Heavy Traffic

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BobbyBrandt
BobbyBrandt
1,339 Followers

"I know what the Brachial plexus is. Do you have medical training too?"

Sean chuckled, and said, "I have very limited medical training, focused upon first aid and battlefield first response. My knowledge of anatomy comes from training in close-quarter combat and identifying lethal and non-lethal pressure points and other targets on the human body."

"L'amour sans confiance n'est rien."

"You're absolutely right," agreed Sean. "Love without trust is nothing. I realized that what I had with Kimberly all along really couldn't have been love because I never trusted her, so I can't really complain of a broken heart where she is concerned. I was more disappointed than anything about admitting to myself that I had been prepared to 'settle' for Kimberly at the cost of my dreams."

Amanda reflected on her own past relationships, or lack thereof. She had been raised in one of the most remote sections of Australia, homeschooled until college, and had very limited exposure to boys her own age for most of her adolescent life. She didn't have any dates until she was away from home at college, didn't kiss a boy until she was 19 years old and there had only been two other opportunities since that first time. She knew that her self-imposed lack of relationships had been influenced by what her parents had demonstrated to her as the perfect life between a man and a woman and the subsequent expectations that she had developed for any man to garner her attention.

Sean Wallace had her attention now.

Restraining her desire to know what Sean's 'dreams' were and who Sean's father was as it influenced this Kimberly woman's intentions relative to their marriage, Amanda asked, "So is that when you began your hibernation? After breaking up with Kimberly?"

"Shortly thereafter," Sean confirmed. "I had business responsibilities that I couldn't just walk away from, so I had to appoint some people to act on my behalf and to make critical decisions in my absence. I've been monitoring things from afar and focusing on some other business concerns. Now I need to get back to work and take the reins myself once more. Enough about me, I want to hear about you for a change."

Amanda studied him for a minute and then said, "There's not much to tell."

"I believe differently, and you know differently. Fair is fair, Amanda. Plus, I am genuinely interested in getting to know more about the mystery woman who has so adeptly penetrated my shell. I know that self-deprecation is a British trait, but I never realized it had spanned the Queen's domain to include Australia,"

"I don't know what in my life would interest you," she said.

Sean recognized a trait that he had himself in her reluctant demeanor. He really did want to get to know more about her, but he didn't want to make her uncomfortable in sharing what she felt was important while maintaining some degree of privacy where she felt it necessary.

"Why don't you just start with a chronological summary of your life so far and I'll ask questions along the way?"

"Should I lay down, doctor, as I recount my childhood?"

Sean chuckled but waited for her to continue.

"I was born Amanda Jean Wallace on March 18, 1989," she began.

"What?" Sean interrupted, glad that there were no other vehicles in the lanes next to him as his reaction caused him to stray into other lanes as he kept stealing glances at Amanda.

"You didn't mention that your last name was the same as mine."

Amanda couldn't restrain a laugh. "I thought it might freak you out, even though Wallace isn't that uncommon a name in the English-speaking world. I doubt that we are related, but it might be fun to compare family trees sometime. My father is reported to be descended from William Wallace himself."

Leaning over and squeezing his hand she said, "I'm certain we're at least kissing cousins."

"I think it's great," said Sean with a grin. "It will make checking into a motel with you seem less seedy. Now continue with your life story."

"Okay, so I was born the first daughter of Leonard and Olivia Wallace. I had a brother Michael who was four years older than me but no other siblings. We lived on a seven-thousand-acre station that was a combination of properties from both my parents' families. They had grown up on adjoining stations in the Northern Territory, about 80 kilometers east of the city of Katherine. When they got married, the two stations were combined into one. My brother and I worked on the station when we weren't in school and when my parents were killed in a plane crash five years ago, he and I took over total management of the family business operations. I say that he and I took over but it was mostly just him. I was in nursing school and could handle financial and other transactions remotely by computer or on the phone, but he had to remain at the station overseeing actual operations of it and our other holdings."

"Sorry to hear about your parents," Sean said.

