Hawke and his Princess Chapter 14

Story Info
Hawke learns more from Rose and the healing starts.
11k words
4.89
724
1

Part 10 of the 15 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 02/18/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 14: Precious Hearts

He walked towards the house with them in his arms with Elayne following beside him. She saw a light in his eyes and felt the joy and love from him in their bond when the girls rushed into his arms. In such a short period of time these girls had wrapped themselves around his heart. They walked to the table and sat down, each girl snuggled against him.

"How was your morning ladies," he asked them smiling. This time Elayne could see the smile in his eyes not just on his lips. The girls both excitedly told of their morning, what they did.

Little Mary looked up excitedly at him, "We've been helping grandma Leandra and grandma Eleanor with cooking dinner. That was so fun. I've never been able to help cook before. I hope I can help some more."

Then Rose spoke up, she got a serious and sad look on her face. "Arik, we know our mommy and daddy are up there with the Maker now," she pointed to the sky. "Does that mean you and Elayne are going to be our mommy and daddy?" Even though they were sad, there was also hope in her eyes.

These poor girls where so desperately trying to find where they belonged since they had nobody left. Her heart literally broke on hearing those words. She turned her head as the tears started welling up, so they didn't see her. When she turned, her mom was right there and Elayne threw her arms around her sobbing.

"Elayne, I'm here for you always but right now I need you to be strong. We have to be strong for them and him. And we need to talk. The girls opened up a little bit to us today. It's going to be a long healing process especially for Rose. Elayne, we'll sit down and talk later, but you need to go over there by your husband and be with those girls. Whether you guys take them in and raise them as your own or not, right now they need your love and support."

Elayne took a deep breath and let it out, wiped her eyes and looked her in the eye's. "You're right mom, thank you." She gave her mom a hug, "I love you," she said before she walked over to Hawke and the girls. The girls were laughing and giggling with him as he tickled them, and she pretended to rescue them. He looked up at her, there was sadness and pain in his eyes that he was trying to hide, but she also saw his eyes sparkling with happiness and love.

Eleanor watched her daughter as she walked back to the group. She knows Elayne is young, they both were, and the responsibility that was just dropped on both their laps was going to be hard whatever choice they decided. She had been standing with Leandra when Elayne and Arik showed up. Leandra and her had given the girls permission to call them grandma's, knowing they needed to cling onto something. They were both shocked to hear Rose ask if Hawke and Elayne where going to be their new mommy and daddy. She also saw Elayne immediately turn around, failing to see Arik look to her for support, or to see the hurt that flashed briefly in his eyes when she gave him her back.

Regardless of what their decision would be, those girls would need everyone's help, support and love. None of them were prepared for this but Hawke did the right thing bringing those girls here. Eleanor and Leandra had understood what Hawke was saying last night before leaving. He was trying to apologize for laying this on them, but he had no choice and both Eleanor and Leandra understood. If Hawke wouldn't of taken them in then they would have. Those girls needed someone, and he was the one to take on the mantle. She couldn't be more proud of him and she wasn't even his mother.

She went to Leandra, "you notice a change in him Eleanor? I haven't seen a spark in his eyes since before his father passed. Yes, there's been happiness, joy, love, but they've lacked that spark. Watching him interact with those girls, I know he's no longer that boy but looking at him right now, I can't help but to remember that little boy." Her eyes started getting misty as she remembered those days.

"You know what's funny, even as a little boy he would show his serious side. He was always so responsible, always the first one to give a hand if needed, even then he tried to help anyone he could. He's always had a big heart, tried to take on more responsibility than he needed to take."

"He's always tried to be the rock. We tried so hard to tell him he didn't need to, that it wasn't his responsibility, but he refused to listen. Strong, bullheaded, ready to take on the world even when in hiding. Seeing the injustice in the world and wanting to try and fix it when others would just ignore it and turn their back. He aced at everything put in front of him. His magic, he picked up on quickly. His training with Caleb he did the same thing. Caleb was thrilled and shocked at how well he had picked up on his training so quickly and mastered it. The way he would absorb information, take everything in and examining each thing until he's figured it out, the way pieces of knowledge seemed to click together to form a picture of what he needed in his head, then he's on to the next item, but he's quick at solving them."

