I Can't Believe It's You

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,928 Followers

"Thanks, Mike," she smiled, sniffling; "You're a very kind man."

"Nah," I laughed, making her giggle.

Okay, then," she said smiling, completely changing the subject, "Let's get your physical therapy started."

Abbey began by wheeling me to one of the padded tables, and then having me take off my sweatpants, leaving me in the shorts she'd previously instructed me to wear. With my prosthetic leg still in place, I sat back on the table while she gently massaged my leg, now with the cast no longer on it, slowly waking it up. I could literally feel the heat from the fresh blood flow bring life back into my leg from the wonderful massage that Abbey was giving me. Damn, this girl was good, I thought to myself.

Still though, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something oddly familiar about Abbey as I watched her doing her job. "What did you do before you went to Vietnam, Mike?" she asked, breaking me out of my reverie.

"I was in my junior year of college," I said, "Then I dropped out, joined the Navy, and volunteered for Hospitalman "A" School. Once I graduated, I was a Navy Corpsman so; I volunteered to go with the Marine Corps, front line duty, Vietnam."

"What were you studying in college?"

"I was studying to be an English teacher," I grinned, "I wanted to teach high school."

Jeez, having to deal with high school students all day," Abbey teased, "No wonder you volunteered for Vietnam," as I fell into a fit of laughter.

"You know," I laughed, "You don't look old enough to be out of high school yourself."

"Now wait a minute," she teased, "I'll have you know that I graduated high school when I was sixteen, and I just graduated and became a Registered Physical Therapist last semester. Oh, and I'll be twenty in four months, thank you."

"So,' I asked laughing, "What made you want to be a Physical Therapist?"

"I like helping people, but I didn't want to be a doctor, all those years of medical school and such" Abbey replied grinning, "Then, my Aunt Leigh came back from Vietnam. She helped me to decide what I wanted to do."

"That's pretty neat," I smiled, "It sounds like you and her are really close."

"Yeah, we are," Abbey smiled, as if she were looking off into an imaginary distance, "Aunt Leigh is my favorite relative of all. I mean, I love the rest of them, but..."

"I understand, sweetie," I laughed, "I have relatives like that, too."

"Yes, you do," she replied, "I met your sister, Kate, and I think she's one of the nicest people I've ever met."

After Abbey finished messaging my leg, it was time to stand up on it. I wheeled myself over to the parallel bars and locked my chair in place. "Okay, Mike, you can do this," I silently told myself.

After making sure that my prosthetic leg was secure and in place, I grabbed the bars in front of me and began to stand. I've developed very good upper body strength over the years, and I was thankful that my arms were strong enough to hold me. Although I could stand on my leg, there was still a fair amount of pain that radiated from it. But, I was quite sure that I could handle it, provided it didn't get too bad.

However, when I went to put my weight on it, I was of an altogether different opinion, as the pain shot from the middle of my shin, all the way up to my knee. "Oh shit, that hurts," I swore, immediately shifting my weight onto my prosthetic leg.

"Aw come on, Mike," Abbey laughed, "You gotta try harder than that. Besides, you know what they say, no pain; no gain."

She knew how to motivate me, that much was certain. However, when I tried again, the pain was much worse than it was before, and this time it was unbearable, turning my entire body into aching mass. I looked down and noticed that, although it wasn't swollen, my leg felt as if it were about to burst open, it hurt so badly.

I sat back down, and almost exhausted, replied, "That's it for today, Abbey. I'm through."

"You're funny," Abbey laughed, pointing at me, "You're real funny," and continued laughing till she was sitting on the floor beside me, in near hysterics with her hands holding her stomach.

"You wanna let me in on it," I angrily snapped, "I sure as fuck don't see anything funny."

The moment she heard me say the word 'fuck', she stopped laughing, her face now holding an angry glare as she looked at me and frostily said, "I'll tell you what I do see. I see a strong young guy that has the pain tolerance of a two year old, and cries at the first little ache."

"Who the hell do you think you are?" I growled, "You don't know shit about my pain, little girl."

"Oh yeah, well, I'll tell you what," she heatedly said, "There was an eighty-two year old woman that came in here with almost the same exact injury as yours. On her very first attempt, she walked half-way down the bars and back. So, don't go cussing me because you're scared, you big baby."