"Thank you, Sean," she said. "Unfortunately, my brother died eighteen months after my parents did. He had an undiagnosed heart defect that surfaced suddenly and with the station being so remote, there wasn't any opportunity for the right medical treatment to get there in time to save him. With both my parents and my brother gone, I had no reason to return to the station, so I rolled it into a holding company with our family's other enterprises and have trustees managing it all for the time being. Since I was suddenly an orphan myself, I decided to devote my nursing skills to helping others in the same situation, only younger. That pretty well brings you up-to-date on my life."

"Do you plan on returning to the orphanage after this is over?"

"I haven't thought that far ahead. My motivation for going there was largely my sense of loss, and I've gotten over most of that. I am financially secure enough to explore other options for my life. I just don't know what those might be at this time."

"Sounds like you may be about to awaken from your own hibernation."

"Well," she teased, "You do make it sound so exciting; maybe I'll follow your lead and give it a try."

Chapter Three

"I have made you and I will carry you. I will sustain you and I will rescue you."

- Isaiah 46:4

***

Just before reaching Camilla, Georgia, where they switched from Highway 97 to Highway 300, Sean received a second signal bar on the display of his cell phone and determined that he would be able to maintain a connection that justified pairing the phone with the hands-free Bluetooth feature in his car.

Amanda watched as Sean paired his phone and silently demonstrated her appreciation by making a zippered motion across her lips, followed by a smile.

Sean saw her motion and grinned as he nodded in response while he spoke his first voice command, "Call Karen."

The speakers in his car were quickly filled with the sound of a ringing phone, followed almost immediately by the sound of a woman's voice, "Sean?"

"Good morning, sleepy head. How is the morning sickness this morning?"

Amanda's interest in the conversation was suddenly piqued, but she tried to hide it by focusing her attention on the scenery passing by.

"It's not too bad this morning. Are we still on for lunch?" asked Karen.

"That's why I'm calling," said Sean. "Something's come up and I'll need to cancel, but on a positive note, you'll be able to head home earlier than planned. Would you need any help getting an earlier flight?"

"No thanks. I'll wait to see how I feel in a little while before deciding. When can we talk again? There's still a lot that we need to cover together before things move too far."

"I'm going to have to place my focus elsewhere for at least a week, Karen. You also need to ease your husband's concerns by spending some quality time with him for a change."

"Oh, I'll be sure to distract him when I get home, don't worry. I could use the distraction myself."

"Okay, Karen. Safe travels. Shoot me a text or e-mail to let me know you made it home alright."

"I will Sean. I'll miss you. Bye."

"Me too, Karen. Bye."

Sean ended the call, but before dialing his next number he glanced over and saw a look of suspicion on Amanda's face.

"Sorry, that was Karen Mason. I was supposed to meet with her today to go over some business matters, but I think our mission right now is more important."

"Is she pregnant?" asked Amanda.

Sean nodded, "Yeah, with her first. She and her husband live in Southern California and she had flown out here last week for our business, so I'm glad that she now has the opportunity to get back home sooner."

"I'm sure she'll be more comfortable at home," Amanda said, but her expression was still etched with suspicion.

"She and Kyle both, I'm sure," agreed Sean. "They both lead very busy lives, but this is the first time that they have been apart since they got married, and with her telling him she was pregnant right before this trip has made them both a bit tense about their separation."

"So, you know her husband?" asked Amanda.

"Kyle? Sure, that's how I met Karen, through my friendship with Kyle."

"I see," said Amanda with an obvious lightening of her mood.

Noticing that Amanda seemed placated for the moment, Sean made another call.

"Call Kirby."

Once more the speakers in his car came to life with ringing followed by the voice of his uncle, "Sean?"

"Yes, sir. We're almost to Camilla so we should be in good cell range from now until Atlanta."

"Good," Kirby said. "You still plan on taking Highway 300 north from there?"

"That's the plan," confirmed Sean.

As Sean and his uncle were speaking, Amanda listened to their conversation while considering her reactions to the previous call between Sean and Karen Mason. Her initial surge of jealousy surprised her, but not as much as the elation that she now felt knowing that they were just friends. She liked the last feeling much better where Sean Wallace was concerned.

