In the Vineyard Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers

"No, thank you. But, I'm glad you said it like that. It gives me hope. About us. And, it makes me think that I'm not wasting my effort being in love with you." Ana heard those words and wondered. What sort of a man believes that he is in love after a three day relationship? A man who admits that he has had no sex partners for years? Obviously, Ana thought, this man is lost and looking to be found. Was she in the same circumstance, equally lost, looking to get away from Greg? Miles walked a few steps in front of her. They were, by this time, almost back to the winery building.

"I love you, Ana Palmer," Miles yelled. He ran a few steps forward and yelled back to her. "I love you, I love you, I LOVE YOU!"

Ana was comfortable knowing that no one was around on a Sunday morning.

Then she heard a voice. "Miles, is that you?" It was the unmistakable sound of Cassy Combs. Of course! She was back for her car!

Miles ignored it. He ran some steps forward. He was coming up on the amphitheater now. Seeing the structure, he got an idea. Miles walked into the amphitheater, and stood on the stage. "I love Ana Palmer!" he shouted. He shouted it from each angle of the stage. "I love her! I love Ana! I love you, Ana! I love you!"

Ana made it up to the edge of the amphitheater. Miles jumped off the stage.

"I love you," he said to her.

"I heard," she said back.

"What did I tell you?" Cassy had walked out toward them. "One in a billion." Apparently Cassy's memory of last night was quite clear. "Ana, what do you say back?" asked Cassy. "What's your response?"

Miles jumped in. "That's not fair. Ana can take her own time."

"Come on, Ana. Lets hear it. What's your response?" Cassy was using her reporter voice.

Ana looked at Miles, at Cassy and back again. Think, Ana, she said to herself. What did people in love act like? There were Vern and Chris, they were in love. Why not Ana and Miles? They were nothing like Ana and Greg, or, she realized, like her mother and father. Is that what is was? Ana barely recognized love, so she wouldn't admit it? Think, Ana. Do what your heart tells you.

"I think I love you, Miles Delong. No, I do love you. " Ana heard herself say. Her intellect added something. "At least I think this is what love feels like."

"I won't let anything hurt you. Ever." It was Miles, standing close to her.

"Now, that's what I call a happy ending," said Cassy Combs. She walked back toward the parking lot. "Come visit me sometime when you're in the city. We'll do lunch. On me!"

Miles had wrapped his arms around Ana. She buried her head in his shoulders. "We'll take you up on that," he shouted back toward Cassy. "I have some other winery plans you might be interested in." Ana thought, he always keeps half his brain on business. They stood there, embracing, for several minutes.

"I didn't' mean for this to happen like that," said Miles, after Cassy drove away. "If you want to tell me you don't mean it, its ok. "

"No. I believe that I do mean it. From the inside of me. From the heart, you might say."

Miles smiled. "I know that I said that was a goal, but it doesn't mean that I'll stop trying. I won't stop trying to make you happy. "

"I thought we were going to hit the road," Ana said.

"You're right. I need to lock up."

They walked back in the front door of Miles home. He excused himself to go to the bathroom, and Ana started to gather her things and put them back in the overnight bag. Miles came out as she brought it back down the stairs.

"I guess you won't be staying tonight"

"I didn't really pack for it. I only planned for one night."

"Most people want fresh underwear every day, don't they," Miles said, smiling.

"At the least."

Miles stopped by the cabinet where the computer was stored. He opened it up and pushed some buttons on the computer. Within seconds, a weather map materialized. "Clear today. And for awhile," Miles said. He put the computer back on standby and closed the door. "Do you need to do anything? Brush your teeth, whatever?"

"No. I'm fine. I'm ready."

"I just need to grab something," said Miles. He went back into the kitchen and rustled around. Ana didn't see what he took, but he emerged carrying a paper bag.

"Ready," Miles opened the door and Ana went out. Miles locked the door.

"Hey, I didn't ask. Do you want me to drive my truck or do you want to take your car? It doesn't matter to me. Just be warned that the truck is a little rough. But it is dependable."

"We can take my car," Ana said. "In my opinion it cost too much, but it is a great car, with a smooth ride. And a CD changer, sunroof, and all of the latest safety features."

"OK by me." They walked around to the cars. Ana unlocked the car with the key. She held to key toward Miles. She was surprised when he shook his head.

