Holly's Secret

Story Info
Can you ever truly outrun your past?
17.6k words
4.77
14.9k
33
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Trionyx
Trionyx
1,160 Followers

"Hey, Billy, how was your Valentine's Day?"

"I hate Walentine's Day."

"Why do you say that?"

"I just do."

"Come here to Mommy and tell me about it. What happened?"

"We had to make hearts out of red paper an' write on them an' put them in everybody's bag. Ms. Smiff gave us the bags."

"And?"

"We went around an' put 'em in the bags but when Susie came to my desk, she looked at me but didn't give me a walentine."

"Are you sure she didn't just forget?"

"No! She looked right at me 'n' stuck out her tongue an' didn't put one in my bag."

"That wasn't very nice of her. Did you make her mad or something?"

"She never talks to me. She won't play wif me at recess."

"Well, Honey, sometimes people aren't very nice and we never know why. How about some Valentine's candy? Here, take three of these little hearts and go play with your toy soldiers. We'll have dinner after Daddy gets home, if he gets home, OK?"

"I guess..."

-----

Five Years Later...

"Alright, everybody, the weather's awful outside and we can't have PE in this weather."

"Cool. Let's do dodgeball," shouted one of the sixth-graders."

"No, today will be something special. Since it's Valentine's Day, Mr. Anderson and I are going to teach you how to dance!"

"Aww, no!" "Do we have to?" "That's no fun."

"Yes, you have to. We are going to teach you one of the simplest dances out there, the waltz. Now, listen to the basic beat:ONE two-three.ONE two-three. Got it? Now, listen to this music."

"Hear the same beat? Yes? Easy, isn't it? Now, we're going to teach you the steps which go with the music. Line up girls over here and boys there...OK, pair off, first girl with the first boy and on down the line."

A few seconds later a voice of protest was heard from the rear of the room.

"Yes, Sue, what is it?"

"Do I hafta dance with Billy?"

"It's Bill."

"I don't care what your name is, Stupid. Ms. Thompson, I don't wanna dance with Billy."

"Yes, Sue, you have to."

"I don't want his hands on me. I don't know what he's been doing with them! He probably doesn't wash 'em after the bathroom."

"I do, too!"

"You're icky."

"And you're a b..."

"Language, Bill, watch your language," the teacher interrupted.

"Ms. Thompson, I'm leaving. If she doesn't want to dance with me then she can dance with someone else."

"Bill, you don't get a choice in this. You stay right there."

"No, Ma'am."

"Then you take yourself to Vice Principal Wilson's office. He'll decide your punishment."

"Fine! She's the rude one and I get detention. Since I'm getting' detention, then I'm gonna say it. Sue, you're nothing but a bitch!"

"Bill!" screamed Ms. Thompson as he slammed the door closed behind him.

-----

Six Years Later...

OK, Seniors and juniors, listen up! crackled the intercom during homeroom, The Junior/Senior Valentine's Dance will be held next Friday here in the gym. We've got a live band called the Central City Cuties and it should be fun. Be sure to get your tickets from your student rep by next Tuesday.

Bill looked around thinking about who he'd invite. His eyes landed on Sue. She was a good-looking girl even though she wore glasses. He liked her long, wavy hair which hung down to her waist, her great figure and cute smile. He couldn't keep his eyes off her when she went outside at PE or when she led cheers at the games. He knew she was way out of his league and even though she had been rude to him in the past, he wondered if he should ask her. He had heard the rumor she'd broken up with her boyfriend.

Once homeroom was over, he got to the door right as she did. He surprised himself by suddenly turning to her. "Hey, uh, Sue, I hear you may not have a date to the Valentine's dance. Care to go with me?"

She looked at him with a barely hidden grimace. "You, Bill? You're inviting me to the dance?"

"Yeah, thought it'd be fun."

"Now why would I want to be seen with you? Your dad ditched you, your mom's a drunk and you have to work as a bagger at LowCostMart. You can't even get a real job at a regular store."

"What's that got to do with...?"

"Nah, it's not gonna be happening. I'd rather watch my fingernail polish dry than go to the dance with you."

Without saying anything, he turned away quickly hoping no one saw him get shot down. 'Still a bitch,' he muttered to himself.

Sue was right. His home life sucked. His dad had disappeared, probably with his secretary, years before and his mom turned to the bottle. If not for his neighbor Dan and his wife Louise, Bill would probably have been in a gang or sleeping on the streets. As it was, he did well in school and already had a full ride scholarship to the university.

