Hinn Ch. 47-50

Story Info
Historian meets History - preparing for the surprise.
16k words
4.75
4.6k
2

Part 17 of the 22 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/14/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note - Please read from Chapter 1 to make sense of this. This is not a quick stroke story. There will be sexy-times, but they will only happen as the story's pace dictates, and that won't start quick.

All characters participating in sexual activities are 18 or older.

Chapter 47

A small mob of people -- Ray, Tauriz, Ousha, Annya, Amber, Monica, Tomaz, and two of his other troops -- gathered in the conference room. Tomaz briefly introduced Kendis and Rocco, two Skepsi troopers who'd specialized in sensor tech and breaching target defenses, respectively. Ousha asked Annya to bring up a view of the building's current protections, which quickly appeared on-screen.

"So, the immediate outside first. I see Skepsi has people and sensors on the gates in the fence, which is what I'd expect. The fence itself isn't covered yet, but I think Annya has some ideas on that?"

"Yes, I do," Annya agreed, "We'll be wiring it to detect and localize climbing or tampering within the week, and hopefully by the end of the day, we'll have it all covered in visible light. I suspect we'll need to do more than that, but that'll be a good first step."

"An excellent first step, I think," Ousha agreed. "The nice thing here, from a magical perspective, is that we have an obvious boundary -- the fence line -- and a definitive list of trusted personnel, based on the NDAs. Anyone on the grounds must have had their signed NDA accepted, or gotten invited in by someone with an NDA. By definition, everyone else is unwelcome. I think Amber, Monica, and I can work out something to handle that, right ladies?"

"I think we could probably anchor several effects to that, given a little time and many more practitioners. I don't think we have enough people, though," was Monica's input.

Ousha asked, "In your practice, these people are useful for what? Control? Power generation? Smoothing the flow?"

"A bit of each, but with Amber and myself, we'd primarily need the help building the power."

"If I'm not mistaken," Ousha added, "Tauriz or Ray should be able to generate raw power at least two orders of magnitude greater than a human practitioner. Adding them into a circle should grant you the equivalent of a hundred humans -- or more!"

"That might be an embarrassment of riches," Amber opined. "It's a good problem to have, but it's still a problem. Effects take what they take, and any extra power generated has to be used somehow. Unused power grounds out chaotically, sometimes destructively. We can do some planning and have options on hand, depending on what level of power we end up with."

Ray volunteered, "Well, how about I generate a charge, and then you ladies plan based on that? Tauriz and I don't have a problem with grounding out charges we generate, as it's just a part of us. It might be harder for you once we transfer into your control. If you can transfer it back to either of us, we shouldn't have a problem with excess."

"How long do you think it'd take for you to build up power like that?"

"Moments," said Ray. "It's a part of us. It's here. It's effectively just waiting to be used, much like your breath. We can generate more power from that point, much as you could. That can take more time, but I think Ousha is correct in that we're operating at a different level of power. No offense intended -- it's just one of humanity's weaknesses."

Amber nodded, "And human techniques seem to be significantly more energy-efficient compared to what you two have thrown around that I could understand."

"Interesting thought. It would make sense, now that you bring it up," Tauriz mused. "You ladies have effective techniques available, while we have noticed the low relative power levels. Given time and determination, I can understand why efficiency would become so critical. We shall have to look into improving our own techniques' efficiency."

"Oh, and on a related but different topic," Ray interjected, "Tauriz and I have discovered a way to augment human casting. We've learned how to heal the fatigue and energy loss almost as quickly as it occurs. It's not going to increase the peak or precision of human power generation, but it can greatly enhance your endurance without risk of hurting yourselves."

"That alone would be a game changer," Monica said, looking slightly stunned.

"I think we have an interesting division of work shaping up here. Human efficiency backed with Hinn power generation," Tauriz mused. "In combination with some of the ancient Hinn techniques, I suspect we may end up pushing boundaries untouched in some exceedingly long time, back when the Angelics worked directly with mortals."