"Your car. You can drive." Seeing Ana's expression, he added, "I know, I've seen you."

She forced a smile "Of course I can drive. I just assumed you would."

"Isn't that just a little sexist, Ana? " Miles asked. "Man drives, woman rides. What's the point? Besides, its been a long time since I've driven a small car. I'm used to a full sized pick up. Doesn't it make sense that you drive?"

"I guess so." Ana opened the driver side door and sat down. Miles got in the passenger side. It might make sense, but she felt awkward - Greg always drove, no matter whose car they took. She started the car and was mildly annoyed when Miles leaned back the seat, relaxing.

"Go back into Creekboro, first. I want to make one stop there. Do you know the way?"

She practically snapped. "Of course. How do you think I got here, if I didn't go through Creekboro?"

"Sorry. I just wanted to make certain. As you get into town, you'll make an immediate left." He sat up and looked at her. Something had her upset.

He needed to figure out what he had done, or said. I think I've been alone too long, he thought.

Ana drove down the road slightly above the speed limit. She passed a police car, then slowed down. Miles turned back.

"He didn't turn back. I forgot to tell you, they're bad on Sundays here."

Ana was silent, concentrating on driving. If he insists that I drive, then I'll drive, she thought. She drove on, watching her speed.

"Stop," said Miles suddenly.

"What? " asked Ana, still going forward.

"You missed the turn. Either stop and turn around or take the next left that looks like a through street."

Ana had driven into Creekboro without noticing. She slowed, then took the next left.

"And left again," said Miles.

"I could figure that," said Ana. She turned. "Tell me where I'm going," she said.

"Just a couple of blocks. Little hardware store. You'll see it up here, on the corner."

Sure enough, they came up on the Wichert Brothers Hardware Store. The 'Open' sign was displayed in the window Ana parked the car and shut the engine off.

"Keys," Miles reminded Ana. He got out of the car, carrying the bag, and Ana followed him inside. The store was dimly lit. Two men sat on stools behind a counter, one a thin older man with a gray beard, the other, similar looking, but his beard was black. They were nearly identically dressed in camouflaged pants and long underwear shirts Each had a plate of food in front of him. As Miles entered, the older of the men said, "Well, here he is." Ana had the impression that Miles came in frequently on Sundays.

"We've got extra in the back," said the younger man. He spoke with a mild southern accent. "Get yerself a plate," Then he noticed Ana. "Hey, pop. Look who's got himself a friend. Hello, Miss," he addressed Ana, smiling.

The older man squinted at Ana, but didn't say anything to her. He instead spoke to Miles. "Looks like you got lucky. You better be actin' like a gentleman these days."

Miles grinned. "You bet I am."

"Me and pop wondered who it was pullin' in here in that fancy yellow car. We'd a never guessed in a thousand years it was our friend Miles."

"This is my friend Ana. That's her car."

"Please to meet you," the older man said. "Tim, where are your manners?" The father carried his place of food through a narrow door behind where they sat. The son followed. They emerged, minus the food, the father wiping his hands on a cloth that he handed to his son.

"Now, what can we do for you?"

"Couple of keys," said Miles. Ana saw Tim grinning at this. Miles removed two keys from a ring he pulled out of his pocket. He extracted another key with an odd shape from a different ring. The old man picked up the keys and took them to a machine sitting on the side of the counter. Tim was still staring at Ana, and she started to feel uncomfortable. Miles, noticing this, spoke to Tim over the whir of the key machine. "Good year for grapes," he said.

"That's good. You know, me and pop keep meaning to get over there and see that place. We always like the wine you bring. You didn't happen to bring any with you, this time?"

"Of course," said Miles. "He opened the bag and extracted two bottles. "The labels came out wrong, I can't sell these. Consider it an early Christmas gift!"

"Doubt if we'll wait that long," said Tim. "Lookee, pop." The old man looked over and nodded. He had finished the second key and was comparing it to the original. Tim carried the wine back to the back room. Miles called after him. "Don't let us interrupt your breakfast. We're leaving in a minute, anyway." Tim emerged with his plate looking grateful and sat back on the stool. The old man finished the third key, and placed all six down in front of Miles. "Let me see, " he said. "Make it two dollars, even." Miles removed a wallet from his pocket.

