Inner Fires Ch. 02

Story Info
Cinder, now a teenager, tests her mettle in the dojo.
10.3k words
4.69
2k
0

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/30/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Azin
Azin
52 Followers

A few years passed, with Cinder diligently studying Paul's teachings on martial arts, growing stronger and taller with each year that went by. The man who was still alive after the attack on the Magic-kin girl turned out to be completely innocent of any wrongdoing, as he had in fact been attempting to talk down the man who had been incinerated by Cinder's magic, when he ignored the surviving man's words, and attacked. The man was initially fearful of Cinder upon seeing her again at the police station along with Paul, though his fear was abated over time as he realized that she was more scared of him than he was of her.

Eventually, the young girl began to warm up to the man, whose name was revealed to be Flint Copper, a member of an adventurer's guild by the name of Genesis, and Paul expressed sympathy at Flint's feeling of powerlessness when it was time to stop his partner from attacking Cinder. Flint expressed frustration that if Cinder had not been what she is, she may have died before his eyes, the man unable to help her in time.

Paul offered to take Flint in, though he asked Cinder if she was comfortable with this prior to making promises. Visibly hesitant, the young girl was not eager to let Flint join them, but she relented out of a desire to not disappoint her new father. Over time, Flint and Cinder both overcame their traumas that were based around each other, and they became almost like siblings, training and playing together through their travels as the last ten years went by.

"Oh, yeah. That was exactly ten years ago, huh?" a teenage Cinder quietly mutters to herself as she stares up at the private room's ceiling, the rented room inside of a rather nice inn, located inside the capital city of Tengoku. She sits up and gives a large yawn, covering her mouth with a hand before looking over at the window, the blinds lowered to keep the sunlight out, "Good morning, world...let's see if I can pull today off. Oh, I'm so nervous."

Going about her morning routine of bathing, changing, and other hygiene, Cinder ponders on the best strategy to accomplish her goals for the day and make the most of it. Once clean and in a fresh pair of clothes, she grabs her new bag, the old one replaced a few years ago after it fell apart, and slings it over her shoulder with a smile.

"You got this, Cinder. It's been ten years of grueling training, no way will I'll lose," she tells herself, smiling and taking a deep breath, soon exhaling and opening her eyes wide as her smile becomes strained, "But what if I don't? Oh gods, this anticipation is going to kill me!"

Jumping softly and giving a squeak of surprise as someone knocks on her door, a familiar voice calls out to her from the hall of the inn room, her eyes looking towards it as Flint begins talking, "You awake, Cinder? Sensei says that you need to eat soon, and that you need to calm down."

"H-hey, Flint! I'm calm, what do you mean?" she says with a larger smile, making her look nearly crazed as she opens the door and looks up at the taller man, his brow raising as he deadpans, "What's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"You look like one right now, I'll tell you that much. For gods' sake, please stop smiling like that, it's creepy," Flint says with a small grimace, Cinder's expression of worry returning as she drops the act, "Now, what's wrong? You're ready, right? Slept well, feel okay?"

"Y-yeah, just...I don't know, I'm just worried about failing Paul, you know? He's done so much for me, and this is the first time I'm attempting a dojo battle, like he does all the time, " Cinder admits with a glance up at her brother figure, then chuckles softly, "I mean, I know he won't be mad, but I'll still feel pretty crappy if it happens."

"Don't worry so much, is the best advice I can give. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose, it doesn't say anything about you as a person if you don't beat some random stranger that you're going to be fighting," Flint says with an encouraging grin, patting her on the shoulder before hooking an arm around her neck and rubbing her head with his knuckles, "Now stop being a mopey goof and get downstairs for breakfast. You can always keep training, haha!"

"H-hey, stop that! Flint, I just brushed my hair! No!" Cinder playfully pleads with a genuine smile, unable to stop herself from chuckling as she tugs at the arm holding her to Flint. Soon managing to get his grip loose enough to slip free from, she turns while she lowers herself closer to the ground, then jumps onto Flint's back and hooks her the crook of her elbow around his neck, mimicking holding a knife to his cheek by using a finger as she remains fixed atop his back, "You picked a fight with the wrong gal today, Mister Flint! Surrender, and I won't gut ya like a fish, hehe."

