Homewrecker Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That won't be enough." Gwen said. "Even if your fantastic fabrication was true, I can punch so many holes through it with reasonable doubt that your new nickname will be 'Swiss Cheese Crowbar'."

I smiled. "Touché! You made a funny. Very cute. But I'm willing to take my chances." I turned to Paulina and said "Ready to go back into I-1?"

"Go ahead." said Gwen. "I'm going to tell my clients to invoke, then head on over to Judge Nance's office..." I got up before she could have Deborah take the Fifth, and moved quickly to the door. Paulina was quickly following.

"Come along, Ms. Munson, come along." I said at the door. Gwen and Paulina followed me back into the anteroom and to the door to Interrogation-1. When we went into the room, I actually got to hear Gwen gasp in shock when she saw that Bart Bell was sitting at the table!

"I need to talk to my client alone." said Gwen Munson.

"I'm sure you do." I replied...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What do you think I should offer them?" asked Paulina in the breakroom.

"Bart Bell is innocent." I said. "We're holding him as a material witness right now, though we could put some pressure on him with a 'lying to Police' charge. We just need to get him to admit something that will bury Deborah. Obviously we can't give Dawson a thing; after all, he slit a woman's throat in cold blood. Deborah? I really want her to do some serious, hard time, but if she'll confess all and throw Dawson under the bus, we'll have to give her something."

"Twenty years, no parole?" Paulina said. "That's the best we'd do, anyway, unless you can show she actually participated in some way, like holding Beryl's arms while Darryl slit her throat."

"Let's play it by ear." I said. "First, we have to separate Bart Bell from Gwen Munson. Fortunately, I have a way to do that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After ten more minutes, Gwen Munson called us back into I-1. One look at her and Bart's faces, and I could tell that they'd been arguing.

"Tell him." said Gwen. "You have to state that you're invoking. Tell him."

When Bart hesitated for several seconds, I said "Before you do, Bart, let me say this to you. Do you remember who your ex-wife's attorney was? Who went to the State Medical Board to get your license revoked? And we wonder if those so-called friends that got you to talk about Terry Schultz and then said you threatened her were actually sent to goad you into talking, then reported it to that attorney? Wonder who sent them. Who was that attorney for your ex-wife?"

"It was... it... was..." Bell said, then suddenly jumped up as if he were sitting next to a rattlesnake (which was true, but I digress). "It was YOU!" he gasped. "You were my ex-wife's attorney!"

"You bastard." Gwen said to me. "You've destroyed your entire case now."

"Not at all." said Paulina. "He didn't tell Mr. Bell who his ex-wife's attorney was, he just asked the question."

"Get out!" yelled Bart Bell at Gwen Munson, pointing at the (jail side) door. "Get out of here!" He turned to us and said "She is no longer my attorney! Get her out of here!"

"You heard the man." said Paulina to Gwen. "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

"Go talk to your other clients." I said. "Mr. Rudistan, will you escort Ms. Munson to some place that is not this room?" Rudistan looked very jovial as he moved forward, but Munson got the message. She got up and left in a huff through the door Rudistan had opened for her.

"Do you want another attorney, Mr. Bell?" I asked, to keep things legally tidy.

"No, but I'll ask for one if I think I need one again." said Bell. "So.. .where do we go from here?"

"Fortunately for you, Mr. Bell, and for the second time in your life, I was not fooled." I said, "In this case, I saw through Deborah Wilkins's antics. So tell me, you and she were lovers?"

"Yes." said Bell. "As I told you before, we became a couple."

"Just one question, Mr. Bell." I said. "We asked if you stayed the entire night with Deborah. What I failed to ask was this: was Deborah with you in her room the entire night?"

"No." said Bart Bell. "We went up to her room around 10:40 or so. She let me in, then said she was going to check on something, and for me to get ready for bed. So I took a shower and got into bed. She came back in around 11:30, and got into bed with me and we had sex."

"Did she leave again at any time during the night?" I asked.

"I don't think so." said Bell. "But I slept pretty heavily."

I nodded. "Once again, you are incredibly lucky, Mr. Bell. She could've scooped out some of your semen from her vagina, gone to Suite 802, and inserted your essence into Beryl Angel's vagina, and it would've been very, very bad for you. But she couldn't go into Suite 802 again without using the room key. We'd have seen that."

"But... why would Deborah do that?" Bart Bell asked. "Why would she do that to me?"

