All Comments on 'How High a Price: Another View - M'

by Joesephus

Sort by:
  • 255 Comments (Page 2)
jonnyrebel82jonnyrebel82about 8 years ago
I almost never comment on my friend's stories…

But for some reason I'm missing him today and will make several. It's hard to decide which of his stories is the most misunderstood. The winner by a hair is probably "Dee Dee…" it never ceases to amaze me how many people don't "get" that story, however I'll discuss that one in its comment section.

The theme of this story is grace with a small "g." People can AND do change Joesephus went to great lengths to show she did, perhaps too great for some of us. Think of Chuck Colson or Bill W as examples. Because most don't change it make those who do even more remarkable. The reason that J made Susan an even bigger slut was to show the limitless power of grace, and to demonstrate through her honesty that her change was real. J believed that Christian forgiveness or grace did NOT require reconciliation. In fact demanded the opposite if the slut didn't "repent" and make the effort to rectify what they'd done. He also believed that with Susan's repentance Early was obliged to give her an opportunity to build a new relationship. He was NOT obliged to take her back! His eyes were open to the danger of trying again, and also the benefits. Even though Susan had changed she didn't deserve a second chance and in no way could she earn it. That is why she needed GRACE.

What the BTB. crowd always miss is the potential rewards of forgiveness. Although rare, this time it worked. She NEVER CHEATED AGAIN! and because she was so grateful she was more devoted than would be considered "normal."

J was fascinated by people who "walked the walk," instead of just talk. The Character Early was one, Susan another. So, bottom line, without repentance there is no reconciliation, with it there's only there's only a need to be open to the Big R, NOT A REQUIREMENT! Real reptance is demonstrated with deeds not with words. Early reaped great rewards and he did deserve them. To give grace requires great strength, the kind not available to the BTB, or a wimp. Early never accepted Susan's behavior, he over came it with grace. That's what so many BTBs can't understand. Sure there are weak characters who allow themselves to be absurd, but there are also those like Early who operate from strength.

End of rant!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Not bad

Grace, it had to be something that got them back together. Once you make a clean break going back is nuts. The reason for the split will resurface agin maybe not right away but it will. I know this is a story but, please!

kdcee79kdcee79almost 8 years ago
Hmmmm not sure

Quite well written but far too long & at times boring & tedious for me. You portrayal of Early just didn't click, it was almost embarrassing to read about the cruise. Not the best sequel. 3 ***

VapspegeoVapspegeoalmost 8 years ago
I give Grace

This is a wonderful story I would not change anything. If I missed anything I give Grace.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
grace is overrated

these situations is why i hate religion. revenge is the only satisfying result of someone wronging you. this revenge must be brutal and final. claiming that one must forgive betrayal is what makes people feel they can get away with said betrayal.

death to cheaters and their apologists

Seeker1107Seeker1107almost 8 years ago
It was interesting but,

I have a problem with her multiple sex partners. I don't remember seeing them anywhere except for her confession. Now the idea of grace has been offered up more than once in a few of these stories, but why go back to her? While the heart may want what the heart wants this is a stretch even for a fictional story. It is a nice story, but, in real life I just don't see it that way. Ok, give her grace, but let yourself heal a bit and reassess who you want and what you want out of it. Not just jump back into the frying pan all over again. Be that as it may, I am not the writer just a reader enjoying his offering. And as such we pretty much have to take it as it is written without reading too much into it.

Josephus, I hope that you are resting in peace and somehow get enjoyment from the fact that even though you are gone your works are still available to us.

Seeker GP

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 8 years ago
Meh!

I had forgotten reading this before, came here after a friend recommended the writer, read this one because I remembered the original and most (if not all!) of the follow-ups, and it wasn't till the retired chaplain that I remembered that I had read this before.

I'm afraid my original feelings haven't changed. This version completely rewrites Susan's relationship with Stickner from the original, and therefore doesn't address some of the key problems with the original: First, how such a "brilliant" attorney makes such a mistake that she needs help from Stickner in the first place. Second, why doesn't she bring him up on sexual harassment charges, Finally, the BIG one - since when do you thank a business associate for their help by FUCKING them?

LalawmanLalawmanover 7 years ago
5 Star

I liked this version of the ending. I'm not a religious person but I do like the version of "grace" explained in the story. I've told my friends that while I don't have a strong "faith" in my life I can appreciate it in others.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Sequels are never as good as the original

Too many unnecessary details.

The original early and susan isn't in this version...

1/5

RhomanovRhomanovover 7 years ago
***

Came back for a reread.

The story was very well done. Too bad all the characters kept were the names.

There was no transition of the characters, just an abrupt change.

266xxyz266xxyzover 7 years ago
2nd read

Same score. 5* I guess the only thing I didn't like was that she said her bed would always be open to him and at the end she insisted on re-marrying him. Casts seeds of doubt to me. Great effort. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
5*

i would recomend everyone to read the original by troubadour then a sequel by E.Z riter and then this one. they all follow on nicely. i have gone from hating the cheating bitch susan to accepting that she is genuinely sorry. never thought anyone could reconcile these two but you managed it realistically without early "wimping out" well done.

ejsathomeejsathomeover 7 years ago
Thank you. . .

