Herbs and Alchemy Ch. 04

Story Info
Magical Partnership.
6.6k words
4.86
5.9k
13

Part 4 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 05/15/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Greetings. Some of you might be curious about the herb stuff in here, it's all true except for goldroot, I made that up. Knitbone = Comfrey. Though plantain refers to a leafy common plant, not a fruit. Please rate and comment if you find the story sufficiently entertaining.

_______________________________________________

Jayla was being chased by huge herd of cattle, they were stampeding at her, angry, jealous, she fell and came face to face with a huge bear, it charged her and all she could see was teeth... Jayla woke with a start, seeing fangs and tusks, she gasped and put her hands in front of her face defensively. Tharo covered his mouth and sat up.

Everything swung into place. "I was dreaming! Sorry!" Jayla went to reach for him and stopped. With his hand over his mouth he was the cutest thing she'd ever seen. Pleading yellow eyes, a little button nose... She tapped her finger on it on smiled.

The moment fled, "SHIT! What time is it? I have class!" She jumped out of bed, staggering, her body felt like she'd borrowed it.

"Jayla!" Tharo's voice was commanding. "Stop. Hold still. Now center yourself. Take a minute to feel the stone on your feet. You have time. Be still. Breathe. Hold." He was up and behind her, his hands gripped her shoulders. "Breathe in." He did as well, his chest pushing against her back. "Now out." He slid his hands down her arms, touching her fingertips as she exhaled. "Good. Again. In." His hands slid up her arms as she did, his breathing matched hers. They breathed together for a few minutes until she relaxed into it, it felt wonderful, his chest on her back. He pulled her shoulders toward him and rested his face on the top of her head. "It will be OK. You will be on time." She felt him kiss her head. "I'll see you there in a while."

She moved in strong, powerful strides, exuding confidence. Once she was dressed she stopped back at Tharo, stroked her fingers under his jaw and kissed him. "Thank you."

He stroked her cheek with his knuckles. "I am happy. Thank You."

She put on her cloak and rushed through town as discreetly as possible.

Two students were waiting outside the door when she got there. She unlocked it.

"I went out for breakfast." She lied.

She set up equipment and brought out knives. The other students trickled in. She removed her cloak, draped it on the table and leaned against it, facing the class. "All right, today we're harvesting knitbone and making salve. There should be enough knives for everyone, I don't have beeswax yet, we'll have to use suet. Maura, Lan, please get the fire going in the new fireplace. Grab some embers from the other one with the pliers, there's straw out the back door, hang the kettle. The rest of you," She pulled several plants from the shelves "What's this?"... And it's used for...?"

By the time she'd gone through grilling them about everything on the shelves, the fire was going and she pulled a wrapped, salted chunk of beef fat from the corner, she unwrapped it and dropped it in the kettle, which was half-full of water. She had a strong urge to stick her hand in it. "Huh." She did, it wasn't hot yet. She felt a vibration start in her hand, she pulled it out and her hand seemed to be glowing a little, the vibration slowly faded.

"Miss?" One of the students asked.

"Yes, let's go." She shook her hand out. Jayla found she had to stop and wait for the class to catch up on the mile to the herb patch. OK, slow down, you're walking too fast. She had way too much energy. Breathe in... She caught herself picking any edible plants she saw and eating them along the way.

She reviewed plant species she saw with the students, what it was, what it was for, what parts you used, poultice, tea or tincture. When they came to the knitbone she showed them how to cut and harvest the long, fuzzy leaves so it would grow back. "Any questions?"

One girl said nervously, "Are you OK?"

Jayla started and checked herself over, making sure she wasn't bleeding anywhere, or glowing; ran her hand over her face, hair, realized she had a handful of miner's lettuce she'd been eating. She took a deep breath, "Honestly, I don't know. I feel really good. Why, am I bleeding or something?" The girl shook her head. "All right, let's get this and finish the salve." She held out her hand full of the plant, "You want some? It's good." A few of the students approached and took a piece.

She overheard one of the students say to another "Something is definitely off with her, she didn't say 'Mind your business.'"

"I like it, though I think this is now the most exhausting class."

"More than swordsmanship?"

"That's not all day."

She crept up behind them, "Mind your business!" She snapped loudly.

They jumped, she laughed.

Once they had what they needed on the walk back she started crafting a poem:

"Knitbone is a poultice, leaves soothe a warrior's aches..."

