I Always Wanted To Be A Cop Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter Nine

The Trial

In Florida there is the 180 Day Speedy Trial Law. That means an accused person has to be brought to trial in that time frame. Once the trial date has been set both the prosecution and defense can ask for continuances. However, if the prosecution goes beyond the 180 day rule the defendant can be set free. The defense not bound by this stipulation.

Once Washington's defense team learned that the prosecution was seeking the death penalty they tried every legal trick to delay his trial. Finally, after the third continuance expired the judge ordered them to be prepared for trial in ten days. There would be no more continuances granted.

In spite of the high priced anti-death penalty attorney brought in from Miami the trial was a slam dunk for the prosecution. The jury of seven men and five women, six white and six black, deliberated for less than four hours. The verdict was guilty on all five counts. On the count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon the judge sentenced him to ten years. On the armed robbery charge he got twenty years. Both sentences to run concurrently.

The judge then reconvened the jury a week later to determine the penalty for the three murders. After six days of testimony for any extenuating circumstances the court was adjourned for the jury to deliberate Washington's fate. At four o'clock the following afternoon court was reconvened. The jury had reached a decision.

The defendant was instructed to rise while the jury foreman read the decision. The foreman, a thirty something black male, began reading.

"As to the first count of murder in the first degree of Judith Coates the jury recommends DEATH. To the second count of murder in the first degree of Darlene Geiger the jury recommends DEATH. To the final count of murder in the first degree of Susan Geiger the jury recommends DEATH. So say we all," he finished sitting back down in his seat.

"Does the defendant wish to make any statement before I pass judgement?" The judge questioned Washington.

He shook his head and said no.

The judge then continued and after recounting the heinous nature of the crimes. He said. "It is the sentence of this court that Leroy Carver Washington be executed at a time and place to be determined by the State of Florida in accordance with the verdict of a jury of your peers. God have mercy on your soul." After thanking the jury for their service he dismissed them and adjourned court.

As Washington was being led away, shackled and in handcuffs, I said just loud enough for him to hear, "I'll be there to watch when they stick that needle in your arm ending your miserable life."

John and Mary Sullivan, my mom and dad, Stan and his wife, along with several members of the Police Department were with me when the sentence was handed down. It was over. Almost eleven months since the murder of my wife and little girl and justice had finally prevailed.

Out in the hallway from the court room the jury foreman came up to me and shook my hand.

"In case you were wondering why it took so long for us to reach a decision," he said, "we had our decision within five minutes of getting back to the jury room. We didn't want to chance our decision being overturned on appeal for lack of due deliberation and that's why we took so long."

The Coates family was also in the hallway and I walked over to tell them what the foreman had said to me. I had come to know them quite well over the preceding months. Mrs. Coates, a single mother, had been working a second job at the convenience store in order to save enough money for her two children to go to college.

Both her son and daughter were good students in school and even with financial aid would not have been able to attend the university in Gainesville without her working that extra job. John and I looked into their background and we decided to fully fund both of their college educations. It helped us knowing something good would come out of this tragedy.

After leaving the court house I drove to the cemetery. Standing in front of Darlene and Suzy's graves I told them how much I loved and missed them. The man who had taken them from me had been captured, tried and convicted. They could rest in peace knowing I would always remember them.

Chapter Ten

Moving On

I had been coming to Denny's for breakfast since I went on midnights two months ago. I was easier to stop for breakfast there than going home and fixing something. Since I had the next two days off I decided to run some errands instead of going home and going to bed after eating.

The place was unusually packed this morning and since tomorrow was my day off I really was in no rush to be seated. I watched as a young woman, who was waiting ahead of me, was escorted by the hostess to a table. When the hostess returned she came up to me and said that the woman told her to ask if I would like to share the table with her as the restaurant was so crowded.

I agreed and grabbing another menu she led the way. Sitting down I thanked the young woman for offering to share her table with me. She was pretty, no make that beautiful, with dark brown hair and deep blue eyes.

"You probably don't remember me, do you?" She asked.

When I acknowledged that I didn't. She continued speaking.