"Ray, could you please show us what you consider to be a reasonable charge? Nothing that would exhaust you, something you could keep up for at least a couple hours?"

With a small mental effort, Ray complied and built up a small flood of samum within a short loop of jawhar he formed extending from his palm. "How's that?"

The sisters blinked and looked at each other. "And you're able to keep that going for how long, Ray?"

"As long as I'm conscious, I should be able to maintain it. So -- twenty hours, if I were to push it? Longer? Something around there."

The sisters looked a little stunned. "Ray, you're holding more than a Grand Circle can put out in a single pulse. That's thirteen circles of thirteen feeding into a central circle of thirteen. Those hundred and eighty-two people would need at least a good meal and a long night's sleep to recover from that level of effort. If any were infirm, they might not survive that level of stress."

"Good to know, honestly. If human practitioners can perform the feats hinted at in myth and legend with that kind of power level, we might even be able to deal with angelics on an even footing."

"Were you to generate a single pulse, Ray, with a similar degree of fatigue, what might that look like?" Amber wanted to know.

"As Hinn?" asked Ray.

Tauriz interrupted. "Please do not, Ray. This level is not detectable at any reasonable distance, but many if not all practitioners the world over would perceive the level you're thinking about."

"And that's also good for us to know," Monica thought aloud. "Human crafting -- er, techniques -- are difficult to notice except for those present."

"Wasn't there something about GPS signals being too small to notice?" Ray asked.

Annya answered, "There's a certain amount of random noise in any spectrum you can imagine -- radio like GPS, or sound, or whatever. The GPS signals are usually buried deep in that noise, but a well-designed algorithm can still detect the signal regardless of what the noise is doing. You can think of it kind of like a directional microphone listening to someone whispering at a rock concert. It's doable but not easy, even if the person whispering is working with you. Of course, I don't know if that's true with your techniques or not."

"It seems more likely than not from my understanding, Annya. So as a project sometime soon, we should work on seeing if we can get something similar looking for techniques hiding in the noise caused by living beings," Ray said. "Annya, Tauriz, Amber, Monica, Ousha, can I leave that to you five, or some subset, as you get some time?"

Looking between the ladies, Tauriz nodded. "I think we can do that. Shall we discuss this over lunch, ladies?"

After a chorus of agreement, Ray brought them back to the topic at hand. "OK, that's great, but -- given this power level as a source, what do you two think you'd be able to do?"

"We can generate tons of effects with that kind of power. I'd suggest a three-tiered response. The first level would affect any within the fence line who have not had a signed NDA accepted and weren't invited by someone authorized. The first effect would cause a dread of the building ramping up rapidly as they approach the building, transitioning to a non-fatal paralysis within the building. The second level would extend the paralysis effect to the fence line for those not invited, and the third would create a fatal paralysis."

"Those are good initial effects," Tauriz mused, "but being static effects they're pretty easily countered from outside the fence. I'd suggest that each level also adds in some other techniques, assuming it's possible.

"First, an alert if any of the current effects are countered within the fence. Second, additional disabling effects randomly changing over time. Emetics, dizziness, confusion, uncertainty, compulsion, kinetic adjustments, and so forth."

Monica replied, looking thoughtful, "The detection and alerting effect for a static field is certainly doable. I'm not sure how the secondary effects could be applied randomly, nor how to detect tampering."

"If we set up multi-part rune constructs for each additional effect, Sis, we could layer the detection in with the effect. I'm not sure how to create the randomness though," was Amber's contribution.

Ousha suggested, "Perhaps we can set up a mechanical device to redirect an empowering object between these talismans, er, rune constructs? If so, there are any number of ways from pure mechanical through various electronic methods to inject differing degrees of randomness into such a system."

"I don't see a problem with building an empowering device," said Tauriz. "It will need replacement periodically, depending on how large a drain we end up designing in. I am also assuming that it will be a constant output, without having to change the intensity between different constructs. Is that a reasonable assumption?"

