Helping Hands

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, I'm ready to get to work," he told Dr. Weber.

"Not yet," the older man replied. Cassandra handed him a white lab coat and Dr. Weber showed it to Zack. His name was embroidered in cursive over the left breast pocket with the letters 'DVM' after it. "Turn around young man," he told him. Zack did so and Jerry helped him put on the visible sign of his new profession. "Now you're ready to go to work," he told him with a clap on the shoulder. "I'm real proud of you, Zack."

Zack wasn't the emotional type, but this man had lately been more of a father to him than his own dad and he felt himself swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat. Cassandra was also smiling at him and said, "I'm very proud of you, too...Doctor."

Zack had to admit she really was a very pretty girl. She'd gone to the same high school he'd attended then did two years at a local community college earning her veterinarian assistant's qualifications. She'd also interned there last summer and that's where they'd first met and she'd been working there since.

Cassandra found a way to let him know within his first few hours as a vet she wasn't dating anyone implying rather strongly she was still very open to being asked out. Zack tried not to laugh as he imagined Cassandra waiting for him to come home hoping something might happen between them while he was doing the same thing only with another, older woman in mind. All he told Cass was he was surprised she was still single considering how attractive she was and hoped that would fend her off for a while.

As he thought of Kendall for the first time since coming to work, not expecting to actually start work, he said to Dr. Weber, "So how's Mrs. Kelly—and her horses—doing these days?"

"Kendall? Oh, she seems to finally be doing better. I saw her here in town just last week. We didn't have a chance to talk, but I did wave to her and say hello. She was with some nice-looking guy who was opening the door for her at The Pantry." He paused for a moment as he looked down at his clipboard then said, "It's really good to see her getting back on her feet again."

The Pantry was one of Pueblo's many restaurants and Zack got that sick feeling in the pit of his stomach when he learned Kendall was already seeing somebody else. That feeling quickly passed as he told himself this was just an opportunity presenting itself in the form of a challenge. He wasn't sure he believed his own propaganda, but for now it was all he had to offer himself so he clung to it for all it was worth.

"As to her horses, they're all doing just fine. In fact, I delivered a foal out there about four months ago. Strong little colt. Might even be a good stallion for breeding. If not, we'll probably be gelding him soon so he can be used as a riding horse. Time will tell, right?" he quipped.

Zack smiled but managed not to laugh at the use of the very phrase he'd used himself several times recently.

"She's got another mare that's gotta be getting close now too, so we'll probably be getting a call from her soon and you can see for yourself."

Just then an older couple came in and Zack could tell who they were without asking.

"So...what's the verdict, Jerry?" the man asked.

Dr. Weber shook his head and that answered their question. Zack saw the woman's eyes tear up and hoped against hope he wouldn't asked to put their dog down.

"I guess they only other question is whether or not you want to be with him," Dr. Weber said with genuine concern.

"No...but we can't not be," the man said. "You ready?" he asked his wife.

She began crying as they headed toward the back. Zack breathed a sigh of relief when Dr. Weber didn't even turn toward him. Ten minutes later the couple came back out. The woman was still crying and the man also had tears in his eyes.

"He had a long, full life, honey," the man said to his wife, his voice choked with emotion.

"I know," she replied quietly. "It was his time."

Dr. Weber shook hands with the man and hugged the woman as they thanked him again for taking care of their beloved Gizmo his entire life. "He was a wonderful member of the family, and you're the ones who took care of him. It was my honor to help you do that," Dr. Weber told them.

Cassandra had the unpleasant task of taking care of any remains after an animal had to be put down. Zack didn't know that until later and when he found out, he promised himself he'd never make her do it alone again.

With that behind him, Zack finished out his first day rather uneventfully. Before he left he knew how to take care of most of the basics involving the vet-specific programs on his computer and felt satisfied he could muddle through with some help until he had some actual experience under his belt. He thanked Dr. Weber again for hiring him and said goodbye to Cassandra as they locked up.

"Oh. Hold on," Doctor Weber said. He fished around in his pocket and pulled out a long, silver key and handed it to Zack. "You might need this next time." He also gave him the six-digit code for the security system at the same time.

Zack grinned as he thought about his first attempt to get inside as he accepted the key. "See you Monday?" Zack said.

