Herbs and Alchemy Ch. 07

Story Info
In Tents: Border Camp.
4.9k words
4.89
3.9k
5

Part 7 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 05/15/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Devalkyrie
Devalkyrie
80 Followers

Thanks again for the likes, ratings and comments. Next chapter is pulling on me pretty hard, so barring RL disasters, should be soon. Things are going to get a bit less fluffy, looking forward to seeing what these two are made of.


The next day wagons were packed, supplies distributed, and before noon a quarter of the town was on the West road headed for three different camps. Jayla could have ridden in the wagon, but chose to stay on foot and walk with her students and the others while leading the big chestnut mare and wagon. She hadn't seen Tharo since early that morning and figured he was marching with the mercenary orcs. About three miles out they passed the blacksmith's place, and she was shadowed by the draft horse on one side and her orc on the other. MY orc. She thought, giving a wry smile. As far as being a healer team was concerned, anyway. She needed him to heal but it was evident most of the power they used went through her. She felt a slight sense of relief and a simultaneous ache hit her on seeing him.

"What are you smiling about, Oag?" One yellow eye gazing down at her.

"Jaig Okak, Laiga Aki." You are mine, little one. Jayla said, grinning.

Tharo nodded, the corner of his motuh twitched in amusement, "Luthia Rigi Oak." The Goddess has told me this. He handed her a large metal ring.

Jayla almost stumbled. It was meant to spiral around her upper arm, it was silver, at least in color, with a strip of black in the middle, gold writing on that, merged with silver that ran to the end of the ring. The bottom of it tapered and was segmented. "I'm getting better at understanding and speaking Orcish, but I can't read it yet. What does it say?"

Tharo glanced around to see who was listening, the closest people were far enough away they could talk without being overheard. They hadn't reached the orc camp yet. "It has your name in orcish and common, it says you wield Luthia's power and are her greatest healer when paired with me, it just has my actual name. Then it says you are a medic and herbalist on the silver part. The segments on the bottom... I hope we won't need them, but if we get too many in at once, break a piece off the bottom end and put it under the tongue of an injured person, it should keep them from deteriorating and help stabilize them for a couple of hours."

"So do you have one?"

He rolled up his sleeve and flashed his, larger but more or less matching, instead of silver, it was gold all the way down.

"What does yours say?"

Tharo looked a little embarrassed. "It says my name and I belong to Luthia in the form of Jayla Thorntrail. The Battleaxe. I am a healing tool only in her hands. Then it says I am an alchemist in training."

"No mention of you being a retired sergeant?"

"I was only a sergeant to humans, I am not qualified to lead orcs, not just because I was banished."

"Why the black? Everyone else had gold or silver?"

"The black indicates the gods; Shamans and holy people wear the black. Gold is for magic users and officers, silver for medics, cooks, sex workers, iron for soldiers.

"What about slaves?"

"Slaves and prisoners have collars, not arm bands. Put that on your left arm, but cover it. If you get any trouble, lift your sleeve and show them the silver part but not the black unless you have to." Tharo stroked her hand, "I have to go, I'm not sure how Weston wants to work this, so for now I'll be a low-rank mercenary until we get to the main camp. I'll see you there." He strode off up the line.

Jayla was left alone with her thoughts, leading the horse and wagon for another two miles when they got to the orc camp. It looked mostly deserted, a few stragglers were packing remaining supplies and banking fires. They were big, one she could tell was a child, but was almost Tharo's height. A question that had been bouncing around in the back of her mind was answered upon seeing the others, even a couple of big males: She did not find them attractive. Kurdoz, well, maybe, but she felt silly and relieved that she probably didn't have an orc fetish, with one exception that made up for it.

Jayla saw Neela frozen out of line, staring at the two big male orcs waiting for the stragglers. They stared back, she waved timidly, one nodded. She bolted back to her group. The girl was genuinely trying to overcome her fear.

Once away from civilization, Jayla asked someone else to lead the horse and wagon while she collected herbs along the roadside, striding to catch up, stopping to dig, doing the same again... She didn't even really need most of what she was finding, but it helped keep her mind from chattering away too much about what lay ahead. She found some wild strawberries and discreetly shared a few with her students.

The sun set when they were about three miles from the main camp, so it was decided they keep going. Even arriving in the dark, the main camp was huge, fires as far as the eye could see, reflecting off a large river that marked the border.

Jayla unhitched the horse, asked for a bucket of water for the animal, and tied her out to graze. She checked her students all had places to sleep, covered the wagon, found a blanket and lay down next to it, the horse munching noisily away on the grass.

She had just drifted off when a noise nearby woke her. She had her sword in her hand and quietly worked the blanket out from around her. "Identify yourself." She said flatly.

"The reason you're here." A pair of boots at eye level in the dim light. He crouched down next to her. "But not the reason you're Here. You don't have to sleep way out here."

"I couldn't see and I wanted to keep an eye on the wagon."

Knuckles brushed her face. "You haven't eaten or drank anything since noon."

"I had strawberries. Since when were you my Mom?"

A flask was pushed in front of her. "Drink, Oag." She did. Almost all of it. He sat down next to her, leaning against the wagon wheel. She sheathed her sword, scooted around and lay her head on his thigh, pulling the blanket up over her and handed him the flask back.

Hours later he pulled her against him and covered himself with the blanket as well.

"Where's all your stuff?" She asked, happily squirming up against him, relaxing as his body heat warmed her.

He waved dismissively, "Over there somewhere. I'll find it in the morning." He took her pack to use as a pillow, she used his arm as hers.

________________________

"Hey! You need to be at the merc camp, damn drunken orc!"

Tharo raised his head, opening one baleful yellow eye at the human soldier, "I'll forgive you for not knowing who I am." His arm tightened around Jayla, who was hidden under the blanket.

"Mercenaries answer to us, greenskin, get out of here."

"No. Leave and mind your business. It's not even dawn yet, you should be at the river."

The soldier drew her sword.

"Mistake. What are the rules about interfering with medics?" His grip on Jayla relaxed. The herbalist shot out form under the blanket like a drenched cat, shaking, sword in hand.

The soldier stepped back, "A HUMAN! You had a human hostage!"

Jayla got between the soldier and Tharo, ready to defend him with all she had. " I am Instructor Jayla Thorntrail and this is Alchemist and retired Sargeant, Tharo Stonehammer. Go straight to Captain Weston or Corporal Enso if you don't believe me. Speak to anyone else and you risk banishment. Now mind your business." Jayla realized she'd been a little louder than intended in the predawn light and was drawing attention.

"Orc mercenaries aren't allowed human-"

"I am allowed an orc. He is MINE." Jayla was all teeth, the soldier finally started to look nervous.

Tharo was still laying on the ground, he propped up his chin with one hand and suppressed a grin, "If that's not enough, and it damn well should be, I rank you. Sheathe your sword and do as she says."

Another soldier had come to see what the noise was about, "Gods Dinala, you're going to get demoted! Weren't you at the briefing?!" He bowed his head toward Jayla and Tharo, "Apologies."

Dinala huffed, sheathed her sword and glared before striding back the way she'd come, the other man on her heels.

Jayla turned back to her friend, who was reluctantly getting up. She smiled mischievously, "So, we are allowed pet orcs? I was just making that up."

Tharo chuckled, "Prisoners, maybe. We're not SUPPOSED to be engaging in intimate relations during wartime, it splits loyalties. The reality is, obviously, pretty much the opposite."

"Well, we got a couple hours sleep anyway." Jayla retrieved the horse and started hitching her back to the wagon, "Do you know where they want the wagon?"

Tharo stopped her, wrapping his hand around her forearm. "By the med tent, it's just down the hill. Don't bother." He pushed the horse out of the way, took the wagon shafts and started pulling it himself.

Jayla led the horse. "This is a bit embarrassing." She said, walking beside and leading the mare. The hill down to the river was dotted with tents and smoldering fire pits. A few soldiers and others were up, but for the most part it was quiet.

"In the time it takes to hitch that thing up, we could go there and back twice." He grunted.

They got to the med tent, which was huge. Jayla peeked in, several people slept on the ground, stuffed mattresses lay around, and there were one or two beds made from posts and logs that were unoccupied.

She stepped back outside, almost running into her partner. "There's no water."

"Oh, that's not where we'll be working." Tharo whistled quietly, getting the attention of one of the patrol. "Take this horse to the cavalry." Jayla handed the mare's lead over, giving her a friendly pat. "I didn't even get her name." She whispered.

"Ceera, I think." She's a plowhorse, but was trained as a destrier a few years ago. I remember her from Slackwater." Tharo scratched the mare behind the ear before the guard led her away.

Jayla's heart warmed that he knew that. She followed Tharo to another tent, a third the size and dark green, the med tents were white. It seemed set up a little awkwardly against a steep hill. Tharo moved the flap and gestured her in.

The interior was almost pitch black, jayla could hear water running. He rummaged around in his pack and pulled out a water lamp. He spoke the words to activate it and the place lit with a blue glow.

A pool had been dug in the ground, a platform stuck out over it, the back side weighted down by boulders. The tent's back wall was lifted to allow a rock wall with a little spring to feed the pool, and a channel dug to the river, covered by wood planks. Two straw mattresses lay along one wall.

"Well! Being the tool of a Goddess has its privileges."

"I told them I wanted a damn table in here." Tharo groused, tying the lamp to the ceiling. Shadows danced as it swung.

"Wait! You- You're not touching it!"

The orc smiled "I don't touch the ones in my house, either."

"How?"

"Blood on the inside of the corks."

"Yours, I assume."

"Yes, mine." He glared.

"Can I make one?"

"You'd have to learn a little alchemy. The hardest part is training your brain to believe in what you're doing. I -or someone- would need to teach you what makes water glow." He reached into a corner where a large sack lay and rummaged around, then pulled out a book as thick as his forearm. "Here you go. Just the first half. Then I can show you."

Jayla swallowed, daunted.

"Hey, this one isn't even in Orcish."

"All right, fine." She took the book and opened it.

"Later." He took it from her and tossed it back onto the sack. "We have about a candle's width of private time. Could be our last for awhile." He tied the tent flap closed. "Now, I need you to be quiet. I want you to remember this, no matter how hard the next month gets. No matter what you see." He approached her and took her hand, the other cupping her face, his thumb tracing her bottom lip. "Remember this. Remember that there is love in the world, remember that there is purpose, and light, and beauty and peace." His voice was hoarse, "There is a cycle we have been brought here to push forward, toward a better world." His eyes closed and he kissed her tenderly.

She ran her hands up his chest and behind his neck, stroking his back, feeling the warmth from his body.

Tharo's fingers tangled in her hair; he whispered words she didn't recognize, the light dimmed and his body lit up with magic, a dynamic, fuzzy feeling radiated off of him and seeped into her where they touched. The orc moaned, a noise of pleasure and discovery, he felt like warm sunlight and life. He put his hand over her heart, speaking quietly. Heat and a strange buzz came from his hand. "Remember." He whispered.

Jayla suppressed a shiver, still kissing him, taking in the magic he sent her, feeling it, testing it. "What are you doing to me Tharo?" She asked against his lips.

"Connecting you with my strength." His hands roved to her back, warming the muscles there, loosely caging her body.

She focused on the magic she was feeling, it felt like it was coating her veins, he heart ached. She directed it to circulate through her, then put her hand on his chest and let it flow out and back into him. She felt his heart give a great, resounding beat and speed up. She looked up at him, pressing her breasts against his chest.

His expression went from admiration to smoky desire. His hands moved to her breasts, thumbs teasing nipples through her tunic.

Jayla reached down and pulled the lacing on his trousers, still watching his face. She ran her hands to his waistline and slid his trousers down his thighs where gravity did the rest. She tugged his shirt and raised an eyebrow. He removed it, dropped it on the ground and stood, curious what she would do.

She admired him for a moment, let her hands explore his chest and sides, fingers circled his tiny nipples, she kissed each one and he moaned quietly. Her hands moved up to his ears, stroking the edges of each one, his eyes closed, jaw slack, he sighed. She stroked his tusks, hooking a finger around one and pulling his mouth down to her breasts.

She felt his lusty growl her to her core, he expertly removed her tunic and his mouth attended a breast while he slid the rest of her clothing off. He grasped her backside and pulled her against his now unignorable erection. It was all she could do not to climb him and impale herself. She made motions to do just that.

"Hold." He breathed. He picked her up and carried her to the bed by the wall. "Hands and knees." He whispered. She did, breath quickening with anticipation. He knelt, his hand found her valley, fingers exploring gently. He moaned at discovering just how ready she was and lined himself up. "Try to be quiet, this is going to be a little different. Relax."

Jayla's first thought was he was going to put that massive staff in her ass, and breathed a sigh of relief when she felt him pushing at her needy channel instead. He spoke again in Orcish and covered her mouth with his hand. His staff almost hummed with magic, she felt the strange cedar fire sensation of orcish magic on her most sensitive parts, she whimpered and instinctively tried to pitch forward away from him.

"Oh no, love." His hand pushed against her mouth, encouraging her back toward him, "You're ready for this. Feel it. Feel all of it." He slid into her steadily, all the magic he carried and a crackling orange aura three times his size with him, seeming to penetrate her entire body. Hilted, he stopped and leaned over her, his free hand covering hers, pushing his power into that was well.

She wanted to scream, it was completely overwhelming, like being caught in a downpour or underwater in rapids. She whined into his fingers, instinctively pushing back against him now, feeling his tip massage her depths, making her gasp, then pant, the hum of magic radiating out from all of it.

"This is all of me, sweet Jayla. Take all of me, and remember it is yours." She felt his chin brush the top of her head as he spoke, rocking into her in small thrusts, enough to make pleasure blaze through her in jolts, her body already trying to pull more out of him.

Tharo moaned with pleasure, teeth grinding with effort to control himself, keeping his movements minimal, "When you are too tired, when you don't think you have enough strength, when there are many long hours left in the day and you feel like you will fall over, remember this. Remember this is yours as well, It is here for you when you need it, Love." He licked her shoulder, pulled out, slid back in methodically, again, she whined against his hand. His torso covered her back and he began a steadily increasing rhythm, she met him, energy washing over them in great waves, her sheath clutching at him.

His hand over her mouth reminded her to stay quiet, her breath came in silent screams each time he filled her. The blazing morning sun was a candle compared to the maelstrom of orange and red magic that raged in her senses, her psyche lost in his magic and her convulsing body.

When she didn't think she could take any more, his grip on her hand tightened, his breath rushed through his teeth, the power spiked and the liquid fire of his seed poured into her. He sighed like a beast in pain as his cock pulsed inside her.

She heard him whimper quietly, the magic ebbed and he stilled as his corona opened, trapping them together. She could only shudder and try to keep her hands beneath her as every nerve in her was alight with his energy.

Tharo moved his hand from her mouth to her chest, holding her tight against him. "Okak, Lok Cor Luthia. Oak Jeg," He whispered, his grip loosened and his staff returned to normal. "Now we save these people and this land." He gathered her into his lap and pulled a blanket over them. Jayla felt numb and in shock. She relaxed and felt everything slip away.

It took Jayla an hour for her wits to return, but she felt strong and sharp. She gently extricated herself from Tharo's embrace, washed herself and straightened up. He still slept. She tucked a blanket over him and left to talk to the medics in the other tent.

She cautiously entered the med tent, feeling embarrassed at her ignorance as she asked "Who's in charge here?"

"That would be me, Miss Thorntrail." A gaunt older man approached. She recognized him from town but didn't remember his name.

"I need a few minutes, it's extremely important." She felt nervous, hoping he'd believe her and having no plan on how she was going to tell him what she needed to.

He arched an eyebrow, "This way." He went out the back of the tent and behind a wagon. They weren't out of sight, but out of earshot if she was quiet. "Thank you, Doctor. So... I have the utmost respect for the work you're all doing here, and I hope we won't be too busy. You need to know ... Well, you know the tent set up over the spring..."

The doctor was silent and still, gazing down on her like a disinterested raptor.

"Weston wants to keep this under wraps, so decide who needs to know. Have you heard of the orc healer teams?"

"Are you talking about the myth told to children during diplomatic missions?"

"You've seen magic, right, you know it exists?"

His expression shifted to one of mild exasperation "Yes, Miss Thorntrail."

"Tharo Stonehammer and I are a healer team. If you get someone you can't save, send them to that tent. If you get someone who won't heal completely, sent them to that tent. Corporal Enso and Captain Weston can verify I'm not crazy. Er... well, they can verify I'm telling the truth."

"I suppose you can bring people back from the dead and regrow limbs?" Jayla couldn't tell if he was mocking or not.

Devalkyrie
Devalkyrie
80 Followers
12