"Ah geez, you got me. That just proves my point though, you can escape from my headlock and turn the tables on me so easily," Flint reassures with a chuckle, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Well that's cause you're not very strong, my friend," Cinder claims with a cheeky grin, making the man narrow his eyes at her, "What? It's true. Me and Paul always kick your butt in sparring these days, right? The last time you beat me was three years ago, haha!"

"You're lucky that you're like a little sister to me, Cinder...or I'd fill your drawers with Itchroot powder," he says with a soft frown, then sighs and gives another chuckle before heading towards the nearby stairs, "I'll see you downstairs, unless you're coming with me."

"Sure, I'll join you. I'd love to get a bite to eat before the fight, it will help give me enough energy to keep going just a little bit longer," Cinder says, recalling the times where she did not eat breakfast, yet still attempted to train that day, "It makes a big difference, doesn't it?"

"Well, yeah. You already know that food is fuel, are you okay?"

"I...I think so, yeah. I feel okay, I just...forgot, alright?" Cinder says with a glance to the side, the two reaching the stairs before starting to descend them, "I had a weird dream, about when we met. You remember, right?"

"Unfortunately...not that the rest of our time together hasn't been a pleasure, it's just not a good first impression for either of us, I think," Flint admits with a glance down at Cinder, unsure of why that would come up today, "You really must be nervous."

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, Cinder remains silent as they make their way to the inn's dining room, chairs and tables set out for the many guests that stay here. Many of the seats are occupied, though there are a few visibly empty tables among the crowded locations, and a waving hand draws Cinder's attention towards a lone man sitting in the near distance.

"I think that's him, Flint. Shall we join him?" Cinder asks her friend with a grin, not waiting for his answer before heading towards the table and taking a seat beside her father, smiling at him, "Hey, Paul. Good morning, how are you?"

"I am quite well, Cinder. Are you prepared for what is to come later?" Paul asks with a wink, chuckling a moment later and giving her a pat on the shoulder. Flint soon catches up and takes his own seat across from Paul and Cinder, the two men seeming to be in a good mood, "Welcome back, Flint. I take it that she did not give you too much trouble?"

"Oh, loooads of trouble, Sensei Paul. She didn't want to get showered or changed, and kept asking for a few more minutes of sleep," he answers with a grin, glancing over at the mentioned girl and internally chuckling to himself as he spots her frown.

"Hey! That didn't happen! I was ready to go when you got to my room!" Cinder says with creased brows and a visible scowl, her hands tensing on the table.

"Then she kept whining about how hot it is, and how many people there are, and- Ow!" Flint yelps with a wince as Cinder kicks his shin under the table, making him give an apologetic smile and raising his hands in surrender, "Okay, okay. I'll stop, I'm sorry. She's telling the truth, Sensei."

A woman wearing a server's uniform approaches the table a moment later and introduces herself as their waitress for the morning, writing down each of their orders before taking her leave and allowing the group to return to their conversation.

"So, Cinder. If you are truly ready for today, then I believe you will show me what you have learned in wonderful form," Paul remarks to the fire-haired girl with a reassuring smile, which seems to ease her worries for the moment, relieved that her father believes in her, "Though that doesn't mean that you should slack off, either. You must give it your all, and there will lay a chance of victory."

"Yes, Sensei. I will do my best to make you proud," she declares with a grin and a thumbs-up, leaning an elbow onto the table.

"I bet you'll wipe the floor with them, whoever winds up being your opponent," Flint says with a chuckle, leaning back in his chair and resting his hands on the back of his head, "You've seen her in action, Sensei. I know she can do this."

"Victory is not something that should be assumed before the end of the battle, young Flint," Paul rebuts with a knowing smile, taking a sip from his tea before sighing in relaxation, "After all, what you learn from defeat can be so much more valuable. Good tea here, I must say."

"What? Why would I want to lose, though?" Cinder asks with a tilt of her head, furrowing her brows in determination, "I get what you mean about learning from defeat, but I'm still gonna do my best to win. I'll make sure that we don't lose our honor to some no-name dojo."

"This 'no-name dojo' is owned by an old friend of mine," Paul says without a hint of upset, though his words still make Cinder shudder in nervousness, his narrowed eyes and sly smile directed straight towards her, "I thought it would make a good test of your abilities to fight the student of the man I once called my fiercest rival. Does this sound honorable enough for you, Cinder?"