"Bart," I said, "this won't be easy to hear, but Deborah Wilkins was playing you for a fool, and she was setting you up to take the fall for the murder of Beryl Angel. She has been having an sexual affair with a Midtown lawyer named Darryl Dawson."

"Dawson?" Bell gasped. Then he thought about it and said "That goddamned cad! Yeah, I've seen him talking to Deborah. I didn't think anything of it..."

"Bart, I need your statement, and you'll be called to testify against Deborah during her trial." I said. "You do that, and all charges against you will be dropped."

Bart nodded, then said "Well, I guess I'm out of a job again."

I said "Don't sweat it. I'm going to give your name to Ashton Cardigan, who is an FBI Special Agent In Charge in the City. He could use a good speech analyst, which as a speech therapist you should be able to do. I can't guarantee he'll hire you, but he'll talk to you since I asked him to." I passed a card across the table to Bart Bell.

"Oh man..." said Bell, picking up the card as if it were made of gold. "Uh.. thanks!" he finally gasped.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Before we could go back to talk to Deborah Wilkins, Gwen Munson met us in the anteroom. I made a mental note to have a 'conversation' with some Officers about the lack of security that allowed her to get in there.

"I want to talk to you." Munson said. I invited her to the Main Conference Room, and asked the Chief to join us.

"Okay, what do you want?" Gwen asked sullenly. "What kind of deal will you offer Deborah Wilkins in exchange for her cooperation?"

"In exchange for her full confession, and of course her testimony against Dawson?" I replied. "What do you suggest, Ms. Patterson?"

"Twenty years, no possibility of parole." Paulina said. "For aiding and abetting first degree murder, accessory after the fact for helping Dawson escape, as well as conspiracy to commit first degree murder."


"Fifteen with possibility of parole, for conspiracy." replied Gwen.

"My offer wasn't the starting point of a negotiation." said Paulina severely. "It was my 'final offer'. Take it or leave it." I inwardly smiled at Paulina's Crowbar-'ish' way of dealing with Munson.

"What about Darryl?" asked Gwen. "What will you offer him?"

"Not a damn thing." I said flatly. "He slit a woman's throat open with no more compunction than if he were swatting a fly. I guess you can offer him death off the table."

"Yeah, life without parole, but death off the table." said Paulina.

As Munson went to talk to Deborah, Paulina asked me "Don, why did you offer to help Bart Bell? It was above and beyond anything for his cooperation, and quite frankly, he doesn't really deserve it."

"I dunno." I said. "No, I don't owe him a thing, but if it helps the FBI to hire him, then it's a win-win for everyone."

"And you didn't like them setting him up like they tried to doooooo." said the Chief.

"To be candid, Chief," I replied, "Bart Bell was pretty stupid not to see that coming. Which is why they chose him as their patsy, of course. He is not the brightest bulb in the string."

"Not when you're in the string, and plugged in." Paulina said with a flirtatious smile. If she keeps that up, I thought to myself, Tasha might be getting a brother or a sister...

Part 20 - Cleanup on Aisle 5 (the Solution)

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, November 18th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with City Hall in the background. "Channel Two News has learned that the U.S. Department of Justice has filed a civil rights lawsuit against Mayor Daniel Allgood!"

Bettina began: "US DOJ Civil Rights attorney Jocelyn Moran has announced that Mayor Allgood has been sued in a civil action for using his Mayor's Office to systematically discriminate against blacks in the Town & County! Among the list of accusations are the Mayor using the Police to arrest and charge the Town & County Council's only black member, Reginald B.F. Lewis, merely for speaking his truth at Council meetings. The Mayor's Office released a statement saying that Mayor Allgood will vigorously fight these charges, and there will be no negotiated settlement."

Bettina: "And Channel Two News has learned that an arrest has been made in a murder that occurred last Friday at the Hyatt Hotel. Darryl Dawson, a Midtown lawyer, was arrested by Police and charged with the murder of Beverly DeAngelo of Southport. His arraignment is this morning."

Bettina: "And there are more early entries into the political races for next November! Deputy District Attorney Hannah Doss has announced she is running for the Magistrate Court judgeship after current Magistrate Judge Margaret Sullivan announced her retirement from the position. And political experts were surprised when wealthy banker J.P. Goldman announced he would run again for his seat on the Town & County Council, in spite of rumors that he is in deteriorating health..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Surprisingly understated report, there." said Cindy Ross as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Which part?" asked Teresa.