"Wait," said Ana. She had been trying to decide whether or not to offer her condo key. It'll be ok, she said to herself. Its just for an emergency. If something happens, I can always get the locks changed. She removed the key from her ring.

"You don't have to," Miles said.

"No, I want to." But Ana was confused. Just a short time before, she was professing her love, then, something small, like making her drive, managed to upset her, even though he apparently didn't notice her reaction.

Miles handed the three keys one by one to Ana. "Front door. Office." He smiled at her, handing her the last odd shaped key. "Tractor." She thought again that he was making fun of her, but he looked genuine. He looked back at Tim. "You should see this beautiful lady work around the vineyard. She not only lifts the lugs of grapes, she can drive a tractor and split logs!"

"Sounds like you found a keeper," the old man called over the whir of the key machine. He finished the key and handed them to Ana. "This character can be a rascal," he said with a twinkle in his eye. "What he needs is a good woman, settle his ass down. Sounds like you're the type that can keep him in line!" He grinned. "That being the case, no charge for this one - still two dollars even!"

Miles laughed and paid. "I think you're right. She's one special lady!"

Ana smiled at Miles and handed him the key. "Front door," she said. He placed it on his large key ring.

"We'll see you later," said Miles, walking out the door.

"Make sure you get back here for some deer here soon." Said the older man.

"Why don't you go huntin' with us this year?" the son asked.

"I'm a farmer, not a hunter," Miles responded.

"Think about it," said Tim. "You lady friend might be impressed if you bring home a six point buck."

Miles laughed back. "We'll see. Later," he said opening the door. He was still carrying the bag. Seeing Ana look at it. "I'm taking some wine to Jack, too. I want him to try a few things. He's not supposed to drink much because he's on some medication. But he can taste, even if he has to spit."

Ana paused again before getting into the car. Miles saw her hesitation. He had a guess as to what had upset her.

"Look, Ana. It doesn't bother me if you drive. I'm not that insecure. And, I know that you're pretty, well, pretty independent. " Miles almost said 'headstrong,' but decided that might be taken as an insult. "We can make our own rules. It doesn't have to be man on top every time, you know." Despite herself, Ana laughed.

"You're right. I'm just so used to being with Greg - he always drove, even my car, from the first date. But, I don't mind driving. I used to drive a lot of the time for work."

"I'll make you a deal - you drive there, I'll drive back. Fair?"

"Fair," she said.

They got in the car. "Just get on the highway and head east," said Miles. He was glad he brought up the driving question. He liked the side of Ana that was more daring and confident, and one thing he really didn't like was women who acted weak.

Ana was silent as she drove toward the freeway. Maybe Miles was right, she thought. So much of the time, she felt Greg wanted to stifle her, to limit her. And, for years, she fought back, although she had long since given up questioning little things, like who drove, or who paid at a restaurant. Even after the divorce, Greg always paid. She thought about that - maybe if she had made more of a point of showing that she was a separate person, even by asking for separate checks, maybe then, Greg, even her parents, would start taking her more seriously. But, whatever else, Miles didn't seem to find her aggressive side any less attractive. In fact, he preferred that part of her, she decided.

"I planned that we would go visit Jack for a couple of hours, depending on how he feels, then we'll go do the shopping. And, we can stop for lunch in between. I know a nice little place. I'm hoping that we can talk Jack into going out with us. I suspect he hasn't been outside for the last week or so, and getting out usually does him some good."

Ana nodded. She drove on, following the signs on the interstate for Mount Union. Miles suggested that she take an earlier exit than she'd planned. "It's a much more attractive drive, not that much slower. And, frankly, I'm not a fan of high speed highway driving, if I can help it." Ana agreed and pulled off the highway. "Turn left, " said Miles as they came to a stop sign. An arrow pointed to the left - Mount Union, 10 miles.

Ana stopped, then made the turn. She felt suddenly calmer, and could see that the highway driving had indeed been stressful on her, although she hadn't realized it at the time. She noticed right away that the terrain was different than either the bustling, growing suburban area she lived in or the rural quiet of the winery's surroundings. This part of the state was taken up with small farms. Ana was glad she had instinctively adapted a slow and leisurely pace - just a few yards from the highway, she came up behind a buggy full of Amish. She waited until the road was clear, then passed them. Miles looked out and waved as they drove by. The rolling hills ahead were covered variously with animals - sheep, cattle and a few horses. Antique farm houses sat well back from the road at the ends of long gravel or dirt lanes.