. . . one of the better sequels that I have read. Thanks very much. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
not enough stars to rate this story

Joesephus,

you did a splendid job with this story. When I first came across Troubadour's "unfinished" story, I searched the web for any and all of the sequels. I've read a few up to now, and yours is by far on top of them all. I really enjoyed reading your work. The very ending became predictable about half way through, but the trip into human brains and behavior makes this story quite strong and enjoyable to the end.

The only "regret" I have is that your didn't elaborate on Susan's explanation regarding John Stickner as shementionned that her affair with him was different from all the others ...

Nevertheless, once again a really top story that I enjoyed reading. (sorry if my choice of words isn't good, this is not my mother tongue).

please keep writing at this level ...

Gaumais16

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
The best

Of all the previous stories I have read as followups to how high the price this was the best

TheKrrakTheKrrakabout 7 years ago
Definitely the best...

... of all the followups to Troubador's original piece.

5/5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Very good.

So much pain and suffering in this situation. Many people will say he caved. Life isn't black and white .

What a horrible place to be. This wasn't good,

It was great. Thank you for your hard work.

enjayemenjayemabout 7 years ago
So sad

That this wonderful author was taken from us far too soon. The concept of Grace leads me to believe he was a wonderful man as well as a talented writer. For what it's worth, 5*

Norm

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

The best of these completion stories I have read — by far. Lots of real pain, but also sincere recognition of wrong done. The ending is unexpectedly happy, but not unrealistically or unbelievably so.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Liked this except

One or two things were not dealt with.

She did a hell of a lot more with Stickner than any other fuck buddy. Did she do things with him that she didn't with Early? Can't recall, but did she use a condom with him?

She also never answered his question about how many times she cheated on him.

It was a fair question and deserved an answer.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Just Another...

Willing Cuckold, Creampie Eating, Liberal, Ass Sucking Author Who Is Fortunately No Longer Inflicting His Perverted Lack Of Morals On This Readership. Good Riddance To Bad Rubbish.

JoesephusJoesephusalmost 7 years agoAuthor
I don't think I've ever responded to a post on one of my friend's stories, but…

No Joesephus isn't alive, I'm using his sign in to show that I am his friend Jonnyrebel82 who continues to answer his mail. J never deleted a comment so I won't delete this ridiculous personal attack, but I do think it needs an answer.

The above post is a great example of unhinged trolls who attack writer because they can't tell the difference between a writer and a story. First, let me say that Joesephus hated adultry, he and I both have a great deal of sympathy for and agreement with the BTB crowd, up to a point. That point is repentance on the part of the cheater. J made it clear in several stories that while repentance demanded forgiveness by folks who tried to follow Christianity it did NOT require taking the cheater back. Despite the charges of many BTBers he did NOT believe in RAAC. Any reconciliation was always because the victim was, "better off with her back," and he also made it clear she didn't cheat again.

The fact that J worked Christian morality into so many of his stories removes any doubt about the intelligence of this Anonymous, and charge that J was "Inflicting His Perverted Lack Of Morals" in his stories. His morality especially clear in this story about grace (with a small g as opposed to God's Grace).

Of course the charge of "willing cuckhold" is nonsense I'm positive that his wife, Kritter, never cheated on J, her life after his death shows how deadly she loved him. Further, not one of J's characters was ever a willing chuckhold, so again Anonymous shows a lack of comprehension that is indicative of low intelligence.

I don't know, for sure about "cream pie eating," I think he was probably willing to go to the "Y" to get a partner ready for round three or four, but while I suppose that technically is cream pie eating, it wouldn't have been to taste cum because I heard him comment on disliking the taste. (Any man who claims to have never tasted his cum is probably a liar.)

That brings the last two charges, ass licking, I doubt very much, and liberal is just another indication of the writer's lack of smarts. J wasn't to the right of Attila the Hun, but they were close enough to shake hands. His country has had "liberal" governments and one of J's goals in life was to change that, and to destroy their Oligarchy, through his writing and probably getting into politics. He had started a book he intended to be the first shot in his campaign, I think it's a good one I wish it was more than half finished.

Jonnyrebel82

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A truly interesting concept

First of all, I want to thank you Jonnyrebel82 for you wise response to some anon trolls that sadly populate the comments. I'm always sad when I read them because usually people think all anon commenters are the same. Of course, we are not.

Back to the story, I found the concept of grace truly fascinanting applied to this context. I'm not a religious person, but I was raised as a christian so I do remember some of the teachings I got when i was a child. According to christianity a sinner can change when he/she embrace Christ and his teachings into his/her life. So the analogy used is really good, but Early is not God. He can't give Susan "true grace". So my problem with the story is what make her change? She did go to a therapist long enough... She didn't became a christian... as a matter of fact she didn't do anything to change herself. So why did she change? The love fro her husband that she profesed was there all the time she was cheating on him and was never enough to make her stop. So I can understand why Early took the (wrong in my opinion) choice to give her grace, but I don't get to see why she had a change of heart before she got it. Nice story, of course, but since the scales were not balanced in any way, it's still RAAC.

JoesephusJoesephusalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Once again I feel the need to respond

Again this is Jonnyrebel82, NOT my friend J

I really enjoyed the previous Anonymous, he gives the rest a good name.

He did a very good job of discussing Grace, but he was less insightful about grace with a small g. My dad has been doing prison ministry for over 20 years. J actually joined him a time or two, and has talked about lives he's seen changed. He's rather cynical about what inmates say, but it's really hard to fake something meeting weekly in prison for 20 years. So, I think Anonymous nailed it on Grace and God. Where his logic breaks down is on people being able to change without God. It's NOT common, but AA and others don't rely on a Christian God, and as my dad points out, the best predictor of an inmate staying out of prison is a religious conversion, which religion doesn't matter. I know AA talks about a "higher power" but drunks and addicts have gotten clean forever without God. One of the points J made in other stories is that the ability to change is what separates humans from animals. It generally requires a person to hit bottom to change, but it is possible.

In this story Susan hit bottom when she lost Early. Her offer of PIs was silly but J was trying to show that like many converts she had become zealous in her change, as has been the case wit converts forever. Additionally Susan showed her change by her attempt to give restitution financially and more importantly when she offered to leave an organization close to her heart. She did it again when she left the ship leaving the choice to Early.

Still, nothing she could do could atone for her cheating. She couldn't earn her way back. Early didn't need to respond to her. He could have forgiven her and moved on. It probably would have been wiser, but instead he gave her grace and was rewarded for it. J absolutely hatred the phrase, "Once a cheater always a cheater!" I think it had to do with his mother, and while I haven't kept in close touch with his mother, I do know she is still married to the man at whose wedding J was killed. He would have been delighted.

So, bottom line, people CAN change even without God, and Man (very unPC of me)can give grace but it doesn't always work out as well as in this story.

Finally, I think J also believe that most folks didn't change. The irony of the Anonymous jerk who called him names is that he HATED cheating, in part because what it cost him and in many ways was part of the BTB group. He wrote at least three non RAAC stories though because he was realistic, the cheaters weren't shipped off to Mexican whorehouses. I know it really bothered him that "Dee Dee" was so misunderstood and "Home Early" had so many miss the last paragraph where he showed there wasn't a reconciliation just getting along for the kids.

"Dee Dee" is always his lowest ranking story and J thought it was some of his best writing. He had worked hard to get into the head of a man whose world had been destroyed. It's a completely downer story so maybe that's part of if but I don't understand either.

Broadway12Broadway12over 6 years ago
Dozens of Times?

"You don't know that I cheated on you dozens of times, do you?"

I can understand a reconciliation and giving grace for the weekend with John Stickner, and it probably should have been sooner that three years, but cheating dozens of times would be a deal killer.

danoctoberdanoctoberover 6 years ago
Great follow up story.

A long detailed complecated reconciliation story. ✔✔✔✔✔

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 6 years ago
There

should be a way to ban anonymous comments

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
So we are supposed to read 2 other stories before reading this one?

Why not come up with your own story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
@Schwanze1

An author can choose to ban them from commenting on his or her stories. Most authors, being creative types, are too open minded to do it. Thankfully. They can always delete any that are just pointless flaming.

@Joesephus' Friend

I think Dee Dee scored so low because it required people to read another story that uh...many probably wouldn't want to read. By the way, I love your friend's tales. He was an amazing storyteller.

Cog

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 6 years ago
It's

free. Sign up and put a user name to the comments

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 6 years ago
My thoughts were I the lead character

Not interested in a cruise boss. You want me to take six weeks off, I'll take six weeks off. I don't cruise. On a cruise ship, the captain is god and I'm unwilling to accept that level of authority unforced with no exit plan of my own. See you in six weeks. Wife, it's going to be tough without you but I'll find someone who isn't a serial cheating slut to comfort me. If I find out you are tracking my life I'll disappear. If you want to make me feel better about all this continue your whoring ways.

266xxyz266xxyzover 6 years ago
Reread

Read them all and reread some of them as well as the original. While this one was well written I hate the idea of religions and in particular christian thought. Grace...meh. I did see something tho in chapter 5 which resonated with me. I have always thought that there is a great divide between the dynamics of sex re men and women. I think women who cheat are far less forgivable than men who do. Most folks think my views are a double standard. I don't think so and I'm not going to change then again I'm not looking to change anyone else with my perspective.