A boy piped in "If you're whole and healthy, take it with you to the drakes!"

Jayla let loose with a hearty, almost orcish, laugh. Not a sound she'd ever made before. "To help you sleep there's chamomile, also good for cramps..."

"If you have a sniffle, mix it with some ramps!" A girl piped up.

"EXCELLENT!" She raised her fist full of knitbone. "Plantain to clean a cut, help soothe a sting or burn..."

Silence for a bit, then "Making stupid poems helps the doctors learn."

"We have a bard in the class!"

"More like barred, he's only here because he got kicked out of maths." Someone murmured.

The crowd of laughing students got back to the apothecary to find the back door open, Jayla stopped and waved the class to stay back, she peeked into the room, the front door was open as well. All the clay drinking cups were on her table, Corish and Gillard were across the room fussing over a small still. Puzzled, she gestured for them to follow her in.

The room darkened as Tharo entered the front doorway, carrying a bucket. He raised his head in greeting "Heard you guys coming, figured you'd be thirsty." He set the bucket on the table and started picking up individual cups, filling them from the bucket and handing them out.

"Too right! Thank you Mr. Stonehammer." One of the boys brushed past Jayla and grabbed the first cup from him.

Four were still too frightened of the orc to approach, one of the other students took cups from him and handed them out. Jayla waited until everyone had one, he held the last cup and looked at her meaningfully. "Go slow." He whispered before handing it to her.

Jayla took a sip, something seemed to flare inside her when she swallowed it, it felt like green cedar leaves crackling in a fire. Another, it spread, along with a warmth that had her sweating, by the bottom of the cup she felt a little more normal, if hot. "Thank you Mr. Stonehammer." She handed her cup back. He refilled it and downed the whole thing himself in one go, eyes shining at her as he did. He put the bucket on the floor so they could all reach it.

"You're welcome Miss Thorntrail." He gave a short bow and went back to the two masters.

She overheard him, "No! You fools, this isn't even tight! That rune is out of line, redraw the border. Who's supposed to be teaching here anyway?" Jayla covered her mouth, some of her students giggled.

Everyone busied themselves preparing the salve, the rhyming game had taken on a life of its own,

"Mortar and pestle, knitbone we crush, add suet and beeswax to make a fine slush."

"Mortar and pestle, sweat on my shirt..."

"The place smells like sulphur and my wrists really hurt."

Jayla took the bucket back outside to refill it from the well. It seemed much easier to carry than it had the day before. Approaching the door she heard

"How do you tame a vicious thorn trail? You use a stone hammer and a tankard of ale!"

Snickers, then "Shhhh!"

She heard Tharo snort from the other side of the room, his voice rumbled out

"There's a fine line between students, foolish and brave. But all know to listen when the Orc says to BEHAVE!"

The last word you could hear well outside the building.

Most of the class smiled or laughed, but one of the girls startled and knocked over her pestle. Jayla came in, set the bucket down and righted the pestle, scooping the herb back into it. "Neela, Do you need a moment?"

The girl nodded. Jayla opened the back door and the two of them went out into the garden. She crouched down next to a stump, gesturing to it "Sit. You have a history with orcs?"

Jayla had to lean close to hear her "My family lived in graytown. They came in and..." She sniffed and swallowed.

The teacher put her hand on the girl's knee, bidding some of her energy pass into her. The girl's eyes widened. "Many people here have had family killed by men that look like Corish and Gillard. I promise, Mr. Stonehammer is big and loud, like a cow. But unlike a cow, I PROMISE he won't hurt you."

Tharo stood behind the girl at the door, Jayla gestured for him to cover his mouth and crouch down next to her, facing Neela. Tharo kept his tusks covered and sat cross legged in front of the girl, his eyes downcast. "I am sorry. I was not there." He said quietly through his hand.

"Touch him." Jayla offered. Neela recoiled. Tharo held his hand out, limp at the wrist like one would for a dog to sniff. Neela brushed it gently with her fingertips.

"He feels like a person." She whispered.

"He is a good man. You are safe with him." Jayla stood and shooed Tharo off. Neela watched him leave a little longingly.

The teacher picked some nearby lavender, offering the girl the fresh new end of the plant and ate some herself. "We good?"

Neela nodded.

"All right, back to work. Phobias don't make salve."

By the time the students left, Jayla's energy had dissipated and she was ready to fall over. She cautiously helped herself to another cup of water. Still the crackly feeling, but not as strong as before. She felt revived.