Nodding her head rapidly, Cinder remains silent and looks to the side, seeming embarrassed about her words, Flint's chuckle earning a glare from the fire-haired teen, "Why are you laughing? You called his Uncle's shop ugly, you're no better than me."

"It is!" Flint declares, Paul chuckling softly at the exchange of words between them, no malice hinted from either of them, "It's a statement I will stand by, young lady! There are too many creepy statues in there, alright?"

"Shut up, or I'll punch you right below the belt, Flint," the Magic-kin girl playfully threatens, waving a clenched fist in his general direction, "You wouldn't like that, and neither would I. Cause that means I'd have to go wash my hands in fire."

"H-hey...I bathe regularly, thank you," Flint says with feigned hurt, looking away with a quivering lower lip, "Sensei, Cinder is being mean to me again. Could you ask her to take a dive off the nearest pier for me?"

Chuckling in response, Paul simply takes another sip of his tea and closes his eyes, enjoying the atmosphere, and the two student's bickering. The waitress soon arrives with their food, and the group begins to chow down, ready to take on the day, and its challenges.

=====

"Sensei?" Cinder asks with a neutral tone, her now bandage-wrapped arms casually resting at her sides, and her face set into a deadpan as she stands near the gates to the dojo along with Paul and Flint.

"Yes, my student?" the man in question inquires, looking up at the building before them without sparing Cinder a glance, making her eye twitch with annoyance, "Is something the matter?"

"Sensei...you never told me that the dojo would be an academy!" Cinder belts out with a fair bit of nervousness, grabbing at her hair with both hands and grimacing as she takes in the sight of the dozens of students training outside. Numbering at least one hundred, Cinder gulps as she realizes that they all have excellent form and movements as they go about their daily exercises in the front training yard, "Oh, this is so not good... No, I just need to think of this as a...as a trial! Yes, I can still do this..."

"If you're finished speaking to yourself, we can head inside," Paul suggests with a playful smile and a wink, stepping towards the torii gates and underneath one of the large red wooden structures, several times his height, "Though if you want to continue, and draw more attention, then feel free to remain outside."

Blushing as she glances around and realizes that she has indeed drawn an audience, several passersby stopped to look her way in concern, "N-no, that's okay. Let's go inside, Sensei."

Chuckling in amusement, Flint follows behind Cinder as she passes under the gates as well, Paul waiting for both of them at the door to the main dojo building, located at the top of the many stone stairs layering the hilly terrain. Using a hand to open the door before him, Paul leaves the duty of closing the door to his students as he looks around with a fond smile, battle cries and shouts heard from the thirty or so students practicing inside at the moment.

"You really are still alive, you old bastard," a voice says from their sides, drawing the visiting group's attention and making Cinder balk at what must be the most muscular old man she has ever laid eyes on. His muscles almost bulge out of the black gi worn on his body, the belt around his waist marked with ten black stripes, something Cinder recalls meaning that this man is one of the strongest martial artists in the known world, "You really did bring students, too! You always told me you wouldn't take on anyone as a student when we were young, what changed, you senile donkey's ass."

Utterly stupefied at the dojo master's words and appearance, Cinder's jaw drops in response, Paul smiling happily as he steps towards him, a hand raised to shake, "I learned how to care about someone other than myself, you self-righteous geezer. I can't remember the last time you actually brushed that unkempt mane you call a beard."

"Gahaha, it really has been too long, my old friend!" the muscular man declares with a huge grin, wrapping his thick arms around her Sensei and lifting him into the air, Paul returning the gesture, minus the bodily lifting, "I can't believe it's been fifteen years! You've changed so much, I can already tell. You're less of a cranky asshole, for one."

"Yes...I have indeed changed much since we last met, Yamatetsu," Paul says with a happy smile, the now named Yamatetsu putting him down and giving him a pat on the back before the burly old man turns his attention to the one's his old friend has brought with him, "These are my students, Cinder Summerpeak, and Flint Copper. They have been under my tutelage for ten years now, each."

"Ten years too early to be here then, by the sounds of it," Yamatetsu comments with a chuckle, making Cinder's eyes narrow in annoyance at the white-haired man, "That isn't meant to be an insult, young Cinder. Your Sensei is a hell of a fighter, and was the terror of the battlefields he warred in. We met at the age of fifteen, each strong enough to best a dozen armed soldiers in combat. Could you do this?"