"Who're you calling a baby," I angrily bellowed, "I'll show you baby, you snot-nosed little shit." With that, I stood back up. I knew it was going to hurt like hell, but I was not about to give in to some kid, nor was I about to give her the satisfaction of knowing she got the best of me. Slowly, I put one foot in front of the other, intense knife-like pain slicing through my leg with every step I took. I pushed myself to keep going until I could go no more, and when the pain became too intense, I looked up and realized that I'd walked the entire length of the parallel bars.

Abbey was standing there grinning and holding my wheel chair for me. As I sat down, she handed me a towel to wipe off the sweat that been pouring down my face by the bucketfuls since before I was even halfway down the bars. "I'm so proud of you, Mike," she smiled, "I knew you could do it."

"Oh yeah?" I laughed, "Well, you knew more than I did."

"No, I knew you could do it, Mike, "she giggled, "Besides, Katie was right about you."

"She was," I grinned, "And what was that?"

"She said that the best way to get you motivated," she paused for effect, "Was to get you really pissed off," and then Abbey began laughing all over again.

"Silly ass girl," I laughed, shaking my head.

And that's how it went for the next three weeks between Abbey and I. When I told her that I wanted to stop, she would do or say something that would piss me off to the point that I would do whatever exercise she had planned for the day, just to keep her from getting the better of me.

~~~~~~

The last week of therapy consisted of getting me ready to return to work. I was walking, unassisted, all over the place and I felt on top of the world. Then on the last day, I walked into the therapy room that morning to find Abbey waiting for me. However, she was not her jovial and jocular self that day. Something was bothering her, and it was clearly written all over her face. I noticed it the moment I sat down. "What's wrong, Abbey?" I asked, concerned.

"It's my Aunt Leigh," she replied, tears threatening to spill down her face at any moment.

"What's wrong?" I asked, beginning to really worry, "She's not hurt or anything like that, is she?"

"No, it's nothing that bad," she giggled, wiping her eyes and sniffling slightly, "It's just that...oh, hell, you don't need to hear this stuff, because...."

"No," I quickly interrupted, "I'm here to listen if you want to talk. Besides, you made me get up off of my stubborn ass and help myself so, I owe you."

"Okay, I'll tell you," Abbey smiled, "When my Aunt Leigh came back from Vietnam, she wasn't herself. She seemed real sad for a long time."

"If anyone can understand that," I said, tapping my prosthetic leg, "I surely can."

"That's right," she smiled, "You were there, too. Anyway, she told me that right before she left Japan, where she had been temporarily assigned at the hospital there before she came home; she met this guy that had come through there with a leg injury similar to yours. She said he was the most beautiful man she'd ever seen, and that she flipped over him the first time she laid eyes on him. But, they had a strict rule about fraternization between the staff and the patients. It was a definite No-No. I went to her house last night for dinner, and she told me that she has been searching for him ever since she came home. Then she showed me a letter that said all searches for him had been exhausted, and that nothing else could be done. She looked like she'd given up, and it was so sad."

By this time, tears were pouring down her cheeks like rain, and it bothered me to see her upset like this. So, patting her on the shoulder, I smiled and said, "Why don't you and her come down to Doc's Pasta House tonight, and I'll treat you both to a feast that's fit for a King."

"I can't let you do that, Mike," Abbey protested, "Besides; I hear that, while the food is excellent, the prices are a bit too steep for my finances right now, and I'm not real sure that Aunt Leigh will want to get out."

"What if I told you to tell your Aunt that my feelings are going to be hurt if you and her are not at the restaurant at eight o'clock, sharp, this evening?"

"No, Mike," she protested, "It's too expensive, and I know for a fact that on a professor's salary, you can't..."

"Wait a minute," I interrupted her laughing, "I own the place, or did you not know that?"

No, I didn't, "giggled Abbey, shaking her head and hugging me, "What am I going to do with you, ya big goof?"

Before I left the training room that morning, I made sure that Abbey had my name, address and telephone number in case she ever needed me for anything. I felt that I owed it to her for all the shit she had to put with from me while I was under her care. Let me tell you, she was a tough girl when she had to be, but she was also very encouraging and caring. However, what mattered more to me than anything, was the fact that I had made a very good friend in her, and I felt she done the same with me.