"Do you know where the Marine Corps Logistics Base is in Albany?" Kirby asked.

"It shouldn't be too hard to find," said Sean. "Do we need to stop there?"

"Just at the front gate. A special agent from Immigration and Custom Enforcement is choppering there right now from FLETC where a briefing on Homeland Security's Blue Campaign is being held."

"Blue Campaign?" asked Amanda. Sean glanced at her and she just shrugged and grinned.

"Who was that?" asked Kirby.

"Sorry," said Sean. "I forgot that you two hadn't been introduced yet. Amanda Wallace, say hello to my Uncle Kirby. Uncle Kirby, say hello to Amanda Wallace. Amanda is the young lady I met earlier today that brought all of this to our attention."

"Wallace?" asked Kirby.

Amanda laughed and said, "From a very distant branch of the family tree, I'm sure Uncle Kirby. I'm pleased to meet you, or your voice at least."

"Family needs to stick together," said Kirby. "To answer your question Amanda, Homeland Security's Blue Campaign is a comprehensive education program that teaches law enforcement officers how to recognize human trafficking encountered during routine duties, how to protect victims, and how to initiate human trafficking investigations. We are fortunate that some of the nation's experts are in the area right now and moving to help us find these girls."

"We're about ninety minutes from Albany," said Sean.

"That should be perfect," said Kirby. "Special Agent Mickey Anderson will be waiting for you at the main gate. You and Amanda need to provide as much information as possible that will allow I.C.E. to move their investigation forward to determine where the security breakdowns occurred and get to those responsible on all sides of the distribution chain."

"We'll do what we can. Do you have any update on the FBI being able to meet Gideon when he arrives in Bainbridge or what is going on at his cabin?" asked Sean.

"One of my colleagues has taken charge of the prisoners at the cabin. He hasn't arrived himself yet, but U.S. Forest Service Law Enforcement and Investigations officers from Apalachicola National Forest headquarters near Tallahassee are on site at Mr. James' cabin, had the prisoners transported to Naval Air Station Pensacola via Coast Guard helicopter and have the site secured awaiting the arrival of the FBI and Mr. James. No local authorities have been brought in or are aware of the situation as far as we know right now. Your involvement is 'need-to-know' currently, but I've got your back."

Kirby continued, "How long do you think we have before the locals get curious or decide to check out the situation on their own? I mean, if your suspicions about the local Sheriff being involved are correct, won't he eventually go to the cabin to check the scene in preparation for what Mr. James would be expected to find when he returns?"

Sean considered this for a minute and then responded, "Based upon what the Tangos implied that they were going to film, I would assume that they felt confident that they would not be interrupted today. My guess is that no one will venture out to check things until tomorrow at the earliest, but a single sentry with a view of the turn-off from Highway 97 would be able to see anyone coming at least 10 miles away. There is no other way for a vehicle to get to the cabin."

"We don't know enough about their operation to assume anything right now," said Kirby.

"You're right," agreed Sean. "But from what the Tangos confessed, everything points to their deal to purchase Amanda being completely separate from the smuggling operation involving the other girls, so the communication protocols of one wouldn't likely apply to the other. On the other hand, their contacts here are likely involved in both, or at least have significant knowledge of the smuggling operation even if they do not have direct involvement in it. If the ship off-loaded in Bainbridge that is out of Morgan Smith's jurisdiction so how did he get involved in this?"

"Those are among the points you need to discuss with Special Agent Anderson," said Kirby. "I.C.E. will be taking point on the human trafficking investigation from here on. The FBI and all other agencies will be at their disposal and be prepared to respond in rescuing the girls, but we obviously have some serious players involved that need to be identified and brought to justice."

"Is Special Agent Anderson stationed at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center? I met a Michelle Anderson a few years back while I was there helping them analyze which close quarter combat techniques that they wanted to standardize on."

Sean mentioned the full name of the facility because he could see that Amanda was confused about the acronym 'FLETC' which Kirby had used earlier. "I believe she was with I.C.E., but we only chatted briefly over dinner one night so I might be mistaken."

