Hot Wives Investment Club Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I couldn't stay and take Britt to dinner though, and she understood: I had to go back to Town for the Election results...

Part 15 - Election Night

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redhead reporterette into her microphone from outside City Hall. She was dressed up, showing just a bit more cleavage, wearing just a bit of extra jewelry, her hair made up just a bit more, as if the news she was reporting was a really big deal... oh yeah, it really was a really big deal.

"It's 7:01pm and the polls are just closing in the County." Bettina reported. "At this time we can announce that Channel Two News projects the winner of the Sheriff's election will be Lieutenant Daniel Allgood of the Town & County Police Force!"

A cheer erupted in our room. We were in Daniel's hotel suite near the top of the University Hotel, and one of the ballrooms on the first floor had been rented for the victory party. John Cummings had rented rooms on the other end of the Hotel. Katherine Woodburn was at the Hyatt Hotel north of Town. In our room was Daniel and Melina, myself and Laura, Chief Griswold and his wife, and Martin Nash and Sandra Speer. Others would be coming in within the hour.

"Congratulations, Boss." I said, shaking Daniel's hand.

"Hey, this was all your doing, buddy." he replied.

"Yeah," I said in mock fear, "I dragged you into this, and now you'll be taking it out on me." Daniel and the Chief laughed heartily.

"Hmmm," said Melina, who was sitting next to Laura on the sofa next to ours. "So my husband is now my ex-hubby's boss." She rubbed her hands together as she cackled "Moohahahahaha!" The gleam in her eye was one I knew well from eight years of marriage to her, and I knew it required a retaliatory response.

"Yes, my dear," I replied, "but my wife is your boss, not to mention big sister, and I might can't kick your ass, but she can."

"I'm staying out of this one." said Laura, getting up to hug Daniel. "Congratulations, Daniel."

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. Mrs. Griswold opened it and was almost knocked down as John 'Jack' Colby burst into the room.

"You got the news on?" Colby said breathlessly. We all turned to the TV as Colby said "Nance is holding the polls open, but only in the black districts!"

"This is KXTC Channel Two News with a breaking story!" cried out Bettina. "Let's go straight to Brian Jennings. Brian, whaddya got?"

Brian Jennings, who was in reality within sight of Bettina on the other end of Courthouse Square, came onto the screen. His hair was brown-black, slightly graying at the edges. He tried to look distinguished in his suit, but came across as if he was looking down his long nose at you. His voice was condescending, and he talked as if he were better than you, knew more than you did, and wanted to make sure you knew that his word was your gospel.

Jennings began his report. "Bettina, I'm here at the Courthouse, where Superior Court Judge Harry 'Spud' Nance has just granted a motion to keep the polls in the Town's 2nd and 3d Districts, and only those districts, open for at least one more hour. The NAACP had filed a request with the Court, saying technical glitches had caused voting problems in the primarily Black districts, and that Black voters were being disenfranchised of their voting rights."

"That's a load of horse shit!" exclaimed the very red-faced Jack Colby as the rest of us watched.

Jennings continued, "Lawyers for John Cummings' State Senate Campaign have appealed to both the State Appellate Court and the Federal Court. The State Appellate Court has flatly denied the Cummings Campaign appeal, stating that this election is about more than just his race, and the County Republicans have not yet joined the Cummings Campaign appeal. The Federal Court has not yet ruled either way, waiting to hear what the County Republican Party wants to do about it. Meanwhile, both parties are complaining of harassment of their poll watchers at several polling stations, and lawyers for both parties are gearing up for legal challenges. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Don," said Jack Colby, his baritone voice quivering with anger, but also fear, "you gotta do something. They're flat out trying to steal the election from John Cummings. It's neck-and-neck, and I mean it literally when I say that a dozen votes might decide that thing."

"Mr. Colby," I said quietly, "what would you have me do? I'm a police officer, not a poll watcher."

"You can go down to City Hall, where they're counting the ballots." said Colby. "Watch and make sure they're not cheating."

I sighed. "Mr. Colby," I said, "not even Chief Griswold or the Mayor can go into there without a warrant. I'm serious. It's sealed off. If I were to go in there without a warrant, I'd be arrested myself. You're the one who has to lead this fight; my hands are tied, and all the more so because I'm a cop."