"Bright and early!" Dr. Weber told him.

As he went to get in his car, he sensed a presence behind him. He hadn't noticed Cassandra following him and was slightly started when he saw her reflection in his window.

"Sorry. I wasn't trying to sneak up on you," she said. Her hands were clasped just below her waist as she asked, "So how was your first day?" Her smile was bright and pleasant.

"Not too bad. Other than the paperwork and Gizmo, of course."

"Yeah, that's always so sad. Even when there's no other option left."

"So um...I guess I'll see you on Monday then."

"Oh, right," she said. As Zack opened his door, Cass said, "Well, unless you'd like to maybe hang out or something."

Normally Zack would have politely declined, but with Kendall already seeing someone and him having nothing to do until Monday he said, "You know what? That might be nice. What did you have in mind, Cass?"

"Well, we could maybe go see a movie or get something to eat. Dutch treat, of course."

Zack smiled and said, "No, sorry. I can't do that. If I go out with a girl—even if it's not a date—I pay."

He saw Cass's smile fade away when he let her know this might not be a date as she said, "Oh, okay." The smile returned as she told him, "I should expect nothing else from a gentleman like yourself though, huh?"

"So...a movie?" Zack asked.

"Sure. I could meet you at the Tinseltown at 5 o'clock if that works for you."

Zack didn't ask what movie she wanted to see nor did he insist on picking her up. He'd pay for her ticket and buy her popcorn, but this really wasn't a date, at least not in his mind. It was just hanging out. "Okay. Sounds good. See you at five, Cass."

"Okay," she said cheerfully. "See you then, Zack!" She stood there smiling the whole time as she watched him back out. She waved as he pulled away and Zack politely waved back wondering if this might not be a mistake.

He slept in the following morning, something he almost never did, even on Sundays. Zack was either studying or working out or doing something. Sleeping was a necessity, not something he enjoyed. He spent a lazy morning at home then had lunch with his mom and avoiding his dad by going to a local gym to work out. He came home, showered and laid low until he got ready to leave. "I'll be back later," he told his mom.

"Got a date already?" she teased her perpetual smile turned on.

"Not really. Just seeing a movie with Cass."

"Oh, Dr. Weber's assistant. She seems nice."

"It's not a date, Mom. We're just watching a movie together."

"Oh, okay. Um...does she know it isn't a date?"

"I think so," he told her.

"Well, you know how girls are, Zack. Especially when it comes to a nice looking boy like yourself. She might be thinking or at least hoping it's something more."

"Don't worry, Mom. I won't hurt her feelings," he assured her.

"I have no doubt about that. You've always been so sweet to all the girls."

Zack didn't laugh or even smile as he thought back on how many girls he'd been 'sweet' to since high school. "See you later, Mom," he said as he headed out.

He spotted Cassandra immediately. She was wearing a cute little top and a pair of shorts on this warm summer day. She had a sweater draped over her arm along with her purse and Zack knew that was because girls always seemed to get cold inside when they guys they were with found the temperature comfortable or even too warm.

"Hey there," he said as he walked up to her. "You look very nice."

"Well, thank you!" she said smiling brightly at him. "You too, by the way."

"So what are we seeing?" he asked her.

She gave him two choices and once they made their decision, Zack bought two tickets and went inside. Cassandra was talking non-stop as they got in line to buy snacks, but Zack didn't hear a word she said after he saw the golden hair two lines over and in front of him. She didn't even need to turn around. He knew it was her. Even from the back, she was the most gorgeous creature he'd ever seen. That she was wearing a pair of tight jeans and a cute, sleeveless knit top was an added bonus.

Considering she was with the guy Zack assumed Dr. Weber had told him about, he had no intention of even saying hello. Kendall was laughing and being playful with the guy, both signs of a romantic relationship.

"Zack? Hey! Zack?"

He turned toward Cassandra and realized they were next in line. "What size do we want?" she asked pointing to the various tubs for popcorn.

He looked back over and Kendall and her male friend again as he said absent-mindedly, "Get whatever you want, Cass." He saw Kendall laugh again then playfully push the guy she was with sending more signals this was more than a friend.