Sean remembered Michelle Anderson also being very frank and obvious in her desire for them to hook up, even if just for a one-night stand. She was a very attractive woman whose body held the promise of enormous sexual pleasure, but Sean had declined all of her advances at the time. Glancing over at Amanda, he knew instinctively that he would do the same with Michelle if the propositions were repeated today. Michelle Anderson was unquestionably attractive, but glancing at the woman beside him, Sean saw that next to Amanda Wallace, she would look like she had been soaked in bleach too long.

"I wouldn't know," said Kirby. "I guess you'll find out once you get to Albany. I just received an e-mail message that mentions a weather front moving into Georgia from the west. There is concern that clouds may obscure our drone imagery on the trucks within the next few hours."

"If the target truck takes 75 north, there is a Department of Transportation weigh station near Forsyth that they will need to stop at," mentioned Sean. "Can we get anything in place to quarantine and inspect the truck at that point?"

Kirby was quick to respond, "I already checked into that. The scales at that station are down for service so it is closed. When the target truck received a green bypass signal from the PrePass transponder as it approached the weigh station near Valdosta, it raised another flag relative to who might have entered information on this truck into the database that the system uses to establish a particular truck's qualifications to bypass the station. It is one of several strands to this spider web we have to navigate to uncover the depth of the conspiracy."

"What are our options for tracking the truck if we lose drone imagery?" asked Sean.

"We have already begun positioning local law enforcement vehicles onto overpasses and in the center median where necessary," reported Kirby. "We are fortunate that Interstate 75 through Georgia is notorious for all the speed traps along its route, so as long as the cars positioned to report the truck's movements have their radar or laser detection devices broadcasting, their presence probably won't raise any undue concerns for our target. An added bonus to that is the effect it will have on overall traffic speeds by slowing everyone on the road down. The toughest challenge is getting the locals to simply report the truck's location without taking any action on their own to intercede. I'm going to be calling each of the involved jurisdictions personally over the next few hours to make certain that they understand and accept their role."

"If we can meet up with Special Agent Anderson and get in position early enough, do you think we should try and tail the target truck?" asked Sean.

"I'll leave that decision up to Anderson, but my gut instinct would be to advise against anything other than strictly passive tracking at this time." Kirby continued, "While we want to break up the conspiracy that is obviously in place, our first concern is the safety of the girls. There have been instances where traffickers eliminate the evidence when they are cornered."

Amanda gasped when Kirby mentioned this. Sean reached over and squeezed her hand.

"Understood, and we agree with the priorities here," he said. "I'll update you once we have met up with Special Agent Anderson."

"Do you have any weapons with you?" asked Kirby.

"I assume you mean weapons besides myself," answered Sean. Amanda shot him a questioning look, but he ignored it.

"Just the Smith & Wesson forty-five compact that I always keep under the seat."

"Well, let's see how things progress before we arm you for bear," said Kirby with a chuckle. "But you don't need arms for a bear, do you? Hopefully, we can keep you on a green mission. I'll wait to hear from you. Bye."

Sean glanced over at Amanda and recognized her exhaustion, "Why don't you try to get a little sleep? I can hold off on other calls until later, and once we pick up Special Agent Anderson the conversation in the car will make it harder for you to rest."

"You don't mind? Can I crawl into the back seat and lie down there?"

"Sure," said Sean as he pulled along the shoulder of the road and stopped. "Let's get you as comfortable as possible."

Amanda got out of the front seat. Sean met her at the back door and helped position his duffle bag for her to use as a pillow as she stretched out across the back seat.

"This is the best we can do for right now, so I hope it allows you to get some rest."

He closed the back door and returned to the driver's seat.

"Thank you, Sean."

Sean turned off his hands-free Bluetooth and put his phone on vibrate ring before pulling the car back onto the road. He didn't want the phone to wake Amanda in the event someone called. He knew that she had to be exhausted from both a lack of sleep as well as coming down from the Adrenalin rush her ordeal was certain to have produced.

BobbyBrandt
BobbyBrandt
1,339 Followers
1...34567...51