~~~~~~

Chapter Five

When I was released from the hospital that afternoon, Phil was there to pick me up, telling me that everyone was waiting for me at my house to give me a big 'Welcome Home'. As we pulled into my driveway, Katie came running out the front door, waving her arms in the air and giggling like she used to do when we were younger. "Mikey," she squealed, as she threw her arms around my neck while I got out of the car, "It's so good to have you home, big brother."

"Hi, Katie-Bug," I replied, hugging her, "It's good to be home."

"We're having a party tonight, Mikey," grinned Katie, "And you're the guest of honor, sweetie."

The moment I walked into my house, I was greeted by several of my students, as well as a few colleagues. The girl that took care of my yard, Trisha Hawkins, was there as well. "Hey Doctor Mike," she smiled at her special name for me, and giving me a hug, "I'm glad you're home. I really hated seeing you all laid-up in the hospital."

"I hated seeing me there, too," I devilishly grinned, "They gave me some good drugs, though."

"Doctor Mike," Trisha gasped, blushing, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Then I leaned in so that only she could hear me, and quietly said, "Look young lady, you and I both know that you've got three nice sized marijuana plants in that hot house...err...I mean laboratory hidden neatly behind my house. However, I want one third of the yield when it comes harvest time."

"You got it," she quietly replied, "I knew you were cool like that, Doctor Mike."

"I don't need to tell you that you and I are the only people who are to know about this," I warned, "Do I?"

"Jeez, Mike," she giggled, "Are you nuts or something?" Then she leaned up and kissed me on the cheek grinning, and said, "Welcome home, Doctor Mike, ya big doofus."

Jack Thomas and his wife, Jane, were there wearing giant grins on both of their faces. "Mike, it does my heart wonders to see you up and walking about," said Jane, in her genteel southern Texas accent while hugging my neck at the same time.

"Thank you, Jane," I playfully teased, "It does my heart wonders to see you looking so young theses days. Jack must be doing something right, hmmm?"

"Oh Michael," she giggled, while I winked at Jack, "No wonder you and Jack are such good friends. You two are both scoundrels." All three of us laughed.

In a few moments, Katie got everyone's attention and said, "I'm glad all you guys are here. We're going to continue this party at the restaurant at seven o'clock this evening. Doctor Winslow needs to get some rest before tonight so, please everyone; we'll hopefully see you all tonight." Doctor Winslow...jeez, it definitely made me sound like I was ancient when Katie said my name like that.

Katie has a way of letting people know what she wants without having to come right out and say it, and this time it was no different. On their way out the door, everyone made sure to make their way around to where I was now seated, all bidding me nice farewells as they left.

"Whew," smiled Katie, right after the last guest was gone, "That wore me out."

Then she started looking at me funny, wearing a knowing smile that told me she was up to something. "What is it, Katie, what're you up to now?" I warily asked.

"She won't tell me either," said Phil, after I shot a questioning glance in his direction.

Before I could say anything else, Katie came over and sat right next to me on the couch. Then she took right hand in both of her hands, and laid her head on my shoulder like she used to do when we were little. Knowing that I have never been able to say 'No' to her, she looked up at me, and said, "Mikey, I want you to do something for me tonight, and I don't want you to ask me any questions, okay?"

"Alright, Katie," I sighed, relenting "I'll bite, what is it you want me to do?"

"Well, it's a surprise of sorts," she replied hopefully, "And I want you wear your best suit tonight. Okay?"

"Okay, little sister," I smiled, "Besides, I have guests that are coming to the restaurant tonight."

Oh, really," Katie replied, smiling cryptically, "Who are your guests, big brother?"

"Do you remember my therapist, Abbey Whitley?" I asked, Katie nodding her acknowledgement, "Well, I invited her and her Aunt to have dinner with us tonight."

"That's great, Mikey," Katie knowingly grinned, "It sounds like we're all going to have a very good time tonight."

~~~~~~

As soon as I woke from the nap I took after everyone left the house earlier, I took a nice hot bath, something I'd missed when I was in the hospital, and let the water soothe my aching muscles. Afterward, I shaved and cleaned up, then went to get dressed. When I took my doctorate's degree, I splurged and brought in a tailor and had her measure me and make a suit that fit me extremely well. It was dark blue and I wore a white shirt with a blue tie and Stacy Adams loafers on my feet. As I looked at myself in the full length mirror in my bedroom, I had to admit that I looked damn good that night, or at least I thought so.

When I walked into the living room where Katie and Phil were waiting for me, Katie whistled, and gently throwing her arms around my neck, kissed me on the cheek and teasing me, said, "Holy shit, Michael, you sure clean up good."

"Oh hush, silly girl," I laughed, "Are we ready to go?"