After checking with her sister, Monica said, "We can work with that. Once we determine the specifics of all the effects, we'll just scale off the hungriest one and power the others to its level, or inject inefficiencies to increase the cost of the others up to the level of the biggest one.

"So it seems like we'll need to make three paired rune constructs will for the base effects, one set creating the effect and the second monitoring it for tampering. We'll then follow on by creating more dual constructs to handle each of the random additional effects and making them tamperproof."

Ray asked, "Roughly how long would it take to create a pair of rune constructs like this?"

"If we were to build them the traditional ways, it would take about a month of hard work each for me. If instead I can design them and get you or Tauriz to build them, it should go much faster."

"What's the traditional process?"

"Creating the object to hold the runes by hand, followed by engraving the runes themselves, maintaining an appropriate level of power through each as I go, as well as ensuring linkages between the proper runes."

"If you can both imagine the exact design you intend and share that image with Tauriz or I, we should be able to create it in moments. Are there differences in how the runes are empowered, or do you use a constant level?"

"The critical aspects are the order of engraving, which runes link with others, and the level of power each link uses. I don't think it'll be hard for me to depict the power levels and order and include that in the image. Something more like a video than a static image, if you understand?"

"More like directions of the process than a depiction of the final product? Great! We should be able to work with that. And sharing the process?"

"I can either lower enough of my defenses, or you can accept a thought from me, whichever is easier."

Ray asked both Tauriz and Ousha via Hinn if there was a way to allow non-Hinn to input such a process to Hinn? After a moment, Ousha showed the other two an example of where other Hinn had done so in the past and a second example of how it eventually caused unintended side effects. She indicated she now knew how to mitigate those effects if the sisters used the technique.

"Monica, I think we can do something a little better," Ray said. "We can have you put the process into Hinn, where Tauriz and I can access it. That way, no one has to lower defenses. When you're ready, let either of us know and we'll show you how -- it's not going to be difficult, I don't think."

"Great, that's wonderful! Is there some way we can get access to it?"

"Other than being made Hinn yourselves, something I'd caution you heavily about the risks, no. We can output specific pieces -- thoughts, memories, that kind of thing -- in several different ways, however." Ray searched through Hinn for a second, then said, "For instance, I just found a couple of different techniques to randomly alternate between a fixed number of options that should work for you as well. Tauriz'll show you later - you'll have to tell us if you think you can put them into rune constructs, however."

Ray's cell rang, and he excused himself out into the lobby to answer it.

Chapter 48

"This is Ray," he answered.

The Jann he'd met outside the Student Center replied. "Hinn. Our Mother Moon would speak with Hinn. The body of water humans term Placid has two islands within it. The one termed Moose has three peaks. Look for us at sunset tomorrow atop the western peak for us to take you to her. You may bring two with you if you wish. Under the Moon, you and any guests will be unharmed as long as you harm none of the Moon's. You will be returned to the same place later the same evening, once the conversation ends. Others will not find us."

With that, the call went dead. Ray blinked, as his phone showed no signs of having received a call - no phone number, no call duration, nothing. Walking back into the meeting, he cleared his throat. "Looks like a potential change in plans, folks. Just got a demand or request for Hinn to speak with the Jann's Mother Moon tomorrow night at sundown."

In the sudden silence, he unlocked his phone and slid it across the table. "Annya, please double-check me - the phone rang, I swiped to answer, heard the Jann I spoke with at the Student Center, and it disconnected before I could say anything in reply. The western peak of Moose Island in Lake Placid is the meeting point, and I and up to two others are invited there at sundown tomorrow. See if you can find any evidence of that on the phone, I can't. Which may mean they can affect the cell network somehow, or something.

"To me, this breaks down to two main questions. First question - should we go? If so, the second question is who?"

Ousha spoke up, "I've no say on those questions - but I'll go work things with Betty to make sure we can get you there if you decide to go."

"Good initiative, Ousha, thanks. Plan on quite a few of us going. I expect we'll still be here talking when you're ready." She nodded as she headed off.