"Jack wanted to get out of the city," Miles explained. "Mount Union is a nice size of town. Small enough for a WalMart, anyway. And, its not as far as you'd think - depending on what side of the capital you're going to, it doesn't take much longer than going from the winery. The interstate runs a little eastward. And the traffic is usually going at high speed. In fact, one of the reasons I don't like to take the highway all of the way is that the Mount Union interchange has been so built up during the last few years. Its covered with fast food, gas stations, and strip malls. Taking this way, we'll sneak into the old downtown part of Mount Union."

Ana drove along, thinking. She knew that this visit to Jack was important to Miles, but she wondered what to expect. She had only once seen old Mr. Formby, and never met him. She tried to imagine someone who Miles respected, but who also had that intolerant attitude about Brandon's lifestyle. She had difficulty fitting those two parts into one person.

The countryside began to be more populated, the houses were closer to the road, and closer to one another. The nice weather brought many people out, sitting on their porches, mowing the grass, children playing with dogs. Miles seemed to need to fill the silence.

"Probably the last time this year to mow. We'll see the cold moving in next week, I'd guess." He looked over at Ana. "Hey, are you OK? You seem quiet? Not still mad that I made you drive, are you?"

Ana wasn't sure why she felt quiet. She shook her head to Miles question about the driving. "I guess I'm just thinking a lot. Typical quiet Sunday behavior."

"I guess I should have asked if you usually go to church. You might assume that I don't. Just got out of the habit when I moved out to the winery. Too busy, and nothing really close. One small church in Creekboro, and it's drive to town otherwise."

"Me neither," said Ana. "I haven't been since Easter."

"Maybe its something worth thinking about," said Miles. "Everybody needs to believe in something."

Ana agreed. "But, I tend to need it more sometimes than others."

"Maybe its more important when you're younger. I was just thinking that I went every week when I was little, and I joined a youth group as a teenager. And, I've told you that my dad was a musician. He used to play at the church for holidays and special events. The people at our church usually booked his band to play their receptions or parties. Maybe having that early exposure to faith and prayer gave me something to fall back on when things got tough." Miles was very thoughtful. "Not that it was entirely successful. I still went through a pretty deep depression and some self abuse for awhile."

"I guess I would agree, I mean about an early exposure to church. I was a far better churchgoer when I was younger. As I got older, I fell out. Greg was Catholic - I'm not, and never converted - so we went to the Cathedral for the major holidays, but really no other time. Miles nodded. They sat in silence for a minute. Ana began to be uncomfortable and was relieved when Miles broke the silence. "Hey, Ana?" He, too found the silence awkward although he was enjoying looking at her.

"What is it?"

"I didn't mean to get too heavy or anything. And, don't get the wrong idea, I'm very open minded about religion. I've read a lot of different things, and I think there are good points made in a lot of different...flavors of religions. But, I thought that maybe we should start talking about some things other than, you know, wine, sex, and how beautiful you are." He leaned over and kissed her lightly on the side of her face. "And you are beautiful, by the way. You grow on me every day."

Ana laughed. "You grow on me, too. Or at least your beard does!"

Miles pretended hurt feelings. "Hey, my strength is in this beard. Cut it off, and I won't last as long. During sex, I mean."

Last as long, Ana thought to herself, who's he kidding? Ana was beginning to realize how inept a lover Miles was, but she wasn't ready to tell him so.

"Oh, no, don't do that. I'm just starting to get used to making love with you. But, I...we... need more practice. "

"You've got it," Miles said. "Pull over here, if you like."

"You're kidding, " Ana said.

"Maybe. Or maybe not. Find an empty spot and see."

Ana looked over at Miles. His blue eyes were staring at her, teasing and challenging her. "I like that sweater," he said. I can see your nipples, if I'm at the right angle." He bent his head down and sideways. Ana was embarrassed.

"Its not too see through, is it Miles?"

"Not really. I really, really have to strain. Now, if you take the cardigan off, that little thing beneath is somewhat risque."

"That's the point of wearing one over the other."

"I see. Just to tease the likes of me. To torture me with knowing what's there that I can't quite see."

SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers