Hinn Ch. 57-59

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Another fifteen minutes saw the crates strapped down in the luggage compartment while the pilot spoke briefly with Kendis. Everyone found seats for the flight while the copilot brought the engines alive. Once everyone had settled in, the pilot ran through the passenger compartment safety checklist quickly and headed back to the cockpit. "We're second in line for takeoff, folks, and we expect this to be a smooth trip of slightly less than one hour. Please stay seated and belted in until the seatbelt sign turns off before moving about the cabin."

Sitting next to Tauriz, Ray checked to see if there were recording devices. Finding several of them, including video, he worked with Tauriz to ensure Kendis spotted the well-camouflaged devices without making any overt indications. Samum was just too handy. When Kendis made a 'joke' about all the ears of corn in the area, he was pleasantly surprised when Ray nodded and grinned back across the aisle at him.

Taking a deep breath, Ray relaxed into the comfortable chair. No need to stress, this would work out however it did, and they would reach the best outcome they could. Smiling, Tauriz took his hand in hers, squeezing lightly. Her presence was a tonic, helping him stay relaxed even as his anticipation kept building.

The flight and landing passed uneventfully. Ray moved quickly without rushing through the security checkpoint to the rental sedan waiting for himself, John and Kat. With John behind the wheel, the three drove off while the rest of the team carried the crates from the back of the plane to the two helicopters waiting nearby. As the car left the airport, Ray could feel Tauriz' perceptions following him, probing the area he was passing through.

As Ray got out of the car, he smiled as he felt Tauriz' perception follow. Already she was taking special care of him, and he'd only left minutes ago. Sending his pleasure and appreciation, Ray walked with the others to the marina and out to the water taxi. The pilot handed them Mae West life preservers as they came aboard. Once everyone strapped into one, she pushed off from the dock and started the large outboards, heading out to the island. "We'll be there in about twenty, twenty-five minutes."

The fresh breeze across the slightly choppy water was cool and refreshing. It'd been a while since Ray had simply enjoyed the wilderness, even something as tame as this. The birds, the clouds, the foliage on the shores, all were soul-filling.

Pulling up to the beat-up dock Betty had somehow gotten permission to use, Ray, John, and Kat stepped off onto the shore, lugging their bags. Passing the life preservers back to the pilot, she waved and headed back to the marina to handle the rest of her business until they called her for a pickup.

John started checking out the area while Kat set up electronics she pulled from a sealed Pelican case. Ray resettled his pack, stretched his back gently, and spoke into his headset. "Comms check, please."

"Reading you five by five, Ray," replied Kendis' voice.

"Excellent. Heading uphill now." With that, Ray turned to face the peak he was to hike up, three hundred feet of mature forested elevation in a fraction of a mile. Some of the hiking was steep, as Ray wasn't trying to do any clever maneuvering. Instead, he relied on his physical abilities as Hinn, clambering easily from trunk to trunk along the steepest parts in the afternoon sun.

He felt the Jann tracking him as he approached the top of the hill, but couldn't spot them. Pulling on the technique he'd practiced in training, he noted that the areas under observation weren't conical. The Jann weren't relying ontheir vision -- Were they listening? Scenting? Something else? Assuming a Jann was near the center of roughly spherical regions, Ray tried to work out where the Jann might physically be, in which tree, on what rock.

Looking around, no one seemed willing to approach at this time. Ray turned the microphone to always-on.

"Does that mean you've arrived, Ray?" Kendis sent.

Ray sent his response to Tauriz, not wanting to speak. She replied on the radio, "He has, Kendis. Corn, again, but apparently of the expected breed this time."

"Very good, we'll be ready to move within thirty minutes as needed," was Kendis' reply.

Finding a comfortable place to sit that left room between himself and the nearby Jann, Ray settled in to wait the hours until sundown. It was a pleasure to be out in the woods, listening to the small animals and birds in their lives, watching the wind stir the leaves. Ray found it even more restful than usual, in part due to his better senses now -- what would have been quiet, undefined noises and quick flickers of movement became easily recognized wildlife.

A squirrel gnawing the seeds out of a pine cone was blissfully unaware of the feral cat that was stalking it. The family of owls muttered quietly to each other as they, too, waited for the night. A hawk caught a starling. Life kept on, red in tooth and claw, innocent in its viciousness.