For me...men have a dick that is regarded more or less as a digit. We stick our hands on things often w/o much thought. The same applies to our dicks. In the absence of rape women make a choice to take a man into her body. There is an implicit trust there and it does make them vulnerable and I can see the attraction of taking a calculated risk. I'm an adrenalin freak myself so I certainly get that but for the most part those risks aren't really exactly a risk of life. Like the examples stated in chapter 5. comparing them to bungee jumping or sky diving. It is a bit of a risk but the odds are way in your favor and if the odds turn against you there is a quick "o shit" and blackness. While just jumping out of an air plane hoping you going to make it down safely is just plane crazy. I have never felt physically at risk while screwing a stranger but that sense of vulnerability a woman must feel, even if unconsciously, provides that kick of adrenalin which, at least for some of us. is habit forming. So if I cheat (and don't get outright caught) I may feel guilt or remorse even confess and perhaps ruin my marriage, there is no physical risk. (except maybe my wife shoots me later post confession) Personally never got a thrill out of something being illicit, the thrill was getting some strange. Women get the thrill of both. And it is a choice she makes and has deeper implications where as men the choice is more negligible. More like a dog being tossed a bone. Dog doesn't see any risk there and instinctively catches the bone. I guess to make a long story at least shorter, I think it is a lot easier to forgive a cheating husband that it is a cheating wife. At least at the intellectual and emotional level. I couldn't get past it didn't even want to and there I stand and I'm not sorry. But I'm not saying I didn't hurt or that Ididn't miss her. I just closed the last chapter of a book I wish I'd never read. But I did. Life huh?

266xxyz266xxyzover 6 years ago
On How high a price

Longhorn_7 wrote an excellent ending, not that the others were not good...they were. All of them count. That said "Too high a price" sat the best with me. But that's just me.

266xxyz266xxyzover 6 years ago
Bio

Just readJoesepus's bio. You're not dead as long as somebody remembers you. Good on you Johnnyrebel8.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
anon 72117

ok im not a fan of the story either, but you went waaay overboard with it. i loathe willing spineless cuckolds or the man hating feminist crap, but this wasn't near a glad he's dead deal . like i say to those who write the stories like that, i hope you're sterile

timrivtimrivover 6 years ago

Sorry haters, I liked it.

Richie4110Richie4110about 6 years ago
Loved it as much as the original

Well developed and focused beyond the original plot to create drama for me. I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know the outcome.

Thanks for this great effort to expand my entetainment.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
I still think

Longhorn__07 is the best and more logical sequel of the original story.

The change in the wife, speciacilly if she didn't do any kind of counseling makes the story a fantasy tale. ¿A serial cheater who loves her husband and changes without any kind of help or soul searching? Sorry not buying it. Absolutely unbelievable. If she truly loved him so much she wouldn't have cheated. The fact that she cheated all along her marriage makes the reconciliation even worst and turns Early into a stupid idiot.

1 star for me.

danoctoberdanoctoberalmost 6 years ago
*****

If you made it this far I would suggest you read this late authors biography. His stories are created with some of the best dialogue in the LW's section. True story telling at it's finest. His passing at such an early age is tragic. He wrote like a mature man but died in his 20's. Thanks to Jake Rivers for remembering his fellow author and giving the readers some small insight into the life of the late, great, Joesephus.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I’m not really a reconciliation guy in situations like this.....but it’s clear Early was...

...terminally hung up on Susan. The OCD mindset also ensured he’d never let it go. Getting to a quieter place and finally forgiving Susan, fully knowing she didn’t deserve one microgram of it simply puts a spotlight on the reality that forgiveness in this life and between humans is more for the benefit of the forgiver, than that of the forgiven. In human terms, as you made clear, it allows them to move on.

She was a shit during the divorce, with her “falling on all the swords” letter. It was stupid and painful to read, because it was, for the most part, impossible to carry out or sustain.

His near constant “reviews” of his crappy situation also got to be a bit burdensome to read through.

I stuck it out, because in the end, I wanted to see how it would all resolve.

I’m not Early and I can say with some authority, that I would have gone to the batting cages a lot, but would have also started circulating and seeking paramours and eventually, a more permanent relationship.

Six years into our marriage, my wife cheated. I didn’t catch them in the act, but her behavior became so obviously changed, and her attitude toward me was so dismissive, it seemed obvious to me, she was sleeping with someone. She worked a meeting center in the banquet group and was always off and home no later than midnight, but usually by 10:30. When she started sneaking in a 1:30 and 2 am, I finally locked her out and left for work the next day with plans to be moved out before the end of her next shift.....without a single word. The complication? We had two boys. I am not wired right to abandon my children, no matter how bad it gets....short of knife and plate throwing.....but then I could simply disappear with the boys and start over several states or shorelines away from our little town.

Instead, during the day, I had an epiphany and decided to stay and make it work......on my terms. I kept my distance and was clear that I was not going to tolerate her, so soon took employment that included travel and I took lovers in those mostly remote cities I frequented. Most were short term, a few lasted a couple of years and one remains until today.

Oh, yes, after the kids left home for the last time, so did I.

It was pretty abrupt. I disappeared a few items at a time. One day, she came home from her workday and “drinks with the girls” to a house devoid of any evidence that I had ever been party to her life....save my worn ring, a torn photo of our last family vacation, a list of her lovers (as many as I had managed to document), and a notice of dissolution of marriage for a rather lengthy list of offenses, including obvious and overbearing adultery, negligence, emotional abuse, and unforgivable stupidity (Yup, it said so, right on the notice). I had taken all other evidence of my presence out of the place.

Of course, the notice she was served at work the next day, was a little more standard, but it was essentially the same. Oh, and strangely, I had also found that she never fell pregnant with any of her lovers. I was somewhat stealthy about having all the kid’s DNA tested and we were both 100% their parents.

I have three more with my former long time lover and new wife.....starting about 8 years behind the first three. They, like my first kids are a delight and all six get along very well. Facecto face time is somewhat limited, because I live offshore on a lovely Dutch protectorate and getting there for the holidays is a bit expensive.....and I have a diminished desire to spend much time stateside. We go every three years for extended holidays from just before Thanksgiving until a week or two after New Years, so we can maintain some semblance of close personal contact with my older kids and grand kids, as well as my younger ones.

So...you see, it doesn’t always play out as a torturous, years-long drudge like Early and Susan went through. I swear y’all (that’s you and your characters) almost come off as Calvinists.

DrakenNoirDrakenNoirover 5 years ago
Different Way to Go!!

Didn't want to like it. But wound up liking it anyway. At least in this story there was a good amount of time passing between the divorce and reconciliation. Would have preferred four to six years, but three is pretty long in this category. The author did an excellent job of conveying Early and Susan's emotions throughout the story. It should be pretty easy with Early, the poor betrayed spouse. But when an author can get a sympathetic reaction for Susan, the cheater, that's something difficult to do and this was done very well. Just a 'different' kind of story and an interesting way to end it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
UGH!!!

Had to leave the story half way through page 5. This "story" just sucked because how you make her out to be some kind of "immoral" saint....On one hand, she's a life long slut cheating on her husband with impunity....On the other hand, she comes of so "caring" and like she's doing something SO noble and unselfish, which is totally out of character! This story is so contradictory it stinks!

PEEEUUUKKKEE! It just doesn't wash!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Unique to Loving Wives

Having forgotten most of my religious instruction from childhood, I really appreciate being reminded of the concept of grace. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

I liked the ideas behind this story. Would I ever "forgive" someone who betrayed me like that? No, never. But the idea of grace I can get by in my head. It is not required of me. I give it only when I want to, if I choose to, when I feel right about it.

I started the story feeling like Susan couldn't suffer enough, and Early couldn't despise her more than me, but somehow I was happy for them reuniting at the end. Must have been a good author to bring me along on that journey.

TreymonTreymonabout 5 years ago
A good job

Of showing one of ways a credible reconciliation could be achieved after so much disrespect and so many lines had been crossed.

That being said it would have been better perhaps as a standalone.

It was really more like a different story altogether

ThematchthatBurnsThematchthatBurnsabout 5 years ago
Just too much fucking forgivness!

Tell all the interfering bastards to piss off and get on with some serious revenge.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Waste of my time

Stopped reading after chapter seven. Seen the bullshit coming.

Bebop3Bebop3almost 5 years ago
Josephus...

was an amazingly talented writer. That English wasn't his first language makes his work even more impressive.

He was so talented that he was able to make even this bit of ridiculousness almost palatable.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Comments Need Grace

For all of you critics and those who have kind words. Please look at Jospheus's Biography. For those who have damned him I am sure he has found the Grace to give you, and for those who loved his writings you will feel sad that such a young bright writer passed at the age of 25. Be kinder to all and have Grace.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
what a cuck

stupid bastard finds out she was never faithful to anyone, and cheated on him since even before their wedding

Tell me you moronic author

how does a man so pissed at finding out his wife fucked around on him just once that he divorced her decide that since she in fat cheated on him nearly a hundred times over the course of their relationship that he should remarry the cheating cunt?

You prefaced your story saying that your tale would not make sense without reading someone elses,

well sir the tenor of your cucks tale makes LESS sense given that story

His was a BTB based on one infidelity, yours was a RAAC based on scores of affairs

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
1 star

cucks always get one star

AutistAdventurerAutistAdventurerover 4 years ago
And again the nonces miss the point of grace.

You are sad, sad people and you live in a sad, sad world. I enjoy that you gnash teeth in impotent rage against a talent and skill you have no hope of ever understanding let alone enacting.

:D

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I Couldn't Have

Taken her back. One thing I don't understand is why so many comments are made by illiterate people, it would be better to not comment at all than to show you are stupid. Ignorance can be cured but stupid is to the bone and is forever. Signed: BTW

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterover 4 years ago
A true story of grace

Wow. The concept of grace was unexpected, and beautiful. Well done!

My last personal takeaway. Some of you seem incapable of grace or forgiveness. You also seem always bitter - at life, at love, and at relationships. Read this story again, then sit back and reflect. Grace is always possible. Inner peace is a pleasant side effect.