"All of it, now that you mention it." Cindy said. "I was referring to the US DOJ attack on Daniel Allgood."

"Admirably exact wording, there, Green Crowbar." I said. "Yes, it's an attack on the Mayor."

"I'm pissed." said Tanya. "They didn't mention the ice cream party the Police is getting." We all laughed.

Tanya had ordered those glass-doored ice cream freezers to be installed at Headquarters and the two Precincts, with large tubs of ice cream. She had asked Teresa to direct the Precinct Captains to assign Officers to dispense the ice cream so that every Officer got one bowl of ice cream, and there was enough for all three shifts to be served. She'd also had the Detectives of MCD, Vice, and Intel order their favorite flavor, and each Detective would get a full quart of that flavor of ice cream.

"The University runs a Dairy department, and they run a store selling milk and ice cream." said Tanya. "Literally one fifth the price of ice cream in the stores, and in m opinion it's as good or better than the store brands. Laura placed the order for me, and we picked it up this morning."

"Cool beans." I said. "Literally, as in vanilla beans made into cool vanilla ice cream." My poor joke received groans.

"Lieutenant Davis was right." Teresa said. "The jokes aren't getting any better."

"Bettina also understated the murder case." I said. "Word I got is that the Journalism Executives Conference at the University had visitors... from MegaTech. Amazing how journalists will work with the corporate elites of the Big Boyz companies to suppress news like that."

"Can't have their Golden Boy besmirched." Teresa said. "And Elliot Sanders is just that. Bettina also didn't mention the law firm Dawson was a partner in. I wonder why." Sarcasm was just dripping from the Iron Wolf's potty mouth this morning, I noted.

I said "I got word that several MegaTech employees called various news outlets, saying they had details of the story on condition of anonymity. And KXTC told them outright that they didn't want to hear it and wouldn't report it. Maybe KFXU will." In case you're wondering, my 'source' for that was the Executive Publisher and Editor-In-Chief of the Town & County Examiner, Alison McFarland.

"I wonder how Miriam Walters feels about Hannah Doss running for the Magistrate Court post." said Tanya. "Especially after Franklin Washington has announced his candidacy for Harry Nance's gavel."

"I don't knowwwww how she feels about that," drawled Chief Sean Moynahan, "but she was not very happy that you, Mr. Crowbar, just grabbed Paulina for the DeAngelo murder case instead of going through her, Miriammmm."

"She'll get over it after the successful prosecution she and Paulina are about to hit Darryl Dawson with." I said. "And I would've demanded she assign Paulina anyway. Paulina has learned to work with me and roll with my interrogations and such. I don't have time to teach Savannah Fineman one baby-step at a time."

"Hell," Cindy said, "Don had MY head swimming when he connected all those dots. No way Savannah Fineman could've followed along... and don't you say it!" she admonished as she whirled to look at Teresa.

"Say what?" Teresa replied with feigned innocence. "I wasn't going to say a thing... about airhead blondes." Tanya and I were working hard to suppress laughs, and failing, and Our Sheriff's mustaches were quivering most merrily.

"And Mr. Crowbar," the Chief said, "Chief Soltis called to tell me he appreciated your email with its glowing praise of his Detectives that assisted you in Midd-townnn."

"And very truthful praise, sir." I said. "And even more praise is coming to your Detective Corps, Chief, Captain Perlman. They did a really righteous job this weekend."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome!" said Catrina Pierce. "As always, we are glad you joined us for Fox University Sunrise. I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith!"

"Good morning, Catrina." said Meredith. "We've had an exciting weekend, and here's what's happening. The Town & County Police arrested Darryl Dawson, an attorney with the firm Prodder, Ryder & Reems, P.C., for the murder of socialite Beverly DeAngelo at the Hyatt Hotel late Thursday night. Ms. DeAngelo was the niece of Jimmy 'The Creek' DeAngelo, who runs two paddlewheel cruise boats out of the Dagny Piers docks in Southport."

Catrina: "MegaTech Industries was holding a conference at the Hyatt, and Darryl Dawson was often hired by MegaTech as a lobbyist. MegaTech Events Coordinator Deborah Wilkins was also arrested by the Town & County Police, and sources tell Fox Eight News that she turned State's evidence against Dawson. Dawson had dated Ms. DeAngelo in the past, and jealousy is believed to be the motive for the murder."

Meredith: "Commander Donald Troy issued a statement exclusively to Channel Eight News, praising the new Intelligence Division of the TCPD, which was funded by a grant from mysterious donor 'R.C. Christian', for its role in developing leads for the Police Force's Detectives to follow. He also praised the Detectives, led by Captain Tanya Perlman, and he stated his appreciation of the assistance of Midtown Police Chief Frank Soltis and his Special Investigations Team for their assistance with the case."

Catrina: "And Police Chief Sean Moynahan issued a statement praising Commander Donald Troy and Assistant District Attorney Paulina Patterson for putting together an ironclad case and bringing the alleged killers to Justice."

Meredith: "And in other news, Mayor Daniel Allgood has been sued by the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division for allegedly racially discriminating against black Town & County Council Member Reginald B.F. Lewis during Council meetings. The charges were brought by USDOJ Civil Rights official Jocelyn Moran, who in the past has been accused of using her position to shake down corporations by threatening them with civil rights lawsuits and demanding large financial settlements. In a related story, Mayor Daniel Allgood says he intends to fight the USDOJ in Court, and will not even consider a negotiated settlement."

Catrina: "And the District Attorney's Office, having already seen ADA Franklin Washington announce his candidacy for Superior Court Judge against incumbent Harry Nance, is now learning that DDA Hannah Doss is running for the Magistrate Judge position..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am, Monday, November 18th. In lieu of an Angels Meeting, the Detectives and Intel people were treated to their ice cream party in Classroom 'J'. Schoolroom desks were the seats, so that people had a desk to take notes and eat ice cream. The Chief and I sat up front, chatting as everyone trickled in and found seats. Astute observers noticed that there were two blue crowbars on my desk.

*DING!* *DING!* *DING!* *DING!* *DING!* *DING!* *DING!* *DING!*

I observed and deduced that Cindy Ross had brought in the bell used for the Police Boxing Matches, and blasted us with it. Subtlety was not a strong suit of the Green Crowbar, I surmised.

"It is time for Commander Troy to tell us how he put this puzzle together." Cindy announced. Laughter and cheers and applause broke out, and suddenly everyone was on their feet, giving Your Iron Crowbar a standing ovation, including the Chief. I admit to being touched by it.

I stood up, and as the applause died down and everyone took their seats I said "Thank you for that. But all of you deserve that applause. It was a Team effort. So give yourselves a round of applause." I began clapping, and everyone joined in.

"Okay, I see that Captain Perlman brought enough ice cream for everyone in the class." I said. Everyone laughed and cheered some more.

"Quit stalling." said Cindy Ross. Patience was not a strong suit of the Green Crowbar, either, I noted.

"Oh, I've got more stalling to do." I said, picking up the two blue crowbars. "As promised, I'm giving one crowbar to the Detective who was closest to the answer... who put me on the right track. But first, the other one. Would Vice Officer Laurer come up?"

Joan Laurer looked surprised, but came up to the front. As I held out the blue crowbar, I said "You made some great observations, Ms. Laurer. But this is more an investment into your future. I expect you to do great things with this Police Force... as you grow into this crowbar."

"Thank you, sir." said Joan. She accepted the crowbar as everyone applauded, then quickly went and sat back down.

I then said "The crowbar for the winner goes to... Commander Teresa Croyle."

"Yay me!" Teresa said loudly. "What did I say?"

"Come get this, first." I said. You have to take it at least for this meeting, Commander." I saw something of a tiny sparkle in Teresa's eyes as she got up and came forward and took the crowbar, then sit back down as everyone applauded.

"What Commander Croyle said," I said, sitting down in a wood, high-backed chair on the podium and beginning my lecture, "was while we were talking about why Gwen Munson had come up to defend Deborah Wilkins. She said that maybe MegaTech had just dialed a Prodder, Ryder & Reems attorney because they were familiar with that law firm."

"Later on, the significance of that hit me." I said. "Elliot Sanders always has attorneys near him, and in this case would have a familiar Prodder, Ryder & Reems attorney nearby, at the conference. And who was that attorney, who was MegaTech's lobbyist for our State Legislature? By curious coincidence, it was likely one of the names on our suspect list: Darryl Dawson."

"We had all these different angles." I said. "The Mob angle. The MegaTech angle. The 'Homewrecker' angle. And they all played a part. But because of what Commander Croyle had said, I realized that I could speculatively put one suspect at the scene at the time of the murder: Darryl Dawson. The others had no reason to be there, except Bart Bell, and I'll get to him in a minute."