On his way home, he decided to skip the Valentine's dance altogether. There was no sense in exposing himself to more ridicule, was there? Graduation was only three short months away and he couldn't wait until he was done with school and could go off to college in the fall. There he was sure he would meet plenty of new friends and be able to forget the misery of his childhood and mean girls like Sue. And once he left his hometown, he swore he would never ever visit or even talk about it again.

-----

Ten years later...

"Hey, Alex, coming to the party with us tonight?" asked Trevor.

"Party?"

"Yeah, Dummy, Valentine's party at the Canteen. Half-priced drinks until eight. Should be a lotta babes there for a confirmed bachelor like you to play around with."

"Ah, probably not. Valentine's isn't my thing."

"Valentine's is everybody's thing! Come on!"

"Nah, I'd rather not. I'm actually anti-Valentine's Day."

"I sense a story behind that. What, someone dump you then?"

"No, it just doesn't bring back good memories."

"OK, so you hate the theme but at least come with Kyle and me and be our wingman, please?"

"You'll owe me big."

"Name your price. I've already promised my first born to someone else," he laughed.

"How about a week at your family's cabin?"

"Sold! I'll set it up. But who will you take with you?"

"Maybe I'll go for a week of solitude just to get away from this pit of a city."

"Whatever, man, I'll set it up with my folks and the place is yours, at least until the summer rush. Now, let's get out of here; the babes are waiting."

Kyle, Trevor and Alex could hear music and laughter from over a block away. In front of the Canteen's door was a line of people waiting to get in. Alex mused at how cold some of the women must have been wearing their short dresses in the sub-freezing temperatures; he was cold enough himself.

"Shit, Trev, it's colder than all get out. I'm not waiting here freezing my butt off."

"Alex, we had a deal. You gotta stay. Let me go and talk with the door guy and see what the wait is."

Reluctantly, Alex stood there with Kyle while Trevor went to the front of the line. A few seconds later, it was as if the gates were opened and the line surged forward. Right as they got to the door, Trevor told them the doorman had been doing a headcount to make sure they didn't violate the fire code.

"We're golden. They'll let in another ten or so and after that they'll let in people only when someone leaves."

Inside, techno-pop music was blasting from all the speakers as the DJ tried to create a frenzy of enthusiasm with the clientele. Bodies gyrated on the packed dance floor, strobe lights flashed and most of the people seemed to be having a great time. Trevor led them through the crowd until he spotted a large table with only half the seats occupied. He leaned over one of the women at the table and spoke in her ear. She smiled and nodded, pointing to the empty seats.

"She says we can sit here. You guys grab your chairs and I'll get us a pitcher."

Alex sat down next to a cute blonde with short, curly hair. It was short on the sides leaving a mop of curls on top and exposing a remarkably attractive neck. 'Who knew necks could be so sexy?' he mused silently.

After he had glanced at her a few times, she turned to him, "I'm Holly. You?"

"Alex."

"You don't look too excited to be here."

"Nah, not my thing."

"What? The noise, the dancing, Valentine's? What?"

"Actually, all three but mainly Valentine's."

"That's too bad. Uh, why'd you even come?"

"I was talked into it. Trevor, the guy going for the suds, wanted a wingman."

"I don't get why you guys need wingmen. Just put yourselves out there and see what'll happen."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Hey, wanna have some fun? Let's you and me dance right away and make them realize their wingman hit it off first."

"Look, you don't have to do that..."

"Maybe I want to. Come on!"

She grabbed him by the hand and half-dragged him to the packed dance floor. Once there, she let his hand go and started to gyrate in time with the music in front of him. He marveled at how attractive she was. Her Lucille Ball hairdo was kind of retro but it exposed her remarkably attractive neck. She had blue eyes and a cute dimpled smile. Although her clothes were fairly bulky, he could tell she probably had a decent figure. He was able to dance with her without totally embarrassing himself and when the music slowed, she reached out to him.

They came together holding each other loosely in their arms and though they were closer, the music was still too loud to talk. At the end of the slow tune, she took his hand and led him back to the table. There Trevor and Kyle were talking to the other two women. Trevor looked up at Alex with a small 'told you so' grin before he turned his attention back to the conversation.

Holly, turning her back on her friends, looked Alex in the eye. "Now, you and I can get to know each other, OK?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"So, here's my elevator intro."

"Elevator intro?"

"Yeah, I tell you everything important in the time it takes the elevator to get to the first stop. Has to be quick."