Ray shared his perceptions and his pleasure with his Hinn. The three were pleased with his thoughtfulness, and their enjoyment echoed back and forth across Hinn, reinforcing and augmenting each's happy emotions.

Over time, Ray was able to locate two of the five Jann around him. One was seated on a thick branch some dozen feet off the ground, and another seemed to be curled up in a small but thick stand of blackberry canes. Neither moved except to breathe, not even to blink. In time, Ray realized that was because they were keeping their eyes closed for some reason, which helped explain why their perceptions weren't conical but rather spherical. He still wasn't sure which sense or senses he was tracking their perceptions by, however.

Hours later, a few minutes before the sun touched the horizon, Ray pulled out his bag of gorp -- Good Old Raisins and Peanuts, a tradition he kept from his childhood. Any trip out into the woods would be a good excuse to mix up a batch and bring along with him. Feeling a little impish, Ray said, "I don't have a lot of food here, but in the name of friendly relations, I'm willing to share at least a mouthful with the five of you."

The woods went silent. All the animals froze, feeling a sudden threat they couldn't evade. They felt certain that only if they remained unnoticed would they be able to survive. One of the 'spheres' of sensation changed to a cone, identifying a third Jann's location. Reaching in for a generous pinch of peanuts and raisins, Ray popped it into his mouth before lifting the bag and offering it towards the still-invisible Jann.

Stepping out of concealment from behind a screen of shrubbery, she came to Ray. Stopping just in arm's reach, she bowed, her eyes never leaving Ray. Ray stood and returned the bow in kind, keeping the bag of gorp extended. She reached in and took a pinch, tasting it, considering it, worrying the peanuts and raisins with her tongue before slowly chewing.

Smiling, Ray took another pinch before offering the bag towards one of the Jann he'd spotted. All of the remaining four opened their eyes, standing or dropping out of trees to come and accept Ray's offer. Each in turn bowed, was bowed to in return, and took a pinch of Ray's gorp. The small animals relaxed, feeling the threat fade, and returned to their urgent business of finding food and avoiding becoming food.

"I know I'm early, but you've been here longer. I figured you'd like a snack since I was a little peckish myself."

The female who'd first stepped forward spoke in a deep, resonant voice quite out of sorts with her small frame, "We thank you for your kindness, Hinn."

"You are most welcome, Jann. I am known as Ray. What may I call the five of you?"

Ray felt something unusual throb under the skin of the world. "I am called Belphebe, Ray. These others may not speak at present, and I may not name them to you. Your patience will soon be rewarded, as our Mother Moon will call shortly." She looked at the bag in Ray's hand, more than three-quarters empty.

Offering her the bag, Ray replied, "Please, Belphebe and those who may not be named, help yourselves. I look forward to meeting your Mother Moon and learning more of her desires."

Belphebe took the bag from him and took a portion of the remaining gorp before passing it to the Jann on her right, still holding the food uneaten. Ray felt a thread of power similar to the pulse he'd sensed earlier follow the bag as it circled him. He felt Tauriz and Ousha tense, recognizing it as some form of technique. Dhakira shared a memory of a similar circumstance, where Jann had previously met with Hinn in peaceful times. They also shared their knowledge that Jann had never attacked Hinn in such a manner.

As the bag passed around him, Ray remained centered on Belphebe even as more threads were joined. When the bag was passed back to her, there was one small pinch left -- three raisins and two peanuts. Each had a small thread of a different Jann's power left attached to it. She returned the bag to Ray. Taking the hint, Ray pinched up the last bit and joined the Jann as each savored their snack.

As she chewed, Belphebe wondered aloud, "You do not fear?"

"I fear much, Belphebe of the Jann. But of you and your technique here? No, I do not fear your kindness."

A surprisingly familiar voice chuckled off to Ray's left. Looking, Ray saw a vaguely childlike figure, silvery-white in color with no details visible. "You are a wonder, Professor Raymond Helms. As your entertainers enjoy portraying, we come in peace."

"Then with peace you will be welcomed," Ray replied, following an ancient Arabic custom that resonated in Hinn as being relevant.