"My name is Rebecca Dickerson and I remember you. You saved my life over eight years ago when you shot that man who was trying to rape and kill me. I told you then that I would never forget you."

"When I read about your wife and daughter being killed I was horrified. Why do bad things happen to good people? I don't know. Anyway I came to their funeral at Saint Anthony's. I saw how distraught and sad you were and I just wanted to run up, put my arms around you and tell you that everything would be okay. Just like you did for me."

"I read in the paper a while ago that the man who killed them was tried, convicted and got the death sentence. I glad of that. He deserves it. You have been in my thoughts and my prayers everyday for all these years and I am so happy to finally get to meet and talk with you again."

"By the way, how is your mom?" I managed to interject.

"Mom died two years ago." She sadly answered. "For quite awhile after that incident she was afraid to go out with any one. Did you know that she had gone out with that guy several times? He seemed nice enough in the beginning but then he started suggesting weird things to her. He wanted to have a threesome with her and me. That's when she broke it off and told him not to come around anymore. You saw how well that worked." She told me.

"Anyway she finally met a really nice guy. They got married six years ago. He treated her her like a queen and I really liked him. They moved up to a retirement community south of Ocala four years ago. There was nothing for me there so I decided to stay here and go to school." She continued.

"Mom would call me every Sunday evening. One Sunday when she called she sounded terrible. There was a flu bug going around and she must have caught it is what she said. I asked her if she had gone to the doctor and as usual she had put it off. I made her promise to go the next day."

"The following morning around ten my cell phone rang. It was Bill, her husband, he told me that mom had gotten really sick in the middle of the night and he had rushed her to the emergency room. It was too late. She died shortly after arriving."

"So when I finished my bachelor's degree in elementary education I got a job with the school district here in Broward County. Today is a school holiday so I decided to treat myself to breakfast this morning."

Saying that she put her hand on my forearm and said, "and I'm really glad I did."

"I am too," I echoed.

Walking out of the restaurant an hour later we were met with a torrential downpour typical in South Florida during the rainy season.

"Oh, darn! I didn't bring an umbrella with me." She exclaimed. "Looks like I'm going to get soaked waiting for the bus."

Not wanting the morning to end I said. "I'll give you a ride. Wait here while I run and get my car."

"No, that's too much trouble for you. I'll just wait here until it lets up. I was going to take the bus and run some errands and go shopping at the mall." She answered.

"Hey, it's no trouble at all. I need to pick a few things at the mall myself. If you don't mind coming home with me for a few minutes while I change out of my uniform we can go together." I replied.

"Okay. If you are sure it won't be any trouble? I would love that." She said.

After finishing running all our errands and shopping we stopped for a late lunch before I took Rebecca home. When she gave me her address I recognized it as one I had been to before. The place was well known for drugs, gambling and prostitution. When I voiced my concerns she told me she was aware of it. This place was the only one she could afford close to the bus stops and the school at which she worked. Paying off my college loans doesn't leave much left over for a better place to live.

Her apartment was on the third floor and, as we walked up the outside staircase, I asked why she didn't use the elevator. Her reply was that it was too dangerous. "You never know who going to get on with you. It's just safer for me to climb the stairs."

Walking down the corridor to her apartment I noticed half the hallway lights were off and it was semi-dark. As we approached the door to her apartment I stopped her. The door to her apartment was partially opened with fresh marks on it where someone had pried the door lock to gain entry. I could hear noises inside.

Stepping back I told her to dial 9-1-1. "Tell them there is a burglary in progress. Give them your name and address. Tell them that Officer Rick Geiger is inside your apartment and he is armed and needs assistance."

Removing my weapon from its holster strapped to my left calf I went inside. I surprised two men rifling through Rebecca's belongings.

"Police!" I shouted. "Do not turn around! Put your hands on top of your head and interlace your fingers." When they complied I then said. "Now slowly go down on your knees. Make any sudden moves and, believe me, I will shoot you!"

A couple of minutes later I heard a voice from the hallway. "Geiger, where are you?