"OK, shoot."

"Like I said, I'm Holly, twenty-eight years old, single, grew up in the Midwest, studied systems analysis at Geyser College and now work with Friedman Analytics."

"Ding!"

"Ding? What was that for?"

"The elevator is stopping on the third floor."

"Oh, you silly," she laughed, "Now it's your turn."

"Nope, you got out of the elevator and I'm headed up to the fifth floor."

"Come on, play along with me on this."

"OK, Alex, also single, also twenty-eight, also a product of the Midwest, went to Downstate U in computer engineering and work for a tiny start-up."

"So, some common things, eh?"

"Hey, Holly," shouted one of the other two women, "Quit ignoring us and join the conversation."

For the next hour or so the six of them sat talking, drinking, laughing and having a good time. When the women made motions to leave, Trevor was able to get the phone number of the black-haired beauty he was sitting next to. Alex merely told Holly 'Good night' and didn't seem to pick up on her slightly disappointed frown.

He was getting tired and soon excused himself to the teasing of his buddies. After grabbing a gig ride home, he crashed into bed knowing morning was coming soon and he had an early mandatory conference at work. As he was drifting off to sleep, he thought about Holly and how cute and friendly she was. 'Damn it, should've gotten her number,' he berated himself. 'Oh, well, yet another fucked up Valentine's Day.'

-----

Alex was surprised to get a call from Trevor the following week.

"Hello?"

"Alex, my man, have I got news for you."

"Yeah?"

"Krissy, the lady I got the number from, and I went out last night."

"And that's news how? You get lucky or something?"

"Well, now that you mention it, no, I didn't get lucky, but that's not the news."

"Whoa, let me sit down. Mr. Love-'em-and-leave-'em didn't get lucky! But that is news."

"Yeah, maybe, but Krissy is a class act. I'm thinkin' she might be worth waiting for."

"No! You can't be serious. Do I hear wedding bells?"

"No, Shitface, but she's nice, really nice and I think I might want to invest some time in her. Anyway, that's not the news."

"OK, I'll bite. What's the news?"

"It seems the little curly-haired blonde liked you and was a little put out you didn't ask her out."

"This Krissy tell you that?"

"Uh-huh. What're you gonna do about it?"

"Since I don't know how to get ahold of her, nothing."

"Ah, but I do. I happen to have her number courtesy of Krissy. I was instructed to give it to you."

"Look, uh, thanks but no thanks. I can do my own thing just fine."

"Bull shit! You dropped the ball big time, Bro. I can save your ass and maybe you can get some, too."

"And if I don't take the number...?"

"I'll lose out on Krissy. I practically promised her, no, I did promise her you'd call her BFF for a date. And if you don't, I'll be pissed 'cause it'll mean I might lose out on my raven-haired beauty. And I might renege on the cabin."

"You know, that's blackmail, pure and simple."

"Uh-huh, it is and I'll freely admit it. Look, take the number, give her a call and take her out at least once. If you do, I'm sure I'll make serious headway with Krissy. OK?"

"Oh, alright," Alex answered while silently smiling. 'I've got the number,' he thought gleefully.

-----

Two nights later he drank a stiff slug of scotch and dialed Holly's number.

"Hello."

"Hi, Alex here. Is this Holly?"

"Yes. Hi, Alex. What's up?"

"I'm calling to confess two things."

"Two?"

"Yeah. First, I'm confessing I regretted not asking for your number on Valentine's."

"And the second?"

"Trevor made me promise to call you so he'd have a chance with Krissy but after he gave me your number, I confess I was doing some fist pumps."

"So, you're calling me because you want to, right?"

"Yeah, but I'd never admit it to Trevor. He'd never let me hear the end of it."

"Well, we've established you're calling because you want to. What do you want to talk about?"

"Getting together? Interested?"

"Hmm, maybe. What'd you have in mind?"

"How about we go someplace we can get to know each other without our eardrums being assaulted? Stefano's is nice and quiet. Ever been there?"

"No, but I hear it is nice. When were you thinking?"

"Up to you. Weeknight or weekend is fine by me. I doubt we'd be out too late."

"How about tomorrow? I can meet you there around seven. OK?"

"Yeah, great. Sure you don't want me to pick you up?"

"No, I'll take a gig ride there and that way if you piss me off, I won't have to rely on you getting me home," she laughed.

"I'll do my best to avoid it," he laughed with her, "So, seven at Stefano's. Looking forward to it."

"Me, too."