Tomaz said, "I think the obvious threats are obvious -- attack, capture, distraction, delay, etcetera -- so I'm not sure how I can help you with the first question. For the second, we've got a couple of our troops trained in close protection here if you want them, or we could see if Jessica's folks might be more appropriate. I'd suggest you take a while to discuss the situation with whoever you select, so they know who or what to shoot when. Additionally, I suggest we take a team with rough-terrain transport and get them into the same area as a fallback measure."

"Thanks, Tomaz - even if we end up not taking them, I'd like to pick their brains before we go, and having a second string on the bow is smart. Figure three teams, though -- contact, emergency response, and a group to protect our transport home."

Tauriz said, "You just said, 'before we go' -- you intend to go, then?"

"I'm inclined to go, but more than willing to listen if any of you disagree. Of the three free mortal races we're aware of, I believe we'll continue to fight one, the Jinn. They attacked without warning, after all. Humans are scattered but numerous, and we're starting to put together resources that'll help -- look around the table, we've done a lot together in less than a week! That leaves the Jann as an unknown. Knowing what they want, what this Mother Moon's priorities and concerns are, should help clear this particular mystery up.

"Now, we may be missing other groups we may ally with or end up fighting, like the Duhk, the Fae if they're a different bunch or other legendary groups of beings. Until we have some evidence and a good starting point to work from, I suggest we'll let that be for now."

"Ray," Tauriz warned, "you're missing the big question -- the angelics."

"That's a fair point. I have a couple of ideas we could try to contact some of those beings, but I'm not seeing any real evidence that they're currently active. There's any number of potential reasons for that, some good for us, some horrible. Given the relative power levels and the utter uncertainty of angelics' motivations, I'd rather not poke that hornet's nest unless and until I have to."

Nodding her acceptance of his points, Tauriz asked, "Can you repeat the part about Mother Moon for me please, Ray?"

Ray recounted the message word-for-word for Tauriz and the others -- Hinn remained its usual useful capabilities. Tauriz mused, "It seems to me that the Jann implied that you would be speaking with this Mother Moon. I hope they have created some form of leadership position I have not heard of before, as the alternatives are potentially worse -- an angelic involved in their creation, a sentient embodiment of their visualization of the Moon, or some other being taking on those roles and trappings. They had nothing of this sort when last I knew them or at least were not openly discussing such then."

Nodding thoughtfully, Ray asked, "Amber, Monica, you're our two best sources of knowledge on the current times. Are there such beings now?"

The sisters looked surprised. Monica answered, "Of course, Ray. I thought you two had realized that -- the actual Norse deities I worship live and love and hate much the same as mortals, as do many other pantheons and singletons. They're generally reluctant to interact with non-believers for reasons they refuse to discuss, but it would not surprise me to learn of many deity-level beings associated with the moon. It has been pretty consistently worshipped in one form or another throughout human history, after all."

Amber nodded and added, "Those beings unsurprisingly are strange from our point of view. For instance, there are those whose worship of flame leads them to interact with what appears to be foul forces that could be called demonic. Others meet Loki or Agni or any of the many other deities involved in fires and flames. There have been many indications that each divine embodiment is independent, with their personal knowledge, goals, concerns, and attitudes, kept private and separate from other seemingly related beings of this type. At the same time, there have been quite a few examples of private knowledge granted to one aspect or archetype being acted on by one or more others that have strong similarities. We can't tell if they're passing the information between themselves deliberately or otherwise. If you wish, I can make some calls and see if some of my contacts know anything about this Mother Moon."

Ray replied, "If we decide on going, then yes, definitely, before we go. We should also talk more about potentially allying with some of the friendly divines, but let's handle this potential trip first. I agree with Tomaz' initial list of risks if we go -- Death, capture, distraction, compromise. Anyone have any others?"

Tauriz added, "Contagion -- they may be able to associate future workings with you once they meet you -- although the technique they used to communicate with you by your phone makes me wonder if it may be too late to worry about that. On the other hand, I am inclined to trust their word on safe passage. The Jann were never liars, nor did they try to manipulate and weasel out of promises -- just the opposite."