He's Nothing but a Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It was Ronald that explained that our parents and he had agreed to it because our mother and he were getting married," Amanda explained. "Mother was the one that disclosed to us later that night that we had to give Ronald and her a chance because he was our biological father. Gradually we were led to believe that when dad found out about Ronald's true relationship with us. He decided that he had no choice but to write us out of his life's."

"Amanda, I believe you because I already have heard about fifty percent about what you told me from the family for the last few days. The only thing we knew for sure was that the school district had given Adelia printed out copies of your school records so you could register at your new school when you found a place to live. Now that Adelina has been found the truth is coming out. Just so you know I have recorded our conversation. As soon as I have forwarded it to the FBI and your father we will go for an early supper at Ruby Tuesdays." Helen said. "While I am doing that look at these copies of statements made with a notary. Ponder over this though if she lied to you about your father John Masters could she be lying about Ronald Peterson to?"

Helen went into the other room and watched Amanda for a few minutes before forwarding their conversation. Amanda was learning just how much her mother's family had conspired with their mother against John. She had sent the conversation to John first. His civil lawyer second because Amanda honest statement was so damaging. Then she had sent it to the FBI. During the whole time she was watching Amanda, Amanda made no attempt to contact anyone. Just before she was about to go back John texted her. I will be there waiting for your arrival. Thank you.

She texted back I have left her alone for about half an hour to allow her to read some of the statements we have gotten from the family. She has not tried to contact anyone. With that done she rejoined Amanda.

"Helen do you have any idea why my mother told the family my father had been sexually abusing us for years," Amanda asked?

"None of the family had ever really approved of your father. Your mother knew. I think she used it to explain her need to disappear and move far away overnight. Adelia also knew that your father would go looking for you and did. He even tried to sue Bank of America to get them to release the whereabouts of your mother and won but then he lost in the appeals court." Helen explained.

"We did not know of your mother's marriage or your name change until a couple of weeks ago when your picture was published in the paper. When your dad served them that day your mother made contact with the family in a failed attempt to get her mounting problems to go away." Helen explained. "For five years plus your dad has been a hunted man because of the actions of your mother. I thought we were going to lose him twice"

"How is my Dad really?" Amanda asked seriously.

"He keeps to himself and has lost a lot of weight. The stress he's been under for so long has turned most of his hair completely white. His facebook page got filled with hate and threats so much that he had to close his account. It forced him to remove his name off the facebook corporate page too because they went after him on it. They were trying to destroy his business and his life.

He's learned not to believe in anyone anymore so trusts very few. He used to be so outgoing. Now he is quiet and reserved. He has no choice he's free but he's not because there are those who still would like to take their kind of justice out on him." Helen explained, "he goes out of town to do any personal shopping for his house. It is getting better gradually for him. Even his side of the family has deserted him. Divorce is normally hard but what he was hit with was much worse. People down here still believe that he had gotten away with the murder of you three."

"Does dad have a girlfriend?" Amanda asked.

"With the reputation your mother gave him. Would you date him?" Helen asked. "For over five years he has had to defend himself against a lie where he could not prove the truth."

Amanda said nothing for a few then said, "Every time he tried to defend himself, he made it worse because their minds were already made up. He was forced to walk alone. It was made worse with our sudden disappearance because it gave instant credibility to my mother's claims."

"Adelia and Ronald planned it well. The only one who really had to pay the price was your father. It got so bad for him that I was afraid he would kill himself." Helen said as the tears started to flow. "Let's go eat."

That was when Amanda realized the price that Holy had paid. She had stood beside her father throughout the last five years. How much had she lost to do that? As they headed towards Helen car Amanda stopped. "Thank you, Helen,"

"For what?" Helen said.

"For having the guts these last five years to stand by and love my dad," Amanda replied.

She could no longer hold in. the words Amanda said forced Helen to let go. As the tears flowed Amanda comforted her.

I was sitting in my car at Ruby Tuesdays watching for them to pull in. Trying to figure out what to say to my eldest who I had not seen in over five years. My emotions were running wild. I had replayed Helens and Amanda conversation three or four times. I believed what I heard but I didn't.

