Hinn Ch. 28-31

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We'll be heading back to our condo now for the night, gentlemen. There's one spare bedroom, and one spare bed that you'll have to work out sharing with Jessica's team. The rest rooms and kitchen are fair game, however, as is a reasonably spacious living room."

"We'll be escorting you back home, Ray. We'd like to have a small squad - that's six people - join you in the condo, if that's acceptable? We've plans for the rest of the team within rapid response range."

"They'll be welcome, as long as they don't mind bunking out in the living room."

"They'll need space to set up minimal gear, less than a cubic meter, plus room to sit or lie down."

"Shouldn't be a problem, Antoine."

Antoine smiled, "Wonderful. So. Shall we?"

The combined team started to exit the room and headed back to Ray's increasingly too-small condominium.

Chapter 29

The team met Jonathon at the parking lot as he pulled back in with the war wagon. Everyone who had arrived in it piled back in for the trip back to Ray's condo. Skepsi was loading into a small fleet of minivans they were using to either side of the armored SUV.

The distant escort followed them back to the condo. Partway back, the drones met failures of some sort. Ray pointed out the high-frequency radio waves broadcast by one of the minivans to Tauriz via Hinn. He wasn't able to explain how it worked but did remember television shows talking about people making devices to stop drones based on that sort of energy.

Jonathon let everyone out in front of the main door, and Ray waited at the security desk to introduce Skepsi's people to the building security. Antoine and Holger escorted a half-dozen men in thick armored vests with another half dozen heavy duffle bags on a low wheeled cart in the doors. Antoine seemed a little surprised that Ray had held the door for them, and Holger thanked Ray for paying attention to the details.

"Only trying to keep up my end of the agreements and make things as smooth as possible for all involved," Ray said.

"Not a common attitude amongst those we have dealt with in the past," noted Antoine, with Holger nodding in agreement.

"Well, good to surprise you pleasantly, then," Ray laughed.

Holger waved a younger black man over, fit enough to drive nails with any part of his body. "Ray, this is Tomaz. Tomaz is the team lead for the first string to sit in with you."

"Then let's head up, Tomaz. See you two tomorrow at ten, correct?"

"Until then, Ray."

Seeing how many people were coming upstairs, Ray insisted the trooper with the wheeled cart take the elevator and led the way to the stairwell. One other Skepsi stepped into the elevator with Monica and Amber as the doors closed. The rest followed up the stairs to Ray's floor and along to the entrance of his condo.

Unlocking the door, Ray stepped into the room ahead of everyone else and stopped hard, blocking the doorway. Sitting on the couch, watching the door and smiling oddly, was an incredibly old, wrinkled and ugly woman. She might have been just over five feet tall had she been standing, the kind of woman who sank into leather-wrapped bones as she aged, seemingly turning into a living mummy. She wore a bright paisley blouse under a knitted natural wool shawl and above a long black wool skirt, worn but well maintained. Her gnarled hands held the top of a knotted, crooked walking stick resting upright in front of her. Thick wrappings of coarse cloth covered her feet, with loops of rope binding what looked to be a large chunk of bark to the bottom of each of her feet.

Perhaps the oddest part of her appearance though was here teeth and nails. The old woman's disturbing smile revealed shiny, jagged points of black iron behind wrinkled lips, and her fingers ended in long nails. These were quite literally iron building fasteners, not fingernails, even though they seemed to replace natural fingernails.

"And who might you be, ma'am?" asked Ray cautiously.

Ray could hear Jonathon whispering to Jessica, "She wasn't here when I left forty-five minutes ago."

Tauriz gently but irresistibly moved the two troopers aside that had been keeping her from being behind Ray. She did not recognize the woman or her type, other than she was positive that the ancient crone was not any form of mortal she'd ever met before.

"Politeness is such wonderful trait," the old woman replied.

"You are not a guest, ma'am. You didn't request guest rights, nor have I granted any. At this point, you're more a curiosity than anything else, but you're close to becoming something of a concern, frankly."

"Oh, guest rights! Oh, stars and stones, manners! Of course, of course, can have guest rights, here in own home!" she chortled, rocking back and forth a little on the couch.

She continued, her glittering black eyes flicking past Ray's shoulder to meet Tauriz' amber eyes, "No, deary girl, wouldn't go about trying things THAT way, now. Would be quite impolite, and I do so detest impoliteness."