"Back bedroom. I have two down on their knees." I shouted back.

***************

I did exactly as Rick instructed. I called 9-1-1 gave them my name and address and what Rick told me to say. The operator told me to stay on the line and that help was on the way. I heard yelling from inside my apartment but couldn't make out what was being said. When I relayed this to the 9-1-1 operator she told me the police were in the parking lot and were on the way up the stairs. I saw two officers emerge from the stairs at the end of the corridor. They saw me and ran to my apartment and went inside.

A couple of minutes later they came out with two men, who I recognized as living downstairs, both in handcuffs. Rick followed them out. Coming over to me he took my hand and led me back into my apartment. I was absolutely horrified at the damage those two men had done. Everything I owned was scattered about. The contents from the drawers of my dresser had been dumped on the floor. Stacked next to the front door was my school issued laptop, my mother's jewelry box, along with my small flat screen TV and DVD player.

I couldn't help but to start crying. I fell heavily onto the sofa and Rick sat beside me.

Putting his arm around me and pulling me close, he said. "You'll be okay. It's over now. They won't be back. But you can't stay here tonight."

"Where can I go?" I cried. "My friend, Susan, is in the Keys with her fiancé or I would be able to stay with her. I haven't any money for a motel even if I could find one."

"We'll gather up your things and you will stay at my house tonight. Tomorrow we'll figure out something." He said to me.

***************

When I told Rebecca that she would be staying the night after with me that fateful day little did I realize that when I said that we would 'think of something' that 'something' would be her moving in with me permanently. So when we couldn't find an apartment she could afford or one of which I would approve. I suggested she move permanently into the guest bedroom. She agree with the stipulation she would pay me rent. After some argument I agreed. So once a month she paid me $500 and I simply put it into an investment fund in her name without telling her.

She was a joy to have around. I no longer was allowed to do any house cleaning or do any of the cooking. That was great because my idea of a gourmet dinner was a frozen burrito from the microwave.

She was always there to greet me when I came home no matter what shift I worked. It wasn't too much longer that we started going out in the evenings on my days off. Rebecca soon went from being a roommate to being my girlfriend. I soon fell in love with this beautiful, charming and articulate young woman.

Chapter Eleven

"Bravo 6, 10-50 (stopping vehicle), 10-28 (check registration) tag Alpha, Charlie, Hotel 3379." I radioed dispatch.

The driver had pulled to the side of the road just as soon as I lit him up with my blue lights. I pulled in back, slightly to the left of his stopped car to protect him from passing traffic. As I approached the car I saw a young man in the uniform of a U.S. Marine.

"As he handed me his driver's license I said to him, "I pulled you over for exceeding the posted speed limit of 45 mph. I clocked you in excess of 60 mph."

"I'm sorry. I have no excuse for speeding, officer. I just returned home from being deployed in Afghanistan for a year. I am on my way home to see my wife and baby girl. I haven't seen her since she was born. I guess my mind wasn't on my driving."

Taking his license and some paperwork for the rental car from him I walked back to my patrol car and ran the license through DMV. It came up clean. Dispatch confirmed the rental car registration.

Here was a young man who had made a sacrifice in his life to do what was right for his country. There was no way I was going to give him a speeding ticket.

"Corporal Samuels," I said to him after handing him license and paperwork. "Slow down. You wouldn't want to have an accident after all you have been through for the past year. Your wife and baby need you home safe and sound. Remember slow down and pay attention to your driving. Go home. Be safe. Have a great reunion with your family. Thank you for your service."

After thanking me and promising to obey the speed limits he left. As I was walking back to leave the scene a speeding car side swiped my patrol car and then struck me. It was the last thing I remembered until I woke up in the hospital.

I had listed Stan as my emergency contact in addition to my parents. He was contacted and, since he was aware of my relationship with Rebecca, called her.

Regaining consciousness and becoming aware of my surroundings I found her sitting beside me, holding my hand and with her head laying on the bed next to my chest.

"What happened?" I asked.