I saw them pull in. Get out and walk towards the front door. My hands were shaking so bad I could hardly lite the cigarette. I was a bundle of nerves. Amanda had grown and blossomed into a beautiful woman. I could see a lot of my own mother's face in her. It saddened me because they had disowned me shortly after my wife and daughters had disappeared. After finishing my smoke, I turned off my car and prepared for one of the shortest but longest walks in my life.

The waitress that had served me a couple of weeks back was the acting hostess.

She said right away, "Amanda's here I spoke to her. I set her and her friend towards the back. Are you here to meet?"

When I said yes, she said well she will have her back to us as we approach the booth, they are in. She led me back. Helen saw me right away and smiled. I walked up and then sat down right beside her grabbing Helen's hand for support. For the first time in over five years, I was looking directly into my daughters' bright blue eyes. Without saying a word, we both watched each other's tears start to flow

Sometimes you don't know what to say. This was one of those moments I had asked the hostess to bring us a large flask of their house wine. When it came the waitress said nothing after pouring us our first glass, she left us alone.

Amanda was in awe her father had changed so much. He had to have lost forty lbs. Even his face looked longer, thinner and older. His silvery-white hair may have added to it. Many a woman would have to pay major bucks to have that look at his age. She decided one of them had to do something, so she stood up.

I responded by doing the same. We met each other at the edge of the table in a big hug. She cried out loud dad I responded Ama my old nickname for her. Together we had broken the ice.

Once our emotions had calmed down, we order our food Amanda was surprised how differently I ate. I had always been a meat and potatoes type of guy, so my plate was always filled with starches. Now I ordered a catfish platter with the unlimited salad bar. I refilled my salad plate three times. When Helen was refilling hers, it gave Amanda a chance to speak to me privately

"Helen loves you Dad. Probably more than I do." Amanda said. "She grilled me like an old army Sargent before she decided I was being honest. She was not going to give me a chance to hurt you again. I have to say that I did. I was old enough to search out for myself, but I didn't. I don't think I will ever forgive myself for that."

"Amanda for five years I have not had a life to offer anyone. At any time during that time, if a body had of turned up being identified as one of you, I most likely have ended up in jail. Most around here believed that I had somehow murdered the three of you and got away with it." I said. "I knew, so three years ago I changed my will leaving everything to her. After the second time ending up in the hospital with knife wounds from being attacked, I was considering ending it. She's the one that brought me back from that edge."

Holy came back to see Amanda bawling. "What did you say to her that got this started again?"

"Nothing much just that three years ago while I was in the hospital having decided it was time to end my life, I had changed my will leaving everything to you. I told it was your love that brought me back from the edge."

I ended up with two females crying.

After lunch, we went and returned the car rental. The ladies then followed me back to my private home at Ryder lake. They loved my private home overlooking the lake. With four bedrooms upstairs. A great room, a living room a kitchen laundry room with open format and master on the main. With a covered breezeway from the garage to the house.

I offered to carry Amanda's luggage up the stairs, but she declined. I thought she felt she needed to give us some privacy time.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner how you felt," Helen said.

"I couldn't I was trapped by my past,' I replied. "I didn't know if a body was going to show up or not. Not knowing is far worse than knowing. Adelia and Ronald knew that and used it to their advantage. Now that I'm free from the box they put me I can offer you a future before I couldn't because I didn't have one."

Nora took my hand with a smile on her face, "I guess I will be putting my home up for sale because there's no way I will allow you to sell this."

I don't care how old you are you still feel a bit guilty when your daughter catches you kissing another woman. I know because that's what she did.

For the next hour, we sat around getting to catch up with what I had missed in my daughter's life. I learned she was working in the business world in a go-nowhere situation and working online towards her Master's in Business Administration. She wasn't dating seriously.

"Why don't you come and work for us," I said. "We can afford it and we do need a fresh set of eyes. You can start in a junior position and work your way up."

