Human

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I just hoped the little imps kept their mouths shut enough." Ben actually laughed. "Guess they managed it somehow."

"Managed...?" Barbara opened her befuddled eyes and saw that the envelope was open too. The contents weren't legal paperwork, but... photos. Pretty ones. "What the hell?"

"Our story was junk." Ben looked away, out a window as he spoke. "It wasn't just fiction, it was bad fiction. The setting was too idyllic, the characters were too flawless, and the real plot was ignored because it made you squirm in your seat."

"I know." Barbara leaned back, letting herself lose a bit of the tension that'd gripped her. "It was happy and sunny, and the first dark cloud ruined the whole picture."

"So we start writing a new one. Illustrate a new book with detail. Characters with shitty personality traits that piss off everyone around them, and illustrations with... um, y'know... detail. Like, dark... lines?" That goofy, wide grin of his that Barb had missed with everything in her made an appearance as her husband shrugged. "Crap. I'm not good at metaphors and stuff."

She touched his cheek. "Ben... you kinda are." She laughed too loud, she couldn't help it. She felt like someone had brought her back to life. "Hell, I feel like I'm at a poetry jam right now."

He grinned at her some more, then it faded and he let out a big breath. "Barb, I won't apologize. For leaving. I had to. It was too much to be around you after..."

Barbara sat up straight again and skootched over next to him, pressing her leg on his. "I know. You shouldn't be sorry, but... fuck, I must be crazy to say this..." Despite her resolve, she could only look down at his chest. "I'm not sorry either." She felt him go rigid, and she plowed on. "Not for laying it all out that morning you left. I could have thrown myself on your mercy, claimed that I was the worst scum alive, didn't deserve you, and that I'd do anything debasing to just be in your presence... but that would have just been more lies."

"You're not wrong." Ben still wasn't moving, despite the admission.

"We do deserve each other." She began to raise her gaze, venturing a few centimeters. "I know with all of me that there's no one out there better for either of us, and I wouldn't want there to be. What happened..." She froze, then shook her head. "Shit, I'll just say it. It was good. It was necessary for us to be honest, and to keep something worse from happening. Something like us waking up one day a decade from now and realizing everything was just... hollow. Flimsy. If that happened, one of us would screw up, and who knows if we could have come back from it at that point." Barbara rallied, twisted her body to finally take him in fully again, and cupped his beautiful face in her hands. "I mean, we're not young anymore..."

"But we're not old." Ben put his palms over the backs of her hands. "And... what happened... was bad, but endurable. If it'd been worse, later, we might have run out the clock bitter and wasted."

"Might have." Barbara gave a hiccupping little laugh suffused with glee. "Because it won't happen now? Please tell me that's what you're saying."

Ben raised the photos in his hands, the ones depicting a lone cabin in a picturesque forest. "The girls loved the idea when I ran it past them, and Cynthia hates it... but is willing to give me the benefit of the doubt." He gave a light snort. "She thinks I'm a coward, I know it, but I also know she feels guilty, and I leveraged that to get her to set this up."

Barb rubbed her shoulder again. "Probably not so much guilty anymore."

Ignoring that, Ben went on. "We leave. For a month. We go to this place I've, uh, already rented..." He watched her, and she could tell he was waiting for her indignant outburst at his assumption.

Her response was to lean into him and curl a leg over his. "I think I get it. A place where it's just us. Where we have to live without anyone running interference." She smiled. "A test."

"Cynthia will take the girls." Ben rubbed the back of his head. "After seeing them in the pool when I came in... I think the real problem will be prying them out of here when we get back."

"There'll be two of us to do it. I have no doubt." Barbara was rubbing his chest now, not in a sexual way whatsoever, but with a need. A need to feel him again. To know he was real, and with her. "When do we leave?"

Ben kissed the top of her head. "I can't get enough of your bravery."

"I live for your confidence." She kissed his chin.

"I hate your giggle."

"I loathe that mole on your forehead."

"When you kiss me, my cock hardens every time. And when you try to get creative, I know I'll probably have to massage your ego for a week after."

"Every time you use the word cock, I cringe. And every time you get creative, I float on air for a week after."

Ben tilted his wife's chin upward. "I'm going to become an impatient moron again one of these days. Probably a day soon, whether I want to or not."

Barbara swung over and nestled into her husband's lap. "I'm going to be an oblivious idiot, and I'm going to keep being one way past the point when I should have wised up."

When his lips crashed into hers, each one melted. They made out like they did on their first date, decades ago, for a good--very good--ten minutes. Then, for three times that long they... broke in Cynthia's husband's new sofa. If Barbara felt guilty about that, well, it just one more thing on the list by that point.

After, disheveled and mostly disrobed, Ben and Barbara looked at each other, and he was the one to break the spell, though by deepening the magic, ironically.

"I hate everything about you that's hate-worthy, my beloved bride. Lucky for me, I think I'm about to find out that the things I can love about you, I mean the actual, true things that I'm going to discover, are gonna bury the others pretty damned deep."

Barb put his cock in her mouth.

Words. Sometimes they were just pointless.

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
75 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Barbara: "I'll just say it. It was good. It was necessary for us to be honest, and to keep something worse from happening. Something like us waking up one day a decade from now and realizing everything was just... hollow. Flimsy. If that happened, one of us would screw up, and who knows if we could have come back from it at that point."

===> Ok that passage made zero freaking sense. That is a crappy post factem rationalization for a terrible set of deeds. I enjoyed the rest of the story before and after, but THAT was bogus mental masturbation. A more practical point would have been for her to observe that they needed counseling to work out why this happened and how to make it work after their time at the cabin. That is the real world.

I like the dialog and the emotional pathos but also nuance. It comes off as visceral but also genuine. Clearly neither of them is evil. She made a terrible choice based on some burgeoning obsession over her age and desirability, and he went for immediate payback.

Ironically the tables got reversed to some extent regading sexual insecurity as she was honest about the 15 mins total of mediocre sex, the first part of which she barely remembered, before he stupid "I was seduced by a master" rationalization, but he told her nothing about hate f$cking the village bicycle (Dandy Candy) and spending the night at a hotel. But for most of us guys, lack of confidence in the ability to please our spouse is a gut shot when infidelity is revealed. So while he is not a saint, him going to see Candy is not necessarily unexpected. Then again she was confident in her own sexual prowess and history with her husband, so thr effect was blunted. But honestly that is often asymmetric across genders in the real world as for men it is a paramount concern. Whereas women are more worried about intimacy and emotional attachments.

I am fine they reconciled (or will reconcile). Two shitty one night stands, one in response to the other. There is no doubt that both of them thought long and hard about all their marriage. Heck he went off thinking for six months, and she knew how much she had screwed things up.

But as the dialog went further on it started to get overly philosophical and filled with metaphors. There is a reason why people in troubled marriages got to counseling. While it doesn't always work, there are established methodologies, to get to the truth and to use exercises to regain trust and respect. Thr problem is that too many only enter counseling when it is too late. Not so for these two.

The whole point is that we cannot read each other's thoughts. And a married couple needs to communicate. Something they have done almost zilch over six months. I am sure Ben seeing her remain chaste during that time helped shape his approach. But sex and philosophy will not heal a damaged marriage, as well as open and honest emotional communication. Something went stale in their marriage. Either one or both of them took something for granted. They need to work on that. Confront and find a way to address it.

Regardless, the aforementioned quote is like the relationship equivalent of the (nigh useless) philosophical argument of the anthropic principle regadding the universe. They need practical communication, and not just sex in a cabin. Still 5 stars but was on verge of dropping it to 4 stars due to the silly "anthropic" quote.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Solid 5***** Great, realism. I felt the despair. I think the reconciliation after the separation was believable. I think the wife still got off a little easily (no pun intended), but still spot on. I'm not a fan of the revenge-fuck concept, but it actually worked really well here. GREAT WORK.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Really great story man 5 stars. I truly believe Ben HAD to sleep with another woman in order for reconciliation to be possible, but not out of revenge. The first reason is because she needed to know what that agony felt like. Now she's experienced that same pain and is far less likely to do something so stupid again. The second reason is balance. If he hadn't slept with another woman then there would always be this tiny wedge in the marriage knowing she had 'one up on him'. If he just took her cheating without dealing out commensurate pain, I think deep down she'd lose some respect for him because he let another man take her with no consequences. With her knowledge that he forgave her the first time--and without feeling that pain herself---she'd probably subconsciously feel she could do it again. Now she knows the pain and the price. Balance.

Oatmeal1969Oatmeal19696 months ago

the wife's remorse felt a little soft, otherwise the story was fine and a different attempt at reconciliation.

EightyThousandEightyFiveEightyThousandEightyFive6 months agoAuthor

I'm not one to usually comment on my own stuff, but I have seen one thing in the comments pop up a couple times that, for some reason, I feel the need to clear up. It's a failure of my writing that this didn't come across, but I in no way meant to illustrate that Cynthia set up Barb to cheat. It was just as Barb said; she coordinated things and then... a whole lot of unfortunate outcomes. Barb was suspicious to walk into the office because she'd pretty much given up hope, and, as people do, she lashed out. Cynthia was unhappy with Ben because she thought he shouldn't have left at all. In other words, was loyal to her friend, and was repaid with accusations.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

At the End of the Tour A good man is taken for granted and disrespected.in Loving Wives
Let Go CEO wife fires husband. What follows is the aftermath.in Loving Wives
You Can Go Home Again She destroyed his life. Can she build it back again?in Loving Wives
Requital He caught her cheating; she thinks he's overreacting.in Loving Wives
Unwanted Memories A hated wife's coma becomes a chrysalis for a new life.in Loving Wives
More Stories