"Harp?" Asked Tharo.

"Harp." She replied and followed him out. He stuck out his arm and she took it, his hand covering hers and they walked together, strides matching perfectly.

"You're going to be OK. But you won't be the same. Neither will I."

"I'm liking this. Today was a good day. I'm nervous though."

"Scared, more like." He meant him. She nodded in agreement.

"I want to learn orcish." She said.

"That's not optional. You'll need to. You're a magic user now."

"Don't be silly. It's just..." Tharo stepped away from her, had his water lamp out, backed up and tossed it to her, deliberately out of her reach. She instinctively reached for it, it changed direction mid-flight, landed squarely in her hands and lit up, she felt its power merge with hers, her wrists tingled. She almost dropped it again.

He stood over her. "What were you saying?"

"But I didn't say the magic words!" She wailed.

"No, but I did." He studied her, she gently put the lamp on the ground, it went out. She picked it up again and it came on.

Jayla looked around, saw a watchman on the corner, making a point of not looking at them. "Could you come here please? No trouble, I need a favor." The watchman approached. "Please hold this for a moment." He took it, it went out. "Thank you. That's all, experiment." Jayla took it back and it lit up again.

"As you like, Miss Thorntrail." The watchman nodded and went back to the corner.

"So can I make it go out?" She asked

"Of course, cut the link." Tharo said. Jayla imagined the energy flow to and from it blocked. It went out. Reconnected, on.

"Now I do it." The orc said two words. It went out in her hands. She handed it back to him.

"Believe me yet?" He was terribly amused by it all. She felt faint.

"Almost." She took his arm again. That it had landed in her hands seemed more miraculous than its lighting up.

Once they were seated across from each other at the Harp and had their respective ales, Jayla found it was almost torture being this close and not being able to touch him. As if knowing, his foot slid under the table and nestled against hers.

Jayla took a long, bold swig. Ironically the ale didn't have the same jarring effect on her that water did.

"You have questions." Tharo stated.

"You first." Jayla's thoughts were like a basket of trapped squirrels, and looking into those intense, inquisitive eyes didn't help.

"Why did you get into herbalism?"

"My father died of a gr... sour cut my fifth summer. If I'd known even the most basic remedies he'd still be here. He was a good man. You would have liked him."

"Where's your Mother?"

"Married some trader when I went off to school. Last I heard they were traveling up North."

"Thorntrail is a wanderer name. Was your father one?"

"No, HIS father was. My father was a woodsman and a cooper."

"What did you and your mother do for so many years?"

"Helped at the war camps. Cooked. Later copied books for the school."

"War camps. Did you ever learn how to fight?"

"A little."

"You need to learn how to fight." Tharo looked grim. He took a drink of his ale.

"Not better medicine?"

He grinned and leaned forward, tapping his forehead. "What are you forgetting you have right now?"

She shook hear head.

He stood and lifted his shirt. Where the day before there had been an old cobweb burn scar the size of her foot was now just a lighter patch of skin half that size. "What are you forgetting you have right now, Jayla?" He sat down and put his leg on the table, rolling it to show her his calf. There was a thin white scar where she knew before there had been an inch-deep valley of scar tissue.

"Feet off the table!" The bartender snapped.

"Mind your business." The orc growled back. "And bring me a water. Please." He rolled his eyes.

"Yes Jayla, you need to learn better medicine." A cup of water was placed on the table. He pushed it toward her, "Don't drink that." He pulled out his eating knife and sliced open the meat of his palm. She gaped. "Stick your fingers in the water. Hurry now, we don't want to make a mess." He grabbed her other hand and put it over the cut, speaking in orcish. "Close your eyes, feel it, like last night."

She was grateful for something to focus on, she'd been on the verge of panic. She saw his hand behind her eyes, swathed with orange light. She saw the cut, a darkness marring his aura. She imagined skin knitting together, muscle stretching across the gap, She hung on until it glowed with the rest. She could still sense a line there and concentrated on it for all she was worth.

"Good. Stop." A tapping on her hand. "Stop!" He yanked his hand back. She opened her eyes to see his hand glowing. He hurriedly put it under his armpit, glancing around. He leaned forward and said quietly, removing her fingers from the cup. "Once the black is gone, you're done. NOW drink the water."

She downed it, the crackling sensation was back with a vengeance. She gasped, almost doubling over.