"After all we collectively have caused to have happened to you are you serious?" Amanda asked.

"Yes, we are Amanda," Helen responded with the biggest smile I had ever seen. "We can start you with an annual salary of forty-five thousand a year."

"Wow, I guess I will have to look for a place to live," Amanda said.

"Don't be in such a rush we have lots of room here?" I said. "But I will expect you to do chores just like before."

Amanda replied as the tears started flowing. "Dad why?"

"You are and always have been a big part of my life," I replied.

"I'll fly out tomorrow to pack if I can work out a flight. Depending on how long it takes I should be here sometime Wednesday in my car." Amanda said. "let's add both your phone numbers to my contact list."

We had just finished doing that when Amanda got a text message from Miranda. Amanda showed it to me.

Finally got my cellphone back. The FBI is holding me until they get the DNA report to prove that Ronald Peterson is or is not my biological father. I had a writing expert show me how they proved the adoption agreement was falsely created. Can't call but can receive and send a text because it's a secure center.

Amanda wrote back with our real dad now. Flying back to New York tomorrow to pack clothes I'm moving back home and joining his firm. His cellphone number is________

Miranda texted back bring mine too and my laptop. The lairs can have the rest of the stuff.

Amanda texted back to see if you can get a copy of the US Today newspaper for today you need to read the article about us in it. Explains a lot of things that I didn't know. Call me as soon as your able so I can tell you a lot of things that I have learned.

Helen saw me go outside to the patio and followed me.

"How are you feeling? She asked.

"Emotionally overwhelmed," I responded as I took her into my arms.

"How about I take Amanda with me and go back to my place so I can get some of my clothes." Helen said. "that will give you some time to deal with your emotional thoughts."

I sent to her cellphone the program for the electronic lock on the gate so she could open it and gave her the house keys to copy suggesting that we may need four of them. They were gone for about two hours. I spent most of the time crying. I figured the pains and hurt I had been carrying for such a long was coming out. I was right the way I was behaving it was like a dam had broken. When they returned I was smiling so were they.

I was on the patio firing up the grill getting ready to throw some thawed steaks on. I had already made a tossed salad and was baking some potatoes. I watched their chatter as they each carried a handful in. After four trips they had brought a lot of stuff. It was now laying on the master bed.

Over the very late dinner, I learned that Amanda was flying out at eight Sunday morning. Helen and I would be moving more of her stuff over tomorrow. It pleased me to see the girls overeat.

We were all drinking a coffee afterward when my cellphone went off. The only one outside of who was present with me that had this number was the FBI

I answered it by saying hello.

"Mr. Masters its Doug Drysdale. Just to update you the DNA tests confirms you are Miranda's father. We got it confirmed about two hours ago. We told her. She wants to come home. So, we have her landing in Cape at seven-thirty Monday morning."

"That's great Helen and I will be there to meet her," I responded.

"Perfect. We knew that Amanda had headed in your direction last night. Let her know that her sister did see a copy of that article online." Doug said. "You might like to know when we broke the news to Ronald Peterson he was devastated. It seems that Adelia had convinced him that Miranda was his. Doesn't make a difference he's still looking at a lot of time."

"A quick question when the dust settles what are my daughters' legal name?" I asked.

"Their legal name is Masters we got a court ruling on that Friday morning. A copy of the federal court ruling will allow you to get their identification changed. It will arrive at your office on Monday."

With that, he ended the call.

I couldn't help it the tears started flowing. I got chocked up. I couldn't speak. Both Helen and Amanda got concerned. Thankfully I quickly regained my composure.

"Miranda will be arriving at the airport at seven-thirty Monday morning. DNA tests confirm she's mine." I said. "When they revealed that fact to Ronald Peterson he was devastated. Adelia had him convinced she was his."

"I knew it," said Helen. "did my cousin Adelia ever tell anyone the truth?"

"Amanda, I got some bad news. You have to change your last name back to Masters because the federal court ruled your adoption invalid."

My daughter ran into my arms crying. "Peterson never felt right."

We saw Amanda off as she headed back to New York to bring back in her car what she wanted. Then we headed over to meet Helens two brothers and their wives In Jackson. They were going to help move what furniture she wanted out of her house. Since I only had two of the bedrooms furnished, we had lots of room to move her stuff into. The whole story was out in print in the Sunday edition of the Southeast Missourian newspaper.

We met them at Hickory House for breakfast. All of them noticed the glow of happiness on Helen's face. Her sister in laws bought out the point that in six months with Helen's cooking I would have some meat on my bones. The owner of the restaurant a longtime friend said congrats John this meal is on us.

We got it all done in one long day. I think Helen's sisters-in-law were envious of her new home. Helen and I offered to take them and their families out to dinner, but they all declined. But suggested they would all be in when we hosted our first housewarming party with all of our family is home.

We were there at the airport at seven fifth teen in the morning because somedays the connector flight arrived early. Helen had let those who needed to know that neither one of us would be in today. The response was we figured that when we read the Sunday paper.

I watched Miranda walk down the stairs off of the small plane heading in towards me wearing a pair of blue jeans and a tank top. I found it difficult to see how much she had changed. The last time I had seen her she was a teeny bobber in pigtails. Coming towards me was a stunning young lady. The moment she saw me she started running towards me. The sliding doors opened to allow her to run in. She cried out loudly as she literally jumped into my arms 'Daddy' For both of us our emotions let go.

We were all being captured by cameras. We didn't care. I heard Helen tell the kvos12 station reporter.

"That's John Masters and the youngest of two daughters that half the town thought he had killed. Turns out they been kidnapped over five years ago. The FBI is holding their mother and her lover in jail for it right now. This is the first time they have seen each other in over five years."

We had broken up and turned towards the reporter.

"I am Miranda Masters that's my father John Masters. Five years ago, with my mothers' families help we were kidnapped. They had spread rumors that our father had sexually abused us. That is not true. My mother's extended family may be into doing things like that. But my Dad did not and would not. Anyone planning to go after him in the future is going after my sister and me. We are family and we stand together. My mother told us when she was divorcing my father that he was just a man getting what he deserved. None of us deserved what she did. To me, he is not just my father but is also the most honest person I have ever known."

I introduced Miranda to Helen.

Miranda hugged her and said. "Amanda and I had a long talk yesterday about everything we had learned. It turned out our Mother had lied and misled Ronald just as much as she did our Dad. In her need to be the center of attention, she ended up almost destroying five lives. We know Dad and you are planning to get married. So as far as Amanda and I are concerned we want to forget the Helen part. Okay, Mom."

Helen teared up and said, "You could not have said it better Miranda I'll agree if you promise to be one of my bridesmaids."

"Let's go get some breakfast then will get you some clothing at Macy's," I suggested.

"Can we go to Denny's?" Miranda asked.

"If they were still open, yes but Huddle House is the closest thing to it for breakfast food" I replied. "If that's okay."

It was and I was surprised how much my youngest could eat. I thought the way she eats it might be cheaper to get her room and board somewhere. I was still finding it hard to believe I had a life again. My two daughters were back in my life in a way I would never have dreamed possible. I no longer slept in a house it was now home.

Well, we were shopping at Macy's I got deliberately lost and drifted away. There just something unmanly about watching woman discuss bra sizes panties and personal stuff. By the time they realized I was missing I was almost back. Helen asked where I slipped off to and I said the washroom. I had to sit and watch as Miranda tried things on. For some reason, she wanted my approval. Hell, as far as I was concerned, I thought she'd look good in anything. Three hundred dollars later we left carrying two bags.

When we got back to the house Helen took and showed her the now furnished four bedrooms upstairs. Helen was tickled pink when Miranda picked the room that had her master bedroom furniture in it. We were sitting out on the patio enjoying the space before the heat of the day got too hot. The ladies were having an Iced tea I was having a cold bud. I got up and walked over to Helen. Taking the ring box out of my pocket I got down on one knee. Catching her off guard.