"Truly the memory of the Hinn remains a marvel. Will you join me, Raymond Helms?"

"How would you prefer me to do so?"

"Amusingly, some of your entertainers stumbled upon another truth. Step into the light, Raymond Helms, and join me."

Turning to bow farewell to Belphebe, Ray walked over and stepped into the glowing outline. The world grew bright, whiting out the surroundings for a brief period before being replaced. Soon, Ray found himself standing next to a burbling stream in woodlands, much like those Ray had drilled in with the Skepsi squad. The headset remained silent, but he felt Tauriz, Ousha, and Dhakira still with him. He could sense many perceiving beings nearby -- there was something wrong about a few of them, something that was unpleasantly familiar -- but only one being was close enough to interact with easily.

"Yes, this is a place much like that you envisioned, Dr Helms," came the voice that spoke to him yesterday. Looking at her was difficult. She appeared humanoid, but the bright silvery shine to her skin made her features difficult to focus on at first. A thought, and his vision adjusted, damping out some of the brightness and increasing the contrast.

She stood perhaps six feet tall, very thin and very fit, muscled as an endurance athlete. Her hair was short, ringlets the same color as her skin, albeit of a less reflective texture. Her eyelashes and brows were the only other hairs on her body, her skin flawless. The only other oddity beyond her coloration was her lack of a navel. "The Jann call me their Mother Moon. As I am not your mother in any way, that would be inappropriate, so you may call me Emma, Ray."

"Well met then, Emma. You've gone through some trouble to meet with me -- what would you like to discuss?"

"Such fine manners! A true pleasure, indeed. There is much to discuss. First, be welcome here. We are within one of the Jann's safeholds, a realm attached to but separate from the reality you know best. You are my guest here in the ancient sense. If there is something I can provide for you, please ask."

"Your generous offer is appreciated, but I have no special requests at this time, thank you."

A small smile crept across Emma's face as she asked, "Any normal requests, then?"

Chuckling, Ray replied, "Nothing new at this time, Emma, thank you for checking, though."

"Oh, well, a woman's got to try! Since you don't, might I request something of you?"

"What would you like, Emma?"

"I was quite serious when I asked you to join me. Will you?"

Ray frowned a little in confusion. "I am here, Emma, I have joined you in that sense. Did you mean it in some other sense of the word?"

"I meant it in every sense of the word," she said, stepping closer. "I wished to meet you, and that's going along swimmingly -- you impressed Belphebe and her friends immensely! -- but there's so much more. I would like you to work with me on many things, as I would work with you. I'd be quite pleased if you were to become Jann, much the way you're now Hinn -- don't deny it, I feel your fire!"

Tauriz left a gentle warning in Hinn, reminding Ray of the Jann's ability to sense deception. Almost instinctively he snuggled with her presence, even as he replied, "I wouldn't try to deny it to you, Emma, yes, I'm Hinn now, but let me be as clear as I can."

Ray's headset bleeped, notifying him that it had lost communications with the Skepsi squad. Having figured as much, Ray continued talking with Emma. "As you may realize, I was born and raised as a human, completely ignorant of Hinn, Jann, and much else. Being Hinn is new to me, and how that happened required a most unlikely set of circumstances. Knowing that, how would you see me becoming Jann, and what would that mean to you?"

Moving closer, Emma smiled. "I don't believe Hinn have a history, a social practice of adopting other sentients, correct?"

"To the best of my knowledge, non-Hinn have become Hinn in the past, but it was more the exception than the rule, you're correct."

"Ah! You DO have your memories! Good! That'll make all this easier!" Emma enthused.

"Of course. What is Hinn without memory?" Ray asked.

"A bipedal sentient with the greatest raw potential I know of, bound to one of the great forces that form the basis of our reality," Emma instantly replied. "We knew that even before watching you approach the peak, from your dealings with the Jann. Even had you not had your memories, it would benefit the Jann to join with you. With your memories, you are even more appealing from the Jann's point of view."

"And what of your point of view, Emma? I don't believe you're Jann, are you?"

"Perceptive of you, Ray. What do you think I may be, then?"

"Humans have legends and beliefs of beings, some they labeled divine, and others diabolic. Both seem to have drawn something of worth from their interactions with humans. I suspect that you are something similar to that, but your interactions focus on the Jann, not humanity."

"You are correct within the scope of your description, Ray. Very impressive!" she cheered, resting her hand on Ray's right shoulder. He could sense the comforting warmth of her touch, even with his pack strap and clothing in the way. "You are correct both that there are similarities between the demonic and the divine of human histories, and that there is some value gained by the nonhuman in the relationship. You are also correct that I, for lack of a better word, work with the Jann, not humanity. In some ways, you might consider me a predator optimized with Jann as my primary prey. In other ways, you might say I have a relationship with Jann much as a human mother might with her children.

"Unaddressed by your statement, however, are some other relevant facts. I am not an acknowledged leader of the Jann, able to commit some or all to a given course of action. I have influence with many but not all Jann, this is true, but I do not lead any faction of their populace. Instead, I encourage behaviors I find most beneficial among those Jann who I work with and discourage their behaving in other ways I deem detrimental. Even so, I have no authority over Jann as a leader might.

"These interactions are somewhat similar to those a divinity might have taken in humanity's past. I try not to be so crude as to smite the unbeliever, but I admit I have when I felt pressed. I am not the only entity or being who works with Jann. Most of these beings also focus on the long-term viability and growth of Jann. Unfortunately, not all are, and some delight in shorter-term pursuits, often to what I would consider the detriment of the Jann."

"Would that be part of how you'd define the difference between the demonic and the divine? The sustainability of your interactions?"

She blinked and took a step back, her hand falling from his shoulder. "Interesting insight, Ray. I would have focused more on the benefit to both parties, but in some ways, you might consider the goal sustainability, such as a farmer or ecologist might pursue."

"My apologies if I offended you -- that was not my intent."

"No, no no -- I'm not offended, Ray, just a little surprised. I find I'm not used to interactions with differing viewpoints as much as I had thought I was."

"It's easy to fall into that trap, especially with a group devoted to you that you primarily interact with. Of course, that's an assumption of mine -- that you mostly interact with your children amongst the Jann?"

"Yes, that's true, I do mostly talk with Jann who consider me their mother."

"If that bothers you, there are several ways to address it. Perhaps doubling down and cleaving closer to your followers, or alternately reaching out to those who do not follow you more frequently, for just two polar opposite options."

"What would you do in my situation, Ray?" she asked after a heartbeat's pause.

"I'm not sure, frankly. I'm convinced I don't fully understand your situation, Emma, nor do I know why some Jann follow you and others don't. Personally, I attempt to keep reaching out, stretching beyond my current comfort level, but that's as much a product of my upbringing and my life experiences as a rational decision. With your life and experiences, your decisions could be equally rational but come to quite different answers."

"No absolutes, then?"

Ray grinned. "Few absolutes, and I'm learning that many of the absolutes I accepted before I became Hinn may apply to lesser degrees, if at all. Where that will leave me, I am unsure, but I look forward to the journey!"

"I am very glad that you rebuffed those Jann, Raymond Helms, and that you agreed to visit me. You have given me much to consider, and for that, I thank you."

"The thanks are mutual, Emma. I've learned a lot from you already, and I suspect that we're not done in our trading insights and knowledge, are we?"

"Clever Hinn. No, I would prefer we continue."

"Then shall we? You desire my joining you. Can you tell me more, how you foresee this occurring? Both the benefits and the risks?"

"There are many things that could lead us closer, Ray. Everything from becoming a follower, although the more we discuss, the more I consider that unlikely, to becoming an ally. I have hope that that may still come to pass."

"And what would you have us associate to accomplish?"

"I have no specific needs that led to this conversation, Ray. Instead, perhaps you could consider this an example of my reaching out beyond my current comfort level?"

Watching Emma for a second as he thought, Ray shook his head. "Perhaps. I doubt the first part of your statement, though, Emma -- you've shown me some of your capabilities to bring us together here. This sharing may lead to your increased vulnerability. I do not mean to threaten -- I'm merely noting that knowledge is a dangerous thing and that I share information with many as I deem it appropriate. Why would you take such a risk, if you didn't have specific needs or goals to outweigh them? Your reflection of my comment on comfort levels frankly strikes me as a manipulation attempt more than a real answer."