Duncan's side with a defibrillator and took over.

"That response was marvelous," said the woman. "No more than three minutes."

She walked away, never to be identified despite attempts latter to locate her by Margo's appeal published in the newspaper.

An ambulance arrived and loaded Duncan. Harry was told where they were taking Duncan. He was preparing to follow the ambulance when he saw Duncan's phone behind the front wheel of the Mercedes. He punched in 'Marg' and the phone began dialing. She answered.

"Keep calm Margo, Harry speaking. Duncan's on his way to Northridge Accident and Emergency with a problem. Heart I think. I'll phone Sierra."

Margo shrieked, and then seemed to calm immediately.

"Go to Sierra if you can instead of calling her. Duncan's the only man in her life - she's temperamental and will go to pieces. Please bring her to us Harry."

Harry did as he was told and with great speed, realizing he'd called Mrs Bycroft by her first name without being invited to do that.

He went to Sierra and she did the girlie thing and fainted but recovered quickly and then went into awesome mode, barking out orders and then grabbing him by the hand towed him into an elevator.

In the cab she asked what had happened.

"He fell just as he was about to open the front passenger's door. I was already seated and knew he wasn't drunk as he'd only consumed a couple of wines. I just thought he'd slipped and when he didn't appear went and checked and by his color knew he was in trouble."

"Taking a wild guess I yelled to a woman using a cell phone this man was in cardiac arrest. I loosened his tie and did what I could for him. We're very lucky - help was only three minutes away and an emergency crew arrived with the special gear needed. He has a good chance of survival if my prognosis is correct as time was of the essence."

"What does that mean?"

"Fast action, defibrillation and into hospital - each minute is vital."

"Thank you for doing this for my father."

"It was nothing; anyone would have done it."

Sierra, white-faced but calm, kissed his cheek and he didn't flinch.

Harry put an arm round her and drew her to his chest. Only then did she begin to sob. He stroked her face and for one of the few times in his life felt he was really needed by someone. It was just like Betsy had needed him, with the name change, and years later for him to lead her into reconciliation.

They entered the critical care section and Sierra looked surprised when he mother rushed straight to Harry and hugged him.

"The surgeon came out to talk to me and they're operating now. She says you probably saved his life by applying CPR promptly and getting him attached to a defibrillator so quickly."

Margo then hugged and kissed Sierra saying, "The surgeon believes he'll survive. They've located the blockage and are going in after it. She reckons it's been a close thing for Duncan but the op is routine for her, baring complications, but she's very confident darling. One of us will have to phone Trent Rogers, the deputy chairman, as he'll have to take over for six weeks."

They sat and filled up on coffee. Only Margo would be allowed to go into post-op recovery to sit with Duncan.

Harry told Margo he'd take Sierra to the hospital restaurant and handed Duncan's phone to her.

As Sierra was picking over a piece of dry fish Harry urged her to eat, saying she needed food and fish was good for her.

"Fish, call this fish - it's horse shit."

Harry grinned, that sounded like the old Sierra was back.

"You are a connoisseur of horse shit, I presume?"

The familiar smile blossomed.

"One day soon, if our dispute is over, I'll take you somewhere and we'll catch fish on the rising tide and I'll pan fry you breakfast of the like you've never experienced."

"I'd like that. Come on, either eat up or I'll fetch you something else."

"No this is passable; I'll eat it."

"Look, the dispute is over, I just couldn't back-down and make the first move toward reconciliation, not in this instance. You can understand that, can't you?"

She chewed with her mouth open.

"Nope but you'll have your reasons."

"Thank you. I am so, so sorry I wrote that stupid thing but...um...can you ever say to a poet, don't write poetry?"

She eyed him.

"What you wrote was poetry?"

"What I said about a poet is allegorical, expressing the thought I had went beyond mere words to me. It wasn't stupid but rather something residing deep within me and I felt the need to express it. I admit it was expressed rather crudely, but you must concede it was a notation meant for my eyes only and to me it wasn't expressed crudely, if you know what I mean?"

"You are making it difficult for me, but I do get the gist."

Harry put on his hound-dog look.

"Then I'm truly forgiven?"

"Yes, by your confession alone, but how could I not forgive you - I'll never be able to repay you for what you did in saving my father from dying in that parking area. You initially gave me the impression you did practically nothing but then we both heard what the surgeon said. Tell me, what did my father say to you over lunch - just the conclusion will suffice."

Sierra's phone went. She put it on speaker.

"Darling, he's awake and recognized me. He's not going to die according to the surgeon. I'm staying for a couple of hours - so you two go. They won't let you see him until tomorrow. Guy is on his way to take me home when I'm ready. Goodnight darling. Say goodnight to that handsome hero for me."

"Goodnight mummy. Tell daddy I love him."

Walking out to find a cab, Harry told Sierra he'd be away for two days up country from tomorrow to attend a wedding but she should take a week off as Frank was experienced enough to be in charge. Frank had their greatly experienced chief sub as back-up and besides Harry would be in phone and text contact with Frank.

"Well, I'll take tomorrow off at least; I'll need to spend time with daddy."

"Don't wear him out and remember to spend time with your mother."

"My mother?"

"Yes Sierra, your mother. This has also been a great shock to her."

She looked away, nodding slowly.

Harry took Sierra to her apartment and then returned to work and put out a general email on Duncan's condition to the directors and his PA put the same message on to the password protected website restricted to employees of the newspaper.

He then took a call from Sierra, who told him she was soaking in a bath.

"We were interrupted, what did daddy say at lunch?"

Harry took a deep breath, and gave it to her straight.

"Sierra you need to know I'm no longer half in awe of you partly because of your family connection with this company and partly due to your often over-powering manner:"

"I stupidly had thought you were too good for me and somehow that elevated you to princess status. You didn't ask for that elevation and I used to think it didn't matter - that is until I backed off when you raged at me. I never thought myself a coward until that moment and as I walked away I realized that this had to stop, that I had to be true to myself."

"That's why I decided it had to be you to break the impasse, no matter what it cost me."

Harry heard her intake of breath, but she remained silent.

"You did break it, through exceptional circumstances I admit, but that kiss in the cab this afternoon symbolized the olive branch and I felt restored again, that I'd proven to you that I was no push-over."

Harry asked her was she coping with this.

She muttered yes of course and asked him to continue.

"Over lunch today your father praised me and said I was performing better than expected in being your mentor and believed my influence on you was beginning to show for all to see."

"He said I had the character and strength that he wished your brother had to take over the company from him but alas that was not to be. He's now totally confident you will be his successful replacement, once some of the rough edges are smoothed and you accept that you still have to learn how to treat people as they expect to be treated."

Sierra cut in. "And now comes the punch line."

"Yes, I don't wish to upset you but I'm not backing off. This is what he said, and once he's out of intensive care you can confirm it with him. He told me that what he intended telling you he'd decided to leave the arrangement as is. That is, he wants me to instill leadership qualities in you and try to teach what seems to come naturally to me - the way I encourage senior staff to perform and achieve progress in business dealings including negotiations by neutralizing conflict and aggression."

"His last words on this were he'd advise you of this decision when we return to the office."

Harry could hear her breathing heavily. "Is that all?"

"Yes."

She said firmly she had no problem with that.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"That's brilliant. With that attitude you'll easily take over from your father when he's ready and make him very proud of you."

"Are we finished here?"

"Yes," said Harry, not catching her tone and remaining aware you don't drop your guard with Sierra Bycroft.

"Why aren't you over here fucking me Harry?"

Although Harry hadn't seen that shot coming, he didn't over-react and his counter-punch came easily to the new Harry.

"I have no desire to treat you as a slut. If you wish a sexual relationship with me then prepare to be wooed."

That knocked her.

"You mean marriage?"

"No, I mean if you want me to have sex with you."

Harry heard water splashing - she was probably smacking the water in frustration.

"What's the difference between coming over right now and doing it to taking me out x-number of times and then doing it?"

"You honestly don't know?"

"I don't think so."

Harry thought quickly as this conversation was in danger of going nowhere.

Bingo.

"When you decide you are ready to be courted by me invite me to accompany you to that place to catch fish and breakfast on then, cooked by your dear hand."

He heard the sucking in of breath.

"My dear hand?"

"Oh that might be a too romantic phrase for you to handle. Enjoy your bath and join Jenni and me on the run tomorrow and have breakfast with us. You've been in training - it was so obvious when you returned from France - you looked wonderful - and I see it in your movements, crisp and energized. You've been training to eat up six miles with Jenni and me and that makes you a good girl! I'll see you in the morning... buddy."