"Oracle," Tauriz stated. She didn't sound too pleased. A large amount of information filled Ray's head as she described the visitor, indicating just how dangerous this lady could be, just how devious, and just what an enormous opportunity such a visit offered. There was more, but Ray didn't have the time or the practice to internalize the rest of the flood of information yet.

"Indeed! Indeedy I am. One of two on this land, or walking this land! Hah! Many more IN this land, but only two of us walking on it these days. When not sleeping or sitting or fucking or what have you, of course."

"And what brings an Oracle here, now?" queried Tauriz.

"Truly, wise question indeed!" cackled the old lady again.

"I notice you are avoiding answering it, though, ma'am," stated Ray.

"Oh, be that way, sterzhen." Her voice changed, becoming less inflected and much more formal." On my word as an Oracle, I mean no harm to any present who means no harm to me. On my word as an Oracle, I will harm none of those who attempt no harm to me. On my word as an Oracle, I will not discuss what happens here, tonight, save with those present, unless and until any present discuss this information with any not in the discussion."

"Then, Oracle, be welcome to my Master's home. We welcome you as you have welcomed us," said Tauriz.

Continuing, she told the rest of the crowd, "People, this Oracle has promised non-aggression and privacy of communication as long as we do the same. As such, do NOT under ANY circumstances attack or threaten her. For the time being, you may NOT discuss this with anyone not present here right now. We will take appropriate measures to inform your leadership tomorrow at ten, Tomaz."

"Yes, ma'am," is all Tomaz had to say.

"That includes any acknowledgments outgoing. NO new outgoing comms, understood?"

"If you say so, ma'am."

"Unfortunately, we do say so, sorry about that, Tomaz," confirmed Ray.

"Oracle, may we offer you tea or other beverage?" asked Tauriz.

"Ooh! Would not wish to trouble you dears."

"It will be no trouble, Oracle. What would you wish?"

"Tea would be lovely, dearie. As would vodka, but is perhaps too early for us to share spirits."

"Then we will make you tea, Oracle. Please pardon us while we get it ready for you."

"Sterzhen, word with you," the Oracle beckoned Ray over.

"Jessica," asked Tauriz, "Can you folks please make up a large pot of loose-leaf tea, please? I need to be here with Ray. Tea is in the large jar on the countertop."

"Certainly, Tauriz. Hina, please?"

Hina nodded and headed to the kitchen. The rest of the group entered, crowding into the room.

"Sit on her right, Master," Tauriz directed, walking over to sit on the Oracle's left. Following orders, Ray settled into the couch next to the strange old woman. Jessica took one chair across from the couch, Amber and Monica sat in the love seat. Jonathon, seeing no one else willing to step forward, took the remaining chair. Tomaz and his people moved to his right, standing along the wall to Tauriz' left.

"Ah, sterzhen, let these old eyes look on you. Yes, yes, have much of what you will need, but will need more, as well. Yes, dearie, you will."

Following Tauriz' nudging through Hinn, Ray asked, "And what would you suggest, Oracle?"

"Oh, sticks on trees, but are you marionetka, puppet of your slave, sterzhen?"

"I've been sillier than that at times, Oracle," Ray replied. "When you have an expert, you listen to the expert. In matters such as yourself, she is my expert, and I trust her implicitly."

"You more than trust her, sterzhen."

"Indeed, Oracle. I do."

"Are fated to a difficult life together, sterzhen. Both shall be lost, and it is not clear either will again be found. There is much can do, much will affect this. Not all good, not all bad, but much, and perhaps, just perhaps may be enough."

"Enough to both be found again, Oracle? Enough to achieve some other goal?" asked Ray.

"Yes, sterzhen."

"Oracle, you call me sterzhen. What do you mean by that?"

"You are sterzhen. Are seed of truth in the bushel of chaff. Are point much of this conflict will spin upon. Thus you are. Thus I name you."

"And what should we call you, Oracle? I do not intend to be rude, but it is generally considered impolite in my experience to continue to call someone by a title."

As the kettle whistled in the kitchen, the ancient woman replied, "Oh, that not as simple a question as might ask, sterzhen. One name you might know that I would find inoffensive will lead you in strange directions, but there is truth to be found there as well, bitter, bitter truth. As with all medicine, the proof of strength is in pain of use. Know your medicines, sterzhen, know them well."

"I shall endeavor to do so, but you seem to have a habit of not answering questions."