-----

Alex was about ten minutes early wanting to be there for when she arrived. A prior girlfriend of his had told him how nerve wracking and embarrassing it is for a woman to be alone at a restaurant or bar waiting for a guy so he wanted to be there to greet her. A few minutes before seven a small sedan pulled up, the door opened and out climbed Holly. Her curly hair gave her an almost pixie-like look but he knew from his conversation with her she was all woman, all grown up. Her beautiful legs certainly let the world know she was all grown up as well. She came up to him and accepted a tiny side hug.

"Hi, there. Been waiting long?"

"Nope, just a couple of minutes."

"Place looks fancy."

"Yeah, but it's worth it. Stefano took this old mansion and converted it to a wonderful, relaxing place to sit and talk, have snacks and drinks. Hope you like classical music."

"I do. Why?"

"It's all he allows on the sound system."

"Great. Let's."

Inside they were ushered to a room which could well have been a bedroom in the past. There were three small seating arrangements, all of which were empty. They chose a couple of comfortable chairs beside a small table. The usher took her coat, handed them a menu of their specialty cocktails and snacks and told them their waitress would be in soon.

"Pretty nice, so far," she smiled, "You come here often?"

"Oh, every few months, maybe. I like coming on slow week nights to relax, maybe read a little and enjoy the music and the atmosphere."

"Nice way to dodge the real question: Been here with a woman before?" she teased.

"Once, no, twice, I guess. First one was a dud. Hated classical music. Turned out she was into some pretty weird stuff so I consider Stefano's to have saved me time and money in the long run."

"And the other?"

"You trying to get my dating history?" he chuckled.

"Yeah, then I'll give you mine. Fair enough?"

"Sure. The other one was a nice lady from work, that is she was here from an investment firm looking to buy our startup. My boss was thinking of selling and wanted me to wine and dine her a little."

"How'd the evening turn out?"

"Was pretty boring. All she wanted to do was talk money and computers. I dropped her off at her hotel and three days later we were told her venture capital firm dropped us. Turns out my boss was tickled. He didn't like her at all."

"So, you continue to dodge the big question about your past love life but that's OK. I'll get it out of you soon enough," she laughed.

As he laughed with her, Alex decided to turn the tables. "Well, what about you? Any skeletons in your dating closet?"

"A few, but I've been pretty selective. Honestly, I'm not into casual hookups and that seems to be a limiting factor for a woman's social life nowadays."

"You know, I'm kinda glad to hear it. I personally much prefer to get to know someone before taking that big step. But," he grinned at her, "You've avoided the question all together."

"OK. Serious boyfriends? I've had three, all since high school. You?"

"Three, no, three and a half for me."

"And how do you have half a girlfriend?"

"I thought she was my girlfriend but it turns out I was only one of two she was seeing at the same time."

"Ouch. That sucks!"

"Yeah, tell me about it. She was the most recent one and is part of the reason why I'm pretty cautious when it comes to women."

"So cautious you won't even ask for a phone number," she laughed.

"Yeah, maybe. But I did kick myself when I got home that night. Luckily Krissy and Trevor came to my rescue."

"Maybe to mine, as well."

"Uh, folks, I'm Melissa and will be your server tonight. Have you had a chance to look at the menus?"

"Oh, sorry, Melissa, no, we haven't. We've been too busy chatting. Give us two minutes, OK?"

They each decided on wine and agreed to split a bottle of chardonnay and two small plates of appys. After they were served, they toasted silently before digging into the food.

At a pause between bites, Alex asked, "What is a systems analyst, anyway and how did you get into the field?"

"At Geyser they emphasize engineering and I realized fairly quickly I didn't have the desire or interest in all the required math. My career counselor suggested I look into SA. I enjoyed it and made it my major. So, basically our job is to look at systems, you know, like a big factory, and figure out how to make things work better, flow smoother."

"Sounds like the CEO might want to squeeze more work out of fewer people, if you ask me."

"That's a legitimate thought but usually people are far happier if they can be more productive and not waste so much time. Ah, let me give you an example. Say a factory worker has to walk twenty-five steps between task A and task B and has to do it three times an hour. It's around twelve hundred wasted steps a day..."

"And you just told me you weren't too keen on math," he chuckled.

"I can do simple math; it was all the fancy calculus and differential equations which threw me. Anyway, if we can figure out ways to make the worker's life smoother and more efficient and spread it out through the entire organization, some amazing things can happen. Sorry, did I bore you with all this?"

Trionyx
Trionyx
1,160 Followers