Eleanor looked over at her, "He's a remarkable young man.". They turned back to watching the group. "I'm glad he brought them here, I'm afraid what would have happened to them especially to Rose if he hadn't stepped in. She's only ten years old. What she saw while she tried to hide and protect her sister from seeing what was going on, that's going to haunt her for the rest of her life, no child should have to witness that let alone an adult. How do you think he will react?"

"I honestly don't know." Leandra whispered.

Hawke learned a lot from the girls, they were little chatter boxes. He found out that he had been right about Rose being ten but shocked when he found out little Mary was actually five, she was so tiny and petite. What he really wanted to know though and dreaded hearing, was about the attack, the quicker he knew though, the quicker they could help them. He hoped and prayed none of them had seen the brutal killings because he was afraid of how that might effect their healing process.

When Rose had asked if he and Elayne would be their new mommy and daddy he was floored. He looked towards Elayne for some support, but she had turned her back on him, he didn't know why, but he couldn't help feel the hurt that flashed through him. All he told the girls was that he just wanted them happy and he started tickling them. They were good girls, and he enjoyed being around them. Then he had a thought and he whistled for Midnight and Hawke took them over to the carrot bucket.

"Hey ladies, I want you to meet a very special person in my life, he's my best friend that I raised from a colt. Grab a carrot each and wait." Midnight came walking towards them, and he put his hand on Midnight petting him.

"Midnight I want to introduce you to two very sweet beautiful little princesses. Rose and Mary meet Midnight, Midnight meet Rose and Mary." Midnight bobbed his head in greeting and the girls giggled and said hi. "Do you know he likes to give wonderful hugs?" They looked at Hawke amazed and astonished.

"Midnight, can I get a hug and loves please?" Midnight walked over to him and put his head on Hawke's shoulder. He scratched Midnight, "I love you too buddy." And he gave Midnight a carrot. Hawke turned back to the girls watching their expressions as they looked at Midnight and at Hawke and back to Midnight again with excitement. Both Rose and Mary asked if they could get hugs too. "Let me ask him, but if the answer is no don't feel bad. Midnight is a special horse, okay ladies?" They nodded but looked hopeful, and he turned back to his horse.

"Midnight, these princesses would like some love, they really need one buddy, can they get one from you?" Midnight looked at the girls. Hawke walked in between both girls and leaned down beside them. "Don't worry ladies, I'm right beside you," and Hawke nodded to Midnight. He walked over to the girls sniffed them each. He looked at Hawke, sniffed the girls again and put his head gently on Rose first. Hawke showed her where to scratch him, and she told Midnight she loved him. Then she gave him her carrot like she saw Hawke do. Midnight went to Mary, and she followed Hawke's instructions.

After everyone got their hugs Hawke told Midnight thank you and let him run off. The girls had all kinds of questions and Hawke answered.

"Can all horses do that?" Mary asked.

"No silly, they have to be trained, don't they Arik? The ones my daddy had couldn't," Rose said quietly, and he saw tears in her eyes.

Hawke picked her up and held her tightly. "I'm sorry baby, I'm so sorry." He looked to Mary, and she was starting to cry. Elayne picked her up and cradled her against her. Hawke took Rose over to the seat he had made from an old tree stump and sat down with her in his lap. "Rose, look at me sweetie, I know it hurts baby, but we're going to help you both get through this. I know you probably don't want to but do you want to talk to me about it? A very wise man I know told me that it helps to talk about things when they hurt, it helps with the pain that your feeling. I know you don't know who he is, but he's Elayne's father, he'll be here in a few days. He's very a smart and wise man, he helped me when I was hurting by letting me talk to him. Can I do the same for you, will you talk to me, so I can help you with your pain, because I don't want you to hurt. I want to see both you girls playing and laughing and having fun. Will you let me help you sweetheart?"

"Arik," she asked quietly after a few minutes. "Did you take care of the bad guys like Aunty Bethany said, so they won't hurt anyone again?"

He pushed the hair away from her eyes, "yes sweetheart I did. They'll never hurt you or anyone ever again. You girls are safe, I promise."