"And you predicted this would happen, too." said Colby, remembering. "Did you talk to the Elections people?"

"I sure did." I said. "But there's nothing more I can do, but wait and watch like everyone else. You might want to talk to D.A. Krasney."

"Well, I guess I better go see what I can do." said Colby. "Oh, congratulations, Daniel!" he said, striding up to Daniel and quickly shaking his hand.

"And you,too, Councilman Colby." said Daniel, but it was practically to Colby's back as he hurried out.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thirty minutes later, I was admitted to the suite of John Cummings by his cousin Joanne Cummings, who happened to be one of my Detectives. I found a room alive with a low hum of chatter, anxious but not yet frantic.

"Hi, John." I said, stepping up to Cummings and shaking his hand. He looked depressed.

"Hi Don." he said. "I was going to try to pop over and congratulate your brother-in-law on his Sheriff win, then this came up."

"How's it looking?" I asked.

"Bad." said a voice behind me. Then Cummings' campaign manager came into my sight. "It's going to be at least midnight, but it looked like we'd win by about 200 votes out of 70,000 or so cast in the County. But this corrupt judge is going to steal the election for Woodburn!" His face was red with anger.

"Don, anything you can do? Oh... here, sit down by me." John Cummings said, his voice an open plea. Joanne Cummings was watching, almost forgetting to breathe.

"I'm afraid not." I said, sitting down to Cummings's left side. "It's in the hands of the lawyers and the Courts now, no matter who wins." I then sat down next to Cummings and said in a voice only he could hear. "John, even if you win the vote count, they'll find a way for Woodburn to win in the recount, or they'll find away to disallow some of your votes. The Democrats' lawyers are already laying the groundwork for it."

"Why? Why can't they just let the People decide by the vote?" Cummings asked, his voice exasperated. "ANDREW!" he called out.

A handsome man in an expensive suit strode up. "Oh, Andrew, this is Police Commander Donald Troy. Don, this is Andrew Cardigan, who is heading my legal team."

"Good to meet you, Commander." Cardigan said. "Can I have a moment with Mr. Cummings?"

"You can speak in front of Don." said Cummings. The lawyer did not look happy about it, but acquiesced, sitting down on Cummings' other side.

"We're trying to get in touch with the County Republican office." Cardigan said. "They're saying they're busy, running around like chickens with their heads cut off and will get back to us. To be honest, John, I don't think they're going to call us back."

"I can understand the Democrats, but why are the Republicans not helping me?" said Cummings. Cardigan looked at me.

"Because you're a Conservative, Mr. Cummings." I replied. "The Republicans hate Conservatives like you more than anything else. They'd rather the Democrat win than a true Conservative win." The look of shock on not only the two men's faces, but of everyone else who had heard my words, would've been priceless if it weren't for the open pain on their faces as they realized the truth of my words.

I also knew I wasn't too popular in that room at the moment. My cell phone saved me by ringing loudly. I took the call, which was from Laura, ordering me back to Daniel's rooms.

"Gentlemen, if you'll excuse me," I said, "I'll see what I can do on my end, and let you guys get back to work."

"If you go down to Republican Headquarters with your crowbar, it might help." said Cardigan.

"If I do that, Mr. Cardigan," I said, "I'll be indicted for murder tomorrow morning. I'm as mad as you about this. Good luck to you." I exited the room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When I got back to Daniel's suite, I found the room chock-full of people, and it was loud and noisy... until I walked through the door, whereupon silence was instantaneous.

"What?" I asked. "I'm not wearing a Wildcats jersey." The joke fell flat.

"What's the word over in Cummings's room?" asked T&C Councilwoman Dagmar Schoen, breaking the tension and silence.

"They're anxious." I said. "The County Republicans aren't joining their lawsuits, nor returning their calls."

"Don," Daniel Allgood said, taking charge. "The Media's pushing us for me to give my victory speech as soon as possible. I can understand; they really want to concentrate on the State Senate story. So I've given them 8:15. I'd like for you and Laura to be on the stage with us."

"Sure." I said. Just then my mother Phyllis appeared next to me.

"Hi, Mom." I said, then remembered. "Mom- who's keeping the kids?"

"Oh, Lieutenants Croyle and Ross, Son." my mom replied. "It seems they have discovered that volunteering to babysit the Commander's children gets them out of mundane police tasks like guarding Election stations and patrol duties."

I laughed. "Good on them." I said. "They're definitely as smart as they are beautiful."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Daniel had his crowd whipped up with cheers as he thanked them for their hard work on his behalf, Melina standing beside him looking lovely in her black and white dress. He then brought Chief Griswold up to the podium and said "Although we've won this race, I'm sorry that I'm losing this great police officer to retirement. Everyone give Chief Griswold a huge, well-deserved round of applause!" The room shook with thunderous applause, which caused the Chief to blush under his mustaches. It was a very nice gesture on Daniel's part, I thought.

As I stood with several other campaign people on the stage behind Daniel, I scanned the room. Near the very back, I noticed the head of ash-blonde hair at the back of the room. It was the tall figure of Henry R. Wargrave, watching the proceedings. I could make out his wife standing beside him.

"Okay everyone, enjoy the rest of the evening, and let's get ready for four years serving our County!" Daniel said, concluding his remarks. The cameras followed the Allgoods as they left the stage and mingled with the guests, the men in suits and the women in dresses, all having a good time. As soon as it was possible, I broke away from my group and went searching for the Wargraves. But they had left already.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Judge Harry 'Spud' Nance allowed the polls in the primarily Black districts to close around 8:30pm, an hour and a half after every other district's voting booths had closed. The crowd in Daniel's rooms had thinned out. The well-wishers making their rounds, such as the Mayor and his wife, had visited, congratulated, and moved on.

At 12:45am, early on November 5th, Bettina came on the air, sitting behind the KXTC News Desk. "This is Bettina Wurtzburg with the latest updates. With 98% of precincts reporting, we can project that Miriam Walters has won the Solicitor's post, and Dr. John Quincy Kelly will be the County's next Coroner. District Attorney Krasney will continue to represent The People in the County's courtrooms, and the entire Town & County Council was re-elected comfortably. Mayor Larry Vaughan is the People's Choice to continue in that post. And of course, Daniel Allgood was declared the winner of the important Sheriff's race before the evening had hardly gotten started."

"The only race left undecided is for State Senate from the 1st District. Wait!- Ladies and Gentlemen, we have breaking news! Brian Jennings is reporting from our election headquarters. Brian!"

"Yes, Bettina," said Jennings, smiling broadly as his face came onto the screen. "Channel Two News can now project that Katherine Woodburn will be the next State Senator from the 1st District! With 100% of all precincts reporting in the Senate District, Ms. Woodburn has a 700 vote lead over radical TEA Party Extremist John Cummings. It appears the People have rejected the extremism of John Cummings and elected Ms. Katherine Woodburn, who was a late entrant into the race after the death of Senator Nathan Allen!"

"Brian, do you have any breakdown of the numbers, especially of those districts that remained open?"

"Yes, Bettina, we do!" Jennings said, smiling even more broadly. "Ms. Woodburn won by around 700 votes, and reports are that about 950 votes were cast in the extra time in those precincts that were ordered to stay open by Court decree. Nearly all of those votes were cast for Ms. Woodburn, once again a total rejection of John Cummings and his extremist TEA Party views. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Brian!" Bettina said. "Let's go to Amber Harris at County Republican Headquarters."

"This is Amber Harris, KXTC Channel Two Evening News!" said the attractive blonde. She was smiling very happily as she said "I've just gotten word from the County Republican Party that they will not join the appeals nor any recount requests of TEA Party Extremist John Cummings, and it is the official position of the County Republican Party to accept the results that are being announced at this hour. Back to you, Bettina!"

I didn't get to hear what Bettina had to say next, as the Chief got up and turned off the television set, his face inscrutable but seemingly aged. Just then my cellphone rang, and Laura's began chiming a split-second later. After hearing what was said, I hung up. I looked at Laura, who just nodded.

"Guys, Laura and I have to go." I said. "My phone call was from Cindy Ross. Her sister Molly has gone into labor, and they're going to the hospital now."

To be continued.

You now have all the clues. Who murdered Trish Donolan? And why?

The solution, and the happy results of Molly's labor, are coming up in the next chapter...