"Never had a reason to try, I stick to the right side of the law," Cinder says with a soft scowl, folding her arms and looking to the side, though she gives a respectful bow to the elder a moment later, "It is an honor to meet you, however. Sensei has not told me much of you, but the little I do know paints you as a warrior of honor and valor. I am looking forwards to this battle, Yamatetsu-Sensei."

"Hm...this one has some brass, yet is still respectful. Good. You, boy! Where is your greeting!?" the dojo master bellows at Flint, making him hold back a shriek of fear from the intimidating old man as he bows as well, "There...that's much better! It's nice to meet both of you, gahaha!"

Sighing in relief, Flint remains bowed until Yamatetsu gestures for the two to rise with a hand, his eyes looking across the room to a student in full sparring gear. Protective plates cover his face, limbs, and torso, making for an intimidating appearance for anyone unlucky enough to fight one of these students.

"Hey, Madakawa! Get your butt over here, your opponent for today has arrived! Everyone, take a break and get some water while we get the two combatants set up and informed!" the dojo master shouts out, his voice carrying easily across the large room and bringing a chorus of cheers as they begin to rest and rehydrate, "Heh, these guys...they like these dojo battles way too much. No fun in fighting someone you know you'll defeat."

"Father, that exact line of thinking is why I must protest against your personal student battling this woman," a blonde-haired man says with a sneer as he approaches the group, the look in his green eyes making Cinder's hair stand on edge, neither noticing the student that Yamatetsu called over approaching, "She is obviously not fit to be here, her posture is lazy and her clothes clearly tell her life story! A weak woman, without a penny to her name, and without the attitude to get anywhere in the world of martial arts."

The blonde-haired man steps forwards and grasps Cinder's wrist, Yamatetsu's eyes widening with shock at his student's behavior, then frowns before taking a single step forwards. Before the dojo master can intervene, Madakawa's leg slams into the blonde man's stomach, driving the air from his lungs and making him fall to the ground with a choked gasp.

The still standing student grasps his helmet with his armored hands, sliding it up and off of his face to reveal sharp, blue eyes, an angled jaw with a small set of lips below a small nose. His black hair falling over his forehead as he smooths out Cinder's sleeve with a hand, a soft smile on his face as he regards his opponent for the day, "It's nice to meet you, miss. My name is Madakawa Higuchi, and I am Sensei's top student. I look forward to our match, and I apologize for Hiromasa's actions. I am honored to be battling you, despite his claims about you."

Chuckling softly, Cinder gives Madakawa a grin before grasping his hand and giving it a shake, a competitive gleam in her eyes. Giving a firm grip, she pats him on the shoulder with her other hand, making him wince from the strength put into the handshake, "Thanks, I appreciate it. I won't lose to you today, but I'm glad you're a good guy. You're pretty tall, how old are you?"

"I'm...sixteen years old," Madakawa admits with a sheepish grin, seeming to be feeling shy about something, "So not much older than yourself, from what I heard. You have a good grip, I respect that. Would you like to chat after our bout?"

"Unless Paul-Sensei has an issue with it, I would love to!" Cinder says with a cheery grin, giving him another pat on the shoulder and letting go of his hand, "You can show me around this huge place, we can get a bite to eat...you know, tourist stuff."

Nodding his head, Madakawa gestures for her to follow him onto the main dojo floor, gesturing towards a large mat in the center of the room, "We will be using that space for our battle. There are no victories by throwing an opponent out of this ring, but you will lose if you are out of it for more than ten seconds. Please remove your footwear before stepping onto the mats."

"Gahaha! I don't even have to explain it to him, what a sharp lad!" Yamatetsu bellows with laughter as the group removes their shoes, then steps onto the mat and follows behind the teenage student, "He forgot to mention one thing, though. It's a battle to the knock-out. You fight until one of you is unconscious, or gives up."

"Makes sense. No point in trying to kill each other during matches," Cinder says with a shrug, then takes her shoes off before leaving them on the provided shelf for them, then steps onto the mat and approaches the space that Madakawa is indicating with a hand, "So, do we wait for a countdown, or...?"

Azin
Azin
52 Followers