How's it Going to End?

Story Info
Ron is ready for an affair.
1.9k words
4.25
9.6k
10
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jmm999
jmm999
903 Followers

Contents: British English spelling and grammar.

My first foray away from 'Loving Wives'. Might even have suited 'Romance'.

Usually, the 'Honey we have to talk' theme comes at the beginning of the story.

***

How's it going to end?

'You see it your way and I see it mine, but we both see it slippin' away.'

Glenn Frey, Don Henley, J D Souther.

***

Ron and Caroline had been married twentyone years; both were late forties and their children had long since flown the nest. With more free time, they thought it was a good idea to take up some hobbies. So, Thursday nights, they went out separately. Ron took up chess and joined a club. And Caroline joined a bridge club. The new interests rejuvenated them. But their sex life continued to deteriorate.

It bothered Ron and he said so. Caroline agreed but didn't think it was a problem. They were getting older and it was natural for lust to decline. He didn't pursue the matter but recalled that Charlie Chaplin had fathered a child in his seventies, so late forties seemed a bit early to be winding things down.

At the chess club, players tended to gravitate towards those of a similar level, and Ron frequently found himself playing against Patricia. They were equally matched and often argued, light-heartedly, about who had won the most.

"Tell you what." said Ron one evening. "I'll agree that you are one game ahead, if you'll come and have a drink with me before we go home. There's a pub just round the corner."

"I am married you know!" she replied, smiling.

"Good." he countered. "So am I. We have something in common then!"

It became a regular feature of their chess nights. Patricia stayed one game ahead, their chess improved, and their relationship blossomed. Meanwhile, he stopped pestering Caroline for sex, and settled for once or twice a month.

One night there was a power cut at the club and everybody was sent home with apologies. Ron and Patricia went straight to the pub. There was no post mortem on their moves as they hadn't played, so the pub visit turned into a thorough get-to-know-you session. They drank a bit more than usual, and both started to open up. The conversation started quite innocently.

"You're looking very glamorous tonight Patricia."

She blushed. She was feeling low and had put in a little more effort tonight. And was delighted it had been noticed.

"Well thank you kind sir!" she said.

"Why don't we splash out." Ron suggested. "We've got plenty of time; let's get a bottle of wine."

"Sure, why not?"

Neither of them was used to drinking so much, and soon they were tipsy.

"You didn't want to get home earlier to your wife?"

She was fishing, and they both knew it.

"Nothing very interesting for me at home. I shouldn't say this, but coming to chess once a week is about the most exciting thing in my life right now."

"Me too!" she said.

And the floodgates opened.

Suddenly Patricia found herself telling Ron about her home life. Her husband, Eric, as well as his own regular night out, also went away on business trips every month. He stayed in hotels overnight, and she was convinced he was having affairs. He seemed to have lost interest in her. She looked tearful and Ron put a hand over hers. Then told her he was in a similar situation. Not that Caroline went away, but she was losing interest in sex. When she spoke next, she left her hand in his, and turned it so they were holding each other.

"He says chess is for nerds, and I'm getting dowdy. Perhaps I should start going to a gym instead."

Fishing again.

"You are a very attractive woman, and not dowdy at all; especially tonight. Please don't give this up. I look forward to Thursdays so much."

This was quite a confession, and exactly what she wanted to hear. The line had not been crossed yet, but they were approaching it.

They continued their conversation in much the same mood. Expressions of disappointment with the present, and hopes for a better future. They finished the wine and stepped out into the night. Ron held her shoulders.

"We'd both better get home." he said. "But please tell me you'll keep coming to the club."

"I will - as long as you do."

He kissed her and she did not back off. He pulled away and looked into her eyes. Then kissed her again. This time she responded; mouth open and wet. A kiss like this, between two people married to others, said a lot. The line beckoned and only needed one more step.

"How was your bridge night?" Ron asked Caroline.

"Much the same. How about chess?"

"There was a power cut. I went to the pub instead."

"Oh."

No more questions he noticed. Who do you play with? Did anyone else go to the pub? Nothing. Her lack of interest irritated, but he persisted.

"Do you always play with the same partner?"

"Well, there is one person I partner most weeks, but sometimes she doesn't turn up. Switching around keeps us on our toes, but you only really improve when you keep the same partner. It's a team game."

"I see."

This was the most Caroline had said to him all week.

"Where do you play again?"

"The Regent Hotel. The club has a standing booking of one of their conference rooms. It only comes to three pounds a week, per person. I thought I told you."

"You probably did." agreed Ron. An admission he did not always listen. "Fancy turning in early?"

"Only to sleep, dear. I'm exhausted."

He wondered how cards could exhaust anyone, and sighed.

The following week, Patricia was looking even more glamorous. Ron beat her quickly.

"I think that makes us officially level." he said.

"Sorry Ron. I'm a bit distracted."

"Shall we go to the pub?"

"Yes, I'd like that."

This time they did not order a bottle. She had a glass of house white, and he had a lager.

"So what's distracting you?"

"I'm sure Eric's having an affair. We barely make love once a month now."

Ron thought that was about par for the course.

"Is he away tonight?"

"Yes, in Harrogate. He called from the hotel and said he'll be back tomorrow night."

"You're going home by taxi again?"

"Yes."

Ron didn't know how to do this. He's been off the dating circuit for more than two decades. He racked his brains for a clever line. Then decided to just come out with it.

"I'd like to come with you Patricia."

She smiled at him.

"Come on then." she said.

Their love-making was wonderful. The best sex he'd had in years. Certainly more exciting than chess! But he was aware that this was partly because Patricia was different. Different smell, taste. And different noises towards the end.

"I haven't had a climax like that in years!" she enthused, in their afterglow.

"Me too." he replied, ridiculously pleased.

Ironically, Caroline seemed a little flirtatious when he got home. He let it pass unremarked, already sated.

And so the affair continued. Ron and Patricia had sex several times a month. Mostly at her house on Thursdays; her husband's regular night out. Once, on a Monday night in a nearby hotel, Ron using a different excuse to Caroline. His sex life with her diminished even more. So did his chess skills. But he did lose a little weight.

On a rare evening out with Caroline, they went to see 'The Truman Show' at the cinema. On the drive home, Ron mused over two things he'd noticed in the movie. The line that the show's fans were using: 'How's it going to end?' And, in fact, the end. Truman breaks free from his mundane life and heads off into the unknown. Food for thought. No matter how careful he and Patricia were, this situation could not last.

And things came to a head a month later. Patricia was waiting for him outside the hall.

"Skip the chess and come to my car." she said.

Ron was surprised; she usually came by taxi. He figured drinking in the pub might not be on the agenda, and was hoping she didn't want a session on the back seat; he hadn't done that since he was nineteen. As soon as they got in, he leaned across to kiss her. But she pushed him away.

"Don't!"

"What's wrong?"

Patricia recalled how he had come straight to the point, at the outset of their affair. "I'd like to come with you Patricia." It seemed the best approach; just spit it out.

"Please listen. It's all over Ron, and you have to go to a clinic. Eric has given me chlamydia, and I may have passed it on to you."

"Jesus! One of his trips away I suppose?"

"Probably. He's absolutely distraught and believes it's a judgement on him. He has owned up to his hotel affairs and has started tracking down the women he may have given it to. And got it from, of course. He has begged my forgiveness and asked if we can try again."

"And you're going to?"

"I am. Chlamydia takes about a week to clear up once you start getting it treated. I asked him if he was prepared to wait some months before I'll trust him and have sex with him again, and he said he'll wait as long as it takes. I've never seen him so contrite. This has scared him badly; he honestly seems like a changed man."

"Did you tell him about us?"

"No. I can't see how that will help the situation. I want to go and play chess now; as if my life is like normal. I mean the normal before we... you know. It won't be easy, but it has to be done."

They played two games. Patricia won them both. Outside afterwards, she shook his hand. It felt ridiculous.

"It's over Ron. We have to get on with our lives now. Not as if nothing ever happened. Just with some treasured memories."

"Yes." he said, still shell shocked.

"You know you must tell Caroline. It's a legal and moral requirement. But I would appreciate it if you could avoid mentioning me."

"Least I can do." he agreed. "I'd better do it tonight."

He went home with a heavy heart. Caroline was up and waiting. He'd prepared his speech on the way, but suddenly it abandoned him. Again Ron didn't know what to say. She looked at him and turned off the tv. 'Good start.' he thought. 'I'll begin with that old cliche.'

"Caroline, we need to talk."

He sat at the dining table and she joined him.

"OK." she replied. "I think I know what this about, so do you mind if I go first?"

"Go ahead."

"I think you'll agree that for some time now we have been drifting apart. It's my fault of course. I'm sorry Ron, but I've been having an affair."

"What?"

"This is difficult, please don't interrupt. It was with someone who usually partnered me at the bridge club. We sometimes used one of the rooms at The Regent Hotel. And the reason I'm telling you this now, is because you have to go to clinic and get yourself tested. His name is Eric, and he's given me chlamydia. I may have passed it on to you."

"Eric? Chlamydia?"

"I'm so sorry Ron. I just pray we can get past this.

jmm999
jmm999
903 Followers