She reached up, put her arms on his neck and kissed him on the cheek, "thank you Arik. I'm glad no one else has to lose their family like we lost ours." She swallowed, looked up at him with tears in her eyes, "Arik, I'm cold, can you hug me tighter." He wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tighter. "Can I tell you a secret, Arik," she whispered, shivering.

Hawke froze, then put both his hands on her face, looked into her eyes, "you saw what they did, didn't you?" Rose nodded and buried her head in his chest, crying. Hawke held her against him, rocking her, trying to keep himself from crying with her. "Did your sister see it?"

She shook her head, "I heard screaming, and I tiptoed to the bedroom door and peeked out. My daddy was on the floor along with my uncles, there was blood everywhere. I ran to our closet that had a small space that we could crawl into to hide when we played hide and seek, and I put Mary behind me. I told her to cover her ears and close her eyes and to start counting in her head, that we were playing hide and seek, and she hid her eyes and started counting. My mommy came running in the bedroom and a few guys came after her. They hit mommy and," she closed her eyes and started crying harder, he pulled her closer to him letting her cry.

She looked up at him when he put his finger under her chin, "shh, that's okay baby, you don't need to talk about that," he whispered as she snuggled closer to him.

After a while she started talking again, "we hid in there until I couldn't hear anything and I snuck us out the back door, and we ran until we got to Lothering. I tried to be a good girl, tried to protect my sister. We went to the shelter and got some food, but I didn't know anybody. I tried to hide my sister and me in case the bad men came to find us. Then you came along, you were so nice and caring, gave us food and held us. I don't want to dream about the bad things anymore. Can you make the bad dreams go away, please Arik?" His heart shattered and he held her tightly to him as she cried. He looked over at Elayne, the other women, they hadn't heard, and he was grateful for that. He felt hot tears falling down his own face as he held this sweet angel in his arms. Maker have mercy on her poor soul.

She finally stopped crying but he kept rocking her. She looked up at him, he wiped her tears with his thumb, kissed her on each cheek. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. "Thank you Arik, that did help. I love you. Can I go see my sister now." He nodded to her and let her go and she ran off to her sister. Elayne came over and tried to talk to him, but he just sat there numb. He suddenly stood up and walked away, his head in a daze. To not only witness your family's death but to see your mom being attacked and then stabbed after. No, no one should have to see that especially a ten-year-old little girl. He turned around to no one, everyone, "I'll be back," he whistled for Midnight.

He left, he needed to clear his head, he needed to think. But all he could think about was Rose's words, he couldn't get the images out of his head. He buried his head in Midnights mane and wept. He wept for two little girls that had their family and lives literally ripped from them, he wept for a little girl who had witnessed a brutal attack on the very person who had given birth to her, who she called mommy, he wept for the sweet innocence that was lost that day. He wept until he couldn't anymore.

He didn't know how long he was gone. By the time he got back it was a little past dusk. He let Midnight go, walked towards the house, the girls came running out in their pajamas, and he picked them up holding them. He walked into the house and looked at Elayne, "would you go get some clothes for us tonight. I'm taking them with me to the guest house for the night." She nodded and called her horse.

He looked at the girls, "did you eat?" They said they had. "Would you like to stay with me tonight?" They nodded. "Ok, I need to talk to the ladies, while you guys go into your room and pick out a few toys for bed. Promise me you'll stay in there please until I come and get you."

"We promise," they chirped. By then Elayne was back. He took the bag and thanked her and turned back to the girls. "Okay my sweet little princesses, it's time for you to go to your room and don't come out until I come and get you." They hugged him and ran into the house. He walked in, asked everyone to meet him outside while he grabbed a big bowl of stew and downed it.

He grabbed another bowl and went to the table outside and sat down. "How did they sleep last night," he asked.

It was Bethany who answered, "they both slept good until Rose woke up screaming. Mom took Mary to bed with her and I used my magic to soothe Rose until she fell back to sleep. We didn't give them anymore tea, Mary fell back to sleep once mom laid down with her and I slept with Rose in case she woke screaming again." She swallowed as she looked at him, "She saw, didn't she?"

Hawke nodded, chocking back the sudden pain that went through him, "Mary was asking if all horses could do what Midnight does. Rose mentioned her father's horses, and she quit talking and started crying. I told her that if she wanted to talk it might help her with the pain. She asked if I had really taken care of the bad men that had hurt her mommy and daddy like you had told her. I told her I did and that they wouldn't be hurting anyone ever again. Then she wanted to tell me a secret and I asked her if she seen what had happened. She told me everything." He told them what she had said. By the time he was done all the women were crying.

"That poor baby," Elayne said quietly. She dried her eyes trying to be firm and looked at him. "What do you want to do, what ever it is I'll stand by you, I'll support you."

"You mean that? Even if I decide to keep them? You ready to be a mom?" He watched her closely, knowing he was asking a lot from her.

"Yes, Hawke, you're my husband, if you decide to take those girls in as your own then I'll be there with you all the way. "But," she suddenly blushed slightly, "I want a baby of my own, okay?"

Everyone chuckled at that especially when she started blushing even more furiously. He looked at her, pulled her into his arms and kissed her. "Deal, we'll have as many babies as you want when the time is right. As far as the girls, I haven't decided yet. But that's not my main concern, Rose asked me if I could make the nightmares go away, in other words she wants the images of her moms attack taken away. I can do that, it would be a blank spot there but it might cause some issues with her depending how much that memory is in her subconscious and it resurfaces again later in her life. But do I have a right to take that memory away or do I let her keep it and help her deal with the loss and the nightmares?"

"That my son, is what some would call a moral dilemma." Eleanor said. "I can't answer that, nor can anyone else. We can give you advice or counsel, but that's something that you personally have to figure out for yourself." She looked him in the eye, "I know you're warring with yourself. You know it's wrong, but you want to help that little girl and don't want to see her suffer even more, or you would have already done it."

He swallowed and nodded. "You're right, ma'am. That's exactly what's going on. The fact that I know its wrong keeps me from doing it already. But I don't want to see her suffer any more than she has too. And you're also right, it's a decision I alone have to make."

He sat there for a minute as plans started forming in his head and he looked at his mother and sister. "I have a proposition to make. Would you guys be willing to take the girls overnight every other night, and we'll take them the other nights?"

"Of course son, that works well with us." Leandra said quietly as she watched his mind working.

"Good then Bethany, I need you to remove both brothers and your stuff from my spare room. It now belongs to the girls. I'll help you in moving them."

He looked over at his mother and sister, "you two know what tomorrow is, I know you guys didn't get to finish your outing and I apologize for that, if you'd like you can finish it tomorrow."

All the women looked at each other, and they all nodded to him.

"Good, if there's anything else the girls need, make a list, and we'll pick it up. I'll go let the soldiers know." He looked at each woman, "also, I want to thank you all for helping with the girls. And thank you, Bethany and Elayne for doing the chores this morning. Yesterday with the girls took more out of me emotionally then I thought, and I was majorly hung over. Thank you, Bethany, for your concoction, it tasted like shit, but it worked." They chuckled at that, "now I know it's late, the girls need sleep. Let me go talk to the Captain about tomorrow, and I'll come get the girls." He took Elayne aside, "can you go get a room ready for them that's by the one we used the other night please?" She nodded and headed in that direction.

He walked over to the bunk house and knocked on the door. A soldier opened it and Hawke walked in, thanking the soldier. He was glad to see that everyone was there and awake.

"Gentlemen, tomorrow I have to go into town to make my weekly delivery and the ladies want to finish their outing that was interrupted the other day. The same rules apply as then. Also, who were the two that helped my wife and sister this morning with the chores?" Not surprising it was the two that was with him from the very beginning. The two that always volunteered when Hawke asked a favor. He took out two gold coins and gave each one a coin. "Thank you gentlemen for your help. I really appreciated it." They tried to protest but he ignored them and walked to the door bidding everyone a good night.

Elayne met him at the door to his moms house, letting him know everything was ready. They walked in and headed to the girls room. They were still awake laughing and playing, and he asked them if they were ready. Rose jumped in his arms and Mary got into Elayne's, then he grabbed the tea and the bags, and they headed to the guest house. He followed Elayne to the room that she had gotten ready, and they put them to bed. Elayne made the tea the way Hawke told her, and he snuggled them under the blankets.