"Harry?"

"What is it?"

"The chairman has told me that he approves of you as a son-in-law."

Click.

She'd cut the call before he'd even thought of an answer.

Harry had the look on his face of a stunned mullet. She wasn't supposed to know Duncan possessed that thought.

Harry found a message on his phone so called.

"Hi Margo - it's Harry. Is everything okay?"

"So it is Margo now? I am so pleased, you lovely boy. Yes Guy bought me home half an hour ago. I called then but you were on the phone. While he was waiting they shifted Duncan from intensive care to recovery and Guy was allowed to see him. Guy told us some wonderful news - he's getting married at last after all that time living with that woman. I had told him their unmarried relationship could kill promotion chances but he wouldn't listen. Now she's decided to have children and wishes to conceive them within marriage. Why can't Guy be as strong and determined as she?"

"I don't know Margo, not knowing either of them, but does it really matter? Once she conceives your focus will be on your grandchild."

"Oh how intelligent you are Harry; what you just said is quite right. I trust you'll continue making me so happy. That was a wonderful thing you did today for our family. We'll never be able to repay you adequately."

"I almost love the hard-nosed guy Margo. It was nothing, anyone would have done it."

"After the conceited, selfish types I have surrounded myself with, you're so refreshing," Margo said, emotions rising.

"I trust Sierra is not included in that pack."

"Sierra? And why not?"

"She's beginning to blossom, Margo - can't you see it?"

"Well..."

"She fainted when I told her the news today, crashing to the marble tiles near the elevators before I could catch her. So much for the supposedly non-caring Sierra although you did say she regards her father as the only real man in her life."

"As I lifted her she slumped again, then I felt an energy surge race through her and she stood and began barking out orders that I should have been making to cover our departure and then raced me into the elevator."

Harry then embellished the truth.

"She said we have to rush to the hospital to be with you as you would be terribly stressed, with no-one caring for you."

"My daughter said that?" Margo faltered.

"She did, and might I say you were quite calm when you greeted us, you went straight for me to thank me, not seeing the hurt on her face. But you action was understandable and remedied the instant you turned from me and held out your arms. Neither of you looked anything but a caring, supportive and emotionally connected mother and daughter."

"Harry O'Hern, you have a silver tongue."

"You should listen Margo. At long last you daughter is reaching out. If you want her back, be there for her Margo. Phone her right now - she's in the bath, very tired but relieved and feeling slightly romantic - at least that's my assessment. Call her now. She's told me you two rarely talk on the phone. You make that change. Be strong."

"What are you, a psychologist?"

"I'm just an ordinary guy Margo who grew up in a home with strong family ties. My parents have drifted out of love in recent years, I left home and my young sister turned into a rebel but she's now made a U-turn and is living back at home at weekends. I figure being female, she may provide the emotional charge to bring my parents back closer without even knowing she's doing it."

"This stuff is difficult for any guy to get his head around, but that's how I believe it works. All it takes is for one person to begin reeling in family members and the ties re-connect. I'm determined to do my bit."

"You're amazing, Harry. You should write a book about family ties."

"I have just over one hundred pages written Margo, would you believe. But please keep that confidential, especially don't tell Sierra. If she changes as much as I think she's going to change I'll be dedicating the book to her. The working title is simply Together Again but I have yet to check if that title has been used. I know Janet Jackson sings a song by that name, but it's only my working title."

"I read a great deal, and don't recognize the title and haven't a clue who this person Janet Jackson is but my advice is concentrate on the contents at this stage. The right title will come as you progress. I've read about that."

"Thank you Margo. You phone Sierra and have a good sleep, do you hear?"

"Thank you Harry, and thank God it was you who was with Duncan today. You are perfect for my daughter."

Click.

Harry was left staring at his phone for the second time within the hour.

Next day Harry left after chairing the early afternoon news conference for the airport for the flight north to Green Oaks, a city famous for its medical school and its university fine arts faculty that had an international reputation. It was the second marital tie for an old university buddy now a senior lecturer at the university who was marrying a lecturer he'd impregnated. It was her first marriage and as Harry was best man - he'd accepted a last-minute appeal as the small wedding was being rushed -and hoped he would be assisting to help this couple into an enduring marriage.

12