WargamerWargamerabout 4 years ago
A great story

The best ending yet to this story. The concept of Grace, what a lovely twist to the tale.

Well done!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great, you turned the one sequel where he wanst a cuck

back into a story about how he was nothing but a cuck

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
This isnt RAAC. Its actually very very realistic

It's about hitting rock bottom. That point in one's life where nothing could possibly get any worse. A cluster of events that cause so much turmoil (emotional and physical) that one is forced to examine behavior and motivation. It is a point where someone is ready to decide whether they will change or give up. It is most frequently attributed to addicts and this story is about addiction.

Susan hit her bottom. Sure she hoped Early would move on so that she could eventually but in her heart and action she had already changed. She no longer wanted to place her addiction over the needs of her partner. Even if Early had moved on and she found another, she would have sought someone just like her husband. She would have been driven to do this as a reminder of what she lost. She would have been dver faithful.

I know this because I have lived it in my own way. Unliking this story, I didnt receive my ultimate desire but I did find someone to share my life with. I will always be an addict but i remember the pain and suffering. I live my life sober, honest and faithful because I love my wife but I also do it for my ex. It was a promise I made to her and myself. Even though she will never know, I. Know.

I am Susan in this story. There are so very many of us. I thank the stars daily that my love knows everything and loves me with everything.

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
5 stars only because you were one of few to get it right spouse comes before all others including parents and children

Got it with me with chaplain and Grace

I can't do it but understand people who can few and far between

I actually knew one like that a very good friend knew him from grade school to college and jobs until he died of cancer

Knew others who professed that kind of life but didn't know them well enough to verify that

Great story enjoyed

COYSCOYSalmost 4 years ago
Well done

Very well done. Even though her letter was too melodramatic for my taste. This was well written and very human. What I don’t get, as with other authors, is the concept that there is only one person you can be happy with. That’s not true. But still a great story. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
This may be my favorite reconciliation story and F the haters

I don't know who posted that comment below because there is no name but he/she was right on the money.   I don't view this as a RAAC either because Susan didn't continue her behavior.   Early wasn't forced into submission.   No, that poster was right... this was about addiction and recovery.   Susan was addicted to sex, the danger of infidelity, the rush of illicit sex.   She hit her bottom when Early caught her and she was forced to address her behavior.   The pain she caused forced her to wake up and seek help.   There are a lot of Susans out there.   We hurt our loved ones with our behavior and force them to leave us to avoid being hurt further.  

What made this story really special for me though was the discussion of grace.

AlericAlericover 3 years ago
Very interesting take

While not how I would react, Early's was realistic and relatable. His turmoil and anger were palpable, and I felt like I was on a rollercoaster throughout. Outstanding job Josephus.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Yes, there are some

interesting parts to the story, but the Early's pivot in Cynthia's office based on claims that his "brilliant, legend" of a lawyer wife could tie him up for years and run up legal fees until he's broke was just stupid. The divorce laws may not be just, but where there are no children, the case will be processed quickly, including resolving property disputes (although nothing in the story suggests that there's anything serious to fight about). Dockets are clogged, especially in urban areas. If Susan tried filing a lot of motions, she , the legend, the brilliant lawyer, would first be admonished, and if she persisted, sanctioned. This absurd "turning point" in the story was an unforced error. BTW, authors, if lawyers talk to clients the way "Cynthia" did to Early, they wouldn't have clients. Other authors have written lawyers this way. Don't. It's also absurd.

traddisagaintraddisagainabout 3 years ago
yuck

just think of the large number of different cocks that tainted her vagina, yuck again

WargamerWargamerabout 3 years ago

Read again still a 5/5, but your character Early is a better man than any living man past or present.

In truth she would’ve been burnt alive, at worst killed for what she was.

She was one lucky woman.

Ricky17Ricky17about 3 years ago

Well Done and Well Written.The shocks and tensions were well maintained to the end but it would be nice

to have known the results of the STD results. I'm sure there were many like me who were expecting him to find love again on the Cruise but someone new! Well disguised all round . 5 worthy stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I stopped reading LW stories for 6 or 8 monthe because I get at too involved in them & keep thinking of. My wife in that situation.

I would in all probability kill myself immediately, but if I chickened out I’d try my damndest To keep her.

Never thought of myself as a cuck though but I guess I’d be one.

Loved the story. Wish there were a 7 star option though.

Bill

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
you don't take in trash

you throw it out!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
mixed

I found this well written, the acceptance was unbelievable.

WillowghbyWillowghbyabout 3 years ago
Subtle Condemnation

The Suzy-slut character is pathologically delusional and stupid. Even the legal profession would be embarrassed to count her in their fold. She condemns all Esquires to a lesser average standing in the world.

Quite well written, more psychobabble than I would prefer, and the MC is shown as weak due to his excess angst and easily resuscitated trust.