Zack had no idea what the movie was about and forgot what it was even called as he made sure they sat well behind Kendall and her...boyfriend. He sat there and stared at them the entire time paying absolutely no attention to what was happening on the screen. The only encouraging thing was that there were no additional signs of affection. They never kissed, he didn't put his arm around her, and she never laid her head on shoulder. Zack's hope was perhaps they'd just started dating and it wasn't serious yet.

To his complete surprise, Zack felt Cassandra's arm slip inside his. He looked over and saw her crying. "Hey, are you okay?" he asked.

"This is just SO sad!" she told him. Evidently the man the lead actress loved had died leaving her all alone.

"Oh, yeah. It is sad," he said having no idea what was going on. Moments later, Cass rested her head on his shoulder and Zack's only thought was hoping Kendall wouldn't turn around and see them. When the movie ended, Zack rushed them up and out and to his great relief Cassandra didn't ask him why he was in such a hurry.

Outside Cass said, "That was such a good movie." She noticed Zack wasn't paying attention to her and seemed to be looking around for someone. Undeterred she asked, "Did you like it?"

Zack saw Kendall and her...guy...leave the theater and to his relief, go the other direction. "Um, yeah. It was really great, Cass."

"So...do you wanna maybe get something to eat?" she asked hopefully.

Zack watched Kendall disappear from sight and told her, "You know, I think I'll pass on that." He saw the disappointment on her face and said, "But I had a really nice time, Cass. I'm glad we did this."

Her smile returned and she said, "Me, too." They stood there in silence for a few moments before she said, "Well, okay. I guess I should get going then."

"Do you need a ride?" Zack asked her.

"No, I have a car. Well, it's my dad's car, but I do have a way home."

"Okay. So I guess I'll see you tomorrow then," he told her.

Zack was being polite and smiling at Cass when she stepped forward and kissed him on the cheek before saying very quickly, "Bye, Zack and thank you for going out with me." She turned around just as quickly and headed off leaving Zack to wonder whether or not Cass understood this wasn't really a date. There wasn't anything more he could do about that for now so he headed back to his car to go home.

His mom had kept dinner warm for him just in case, and he was glad she had. He was starving and her pork chops and mashed potatoes and gravy were one of his favorite meals. They made small talk about the movie with Zack avoiding discussing the plot or what he'd seen. Or rather...whom he'd seen.

On his first full day at work, Zack managed to keep Cass at arm's length as he saw one animal after another then dealt with the paperwork that inevitably followed. He did his best to chat with each owner as he knew he needed to develop a rapport with them if he hoped to keep their business once Dr. Weber retired. He was an immediate hit with all the women who brought their pets in and he thought he'd gotten along well with the handful of men, as well.

He also now felt very comfortable with the programs he needed to use and while he hadn't mastered them, he could navigate through them with relative ease. As he was finishing up the paperwork on his last patient, a rabbit needing to be neutered, Cass came in and asked if he needed anything else. "No thanks, Cass. I'm good. But thank you for all your help today. This place would fall apart without you."

Before she could answer he heard Dr. Weber say, "Amen to that!" He'd been just outside talking to someone and overheard his comment. He put his arm around Cass and said, "She's the glue that holds this place together!"

Cass clearly loved the attention and said, "Ahh! That is so sweet, Dr. Weber."

"Well, it's true," he told her. "How are things with you, Dr. Bartlett?"

"I'm getting the hang of it," he told the older man. "Cass has been invaluable showing me the ropes."

Cass smiled sweetly at him as they all heard the phone. "Excuse me," she said as she ran to get it.

"Dr. Weber? It's Mrs. Kelly," they both heard Cassandra call out.

"I'll take it in here," he called back. "Do you mind?" he asked pointing to Zack's phone.

"No, of course not," he said getting out of the way.

Dr. Weber picked up the phone and said, "Hi, Kendall. Is it time?" He laughed then said, "Well, why else would a beautiful woman like you being calling an old man like me?" He laughed again then said, "Okay. We'll there in a few minutes. Oh, I'm bringing my new partner with me, by the way. He was asking about you a few days ago." There was another pause before he said, "Yes. Zack. Or—Doctor Bartlett as we sometimes call him around here now." Dr. Weber winked at him as he told Kendall, "All right. We'll be right there."

He looked over at Zack and said loudly, "Road trip!"

They grabbed their bags, told Cass they'd see her tomorrow and headed out toward Vineland. The ranch wasn't in Vineland. It was in between Vineland and Pueblo which was a big part of the reason why the Kellys had used Dr. Weber, whose practice was in Pueblo, as their vet for so long.

Dr. Weber drove as they headed east on US 50 before turning north onto 233. Zack noticed his heart was beating faster as he saw he saw the ranch come into view. They turned onto the access road that was essentially a half-mile-long driveway before coming to a stop near the barn.

Zack hadn't been there in a year, but nothing had really changed. He knew exactly where this mare would be waiting for them and he assumed Kendall would be there, as well. What he hadn't expected was to see the guy with the great hair standing next her as they walked into the barn.

"Dr. Weber! Thank you for coming on such short notice!" she said as they hugged.

She looked over at Zack and said, "Zack. Hi!" She hugged him too, and Zack felt his heart skip a beat as he smelled her familiar perfume and touched her long, blonde hair with his hand as he hugged her back. "Look at you. All handsome and a veterinarian! I can't believe you're that same skinny boy who came out here to learn to ride way back when."

Her smile was killing him as she sized him up. "Wow. I am just so proud of you, Zachary!" Kendall was the only person other than his mother he allowed to call him by his full name. He always hated it, but when Kendall said it, it sounded like sweet music to his ears.

"You're looking amazing as always," he finally managed to say.

"Hah! You're such a good guy. I like look a mess after working all day around here and you still find a way to make me feel beautiful," she said as the man who'd just been standing there stuck out his hand.

"You must be Zack," he said as they shook. "I'm Barrett."

Zack looked him over and guessed him to be a few years younger than Kendall. He was as tall as Zack and in very good shape for any guy but especially for someone who probably around 30. "I am. It's nice to meet you too, Barrett."

Zack wanted to ask who he was and more importantly, what he was to Kendall, but the mare was in need of immediate attention so pleasantries and formalities would have to wait. The only positive he could see in this was that Kendall obviously had no issue with dating younger men and Zack took hope.

Zack had assisted in the delivery most animals like dogs and cats as well as both calves and foals at a nearby farm in vet school, but he'd never flown solo. As with Gizmo, Zack was relieved when Dr. Weber took the lead and only asked Zack for his assistance as needed. His real concern was the mare might need a C-section and although he knew how to perform one, having Dr. Weber there was great.

"It's a good thing you called when you did, Kendall," Dr. Weber told her. "She's ready. Should be any minute now." He pulled on an arm-length kind of plastic glove and felt around inside the mare's body. "Everything is lined up just right so this looks like it'll be an easy one. Then again, you never really know until it's over." He looked up at Kendall and said, "Okay, easy for us anyway."

The mare neighed and within seconds, the foal's body was being pushed out shrouded in a thick gel-like coating. Dr. Weber grabbed its feet and began to pull as the mare pushed to expel her offspring. Seconds later, the little filly lay on the floor taking its first breaths flailing its skinny little legs every which way. Just moments later, she struggled to her feet, a mess of bones and wet fur, and began walking around on her still-wobbly legs. The little filly fell down once but bounced right back up and began nuzzling her mother's neck. The two females did a kind of dance for a while as the filly searched for a source of milk while the mother sought to shed the afterbirth. Within half an hour, the mother was ready to nurse and the hungry little foal latched on for her first meal.

"I think they're both gonna be just fine, Kendall," Dr. Weber told her. "We can stay with them for a while if you'd like, but I don't think that's necessary."

"Well, you're both more than welcome to come in and have something to eat or at least a glass of iced tea," Kendall told them.

"Well, that would not only be very nice," Dr. Weber said, "it'll give these two a little time alone before and let us come back out and check on them. Zack? You up for some iced tea?"

As soon as they opened the door, Kendall's Labrador Retriever, Buckshot, began wagging his tail and sniffing new crotches. "Hey, buddy! How've you been?" Zack asked as he bent down to pet him.

"He's been doing pretty well for being ten years old. He still eats more like a horse than a dog, but he gets plenty of exercise running around with us all day," Kendall told him. She turned toward her brother and asked, "Barrett? Would get you some glasses down while I get the tea, please?"

"Sure thing," he told her. Kendall poured them each a glass over crushed ice and thanked both of the vets for coming out on such short notice.