The old woman made horrendous choking and gagging noises. Only after a frozen moment did it become apparent that these horrible noises were her laughter. As she caught her breath after her spasmodic laughter came to a wheezing end, she gasped, "You are too honest for this world, sterzhen! Is good! Is very good!"

As her breathing finally returned to normal, she answered. "May call me Granny Yaga. Is as close as would normally come."

"Then, Granny Yaga, your advice is appreciated."

"Oh, I offer more than advice, young sterzhen, young Hinn. Youngest Hinn, indeed, youngest of a kind of life long departed. I do. But advice isn't over with either! There is much must hear, and not much time.

"Never does time stop grinding, chewing. Time is not enemy, but is never a friend, either, no. And time never stops for anyone, making an ally if choose to do so. Most faithful ally can be, for will never stop.

"And stop is something you must not do, sterzhen. Others hunt now, others know of you and send minions, cat's paws, hunters, and shadows. Slave knows of these, of old. Of very old, by your kind's reckoning, your first type's reckoning and your second type as well, but not her second kind.

"Who sends these, Granny Yaga?" asked Tauriz.

"Nadmaan."

"Yes, I remember him," said Tauriz.

"Is not entirely as you remember, ancient one, ancient osnova. Is both more and less than had been. Has begun to break free of some of what made that which he was, but has cost mightily. Yet even this price paid has own advantages, and if you act solely on memory, you will not succeed. Gather information, learn foes afresh, and be yourselves. Your love, your bond, that will help, but must still work hard to survive this threat.

"Once is settled, threat solved, must then look deeper. There are greater and darker and more evil forces yet, behind him, behind his kind. Find these, and fix this problem. You have a rare opportunity, young sterzhen, ancient osnova. You can fix problem ancient before these before us here were ordered made by angelics."

She paused as Hina brought a pot of tea into the room, setting it in the middle of the coffee table. Grabbing Jonathon, they brought cups and saucers in for everyone. Pouring for Granny Yaga first, she offered tea to everyone there.

Jessica had to ask, "How does a bachelor have this many matching cups and saucers, Ray?"

"A bachelor who has many coffee and tea drinkers over regularly to discuss the issues of the day? Who has faculty members from across the university visiting? Oh, I don't know, Jessica," he snarked back, smiling.

"Good tea," Granny Yaga muttered. "Is strange, is not? Would have been different drinks back then. Mead? Beer? Wine?"

"Beer, mostly, Granny Yaga. Many enjoyed mead, but beer was what most drank. Just no beer that most of these people would recognize as such. What they drink now is so very different."

"And which do you prefer, ancient one?"

"I prefer water, Granny Yaga."

"That was not choice!"

"There are always choices, Granny. You know this, perhaps even better than I."

Granny started her horrific laughter again. "I see! You ARE wise in years, ancient one!" she gasped out in between guffaws that shook her whole, tiny body.

"Please correct me if I'm wrong, Granny Yaga," queried Ray," but wouldn't you prefer the Russian version of that honorific? Baba Yaga?"

"Ah, you know your stories, young one. Good! Good! That will help!"

"Part of my life has been learning stories, many of the tales of Baba Yaga being some of them. You are being most polite."

"Sterzhen, I will not always be this kind, as you know. And as suspect, you will not know which will be greeting when next meet. Unless. Unless, sterzhen, you take burden."

"And what burden would you gift and curse me with, Baba Yaga?"

Her hair-raising version of laughter rang out, louder than ever. "Ah, DO know tales! Know them well!"

Ray explained to the room, "Baba Yaga is famous, or perhaps infamous, for giving double-edged gifts to those that she deals with. The one edge is always at least capable of what she promises, often more, but there's always a second edge, and that second edge is always a problem."

Still chuckling, she crooned "Truth! He speaks truth! Is more evident you must take this burden from me, sterzhen! Will serve you well."

"And what of the second edge, Baba Yaga? What will you have me lose?"

"Will learn much, much of what will need to survive, to thrive. But! Will be price. Must always be price. And price cannot be learned beforehand."

"How would you have me 'learning much,' Baba Yaga? Would you be teaching you?"

"No, is burden. Would be giving Oracle. Would be no longer Oracle, only had been Oracle. You would be next Oracle."

"Is that even possible? Never before has an Oracle passed their power to another," queried Tauriz.

"Is true, never before, never again. But, is first and only dukh Oracle too. Dukh do not obey! Dukh are freedom from rules! Is true for dukh Oracle, too."

"Dukh? That's not a term I know, I'm sorry. What do you mean by dukh, please?"

"Is old part of tale of Baba Yaga. Most forget, but Baba Yaga not witch. Not just witch! Baba Yaga started as sprite, creature making snowflake, drawing pretty frost, growing icicles to sparkle. Only later, much later, did Baba Yaga become witch. Sprite related to many other dukh, cobold, water-horse, polkan, horned-horse, many others."

"Might ignorant Westerners such as myself consider these as something akin to the fey?"

"Is not bad analogy, is not exact but is not bad."

"I see. Tauriz missed many years, waking just about two days ago. I do not know of the truth behind most legends. Monica, are you aware of such beings or others?"

"Two days, you said? But, pardon - yes, Ray, there are some few things out there that aren't nearly human, and then there are things made from humans. Unaware observers of berserks actively following the path of rage can occasionally be mistaken for werewolves, for instance.

"That makes sense, as well. Are you aware of any of the beings Baba Yaga just named?"

"There are rumors, but only rumors are all I know. Others know more than I, and I can ask them when next we meet."

"Please do. Thank you for..."

As Tauriz shouted, "NO!" Baba Yaga started laughing. Grabbing Ray by his ear, she boomed, "So, gift accepted. Is good! Is VERY GOOOD!" Her last two words surprised everyone, being backed by massive jawhar and loud enough to rock everyone but Ray away from her. She yanked Ray back close and hopped into his lap, kissing him hard. It was surprising, but even Ray's improved strength and reactions could do nothing to prevent the witch's perfectly timed actions.

The room seemed to darken, all the light draining into the two kissing on the couch. It collapsed into a small cloud shining from inside Baba Yaga and flowed through the kiss to brush up at Ray's tightly-sealed mouth. Breaking off the kiss a tiny, ancient fist swung and caught Ray squarely in the solar plexus. Unable to prevent it, his mouth gaped open, and the light flew down his throat as Baba Yaga laughed in raw triumph.

The witch laughed, "Is done! Sleep, sterzhen, sleep - and dream!" As Tauriz bounced back, Baba Yaga seemed to become transparent, fading just before Tauriz' strike would have decapitated her. The last echoes of her laughter persisted unnaturally, slowly dissipating over the next several seconds even as Ray's eyes rolled up into the back of his head before he collapsed.

An Aside

Elsewhere

The Eldest carefully logged out of his accounts before closing the browsers and powering the computer off. These humans were surprising in their constant changes, so much faster than his kind. They would be a problem for his hidebound kin when they decided to continue their genocidal march across history.

At least the Jann still lived, contrary to what had been the common belief. Their honesty and openness, especially their honesty about faults and openness regarding failures, gave them a great defense against the twisted minds and soiled rwh they faced. It was a wonderfully ironic twist that the great weakness his people had targeted has turned out to be a surprising strength that prevented further manipulation.

And then there were the genie. Always, they were problematic. None could be trusted. Each genie either fought their captivity or fell to khadar and ceased to respond, regardless of what their masters tried. There were horrendous tortures practiced by the Jinn on such genie that even occasionally worked, but always, always led to the master's demise due to the irate and damaged genie returning the 'favor' of consciousness.

Looking at the collection of items along the far wall of his cave, he sighed. There were so many brilliant minds, loving hearts, and skilled hands - all lost to khadar. There must be a cure somewhere.

Chapter 30

Ray found himself alone in a bubbling void. Each bubble was distinct from each other, yet there was nothing outside the bubbles, nothing in bubbles, nothing holding the nothingness inside each. Somehow he knew each bubble overlapped and filled the same "space," but was still paradoxically different in ways subtle and blatant, mundane and profound.

Taking a deep breath and trying to breathe calmly, Ray realized he wasn't breathing. He didn't have a real, physical body here. It seemed more that there was a point from which this new form of perception spread out. He noticed something like ghosts of many more beings scattered around and within the bubbles, as densely packed as snowflakes in a whiteout. Some were fainter than others, but all were either white or black, about evenly split. They all looked like people in all sorts of clothing, from nude to being enwrapped in strange clouds of light. He even spotted a full-bearded Assyrian smith with his heavy leather apron, who appeared quite dark and somewhat faint. The smith seemed to smile and nod to Ray, who tried to nod back.