HOA

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No. I won't go without saying goodbye. I promise."

Satisfied, Jayden went to his room.

"Ken," Valerie began. "I'm...very confused."

"About?"

"Well...everything."

"You mean 'everything' as it pertains to us, right?"

"That's just it. There isn't...an us." Valerie hesitated then asked, "Is there?"

"That's what my rather inept comment about 'being thirsty' meant. I was trying to let you know I'm..."

"Thirsty?" Valerie teased.

"Yes. Figuratively, anyway."

"I'm still not sure I understand," she told him truthfully, although she had an idea where this might be going.

Ken smiled then said, "I don't blame you. I'm not sure I understand, either."

He paused then asked if they could sit down.

"Okay," Valerie said as she sat across from him in the living room.

"I...work a lot. And I know you do to, too. But that doesn't mean I don't have a social life. In fact, well, in all honesty, it's been fairly full for as long as I can remember."

Valerie understood. He was a very attractive man, so he didn't need to spell it out.

"But as...full...as it's been, it's really been quite...empty."

"I thought I was with you, but you just lost me again," she said very politely.

"Busy can still be empty. Is that any better?" Ken asked.

"Not really?" she said with a bit of a wince.

"Let me try something different."

He leaned forward then spoke directly.

"Valerie, I've met a lot of women but never anyone like you before."

"Lucky you," she said nervously, hoping it was funny.

Ken feigned a smile then said, "I have trouble being serious, and you're not helping here."

"I'm sorry. I think I'm a little bit afraid. No. I'm not...afraid. I'm...nervous."

"Gee, I'm sitting over here with sweaty palms, and you're the one who's nervous?" he asked...nervously.

"Go ahead. I won't interrupt again," Valerie promised.

Ken looked down at his sweaty palms then looked up at Valerie.

"The thing is, Valerie."

Valerie's heart was racing which made no sense for a number of reasons and yet it was.

"Okay. Here's the deal. I almost never...ask women out. They just sort of let me know they're interested and then..."

"And then?" Valerie asked quietly.

"Well, then things get...busy. But that's what always leaves me...empty."

"And?" she asked with raised eyebrows.

"And...well, it's different with you. It's different because...I...really like you. A lot. And..."

Valerie forgot all about her promise and blurted out, "Then why didn't you just say so?"

"Well, I...because I thought maybe you...wouldn't take me seriously."

"Wait. You thought I wouldn't believe you?" she asked, not sure she heard correctly.

"I guess that's what I'm saying. I mean, you're this beautiful, successful veterinarian and I'm a blue-collar kind of guy and I'm...well, I'm not 43."

Ken shook his head then said, "Or even 40."

"Thirty-five?" Valerie asked hopefully.

Now Ken winced, and Valerie sat there just staring in disbelief.

"You...you are...30. Right?" she asked, her voice trailing off.

"I uh, I will be. In two years. Well, not quite two years, but more like..."

"Oh, my goodness. You're...28? As in...years old?" she asked, her eyes (and her mouth) open in disbelief.

"So that's the reason I didn't say anything, because as crazy as I am about you, I knew you wouldn't take me seriously, and I thought the whole 'thirsty' thing would be a good way to drop a hint and..."

Ken shook his head then said as he started to stand up, "So, maybe I really should, you know, get going."

"No. Wait," Valerie said.

Ken stopped, sat back down, and waited.

"I don't understand," she told him.

"I think I'm confused, too, and I'm the one who's talking," he told her with a nervous laugh.

Valerie tried to laugh but she was sitting there...shaking.

"Are you saying...are you telling me...you...you want to...I don't know. Go out with me or..."

She stopped then asked directly, "What exactly are you telling me, Ken?"

"Yes," Ken said as he tried to smile again. "All of that. Like I said, I don't normally ask women out. I don't even really...date. I can't remember the last time I had anything even close to a relationship other than the girl I mentioned who didn't care for Hank. But I've never met anyone like you before, Valerie, so this is kind of new to me."

He paused then told her, "I think that's why I'm not doing a very good job of saying it."

She sat there trying to make sense of his words, and it was obvious he was as nervous as she was.

"So you want to have a...relationship...with me?" she asked, her eyebrows raised high.

"Yes. I do. Very much so," Ken told her. "Is that...out of the question?"

"I...I don't know," Valerie told him so quietly he had to ask her to repeat it.

She did so then added, "Ken, it isn't so much that you're...28. It's more that I'm...43."

"Now I really don't understand," he told her. "If you're not overly concerned with my age, then what difference does yours make?"

He wasn't being sarcastic in any way. In fact, Valerie understood he was being completely serious.

"Ken. I'm forty-three years old. That's what difference it makes," she told him, following the advice her brain was screaming at her to share while ignoring what her heart was begging her to avoid even mentioning.

"I still don't understand," he told her. "Granted, that is a fact, but it's also a fact that you're a vet and a mom with a son and a whole bunch of other things. But so far, I like every single one of those things about you, Valerie. A lot. And that includes the fact of how old you are, which I can assure you doesn't mean a thing to me."

"You're right. I do have a son, and I...I can't just...hop into bed with you, or..."

Ken stood up, walked over to, and knelt down next to the chair she was sitting on.

"Valerie, that is the last thing I'm thinking of," he told her as he looked into her eyes.

Her heart had moved from racing into some kind of turbo drive as he looked at her from less than two feet away.

"Is that the last thing you're thinking of because I'm...so old?" she said, again trying to be funny but barely able to talk.

Ken smiled and reached out for her hand.

"No. It's not that...that...isn't something I'd be very interested in somewhere down the road. It's just that, you're the first woman I've wanted something more than just...that...with, and 'that' can wait as long as necessary because...I can't stop thinking about you or when I can see you again or..."

"Ken?" she said, interrupting him.

"Yes?" he asked thinking she was about to ask him to leave.

"Could you stop talking and...kiss me?" she said as her hands began to tremble and her stomach tied itself up in knots.

"Yes. I can definitely do that," he told her, the smile big and very real on his handsome face.

He leaned toward her and she did the same until their lips touched then pressed together. After maybe two seconds, he slowly pulled away when the sound of Jayden's voice caught Ken by surprise and caused his mother to make another yelping sound.

"Yes!" they both heard him say as the kiss was ending.

"Jayden Michael Eimann!" his mother called out as her heart slowly left her throat. "You have to stop doing that!"

"Sorry, Mom!" he said sheepishly while still smiling happily.

He kept right on smiling as he told his mother, "But you don't have to stop doing...that."

The smile on his face was happier than the one on Ken's, and Ken was very happy.

"I...I think that was more than enough," she told her son without looking at him.

She turned back around to Ken who was still smiling and quietly said, "For now, anyway."

"Now that I got my point across, maybe I really should go home," Ken told her.

"You only had one slice of pizza. Can't you at least stay until it's gone?" she asked, as her eyes darted back and forth between his.

"Well, I could probably eat another slice or...four," he told her.

Valerie couldn't remember the last time she'd felt so happy as Ken took her hand and helped her stand up.

The top of her head barely reached his chin, but as she stood there in front of him, all she wanted to do was hold him. Instead, she just smiled then suggested they go sit back down.

Valerie had eaten most of one slice, and couldn't touch another bite because her stomach was in knots. But between Ken and her son, the large pizza slowly disappeared until only a few crumbs remained with Hank getting to lick the bottom of the box.

They chatted politely through the rest of the meal, but it was obvious things had changed dramatically.

With the box empty and everyone full, Ken said again it was probably time to be going.

"I suppose you're right, but I wish you could stay," Valerie said, trying not to let her disappointment show.

"Me, too!" Jayden told him.

"I'll come back again tomorrow. If that's okay."

"You better," Valerie told him.

"I will. I promise. And we really need to get that backboard down soon."

"Yes. Unfortunately, you're right," Valerie agreed reluctantly.

The three of them walked to the door where Ken gave Jayden a big ol' bro hug, and told him he'd be back tomorrow after work.

"Awesome!" the boy said.

"Hey, maybe we could sell this backboard and buy one you can raise and lower on a pole. You know, the ones you can also move around? I know the HOA is okay with them."

"Oh, yeah! I've seen one of those a few streets over. Remember that, Mom? It's black and the whole thing lays down."

"Yes! I do remember. Hmm. Good idea," she said to Jayden as she looked up at Ken.

The two guys talked about the new idea for a couple of minutes while Valerie stood there and watched them interact. She wasn't absolutely certain, but it definitely seemed like Ken genuinely enjoyed spending time with her son, and that made her almost as happy as finding out how he felt. Of course, she still had no idea why he felt that way, but until she had reason to think otherwise, it was pretty wonderful believing he did.

"I'll be right back, okay?" Valerie told her son once Ken opened the door to leave.

"Okay," he replied, with a smile that said he expected more kissing.

Valerie walked out to Ken's truck with him while Hank ran to the grass to pee, then said, "I wish I knew why you said what you said tonight. I mean, I'm very happy you did. I just don't understand why you would. Say that."

Ken smiled and told her, "I said what I said because that's what I honestly feel."

"So I'm supposed to believe a gorgeous, 28-year old man has those kinds of feelings for me—a 43-year old woman—who has a son who's almost ten."

Ken gently put his hands on her shoulders then told her, "He's a big part of all this. I wouldn't have said the things I did if I didn't enjoy spending time with both of you."

"Okay," was all Valerie could come up with before Ken asked if she could help him get Hank up in the cab again.

"Oh. Yes. Of course."

Valerie helped the aging dog get in, then told Ken goodnight.

"Valerie?"

"Yes?"

"I meant what I said. Every word."

The only light was from a street lamp, but she was still watching his eyes as he spoke.

"Okay," she said again only in a softer, sweeter way.

Ken leaned down—way down—and softly kissed her again.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight," she said back to him as she stepped away.

Ken got in, started the truck, then waved and flashed his lights while Valerie waved back then wondered what in the name of heaven had just happened.

As she turned around, she saw a curtain fall shut near the front door and smiled.

"Well, at least I'm not panicking," she said to herself as she went back in to face her son where Jayden was smiling from ear to ear.

"So you're okay with...what you saw?" she asked him.

"Oh, yeah!" he told her before throwing his arms around her.

"Wow. This is very unexpected."

"I love you, Mom!" he told her as he squeezed her tight.

"I love you, too, Jay Bird."

Jayden didn't get the least bit upset over the name. He just let go and said, "I can't wait 'til Ken comes back!"

His mom smiled, but didn't say out loud what she was thinking which was, "Me, either."

The next morning, Valerie lay in bed feeling like the events of the evening before were almost surreal. By the time she got to work, the small amount of confidence she'd built up over possibly getting involved with someone so much younger had waned, and by lunchtime, she really was panicking.

"What's wrong?" Emma asked her when once they were alone.

"Oh, I don't know," Valerie said without looking at her.

"Listen. I'm well aware this is your practice and you're the boss. But I'd like to think I'm at least enough of a friend that you can talk to, so that's why I'm asking. And you know I won't say a word to anyone, right?"

Valerie looked over at her and sighed.

"Yes. I do know that, and thank you, Emma."

"So...what's going on?" the tech asked with genuine concern.

Valerie closed the door behind her then said, "You remember the um...rather attractive guy who came in with the Lab? The one with the collapsed trigeminal nerve?"

"Sure. Hank. And...Ken. He might just be the best-looking guy to ever come in here," Emma said with a laugh before adding, "no offense to my handsome husband."

Valerie laughed nervously then said, "Well. He um...he volunteered to come take down the backboard the HOA said..."

"Right. The one the HOA told you has to come down. I remember."

"Yes. So anyway, he came over, but instead of taking it down, he started playing basketball with Jayden."

"Oh, okay. No wonder you're so upset," Emma teased.

Valerie gave her the eye then smiled.

"No. Be serious," she said to Emma.

"Okay. I'm listening."

"So we all ended up playing then he offers to come back and play again the following evening. Of course, Jayden is completely 'jazzed' about it, so I agree."

"And?"

"So last night we had pizza. The three of us. At my house."

"That sounds...awful!" her younger employee said, trying not to laugh.

Valerie didn't bother giving her the eye, she just finished explaining.

"So after we ate, he and I were talking, and he...he tells me he...likes me. You know, as in 'he likes me' likes me."

The other girl put her hands over her mouth and said, "Okay. That's it. This just went from awful to...unconscionable!"

"Stop! Don't tease!" Valerie pleaded.

"Sorry. I just keep waiting for the bad news part, and it never comes. That's all."

"Oh, it gets worse. Trust me!" Valerie said.

Emma didn't say anything. She just stood there and listened.

"Anyway, he was hemming and hawing around, and it got kind of confusing. So he gets up and comes over to where I was sitting, and tells me again he...he has...feelings for me."

Emma started to speak, and Valerie said, "Oh, no. Don't you dare!"

Her assistant smiled then placed one hand on top of the other in front of her like a 'good girl' and didn't say a word.

"So after he finally spells it out—very clearly—he...he kissed me," Valerie explained without mentioning how she asked him to.

"I knew it! That...bastard!" she said in mock anger. "Are you okay? Should we call the police or maybe a lawyer?"

Valerie tried not to laugh but it came out anyway.

When she finally stopped she said, "And he kissed me again before he left, and I was so...confused but happy, and then this morning I was just...confused."

Valerie paused for a moment then said, "Oh. And the most important thing I didn't mention is, is that he's..."

"Married? Please don't say he's married. Please!"

"No. Oh, my gosh, no! No, he's not married. But he's...he's...28. As in...not even 30."

"That IS awful," Emma said, again trying not to laugh.

"How is that funny?" Valerie asked very seriously.

"Oh, I don't know. Let's see. He's single. He's gorgeous. He loves dogs. He has a really good job. He's gorgeous. He makes beautiful custom furniture. He's friendly. He's funny. He likes being with Jayden. Oh, did I mention he's...gorg..."

"Okay, okay! Yes, he's...very handsome, but he's...28!"

"I'd say 'so what', but obviously that matters to you. Unfortunately, I can't help you with that. All I can say is, 'Were I in your shoes—and single—oh how I'd love to have that kind of dilemma'."

Valerie made a snorting sound then said, "Gee, some friend you are."

She was clearly teasing, and once she smiled, she stepped closer and gave her employee and friend a hug.

"Thank you for listening," Valerie told her.

"Sure. And if I may, you should just...listen to your heart, okay? The worst that can happen is you might end up getting hurt, right?"

"No, the worst would be Jayden getting hurt," Valerie told her.

"Sorry. Yes, you're absolutely right. But it sounds like he enjoys being around your son. So once you're sure it isn't an act to get to you, then you can relax, right?"

"To get to me? Ha! I'm...43 years old! What 28-year old guy that attractive is going to put on act to get to...that?"

"Valerie?" she said, using her given name for the first time. "You're a very attractive woman. Everyone here knows it. Customers, male and female, mention it all the time, so give yourself a little credit. I can definitely see why he's attracted to you. You need to take a minute to realize what a great catch you are then maybe you'll see why he's so into you."

Valerie smiled then hugged her friend again.

"Thank you. You just made my day."

"And with any luck, this Ken guy of yours will make your...night," Emma teased, surprising her employer.

Valerie pulled back and gave her the look again.

"Well. Not...tonight, of course. Just...one of these days. Or...nights? Right?"

Valerie didn't answer, but for the first time she thought to herself that might not be such a bad thing. She even allowed herself to think it might even be possible—someday.

She no sooner finished talking with her assistant than her phone buzzed indicating a text. She had a very ill cat in Exam Room 1 and a puppy that needed shots in Exam Room 2, but when she saw it was from Ken, she stopped and read it

"Hi! I just had my first break all day, and I couldn't wait to text you. I had a truly amazing time last night, Valerie, and I'm really hoping there'll be many more just like it. I haven't stopped smiling all day, and you're the reason I am. As you noticed, I'm not the greatest communicator, and I'm even worse when it comes to writing. So if I don't always say the right thing, just know my heart is in the right place, and well, if you'll accept it, my heart is pretty much in your hands now. Ken."

A feeling of happiness washed over her from head to toe as she texted him back.

"Ken. Hi! I have two patients waiting on me, but your text just made my day! I had a wonderful time last night, too, and please don't worry about your heart, okay? I promise to take care of it—always (or for as long as you'll trust me with it.)

Ken? I can't wait to see you again! Valerie."

When she hit 'send', Valerie had a rush of emotion like she hadn't had since the first time a boy she liked asked her out. It washed over her like a pleasant, warm rain, and by the time she went in to see her next patient, she was enjoying the highest high she'd ever experienced.

Ken texted her again a couple of hours later to let her know a job was taking a lot longer than he'd anticipated and he might be late. Valerie let him know that was fine, and would be waiting for him whenever he got there.

As she was making dinner, the phone rang, and she smiled thinking it would be Ken. When she saw her ex-husband's name her good mood took a serious hit. Even so, she did her best to sound pleasant when she answered.

"Hey. How are you?" she said.

"Okay. I wanna talk to my son," he said cryptically the way he often did.