"Easy now." He gestured toward her ale. She grasped the tankard and took a long pull.

"Mister Stonehammer, is this woman bothering you?" A loud voice came from one side. Tara grabbed a chair from a nearby table, turned it around and straddled it, resting her arms along its back. She held up her hand and snapped her fingers.

"Captain." The orc nodded.

"Sergeant." Tara replied.

"Retired, thank you. Assistant Alchemist." He corrected.

"Yeah, I came here to talk about that..." Tara's expression darkened.

Tharo interrupted her, "As to your question, this woman is bothering me a great deal. She is an excellent healer and will be needed near the front but is quarreling with me about learning basic self defense." Jayla wrinkled her nose indignantly.

Tara gave Jayla an admonishing look. "Aaaanyway, I was looking for you. First place I checked, too. Here you are, holding hands, playing footsie and thick as thieves. Looks like you took my advice." Tara said to Jayla, making a hook with her finger and widening her eyes. Jayla blushed and gave a tiny nod.

"And what advice was that?" Tharo asked, arching a massive brow.

"That you should be a couple." Tara said smugly.

Tharo gave the Captain a warning glance. "We're friends. ZahnLug. I think in your culture it's 'Um friends'. Assuming we're exclusive could cause a lot of trouble."

"UmFriends?" Tara threw back her head and laughed.

An ale was placed in front of the Captain. She drank half in one go, wiping her mouth and lowering her voice. "Seriously, Jayla was right about 'trouble on other sides'. The Westerners are readying an army. Food was scarce last harvest and taxes were high. The Lord was killed and the new guy thinks this land is his for the taking. We can expect raids and possibly worse."

"You don't want me on the front lines." Tharo growled.

"I'm seeing that's not where you're going to be the most useful. Show me your hand, Stonehammer." The orc sighed and pulled it from his armpit. The glow had dissipated. Tara took it, looking at the palm. She traced her finger where he'd cut himself. "Lemme see your scar."

Tharo pivoted in his chair and held up his shirt. Tara's eyebrows shot up.

"Calf." Tara beckoned. The orc put his leg on her lap, pulling up his trousers. Tara ran her thumb along the scar. She released him and sat back. "I was there when they brought you in. I saw you two weeks later."

Tharo sighed, "I'll need as much water as I can get, a lake is ideal, and her." He pointed a massive finger at Jayla.

"Ideally we'd split you up."

"No you wouldn't. I'm barely effective without her. We can't bring people back from the dead, but damn close. Alone I might be able to do a broken leg. Right now alone she'll put some gunk on it, maybe stitch it and keep it from going sour. She's got fifteen students who can do THAT."

"I'm only teaching herbalism. Setting bones and stitching isn't my department." Jayla had a knot in her stomach thinking of her kids in a skirmish.

Tara tapped the table, "Your class isn't the only one they're taking. The next week I need you to get as much front line herb knowledge in them as you can. Stonehammer, I heard you were working on a potion."

"The ingredients are rare and it hasn't been tested." Tharo's scowl had Jayla hoping he never gave her that look.

"Looks like y'all are going to be busy. Jayla, I want you at the arena for practice for at least an hour on days you don't have class. And don't try to weasel out of it, I have informants. If you get any trouble from Schoolmaster Cooper, send him to me. Or vice-versa." Tara raised her hand and snapped her fingers again, putting her palm toward the ceiling. "Dinner's on me. Take care you two." She swung off the chair, putting it back at the other table, "Oh!" She leaned down, "Since you're apparently the rear guard super team now, anyone interfering or causing problems in your relationship can be considered a traitor to the crown. Feel free to shack up."

Tara left.

The herbalist put her head down on the table. She felt Tharo petting her hair. "Drink your ale." He said.

Dinner arrived with two more tankards. Anyone watching would have seen them eating at the same pace, the herbalist taking smaller bites.

"So we didn't get to your questions." Tharo said, wiping his mouth, his plate spotless.

Jayla shook her head, still shoveling food like someone was going to take it away. "If I take in any more today I'll get a nosebleed. Didn't know that rogue was running this town, though."

"She's YOUR friend. She also the ranking officer in town, so if there's conflict she DOES run this town.

"I have a question. What's this?" Tharo made a hook with his finger.

Jayla blushed furiously and covered her face with her hands. "Mind your business." He waited. She peeked back up at him.

12