Stan, who had been sitting on the other side of my bed answered. "Drunk driver who didn't obey the 'Move Over Law' hit your patrol car and then you."

"Rick, you were really lucky. You went over the top of his car and not under it. You've got a broken left ankle and a severe concussion. The doctor will fill you in on the particulars later."

Rebecca then said, "I was so worried about you when Stan called. I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without you in it. I love you. I have always loved you."

"You are going to be okay. We will get through this together," she said with tears streaming down her cheeks.

The doctor came in and checked me over and then announced that I would be released the next day providing I had someone to stay with me, just in case.

"That's not a problem doctor," Rebecca told him.

Rebecca drove us home the next morning. Helping me with my crutches we went inside. I had just sat down when the phone rang. It was my mother. Rebecca spoke with her for a few minutes before handing the phone to me.

After assuring, and reassuring and reassuring my mom again, that I was all right and she didn't have to drive down to take care of me I handed the phone back to Rebecca.

She spoke with my mom and told her everything the doctor had said. That all I needed was to rest and stay off my ankle for awhile. Everything would be fine but she would call each day with an update on my condition.

Mom must have said something because Rebecca giggled and answered. "Yes, I know. Don't worry I'll take good care of him.

After lunch I said that I wanted to go to my bedroom. I couldn't take any pain killers because of the concussion but I needed to lie down for awhile. She helped me into the bedroom and as she hung my shirt up in the closet I saw she had moved some of her clothes into my closet.

"I think I need to sleep in here with you in case you need something during the night," she explained.

I recovered some weeks later and went back to work. She never moved back into the other bedroom and I was all to happy to have her share my bed.

In April, during Rebecca's Spring Break from school, I decided to take some time off and we would visit my folks in Pensacola. Even though they knew all about Rebecca, and how much she meant to me, they had never met face-to-face.

Oh, to be sure my mom and Rebecca had talked on the phone numerous times, even after my recovery, it still would be the first time actually seeing one other.

We arrived late in the afternoon after a long, but pleasant, drive. Rebecca was a big hit with both mom and dad. Mom said Rebecca could have the second bedroom and I could sleep on the sofa in the living room or go to my sister's house. I told my mom that it wouldn't be necessary, Rebecca and I had been sharing a bedroom ever since my accident.

When I said that, mom stuttered, "oh my. Okay." Dad just winked at me, grinned and asked when was the wedding going to be.

"Just as soon as possible after he asks me." Rebecca replied to my dad.

"Well, I was going to wait until tomorrow. But now is a good a time as ever." Producing a ring box from my pocket I got down on one knee in front of her.

"Rebecca Dickerson, I love you deeply. You mean the world to me. Will you marry me?" I managed to stammer. (In case you are wondering. The ring I gave her was not the one from my safety deposit box.)

Before I could regain my feet, Rebecca dropped to her knees and throwing her arms around me said. "Yes! Yes!"

After we both regained our feet and mom had managed to recover enough to hug her and then me saying. "We have to call Beth right now and share this news with her and Pete."

Dad shook my hand, patted me on the back and congratulating us said to Rebecca, "welcome to the family sweetheart."

Twenty minutes later Beth, Pete and the two girls showed up. Pete had brought a couple of bottles of champagne with which to celebrate our engagement. And we did celebrate long into the night.

One evening shortly after we returned to Fort Lauderdale we went out to dinner at the Sea Watch Restaurant overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. We had just been seated when John and Mary Sullivan walked in.

I pointed them out to Rebecca and told her who they were and what they meant to me. She insisted that I get up and ask them to join us for dinner.

When I brought them to our table Rebecca stood as I introduced them. She hugged each of them. We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Telling them about our plans to be married was met with enthusiastic congratulations. Both Mary and John wanted to know all the details of the upcoming event.

As we left the restaurant and said our goodbyes I saw Rebecca whisper into Mary's ear and Mary whispered something back to Rebecca. Some months later Mary told me what the two of them had said to each other. It didn't surprise me. Rebecca had a way about her that made everyone love her. She and Mary became the best of friends. Mary soon began to think of Rebecca as a second daughter.