~~~~~~

The moment I stepped into the restaurant, everyone there rose from their tables and began to applaud me, welcoming me back home from the hospital. I was very grateful for such a thing, and as I looked around, with the exception of one or two tables, I noticed that at one time or another, everyone who was there had all come to the hospital to visit me during my stay. "Thank you all for coming tonight. It means a great deal to me that you're here," I said, as Katie led me to the back banquet room where our party was going to be held.

As soon as I sat down, Kimmy Davis, the girl I trained to run the kitchen in my absence, brought out a bottle of Château Lafitte Rothschild, vintage 1960, and set it on the table in front of me. "What's this?" I asked after seeing the label on the bottle, "This is some very expensive stuff so, I know you didn't just run down to the corner market and pick up a bottle."

"It's like this, Mike," Kimmy said smiling, taking the seat beside me, "We all love you very much, and when you were in the hospital; we were all very worried about you. So, when we decided what we were going to get you as a welcome home gift, we all pitched in on the price, and Katie got it through our liquor distributor. We hope you like it."

By this time, the entire restaurant staff was gathered around the table so, I stood, and fighting the tears that were threatening to spill down my face at any moment, I smiled and said, "Thank you all for this very thoughtful gift. I know now that Katie and I made the right decisions when it came to hiring each and every one of you. I love you all like you're family, and I'm grateful to be able to call you my friends. Once again, thank you!"

All of the female staff members made it a point to either kiss me on the cheek, hug me, or both, while the only three men that worked there shook my hand and gave me a quick smile.

~~~~~~

It was nearing eight o'clock when Katie came into the back room looking like a little girl who had a secret and was about to burst wide-open before she could tell someone.

"What's up, Katie-Bug?" I asked.

"Your guests have arrived, Mikey, she excitedly replied, "And they're looking for you."

"Where are they?" I asked impatiently.

"Carla, (our hostess), sat them at table four," she smiled, "Why don't you go say hello?"

As I walked into the main dining room, I grabbed a tray, put two empty water glasses on it, with some rolled silverware, and made my way to their table. I was looking forward to meeting Abbey's Aunt, Leigh. She was in 'The Nam' too, and I thought it would be nice to talk to a fellow Vet. Little did I realize what lay in wait for me when I reached their table?

Table four was close to the front of the restaurant, near the front window. As I neared the table, I saw Abbey, who sat with her back to the window, facing the back of the restaurant. Sitting with her was a woman whose face I hadn't seen yet, but she apparently had long blonde hair that fell softly down her shoulders. When I reached the table, Abbey rose and said, "Doctor Mike Winslow, allow me to introduce to you, my aunt, Miss Heidi Leigh Blake.

"Hello, Petty Officer Winslow," she said, as she rose and faced me with a single tear falling down her beautiful cheek, "I've been looking for you for a very long time."

When threw our arms around one another and time stood still. I looked into her eyes, desperately trying to hold my composure, but my whole body was trembling, and all I could say was, "Heidi, I can't believe it's you." Suddenly I heard applause all around us, and Katie and Abbey were both crying while hugging one another. "How...what's going on...h how did," I stuttered, tears now streaming down both mine and Heidi's faces.

"Is there somewhere we can go to sit down and talk, Michael," Heidi smiled, "There's so much I need to tell you." Needless to say, I immediately took her to the back room to our private table.

~~~~~~

Once we were seated and alone, Heidi smiled, and wiping her eyes with the handkerchief I'd given her, said, "I don't know where to begin, Michael."

"Why don't you start at the beginning," I replied smiling, "And take all the time you need."

She took a deep breath, then began, "This may sound childish to you, but when we were in Japan and they assigned you to me, I fell in love with you the first moment I saw you, Michael."

Even though I was being an insufferable bastard to everyone," I asked grinning.

"I knew it was all a front," she replied, placing the palm of her hand against the side of my face, "You were afraid and I understood that, but I still loved you anyway."

MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,928 Followers