Normally I say, "Keep 'em comin' " but that doesn't fit with the author's departure.

francemanfrancemanabout 3 years ago

a big mental jerk. just not believable.

as the text goes on, the husband turns into a little kitten, and the woman turns from slut into mother Teresa at the flick of a switch.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This was torture to the reader.

SlamnukeSlamnukeabout 3 years ago

Normally I don’t much care for RAAC stories, but this one was interesting and well done. Early could not rid himself of the anger, it was consuming him. I like how you brought in the Christian concept of Grace, of a reward you don’t deserve and can never earn through your own works no matter how much you do.

I’m sure there aren’t too many Christians here on this site but this one spoke to me. I don’t know if you intended it to be that way but it was actually a solid story when taken from a Biblical context. The lessons learned, how someone can change for the better, the concept of Grace, and so much more.

People here may call Early a cuck but the man is clearly not that, at all. Living with that kind of anger and rage is soul destroying. I’m not saying he made the right decision to go back with Susan but his idea of punishment was absolutely unique. It was something I’ve never seen done before in any Literotica story because Grace is a concept people so often misunderstand yet it’s the single most important concept of the entire Christian religion.

Overall a fantastic story with the most unique ending I’ve ever seen.

SexecutionerSexecutionerabout 3 years ago

Fuck where to start?

The basis of Christianity is grace? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm reminded of a quote here, "No gods no masters, think for your fucking selves." Next, you can add all the plethora of psycho babble you'd like to make this an RAAC shit story. But bottom line, Early is a cuck. Years of lying and cheating, and now she's going to be faithful?

This is one of most pathetic stories here, and that is saying something....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

All this bullshit just to force a pathetic RAAC .

Guess she got better this time at hiding her many lovers .

Wonder how many different fathers the kids have ?

Worst RAAC I've ever seen TBH

lukeshortlukeshortalmost 3 years ago
Best for Early

I like slamnuke's 03/31/21 comment. Without getting into the religious aspect of the comment, EARLY DID WHAT WAS BEST FOR HIM. 5*

Donovan7777Donovan7777almost 3 years ago

Ok, so let me begin by saying it is unusual that I have the patience for a story with 6 chapters/pages but I hung in there for this one. There have been at least half dozen endings written for this story, all by different authors. I've read them all. Also, I AM NOT a fan of happy endings for cheating wives,. "Slay them" is my normal state of mind. But for some reason this ending to HOW HIGH A PRICE by Troubadour hit me a different way. Through all the twists and turns it kept my interest. Susan, who became more of a cheating slut, the more we read, actually became a character that I began to believe in and not just just another cheating wife willing to say anything to keep her husband. It was interesting to me and the concept of "grace" was unique. My usual reaction to a husband forgiving a cheating wife is "oh fuck, you pansy ass wimp. I hope she does it again!" But for this one I felt like " YES, good for you". I think my change from the norm was because the author took Susan to different place as a repentant character and it worked for me. Like Early, I was able to get over the hurt.

King_MacAulayKing_MacAulayalmost 3 years ago

This is like in the top two, or maybe just best, cheating and reconciliation stories I've read. I believed it. And I didn't feel like Early was cheated out of his respect, and I didn't feel like Susan didn't change enough to be worthy of, well, grace. This was just really well thought out and I appreciate the crap out of it. Thank you for dedicating so much time to writing this. The passion and thoughtfulness shows through pretty much the whole time.

muskyboymuskyboyover 2 years ago

She had never put him first, she'd never forsaken all others..... I really liked the concept of granting "grace" but there was no corresponding epiphany from Susan. Still a 5/5 though.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This story twists the Troubador's original characters to the point they are no longer recognizable. That feels wrong. Josephus should have written his own story with fresh characters and noted that he had been inspired by "How High a Price" if he chose to publish it.

fritz51fritz51over 2 years ago

I thought sure this was headed the RAAC route; until the discovery that she had been unfaithful to him their entire life together. Having already formed the opinion that ditching her was the only play, that revelation seemed to make it a lock that she was history. Then... he did what?

Sorry, but the way this wrapped up, I'm feeling more contempt for Early than Susan. Go have kids with her now?

On the cruise when she was asking what she might do to release him, I was hoping that he'd suggest that she just slip over the railing - but I guess as a reader: "You Can't Always Get What You Want" // but as a cuck, (and he is a cuck the instant he accepts what she did) sometimes, "You Get What You Need"

numbnutz49numbnutz49over 2 years ago

It's amazing that 15 years later folks are still commenting about this version of the story. That's a tribute to the original author and Joseph's. As an anonymous contributor added, this was very different from the original and should have need about different characters. The religious component really was the only part of the story that worked. I half expected when Early showed up at her apartment, he'd be greeted by her new boy toy! Such as it was, I still learned a bunch how to improve my own stories. A lot of that comes from your constructive comments.

servant111servant111over 2 years ago

utterly completely and without a doubt the most meandering insipid pseudo theological psychobabble I have ever come across in over 60 years of reading entire libraries. Grace comes from God....and we are tasked with forgiving each other.... BUT that does not include TRUSTING each other. Forgiveness is letting go of the right to judge and punish the offending party....to let it slide into indiference.... It can only really happen through an impartation of divine grace because we just hate to easily and want to destroy those who offend us.

Trust...is an entirely different matter entirely....it comes through first extending the grace to trust...and then through repeated actions it builds in strength.... But once betrayed....and this cheating slut was a serial betrayer of the worst stripe....once betrayed...trust rightfully vanishes.

Frankly, I while many admire the introspective nonsense in the latter half of this supplement...I find it useless ill defined and convoluted vapor trails.... The choice by the protagonist to forgive is valid....you must dump the poison out of your system.. welcoming the worthless whore back into intimate TRUST...is utterly insipid....

While it is nice to use your smoke and mirror psychotheological babble to justify a happily ever after ending...this is utter nonsense.... In the real world...there is not a snowballs chance that this whore could radically change her core....and transform into the Father Knows Best grandmother in the ending....

What an utter waste of time!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I'm surprised at all the banter about "Grace" and how man can't give it. Horsehocky! Grace is what God wants every one of us to give to one another. It is a precious gift! You have written a great story, one of the best on this entire site. Thank You

Hiram325Hiram325over 2 years ago

The longest, most meandering path to an unjustified RAAC ever. That said, IMO Joesephus is a solid writer. I just hated the plot and the conclusion to this story...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Susan became completely different in this story, so it’s hardly a continuation of the original. The original Susan was, in no way, portrayed as a slut.

Second, Early changed completely as well. He went from a strong, no nonsense trouble shooter to, frankly, a wish-washy wimp.

The story is extremely well written, even though I hated the ending. As an earlier commenter said, it would have been better described as an independent story inspired by the original.

lujon2019lujon2019over 2 years ago

cuck story with no cuck tag is automatic one star for lying

nixroxnixroxover 2 years ago

3 stars at the very most and only because it was well written by a gifted author. However, I hate RAAC for the simple reason that most cheaters do not deserve one - especially the multiple infidelity types of cheaters.

I just feel that this has to be the absolutely longest drawn out and most undeserved RAAC on this website.

RimmerdalRimmerdalover 2 years ago

Very long winded RAAC. Characters were completely changed. Should have been a complete stand along story with different names. These sites need a RAAC category.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

2nd time I've read this & it came through w/ alot of power - I would say significantly exceeding Troubador's (excellent) original. Ending was particulary well done, Bravo Josephus. 'Wish there was alot more where this came from.

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 2 years ago

Excellent reworking of this scenario, really enjoyable reading.

BeBopper99BeBopper99over 2 years ago

5* is still my score after this reread. Although Josephus passed away years ago, his stories still stand up as outstanding.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

One of the best replies to "how high a price "Wish my ex thought like her (jaybee186)

WargamerWargamerabout 2 years ago

Re read it. Yes he exhibited grace and forgave her hyper sexual behaviour. She WAS a slut!

Despite her saying she wasn’t.

Would a normal man do what Early did?

No, no way.

But this is well written fantasy

Still worth 5/5

Btrying2Btrying2about 2 years ago

Having read the original and several of the other alternative endings or sequels as some call them, I believe this is the best. The emotions are so real and the characters pain and emotional conflict so compelling I had had trouble setting it down when necessary. I applaud your use of grace as a concept in their healing process. Very ingenious. That they got back seems right to me.

Thanks for creating this serious tear jerker of a story. And thanks for sharing. John

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nice. Normally, I'm a BTB type of guy but she showed true repentance and Earl did the one thing he could, forgive.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Brilliant soul-searching addition to the original story.

Loved your exposition of the power of grace and its ability to transform lives.

I'd have given you more than 5 stars if it were possible.

dawg997dawg997about 2 years ago

One of the better stories, here or anywhere.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Well written story. Especially like the exposition on Grace.

The author of this story passed away in 2007 at the age of 25 (per his bio page)

We lost a great author.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Grace

Powerful

Story got me thinking about forgiveness without any other consideration.

Couldn't.

Mercy and grace etc had to go with it

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterabout 2 years ago

It is so sad that we lost such an insightful writer so early in his life. I am not an RAAC fan generally speaking, even though I forgave an errant wife many years ago. What makes all the difference is the concept of Grace. whether from a Christian perspective theologically or not, it removes the requirement of justice from the needs formulation. Grace requires a very deep understanding that love is not reciprocal and that there is indeed an unequal power dynamic, where one person chooses to love almost unconditionally to bless both the lover and the beloved. It requires great strength for both parties and, in my perspective, the willingness to mold anger and pain into compassion. Of course the object of that forgiveness must be ready and willing to accept it, to (again using a theologically cheapened term) repent and accept the proffered grace. Yes, it is possible, we are now married nearly 51 years and I still love her deeply and there has never been another trial of my trust nor a rejection of the grace that preserved a marriage that should have, by any scales of justice, been burned to the ground.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous